Author Topic: Opinions that are held by the majority you don't agree with.. .  (Read 8435 times)

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Opinions that are held by the majority you don't agree with.. .
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2014, 01:09:33 PM »
I prefer winter.  But then, I'm in Arizona, and our winter isn't exactly winter. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2014, 01:10:14 PM »
Yep, winter sucks something awful.  And I'm not just saying that because this particular winter has been particularly awful; it always sucks.  I'll take a month of 95 degree weather over a month of 10 degree weather, in a heartbeat.

Winter is by far my favorite season. Going swimming and stuff is great, but Winter has the charm and just as fun of activities that makes it the best. Winter is a super close second.

Don't you live in Florida?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2014, 01:13:45 PM »
I don't really care for animals at all.

That sucks seeing as you share the vast majority of your DNA with all of them.

I'm really struggling to see your point.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2014, 01:14:09 PM »
Yep, winter sucks something awful.  And I'm not just saying that because this particular winter has been particularly awful; it always sucks.  I'll take a month of 95 degree weather over a month of 10 degree weather, in a heartbeat.

Winter is by far my favorite season. Going swimming and stuff is great, but Winter has the charm and just as fun of activities that makes it the best. Winter is a super close second.

At the moment, but I lived in the Midwest until I was 20. Mainly South Dakota.
And I'm moving to Colorado after I graduate.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2014, 01:15:57 PM »
"Flash Gordon (1980) is an awful movie."

Flash is pure epic win.  Yes, it is campy and silly, but it is meant to be.  Hands down, it is one of the greatest movies of our time.

It is terrible. But in the most fantastic way possible.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline jammindude

« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2014, 01:25:41 PM »
"Flash Gordon (1980) is an awful movie."

Flash is pure epic win.  Yes, it is campy and silly, but it is meant to be.  Hands down, it is one of the greatest movies of our time.

It is terrible. But in the most fantastic way possible.

NO!!! NOT THE BOREWORMS!!!!!

Flash!! Flash I love you!!!  But we only have 13 hours to save the Earth!!!

I absolutely LOVE Flash Gordon.   Brilliant movie...brilliant soundtrack...just all around brilliant. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2014, 01:40:23 PM »
Why can't y'all like both cats and dogs? :lol I have 5 dogs and 2 cats and they're all wonderful.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2014, 01:46:26 PM »
@Jaffa

Sorry bro, but NIRVANA IS AWFUL. AWWWWFUUUUUL. Hated them 20 years ago (fuck) and I hate them today. The only good thing they even did was the two cover songs, Man Who Sold The World and Lake of Fire.

Nickelback too, but only because they choose to be. They have so much potential to be an awesome rock/metal band, but they only see dollar signs.

I agree about bacon. Sure it's good, but I wouldn't mind never eating it again. Bacon in Ice Cream? What the fuck?!

----

Cats are definitely superior, but I do like both animals. Just depends on the breed of dog. I had 2 black labs for 8 years (lived to 12, but the remaining 4 with my Grandpa) and they were smarter than some humans.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2014, 01:53:33 PM »
Cats are dumb, worthless animals.

Spoken like a true dog person. From my experience, "dog people" are often irrationally hostile towards cats, but "cat people" often just prefer cats to dogs and aren't obnoxious about it.
Seriously? Cat people get mega elitist. "Oh they're so clean and hygienic and intelligent and one day they'll enslave humans and it's so cute, and when they're hostile and uncaring, it's cos they're superior!" I don't mind cats, they're lovely, but their fanbase gets right on my wick. Dog people seem to know their animals are basically silly bouncing mammals - it's usually what they love about them. A lot of cat people seem to talk about their pet like it's the pinnacle of evolution.

But maybe that's just me sitting on the other side of the stream!

ETA: No, not just me, genuinely how the dialogue goes --
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CatsAreSuperior
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DogsAreDumb
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 01:58:54 PM by robwebster »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2014, 01:57:09 PM »
No, that's pretty accurate.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2014, 01:59:16 PM »
I like cats more than dogs, but I've never had either animal as a pet so I don't have a strong opinion in these matters.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2014, 02:05:05 PM »
"Creed Sucks" - I'm saying this with my love of Mark Tremonti removed....I always like Creed, and I always felt that this opinion, and knowing everyone is entitled, was a fad that was berthed from a few negative comments such as "Pearl James wannabes" or "Jesus posers", and it became cool to make fun of them. I have always rolled my eyes at this because most of the time people who have said this never gave me a legitimate reason. Those who gave a detailed reason, like "their music is too power balladery and overwrought for my taste", it didn't bother me too much. I also always wondered, this is a rock band who sold 60 million record worldwide and people claimed they hated them and never buy their music: In the words of Jim Gaffigan "I'm not a calculus teacher, but I think everyone is lying!" This band wrote beautiful passages that I enjoyed, and some of the most beautiful pieces of music Mark Tremonti ever wrote were Creed songs, like "Wash Away Those Years", "Faceless Man", and "Who's Got My Back?" I also feel like Scott Stapp was an underrated lyricist. I also hated how people labeled them a Christian rock act when the lyrics said otherwise.

