Author Topic: If you had only one wish what would it be?  (Read 7457 times)

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
Re: If you had only one wish what would it be?
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2014, 10:21:58 AM »
If I had 3 wishes, they would be thus:

3. Least important: I'd get to meet and jam with the band on MM's kit.

2. The band continue to create amazing music, with different producers, in different environments, mixing it up a bit.

3. The fans quit wanting the band to be something they're not.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Grizz

« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2014, 11:08:45 AM »
And I wish that the band is something that they are not but what they were and something that they are entirely capable of being.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline JLa

« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2014, 11:20:06 AM »
- dear Genie, please let DT's next album be their best ever (in *MY* opinion).

Thanks  ;D

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2014, 01:04:16 PM »
  As I said, though, prefer what they're doing now, where it's a little from column A and a little from column B.

*snipped*

but I just think that you can't always put inspiration or creativity on a time clock.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2014, 03:49:26 PM »
They used to have a rule that all writing happened in the studio

Maybe I have forgotten, but, did they really?  If so, that was an awful rule.  Creativity can often hit you at the oddest times, and essentially saying, "We can't use that cause it wasn't written with everybody else, while we were all in the studio," is just terrible.

I imagine it wasn't really like that. I mean, if I hear, "All writing happens in the studio" I would assume it simply means they don't go out of their way to write songs while on the road. That doesn't mean they don't use ideas from jams or anything. But it really depends on the artists. Some artists just can't focus on songwriting amidst all the activity that goes on while touring, and in the studio it's easier to focus.

In the last group skype interview they did they spoke about the recording a lot.  They did have many ideas that came together from jam sessions, some things were brought in individually, and they assembled it all in the studio.  JP actually started looking through them and they joked not to click on any of them.  He mentioned that there was somethng MM brought in that they didn't use and he says, "Sorry Mike."  Mike responded, "Hey thats ok." 

They didn't expand on that but I would assume that for the latest album about 80-85% was written in the studio. 

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2014, 04:27:43 PM »
Yeah, after MP's departure, I do recall them saying that they do bring together various ideas that they had been working on, JP in particular. He wrote BTS all by himself outside the studio, right?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2014, 04:57:44 PM »
And I wish that the band is something that they are not but what they were and something that they are entirely capable of being.

On a certain level, isn't what we are, not all much different from what we've been by extension? The culmination of all of those things. Paradoxically, DT are as much the same as they were back then as they are completely different now, but that point of origin means it's still them so you can't expect them to be anything but what they are. :P

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2014, 01:33:02 AM »
Yeah, after MP's departure, I do recall them saying that they do bring together various ideas that they had been working on, JP in particular. He wrote BTS all by himself outside the studio, right?
That is correct. I get the feeling Along For The Ride was a similar story as well.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2014, 10:29:56 AM »
I really hate when you guys use acronyms! What is BTS??? Jesus, it's 12 albums, more than 100 songs! Write the goddamn full names!!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 10:38:40 AM by tiagodon »

Offline lithium112

« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2014, 10:43:53 AM »
I really hate when you guys use acronyms! What is BTS??? Jesus, it's 12 albums, more than 100 songs! Write the goddamn full names!!

lol that's kinda true and I thought that at first as well, but then I realized that for someone that posts a lot, writing out full song titles every time gets really tedious.

BTS is Beneath the Surface. I thought there was a thread that listed all the songs and their acronyms but I can't seem to find it right now.

Offline krands85

« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2014, 11:08:30 AM »
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=39318.0

You get used to it eventually  :lol
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Enalya

« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2014, 11:23:14 AM »
One wish regarding DT?
I'm getting pretty wrong thoughts here.. :smiley:

No, what really I wish for them is that they will stop at the right time - for example when their inspiration is gone, so that they don't try to fart out creativity. That they'll be remembered as a legendary band, just as Queen.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: April 04, 2014, 12:17:57 PM »

If we were able to memorize them, why can't you?  Are we that much smarter than you?  ... :neverusethis:

Just kidding.  In all honesty, you'll get used to them.  We spend a lot of time discussing these songs; it can be quite a chore to type them all out all the time. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #118 on: April 04, 2014, 12:23:02 PM »
Nah, it's easy; I almost always type out the names of songs in full. *shrugs*

