Author Topic: If you had only one wish what would it be?  (Read 7459 times)

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
Re: If you had only one wish what would it be?
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2014, 09:49:45 AM »
Better drum sound/production.
MM is an incredible drummer and person but the drum sound on ADTOE, Live@LP, and DT12 has gotten worse compared to MP's drums. I still can't understand how they agreed on the snare drum on DT12.

I really hope they get someone else to engineer/mix the next album. I highly doubt it though because they have been saying how much they enjoyed working with Rich Chycki.

Offline Dreamer

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2014, 10:37:03 AM »
I'd like to hear a more proggy and no metal DT album - it would be fascinating to hear what it would sound like!

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2014, 11:07:45 AM »
Better drum sound/production.
MM is an incredible drummer and person but the drum sound on ADTOE, Live@LP, and DT12 has gotten worse compared to MP's drums. I still can't understand how they agreed on the snare drum on DT12.

I really hope they get someone else to engineer/mix the next album. I highly doubt it though because they have been saying how much they enjoyed working with Rich Chycki.

Yes, this exactly.  Love the sound on Falling into infinity and 6 degrees. 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2014, 11:18:04 AM »
Hey it's a wish thread (which completely validates your statement  :lol), but do you think it's not going to show up? I think most of us already appreciate Mike/Mike for what they do and have done but the discussion will always be there and so long as they both exist in the same universe there'll be comparisons made forever.
It sort of happened at the same time Kevin Moore's fanbase finally accepted he's in a different place. It's like the cosmos saw the water settling and went, "You're not getting off that easily."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2014, 11:26:25 AM »
Bring back the SFAM/SDOIT keyboard sounds. Especially the lead sound.

Not only that but bring back the same level of musicianship.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2014, 11:34:04 AM »
As much as I LOVE the past two albums with MM and think he's an incredible person and musician, I'd wish that MP had taken a deep breath and not left the band.

Again, I love ADTOE and DT....I like the songs, I like the sound and I think MM is an incredible drummer and THE perfect drummer to replace the void left when MP abandoned ship.

But this past couple weeks I've been spinning Awake, 6DOIT, TOT....but especially when listening to some of the 'older' DT.....MP's style of playing is absolutely perfect for Dream Theater and it's irreplaceable.

I get they've moved on and HAD to move on.....but for as great as the musics been with MM behind the kit the more I listen to the 'old' DT then hear the 'new' DT, makes me realize it's just NOT DT anymore. It's a band with some killer musicians making killer music having fun and making a living.

I know it's been hashed out a hundred times on the forum that one person doesn't make a band, which in its own right is true....but removing a vital ingredients from something you've grown to love and replacing it with a near perfect replica.....and I like many here 'grew up' with DT. I was 17 when I first bought I&W's and am 38 now.....can only mask the synthetic feel for so long. I thought I could get past MP leaving and grow accustomed to MM but it is just not the same. As much as I wanted it to be it isn't.

I'll buy every record DT puts out and most likely love each of them but the realization hit me somewhere during my fourth or fifth listen through during AWAKE last week that I 'miss' MP in DT and if I had a wish.....it'd be that he'd have thought through his decision a bit more an DT had remained in tact.

I totally understand this point of view, and it can be hard not to think that way when listening to the classic material, but on the flip side, when you listen to the last few albums with Portnoy, it's obvious some type of change was needed.  Whether or not Portnoy leaving was THE change that needed to happen is debatable, and it could be argued well either way, but the way it has gone down really has worked out wonderfully for the band.  They have renewed enthusiasm, their songwriting has gotten major adrenaline shots, they have a new drummer who is a great player and awesome person, and most importantly, they look and feel like a real cohesive band again (as opposed to the Mike Portnoy Show it had become). 

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2014, 11:51:21 AM »
I'd like to hear a more proggy and no metal DT album - it would be fascinating to hear what it would sound like!

I think the closest you'll ever get is Falling Into Infinity.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2014, 12:20:07 PM »
As much as I LOVE the past two albums with MM and think he's an incredible person and musician, I'd wish that MP had taken a deep breath and not left the band.

