Author Topic: Opinions that are held by the majority you don't agree with.. .  (Read 8433 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Opinions that are held by the majority you don't agree with.. .
« Reply #175 on: April 04, 2014, 02:15:47 PM »
Is that the same or worse than people who say they love a band having only heard their biggest hit ?

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #176 on: April 04, 2014, 02:50:33 PM »
Is that the same or worse than people who say they love a band having only heard their biggest hit ?

Worse IMO, but not by much. Giving either total praise or total hatred towards a band you know very little of is ridiculous. It's kind of why I get a little hung up on people wearing Led Zeppelin shirts at my school who've only heard Stairway to Heaven.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: April 04, 2014, 03:26:12 PM »
Speaking of which - those people who wear Nirvana t shirts and think it's a clothing brand.

:emo: This Planet. Anymore. Don't wanna live.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #178 on: April 04, 2014, 03:52:20 PM »
That's somewhat popular with the teenage girl where I'm at it seems. :lol

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #179 on: April 04, 2014, 04:02:13 PM »
Personally, none of son_ov_hades' posts have seemed even remotely ugly to me - and I love The Beatles.  Sure, he did say 'those albums suck' pretty dismissively, but only in response to someone implying that he should love those albums and that not loving them must be an April Fools joke.  I would say he had every right to be a bit flippant in that context.  And outside of that, I think he's done a pretty fair job elaborating on his opinion. 

Then again, maybe I'm biased.  I'm kind of fed up with the internet's focus on semantics.  Even if he did just say that 'The Beatles are shit', so what?  This is a thread dedicated to people expressing their disagreement with majority opinions.  To me, it kind of goes without saying that everything expressed here is going to be an opinion.  I don't know why anyone would jump to the conclusion that any post here is meant to express objective truth.

Wow it seems I caused quite a stir.  :lol But Jaffa seems to be the only one who made any sense with my posts at all. I'm perfectly happy to justify what is clearly my opinion, and getting hung up on the fact that I expressed an opinion in an opinion thread is pretty silly IMO.  :P But when someone simply says "April Fools?" and then "These albums would like a word with you" my response if always going to be dismissive and flippant. That's the equivalent of saying "no you".

S.o.h.  you are young enough.  We are talking about music 50 years ago not the 90's.  Now do I like music from the 40's?  Not all but it's not because I think they suck, I just don't like that style of music but to just come out and say "A band sucks" makes me laugh because of how influential they were and how as a band they grew in the 10 year span.

I do not like Nirvana.  Some song are cool but I do think they paved a way and were ever influential in the 90's but I'm not fond of their music.  I won't say they suck.

Just so you know I was alive and plenty conscious in the 90s.  :laugh: My favorite period in music is 1970-1977, before I was born. So the whole "you're too young to get it" doesn't work on me. I never denied any influence The Beatles had and never would. Also I never said The Beatles suck, except in jest after the word police showed up. As I said many times now, I actually like Abbey Road and Let It Be.

I'm with you on Nirvana, except I will say they suck.  :laugh: The Beatles were a thousand times better than Nirvana.

Every word of this post, and any future posts is an opinion.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #180 on: April 04, 2014, 04:51:15 PM »
"The Beatles are the best band ever" The Beatles were a terrible boy band that took a lot of drugs and decided to write extremely pretentious convoluted songs. Abbey Road and Let It Be are decent albums, everything before is garbage

This seems worse than saying they suck. :lol  Just ragging on you man.  No problems.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #181 on: April 04, 2014, 05:12:08 PM »
How can a band suck if they have two decent albums?  :justjen
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2014, 06:00:19 PM »
They were a boy band. For the second half of their career they were doing things with music production the world had never seen before. You have to remember it was the mid-60s.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: April 04, 2014, 06:31:45 PM »
Bingo!!  Orc nailed it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #184 on: April 04, 2014, 06:46:04 PM »
Just let it be  :-\
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #185 on: April 04, 2014, 07:22:53 PM »
Just let it be  :-\

Speaking words of wisdom.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: April 05, 2014, 01:59:34 AM »
The point is that you say that they suck but you don't care to elaborate why.