Agreed with the general thought of the post.  I was going to post something similar to this, but I couldn't think of any proper words other than if "Mark Tremonti is the lead guitarist of the band, the band does not suck."  You pretty much summed it up pretty well.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2014, 02:10:03 PM »
I think Nirvana and and Radiohead are pretty overrated. Not bad, just overrated.

I think they're overrated and horrible.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2014, 02:15:11 PM »
Sorry bro, but NIRVANA IS AWFUL. AWWWWFUUUUUL. Hated them 20 years ago (fuck) and I hate them today. The only good thing they even did was the two cover songs, Man Who Sold The World and Lake of Fire.

No worries.  I wasn't expecting much support on this one.   :lol
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2014, 02:44:07 PM »

No worries.  I wasn't expecting much support on this one.   :lol
You have my support though, count me as one of those who never really understood all the hate for Nirvana.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2014, 02:49:04 PM »
I don't like Nirvana, but I see no reason at all for them to get the hate they do.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2014, 02:56:17 PM »
I think they're pretty ok. They probably got way too much love as the band that cut the Gordian Knot of a more and more self-indulgent metal scene.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2014, 03:13:57 PM »
Humid and hot summers are just as horrible as cold winters IMO.

No. I never ever EVER hate heat and sunlight.

SUMMER

Spring

Autumn

Winter.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2014, 03:14:49 PM »

At the moment, but I lived in the Midwest until I was 20. Mainly South Dakota.
And I'm moving to Colorado after I graduate.

Well...fine then.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2014, 03:24:39 PM »
On Nirvana: They're pretty well-praised and revered in general, but when you come onto a prog music forum, it's places like that where you'll see much more people who aren't into them.

On the note about cats and dogs: I love them both, as with a lot of animals. I like dogs a lot more though. I guess I'll go back and snuggle into my corner of conformity. :(

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2014, 03:42:05 PM »
On Nirvana: They're pretty well-praised and revered in general, but when you come onto a prog music forum, it's places like that where you'll see much more people who aren't into them.

On the note about cats and dogs: I love them both, as with a lot of animals. I like dogs a lot more though. I guess I'll go back and snuggle into my corner of conformity. :(

I didn't know what prog was when I was 8. Nirvana annoyed the hell out of me. In fact, all the top grunge acts did. Having Heart Shaped Box and Black Hole Sun stuck in my head was HELL.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2014, 03:49:46 PM »
Rush aren't so awesome.

Fear of a Blank Planet is BORING. The choruses are great but the rest is so dull. IA rocks :metal

Although I have one, I can't understand Internet's obsession with cats. What, are they 10 year old girls? Really?

I my country, Argentina, people get crazy about the Falklands Islands and everybody claims England to return them to us. I think the people living there should get independent.

I give a shit about soccer, tennis, rugby and all the big sports. My friends talking about soccer all the time is so damn annoying...

Buying lots of clothes. I take care of all my clothes and buy a few thing over the year but mostly when I need something. I don't get the "That T-shirt is too old." thing. If the shirt is clean and well preserved, I don't find a reason to drop it off.

Have a smartphone. I listen to music, read and play video games A LOT. But when people say that I waste my time while they are using a Galaxy S3 just to enter Facebook, take stupid selfies and chat in Whatsapp, I think they're wasting their time and money on such a powerful phone.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2014, 03:54:01 PM »
Just about everything. I swear, it isn't intentional.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2014, 03:56:20 PM »
"There is no absolute truth."

ORLY?

Let's see, what else...

-The SS haircut looks ridiculous and silly.
-Cats and dogs are both good pets (though little dogs are simply intolerable).
-The 80's were one of the best decades for music.
-Milk chocolate is for simpletons.
-Cereal with OJ is actually pretty good. (Try it!)
-The Office > Parks & Rec
-George W. Bush was not one of the worst presidents ever.
-Rainy days suck.
-Beer sucks.
-Natalie Portman is just OK.
-Emma Watson is below average.

Hopefully that offends all of you in some way, shape, or form.  :biggrin:

Dream Theater-related:
-They were better with Portnoy.
-LaBrie is above average but not amazing. :/
-JP's Budokan look was the best.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2014, 03:59:11 PM »
Coors beer and people that need a can to turn blue to tell them it's cold.  What is with this phenomenon?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2014, 04:01:42 PM »

ORLY?

Let's see, what else...

-The SS haircut looks ridiculous and silly.
-Cats and dogs are both good pets (though little dogs are simply intolerable).
-The 80's were one of the best decades for music.
-Milk chocolate is for simpletons.
-Cereal with OJ is actually pretty good. (Try it!)
-The Office > Parks & Rec
-George W. Bush was not one of the worst presidents ever.
-Rainy days suck.
-Beer sucks.
-Natalie Portman is just OK.
-Emma Watson is below average.