Again, I love ADTOE and DT....I like the songs, I like the sound and I think MM is an incredible drummer and THE perfect drummer to replace the void left when MP abandoned ship.

But this past couple weeks I've been spinning Awake, 6DOIT, TOT....but especially when listening to some of the 'older' DT.....MP's style of playing is absolutely perfect for Dream Theater and it's irreplaceable.

I get they've moved on and HAD to move on.....but for as great as the musics been with MM behind the kit the more I listen to the 'old' DT then hear the 'new' DT, makes me realize it's just NOT DT anymore. It's a band with some killer musicians making killer music having fun and making a living.

I know it's been hashed out a hundred times on the forum that one person doesn't make a band, which in its own right is true....but removing a vital ingredients from something you've grown to love and replacing it with a near perfect replica.....and I like many here 'grew up' with DT. I was 17 when I first bought I&W's and am 38 now.....can only mask the synthetic feel for so long. I thought I could get past MP leaving and grow accustomed to MM but it is just not the same. As much as I wanted it to be it isn't.

I'll buy every record DT puts out and most likely love each of them but the realization hit me somewhere during my fourth or fifth listen through during AWAKE last week that I 'miss' MP in DT and if I had a wish.....it'd be that he'd have thought through his decision a bit more an DT had remained in tact.

I totally understand this point of view, and it can be hard not to think that way when listening to the classic material, but on the flip side, when you listen to the last few albums with Portnoy, it's obvious some type of change was needed.  Whether or not Portnoy leaving was THE change that needed to happen is debatable, and it could be argued well either way, but the way it has gone down really has worked out wonderfully for the band.  They have renewed enthusiasm, their songwriting has gotten major adrenaline shots, they have a new drummer who is a great player and awesome person, and most importantly, they look and feel like a real cohesive band again (as opposed to the Mike Portnoy Show it had become).

Good point(s) Kev. I do think that SC and BC&SL were 'mailed in' concerning the drumming ingenuity and contribution. And like I said, I think MM is incredible and THE person that DT needed to fill the void because he's such an incredible drummer. It was the nostalgia of the earlier albums that swayed me to pine for the days of MP's DRUMMING....not the man himself. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline emtee

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2014, 12:54:56 PM »
Just my opinion but I don't think MP (or for that matter, most professional musicians) has ever mailed in any recorded
performance. What I would be willing to concede is that mentally he may not have been in the best frame of mind
due primarily to strained relationships with certain band members but while he was in the studio he always seemed
to give 100%. So did all the members of the band.

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2014, 01:03:53 PM »
Give me the guitar tracks of every song with correct tabs. I can die a happy man then.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2014, 01:06:08 PM »

Good point(s) Kev. I do think that SC and BC&SL were 'mailed in' concerning the drumming ingenuity and contribution. And like I said, I think MM is incredible and THE person that DT needed to fill the void because he's such an incredible drummer. It was the nostalgia of the earlier albums that swayed me to pine for the days of MP's DRUMMING....not the man himself.

Makes sense.  Like I have said before, as good as Mangini's playing is, it isn't as fun and air drum-happy as Portnoy's is, but I am okay with that, considering the change has resulted in better songwriting (than what was on the later Portnoy-era albums).  I'll take that exchange every time! :tup :tup

Offline Grizz

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2014, 01:08:34 PM »
To have some sort of time machine that can take me to any past DT show to see in person at my whim.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2014, 01:32:35 PM »
To have some sort of time machine that can take me to any past DT show to see in person at my whim.
I'm quoting this because it's meaningful to me.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2014, 02:04:21 PM »
My #1 wish came true a month ago, so I have no idea what I would wish for now. Kind of depressing, eh? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2014, 02:06:12 PM »
Just my opinion but I don't think MP (or for that matter, most professional musicians) has ever mailed in any recorded
performance. What I would be willing to concede is that mentally he may not have been in the best frame of mind
due primarily to strained relationships with certain band members but while he was in the studio he always seemed
to give 100%. So did all the members of the band.