Yep. My friend does this. He says Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin suck, but I ask him why, and he doesn't even explain.

I bet he doesn't even have heard an entire album of these bands.

Yep! He said he's only heard Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #187 on: April 05, 2014, 03:09:11 AM »
I've heard several Beatles songs and they are just plain boring. I don't understand the appeal. I've read on here that DT's The Answer Lies Within is heavily influenced by The Beatles, but that song is way better than anything I've heard by those bugs.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #188 on: April 05, 2014, 04:31:10 AM »
Personally, none of son_ov_hades' posts have seemed even remotely ugly to me - and I love The Beatles.  Sure, he did say 'those albums suck' pretty dismissively, but only in response to someone implying that he should love those albums and that not loving them must be an April Fools joke.  I would say he had every right to be a bit flippant in that context.  And outside of that, I think he's done a pretty fair job elaborating on his opinion. 

Then again, maybe I'm biased.  I'm kind of fed up with the internet's focus on semantics.  Even if he did just say that 'The Beatles are shit', so what?  This is a thread dedicated to people expressing their disagreement with majority opinions.  To me, it kind of goes without saying that everything expressed here is going to be an opinion.  I don't know why anyone would jump to the conclusion that any post here is meant to express objective truth.

Wow it seems I caused quite a stir.  :lol But Jaffa seems to be the only one who made any sense with my posts at all. I'm perfectly happy to justify what is clearly my opinion, and getting hung up on the fact that I expressed an opinion in an opinion thread is pretty silly IMO.  :P But when someone simply says "April Fools?" and then "These albums would like a word with you" my response if always going to be dismissive and flippant. That's the equivalent of saying "no you".
That's sort of fair - I really hate the thing on the internet, where if someone expresses an unpopular opinion, someone always goes, "Oh, they're trolling, don't feed the troll." Like the only people who'd disagree with them are lying for a reaction. I think it does a bit more credit to rise above, but nobody does that all the time, I completely get the reaction of, "Oh, sod off."

It's actually the "IMO" thing that touched a nerve - that's such a piss poor fallacy! "Ugh come on guys I have to put IMO on the end of everything now??" It's such a leaky argument. Like the entire spectrum is "Doctor Who is amazing" and "Doctor Who is amazing IMO." That's less than lazy, it's nonsense, but there's a caste of keyboard warriors who think they're wonderful geniuses cutting through the bullshit of polite society, when they're actually just revealing they're a bit rubbish at expressing a coherent thought in a way that doesn't make them look a bit of a dick. Cos Jaffa's absolutely right, it's usually fine, and most cheeky posts, as yours, are made in relatively good faith. But you're writing your own history! Flatter yourself! Don't lump yourself together with those guys!

Tom Bombadil gets it - if you're writing about yourself, write about yourself! If you're writing about the band - "Queen wrote an album called Sheer Heart Attack," they're the protagonist, they're the subject of that sentence. "Queen wrote a shit album called Sheer Heart Attack" is placing it on Queen, like it's their fault for writing a terrible album, so it gets fans' backs up - "Queen wrote an album called Sheer Heart Attack which I fucking hate" is much harsher, so it's not like I'm saying "mince words and be nice about everything," but it's less abrasive. And not an IMO in sight. Writing what you mean is piss easy, more accurate, and I think it ends up doing you more credit in the long run. I think badly written opinions are often the difference between a discussion and an argument. Absolutes beget absolutes, and before long everyone's telling each other they're a twat and they're wrong for believing what they do. As you, by your own admission, discovered!

But there we go. Robwebster: internet policeman. Nee-nerr-nee-nerr. Sirens off.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #189 on: April 05, 2014, 04:57:59 AM »
I don't like Queen IMO

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: April 05, 2014, 06:23:37 AM »
I enjoy both Queen & The Beatles. :)

Innuendo is a great album. Especially the title track. And I'm going slightly mad.

But you all knew that...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #191 on: April 05, 2014, 07:03:33 AM »
I think KISS's Music From "The Elder" is quite good.