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2014, 12:35:35 PM »

Did you know their next album will include a cover of Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict?  :P

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2014, 02:18:44 PM »

Did you know their next album will include a cover of Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict?  :P

You mean SSOSFAGTIACAGWAP?
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #121 on: April 04, 2014, 02:26:56 PM »
:rollin

bwahahaa!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #122 on: April 04, 2014, 03:29:00 PM »
One wish regarding DT?
I'm getting pretty wrong thoughts here.. :smiley:

Hey girl

No, what really I wish for them is that they will stop at the right time - for example when their inspiration is gone, so that they don't try to fart out creativity. That they'll be remembered as a legendary band, just as Queen.

I agree completely. If they can't do it well anymore they should retire instead of half assing it. Far too many bands stay well past their welcome.

"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline robwebster

« Reply #123 on: April 04, 2014, 03:46:35 PM »
The clue is in the letters!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2014, 03:56:34 PM »
It might be Roadrunner screwing up the masters, look at Clockwork Angels.

That's the one thing keeping DT down.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2014, 06:13:06 PM »
Sorry for the off topic deviation, but what's wrong with Clockwork Angels? Is it super compressed or something? Because I honestly thought the mixing on that was pretty decent. The strings, guitar and bass all seem to have their own location in the music, it doesn't sound anywhere near like the muddy peaking mess that was Vapor Trails (You can't actually hear all the notes and details in some of the guitar passages because it's peaking so much and everything else is being blasting so loudly aswell). AND even still, despite what you'd interpret from what I just said about VP, I think even that gets a bit overstated sometimes because it's only a few sections that come across that way. The rest of the mix packs a punch and makes the songs memorable without ruining them.

I mean DT12 mix is good. Yes it's very loud due to the deliberate compression, BUT it's a surprisingly good mix for the level of compression no? Everything still has it's place in the mix (JMX Bass can be heard!?  :eek) That says enough in itself to me. I think the main issues with these overcompressed albums is the guitars become the primary and dominating sound. Never thought that about Clockwork Angels that's why I'm curious is all.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2014, 07:22:59 AM »
FFS
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2014, 09:00:09 AM »

BTS: Beneath the Surface
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2014, 09:24:30 AM »
FFS

Hef, I really thought you'd type STFU. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2014, 09:30:22 AM »
I considered it  :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2014, 02:58:23 PM »
My wish is very easy.
Next time here in Rome, day one they do their usual setlist ( I mean the one they would have then) and day 2...
With the following setlist:
Metropolis
Erotomania/Voices
ACOS
6DOIT *
Octavarium *
TCOT
Encore:
One Last Time*
TSCO*#
FF*
*=with orchestra
#=with mighty gospel choir
And everything with me in the front line, central stage, and with the 5 guys already agreeing to come to dine with me in some superpower local restaurant.

In other words, when you make a wish, make it BIG :tup

From Rome, with love.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2014, 07:58:27 AM »
ˆThat's a big one!

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2014, 08:03:27 AM »
I just bought a copy of Animals as Leaders' debut, self-titled album.
Goddamn, it's awesome!
DT13 could sound a little bit like that. This is another wish.
Set MM free! Set the reckless progressiveness free! Set JM free! Something more experimental, more like 6DOIT (first half).

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2014, 08:19:57 AM »

Goddamn, it's awesome!
Set MM free! Set the reckless progressiveness free! Set JM free! Something more experimental, more like 6DOIT (first half).

Knock it off with the abbreviations goddamnit!!!!!!

:biggrin:  sorry...couldn't resist ... :lol

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #134 on: April 09, 2014, 11:45:51 AM »
Make a prog-funk metal album. With lotssss of slap bass.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2014, 01:48:46 PM »

Goddamn, it's awesome!

Knock it off with the abbreviations goddamnit!!!!!!

:biggrin:  sorry...couldn't resist ... :lol

:lol I´m a fast learner!

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2014, 10:48:04 PM »
My wish would be a simple but highly improbable one (as every wish should it be):

-Play a song with them in a concert.. Being in JLB's role, in JP's role or in JR's.. Yeah, I'm guitar and keyboard player.. Not a singer, but I'd tune.. That would be just nice, I think.. :azn:
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)