I think that's probably a better way to put it. Maybe not 'mailed in' but when you listen to his efforts on his last two albums with DT compared to 'back in the day' efforts like 6DOIT or even 8V.....the playing is 'rudimentary' when compared to what he's capable of IMO. Whatever reason it was I think there was a noticable difference.

This is stated with an understanding that even MP's less than inspired efforts are better than the majority of drummers out there IMO. It's just that MP set the bar so high for himself in any instance he fails to reach that mark it is noticable.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2014, 02:09:02 PM »
I could only dream to go to gym with JP. Training with DT guys could be something from my best dreams... I would love to see JMX running with me or dancing with Pirate!  ::)
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2014, 02:22:28 PM »
spend a day with KM...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2014, 03:16:35 PM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 425

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2014, 03:41:41 PM »

I hate to bring things back around to this topic again, but I will state strongly that it is NOT obvious that some type of change was needed. I don't think there's any sort of consensus among DT fans that the last few albums with Portnoy are among the weakest or that some type of change was needed. Myself, I easily prefer Octavarium and Black Clouds & Silver Linings to both Mangini-era albums. I think the songwriting was mostly better on those albums than on ADTOE and certainly DT12. And I think there are a lot of people that would agree with me on ranking at least one and perhaps more than one of the 8VM-BCSL albums ahead of both ADTOE and DT12. I don't think we're a majority but I also don't think we're that small of a minority. I have nothing wrong with you holding the opinion that DT is better post-Portnoy, but I do dispute the notion that it is so overwhelmingly obvious as you imply it to be, when there are clearly many intelligent, reasonable people who disagree.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2014, 03:44:31 PM »
Make it so Kevin Moore is still friends with DT, and looks at his time in Dream Theater as good/happy.

Offline 425

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2014, 03:47:48 PM »
Ah, and yes, I forgot to contribute my actual wish, which, unsurprisingly given the content of my previous post, is to hear the followup to Black Clouds & Silver Linings made by Dream Theater with Mike Portnoy. I wouldn't trade ADTOE for anything, and I do love the album, but I just want to hear the alternate reality version of what would have happened next if Mike had stayed.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2014, 03:50:35 PM »

I hate to bring things back around to this topic again, but I will state strongly that it is NOT obvious that some type of change was needed. I don't think there's any sort of consensus among DT fans that the last few albums with Portnoy are among the weakest or that some type of change was needed. Myself, I easily prefer Octavarium and Black Clouds & Silver Linings to both Mangini-era albums. I think the songwriting was mostly better on those albums than on ADTOE and certainly DT12. And I think there are a lot of people that would agree with me on ranking at least one and perhaps more than one of the 8VM-BCSL albums ahead of both ADTOE and DT12. I don't think we're a majority but I also don't think we're that small of a minority. I have nothing wrong with you holding the opinion that DT is better post-Portnoy, but I do dispute the notion that it is so overwhelmingly obvious as you imply it to be, when there are clearly many intelligent, reasonable people who disagree.
That's a good post, 425. Same for Kev, and Gmill. I'm not even sure where I stand on it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2014, 04:52:12 PM »
My wish would be to go back in time and see DT's I&W lineup perform a small club show on Long Island shortly after JLB joined the band.

Good wish.  If I had three, it would be one of mine. 

Anyway, my other two wishes:

-More JLB lyrics

-For everyone to give up the whole MP gossip about whether he will or won't perform with them again anytime someone blinks.  I would be fine if he never did...and I do look fondly at his contributions throughout the years

Offline Theme Dreater

• The Destroyer of Worlds
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2014, 05:04:45 PM »
If only one wish, I'd like for them to incorporate more groovy stuff. Best two examples I can think of are certain sections from Take the Time and Lines in the Sand. If I had a righteous genie who could give me an additional two wishes though, I'd like to see a reunion show featuring the 12SS, and I'd like the band to play an evening with show in Alaska.
I was told if you dream of the next world, you'll find yourself swimming in a lake of fire.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2014, 06:43:51 PM »
Ah, and yes, I forgot to contribute my actual wish, which, unsurprisingly given the content of my previous post, is to hear the followup to Black Clouds & Silver Linings made by Dream Theater with Mike Portnoy. I wouldn't trade ADTOE for anything, and I do love the album, but I just want to hear the alternate reality version of what would have happened next if Mike had stayed.

