Author Topic: If you had only one wish what would it be?  (Read 7458 times)

Offline tiagodon

If you had only one wish what would it be?
« on: March 30, 2014, 02:18:16 PM »
Imagine you have a magic lamp and Genie comes out and says: "You have only one wish regarding DT".
What would it be?

I'd say: turn up all the bass lines in every DT recording!  :metal

Offline Invisible

Re: If you had only one wish what would it be?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 02:36:24 PM »
Bring Kevin Moore as a studio musician/songwriter collaborating with the rest of the guys in a good working environment. JR gets to do the amazing keyboards stuff he does, KM bring his great ideas, win win.

I could come up with a thousand others, but that's my top choice.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 02:44:04 PM »
Steven Wilson producing, recording, mixing and mastering at least the next cd.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 03:09:01 PM »
Bring back the SFAM/SDOIT keyboard sounds. Especially the lead sound.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline robwebster

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 03:13:43 PM »
Keep moving forwards. The past's nice, but it's happened. Never wind down, brave new world, each album.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 04:30:28 PM »
Jordan using a real tonewheel Hammond with a Leslie.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 05:02:48 PM »
Keep moving forwards. The past's nice, but it's happened. Never wind down, brave new world, each album.

This.

And it reminds me of an idea I always liked about the whole genie wishing thing.

1st wish, you wish for exactly what you thought you desired.

2nd wish, you have to use to undo the first one because it had unforeseen effects from getting exactly what you thought you wanted when you weren't ready for it.

So logically, the 3rd wish should be used to not desire any more wishes.

So if I could possibly learn from that, then I think DT just needs to do what they do, because even their decisions that I haven't understood (with song composition for example), in the end I can still appreciate what they are expressing for themselves, and I wouldn't want them to try and be something they're not.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 05:27:42 PM »
To finally see n evening with show with Finally Free played along with an Orchestra that has to include Tubular Bells.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Invisible

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 05:42:51 PM »

This.

And it reminds me of an idea I always liked about the whole genie wishing thing.

1st wish, you wish for exactly what you thought you desired.

2nd wish, you have to use to undo the first one because it had unforeseen effects from getting exactly what you thought you wanted when you weren't ready for it.

So logically, the 3rd wish should be used to not desire any more wishes.

So if I could possibly learn from that, then I think DT just needs to do what they do, because even their decisions that I haven't understood (with song composition for example), in the end I can still appreciate what they are expressing for themselves, and I wouldn't want them to try and be something they're not.
Lol that's probably true! But my wish is actually more just out of curiosity of what the end product would be rather than anything else. In a real life scenario obviously it wouldn't work at all. Call it scientific experiment if you want, it may fail miserably, but it's worth the shot. Probably the second wish would be to undo that, but at least you saw what it happened! :P
Actually a real wish and a lot more harmless would be that JP re incorporates some of his old variety of playing, I miss some of that these days.

And Finally Free with orchestra would be awesome!

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 05:57:06 PM »
Lol that's probably true! But my wish is actually more just out of curiosity of what the end product would be rather than anything else. In a real life scenario obviously it wouldn't work at all. Call it scientific experiment if you want, it may fail miserably, but it's worth the shot. Probably the second wish would be to undo that, but at least you saw what it happened! :P

Haha, yeah fair enough. Maybe I will play the game then. :P

I would like Jordan to do whatever he wanted (like he did in LTE/SFAM/6DOIT). And not feel limited or obligated to sound a certain way. Also, I think he should not feel like he has to stray away from the signature sounds he's been known for over the later years aswell. (I was quite pleased to hear one of his crazy keyboard solos in Enigma Machine because it reminded me of the good ol' BL&SL/SC solos that were just INTENSE). And more continuum please, but please be careful with it, that thing can be beautiful or just a mess. :)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 06:10:22 PM »
To see ACOS in it's entirety live.  Have seen DT a dozen times, but have yet to see it.  ACOS is my favorite song of all time, by any artist.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 06:20:39 PM »
I'd wish that DT fans and critics have zero influence on the members of DT or their decisions in creating their music and upholding their artistic integrity. Keep on doing what you wanna do, gentlemen!