No I don't.  Sorry, couldn't pull it off.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #192 on: April 05, 2014, 08:37:02 AM »
I don't like Queen IMO
IMO of course you wouldn't.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #193 on: April 05, 2014, 09:24:52 AM »
What's that supposed to mean?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: April 05, 2014, 09:28:23 AM »
You lean toward metal more my friend.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #195 on: April 05, 2014, 09:30:43 AM »
IMO
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #196 on: April 05, 2014, 11:00:09 AM »
Adding IMO is useless if you're on a discussion board talking about things like music and movies and such. It's just implied that you're providing your opinion and people getting worked up that someone "is stating their opinion as fact" is amusing to me because it just seems like they really disagree with what was said and it's better to talk down to that person than either ignore or really answer them. Unless the person is being a real d-bag but most of the time that isn't the case.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #197 on: April 05, 2014, 11:00:23 AM »
IMO

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #198 on: April 05, 2014, 11:07:26 AM »
Adding IMO is useless if you're on a discussion board talking about things like music and movies and such. It's just implied that you're providing your opinion and people getting worked up that someone "is stating their opinion as fact" is amusing to me because it just seems like they really disagree with what was said and it's better to talk down to that person than either ignore or really answer them. Unless the person is being a real d-bag but most of the time that isn't the case.

I wonder if this qualifies as on topic?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: April 05, 2014, 11:14:02 AM »
I think people are put off when someone says they don't like a band because (then they use colorful adjectives) instead of saying, I don't like their style of music or their melodies ect...  When you are derogatory and so matter of fact that when people come to a bands defense.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #200 on: April 05, 2014, 12:42:11 PM »
Tom Bombadil gets it - if you're writing about yourself, write about yourself! If you're writing about the band - "Queen wrote an album called Sheer Heart Attack," they're the protagonist, they're the subject of that sentence. "Queen wrote a shit album called Sheer Heart Attack" is placing it on Queen, like it's their fault for writing a terrible album, so it gets fans' backs up - "Queen wrote an album called Sheer Heart Attack which I fucking hate" is much harsher, so it's not like I'm saying "mince words and be nice about everything," but it's less abrasive. And not an IMO in sight. Writing what you mean is piss easy, more accurate, and I think it ends up doing you more credit in the long run. I think badly written opinions are often the difference between a discussion and an argument. Absolutes beget absolutes, and before long everyone's telling each other they're a twat and they're wrong for believing what they do. As you, by your own admission, discovered!

:clap:

My only rationale for not always writing in this manner is to avoid redundancy, and whenever I add "IMO", it usually follows a statement placing whatever I'm talking about--band, album, what have you--as the subject of the sentence since I understand how harsh such statements might sound.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: April 05, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »
The worst thing for me is when people post in a thread about a band or film simply to say " its shit. "

Don't enter the thread then.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #202 on: April 05, 2014, 01:15:30 PM »
Shit sandwich

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: April 05, 2014, 01:36:22 PM »

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #204 on: April 05, 2014, 03:00:54 PM »
The worst thing for me is when people post in a thread about a band or film simply to say " its shit. "

Don't enter the thread then.

Yeah, especially because most things people say it's shit never are close to being it actually.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #205 on: April 05, 2014, 03:03:49 PM »

True... but...

"Pop music sucks"

... the new Shakira album is pretty good... In my opinion.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: April 05, 2014, 03:15:46 PM »
Wow!  I didn't know you were into her?!  (Well like to be in.......)

I'm all over the place and some music would shock people that I'm into.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #207 on: April 05, 2014, 03:22:44 PM »
Wow!  I didn't know you were into her?!  (Well like to be in.......)

I'm all over the place and some music would shock people that I'm into.

Yeah, when I found out that KrotchRaut was your favorite band, I was pretty shocked.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #208 on: April 05, 2014, 04:01:06 PM »

True... but...

"Pop music sucks"

... the new Shakira album is pretty good... In my opinion.

The type of Pop music i know about certainly don't suck  :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 04:07:11 PM by Outcrier »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #209 on: April 05, 2014, 07:20:14 PM »
Talk dirty to me