Interesting. MP asked for a 5 year break, right? Imagine if he had been given that break. Let's say they would be coming back to the studio this year, 2014, right? They would be all in hunger, wanting to give their best. What would have come out of that?... Makes me wonder too...

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2014, 07:07:55 PM »
Interesting. MP asked for a 5 year break, right? Imagine if he had been given that break. Let's say they would be coming back to the studio this year, 2014, right? They would be all in hunger, wanting to give their best. What would have come out of that?... Makes me wonder too...

It was September 2010, so if we hypothetically say exactly 5 years, it wouldn't be until fall of 2010. But he didn't mean concretely, so we might still be waiting for them to get back together into 2016 if the break had happened. And that's too damn long without a DT album. I mean, as it stands, we've been given a steady stream of Dream Theater updates, they've been keeping their presence in the media, and keeping relevant. Without that, I imagine so many fans would have them on the far back of their mind right now, listening to other stuff, and not even holding onto the hopes that the band would ever get back together. It would be a depressing and uneventful time to be a DT fan, had the break happened.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2014, 07:19:14 PM »
A 5 year break is totally absurd. It's ludicrous to expect that...especially when (evidently) you are the only one who feels that the band needs a break. Thank God that didn't happen.

And anyway, I don't think anything all that much better than BCSL would have come out. I've seen no change in MP's approach over the past 5 years.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2014, 08:17:18 PM »
Several things come to mind musically (more high vocals, more continuum, some arrangement stuff that's hard to explain), but for me, the #1 thing is getting more studio documentaries like the SC one and more live commentaries. To me, the band behind the music and its stories behind the music are always as cool as the (awesome) music itself. More of that is always good.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2014, 08:47:05 PM »
I wished for a Flash Gordon themed Dream Theater Board!!!   :xbones :xbones :xbones
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2014, 09:13:39 PM »
I'd wish people would let the whole Mike Portnoy thing go already and move on.

:clap:

I guess mine would be more contribution from the other guys in terms of lyrics. DT12 was great, but I always wonder if there was a more balanced, joint effort between Myung, JLB, and JP how it would turn out. And I understand the whole stance on JR contributing lyrics, but a man can dream.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2014, 09:23:45 PM »
What if DT had two drummers and two/three keyboardists?
You know what I'm getting at.
That would be pretty fucking sick IMO
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2014, 09:39:31 PM »

That would actually be incredibly busy sounding and expensive to tour. :lol Can you imagine even trying to mix that in the studio? They can't even mix it as it is. :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2014, 09:43:53 PM »
I wish that DT would produce an album where they don't have to think if it can be played / if it is playable in a live setting. Layered tracking, ridiculously long songs with purpose, etc. Just make the best music that can be produced in a studio.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2014, 09:50:47 PM »

That would actually be incredibly busy sounding and expensive to tour. :lol Can you imagine even trying to mix that in the studio? They can't even mix it as it is. :P

You don't have to have all 3 of them (keyboardists) playing at the same time, but I would have them all in a room jamming, with all three of their melodic and harmonic heads together, to come up with some amazing stuff to record. Only one of them would have to play something at a time, on tour.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2014, 09:55:47 PM »

You don't have to have all 3 of them (keyboardists) playing at the same time, but I would have them all in a room jamming, with all three of their melodic and harmonic heads together, to come up with some amazing stuff to record. Only one of them would have to play something at a time, on tour.

Still sounds like way too many cooks in the kitchen to work.
That plus the fact I don't actually want to hear any of the previous keyboardists again. I'd rather hear JR than whatever they're doing.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.