Hopefully that offends all of you in some way, shape, or form.  :biggrin:

Dream Theater-related:
-They were better with Portnoy.
-LaBrie is above average but not amazing. :/
-JP's Budokan look was the best.

I am unsure whether these are your opinions, or if they are the popular opinions that you disagree with.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2014, 04:02:46 PM »

I wouldn't say that's the majority opinion on that particular issue :lol  I'd say it's an EXTREME minority who actually believe that.

It isn't.

If Avatar is just Dances With Wolves or FernGully or Pocahontas or whatever else it's supposed to be identical to -

- then surely those films are similar to each other too.

News Flash : Many, many films have very similar plot lines and themes.

I don't think anyone's saying Ferngully and Pocahontas and Dances with Wolves aren't similar movies.  You haven't let some big cat out of the bag.  This isn't a huge revelation.  Obviously, if Avatar has a plotline which is pretty much identical to Pocahontas and Dances with Wolves and Ferngully, then those movies all have similar plotlines too.  That doesn't make the complaint illegitimate.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2014, 04:19:20 PM »
Love them or hate them....Nirvana will be the last *BIG* band.   The change in the shape of the music business and the way music is bought and sold (or shared...or stolen) has splintered the entire music industry.    This is not necessarily a bad thing.  It just opens up the way for everyone to be into their own artists...and for "niche audiences" to become the new standard.    I honestly don't believe you will ever have a single band or artist that is as huge, or will have the same unifying effect across all genres like The Beatles or Zeppelin or Pink Floyd or Michael Jackson, or Guns n Roses, or AC/DC....or Nirvana.  The age of the *HUGE ROCK BAND* is over.   Nirvana was the last band to unify everyone under one banner.   And I don't think there will be another band of that caliber ever again. 

Even if you hate them...you can't deny that they were as universally adored as all the other bands I mentioned....they weren't better, they just happened to be the last in a line of "earth shattering" bands that the current business model will no longer support.    It used to be that we could just wait for the next "big thing"...but there won't be a next "big thing"...   

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2014, 04:19:49 PM »
Coors beer and people that need a can to turn blue to tell them it's cold.  What is with this phenomenon?

Let's be honest, if Coors isn't cold, it tastes even worse.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2014, 04:20:45 PM »

Maybe its because I live in Northern MI, but I'd gladly take 10 degrees. I also live in a tourist town, so if it's that cold, that means all the old people/tourists are gone  :lol (I know I'm in the minority on this). If it's 95 degrees out, it means I'm working 70-90 hours a week in a kitchen with shitty air conditioning.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2014, 04:22:46 PM »
Love them or hate them....Nirvana will be the last *BIG* band.   The change in the shape of the music business and the way music is bought and sold (or shared...or stolen) has splintered the entire music industry.    This is not necessarily a bad thing.  It just opens up the way for everyone to be into their own artists...and for "niche audiences" to become the new standard.    I honestly don't believe you will ever have a single band or artist that is as huge, or will have the same unifying effect across all genres like The Beatles or Zeppelin or Pink Floyd or Michael Jackson, or Guns n Roses, or AC/DC....or Nirvana.  The age of the *HUGE ROCK BAND* is over.   Nirvana was the last band to unify everyone under one banner.   And I don't think there will be another band of that caliber ever again. 

Even if you hate them...you can't deny that they were as universally adored as all the other bands I mentioned....they weren't better, they just happened to be the last in a line of "earth shattering" bands that the current business model will no longer support.    It used to be that we could just wait for the next "big thing"...but there won't be a next "big thing"...

Nirvana ended just as Oasis were warming up. Oasis were *huge*. I think it will be a while before anyone is as big as oasis were - at least in the UK.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2014, 04:23:25 PM »
"4/1 is not a fun holiday."  Yeah, right...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2014, 04:23:54 PM »
Yeah I hate the 4th of January.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2014, 04:28:49 PM »

Nirvana ended just as Oasis were warming up. Oasis were *huge*. I think it will be a while before anyone is as big as oasis were - at least in the UK.

I've heard this before.  I've heard they were hailed as "the next Beatles" before they imploded.    And while they *did* have hits stateside...they just weren't nearly as big in the US as they were in the UK. 

My scope of how huge Nirvana is doesn't simply stem from the fact that I live in Seattle....it's because Kurt's home in Aberdeen has become a FREAKIN MECCA!!  I mean seriously....people travel from *all over the world* just to come to a tiny town in the middle of freakin nowhere (about 2-3 hours away from Seattle) just to look at the house he grew up in.    That leads me to believe that Nirvana is a slightly more worldwide phenomenon. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2014, 04:30:47 PM »
Speaking as an American, I have no idea who Oasis are.

Not that I'm necessarily a representative sample of the country at large.