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 06:25:35 PM »
I'd wish for a reunion show with Charlie Dominici, Kevin Moore, Derek Sherinian, and Mike Portnoy. Having all nine guys on stage at once would be ridiculous and amazing.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 06:32:51 PM »
Steven Wilson producing, recording and mixing at least the next cd.

Fixed this because Steven hates mastering  :biggrin: and agreed.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 06:34:27 PM »
Get a new and better vocalist

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 06:42:25 PM »
^^^ ouch.  :lol

I would also like to see old songs played no matter what they are without being too concerned about the response of fans. But I suppose we're the one group DT doesn't want to upset too much so maybe there are some songs they'll never play again... But it's nice to hear in a recent interview that someone said nothing is off limits.

An epic reuinion show with Portnoy and a playthrough of the 12SS is probably something worth wishing for. Maybe even play some other things like Constant Motion and songs where he contributed a lot vocally.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 06:48:14 PM »
I'd wish for a reunion show with Charlie Dominici, Kevin Moore, Derek Sherinian, and Mike Portnoy. Having all nine guys on stage at once would be ridiculous and amazing.

All nine of them in the studio, writing and recording one AMAZING epic for an EP, or an entire album.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 07:04:56 PM »
I'd wish for somebody to create a job where I get paid lots of money just to listen to Dream Theater songs.

... I realize that this isn't exactly in keeping with the spirit of the thread, but still. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 07:31:22 PM »
Steven Wilson producing, recording and mixing at least the next cd.

Fixed this because Steven hates mastering  :biggrin: and agreed.
True!  :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 07:58:13 PM »
I'd wish to occupy the body of Mrs. Petrucci for an evening when DT wasn't on the road ;)

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 08:23:20 PM »
 :lol Now that's a hardcore fan!

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 08:32:17 PM »

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 10:04:47 PM »
I wish Portnoy was back and everything was cool with the members. D:

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 10:16:21 PM »
As much as I LOVE the past two albums with MM and think he's an incredible person and musician, I'd wish that MP had taken a deep breath and not left the band.

Again, I love ADTOE and DT....I like the songs, I like the sound and I think MM is an incredible drummer and THE perfect drummer to replace the void left when MP abandoned ship.

But this past couple weeks I've been spinning Awake, 6DOIT, TOT....but especially when listening to some of the 'older' DT.....MP's style of playing is absolutely perfect for Dream Theater and it's irreplaceable.

I get they've moved on and HAD to move on.....but for as great as the musics been with MM behind the kit the more I listen to the 'old' DT then hear the 'new' DT, makes me realize it's just NOT DT anymore. It's a band with some killer musicians making killer music having fun and making a living.

I know it's been hashed out a hundred times on the forum that one person doesn't make a band, which in its own right is true....but removing a vital ingredients from something you've grown to love and replacing it with a near perfect replica.....and I like many here 'grew up' with DT. I was 17 when I first bought I&W's and am 38 now.....can only mask the synthetic feel for so long. I thought I could get past MP leaving and grow accustomed to MM but it is just not the same. As much as I wanted it to be it isn't.

I'll buy every record DT puts out and most likely love each of them but the realization hit me somewhere during my fourth or fifth listen through during AWAKE last week that I 'miss' MP in DT and if I had a wish.....it'd be that he'd have thought through his decision a bit more an DT had remained in tact.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 02:24:06 AM »
Portnoy never left.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2014, 02:30:44 AM »
It's still Mike, he just evolved into his genie formation.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 02:36:27 AM by Rodni Demental »

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2014, 02:36:36 AM »
I'd wish people would let the whole Mike Portnoy thing go already and move on.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2014, 02:39:01 AM »
Hey it's a wish thread (which completely validates your statement  :lol), but do you think it's not going to show up? I think most of us already appreciate Mike/Mike for what they do and have done but the discussion will always be there and so long as they both exist in the same universe there'll be comparisons made forever.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 02:48:27 AM by Rodni Demental »

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2014, 03:34:06 AM »
Mine would be to revitalize the band's skills to when each member was at their peak (unless they still are), and give them eternal stamina so that no matter how old the members got, they'd always have all their chops with none of the fatigue.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2014, 04:05:51 AM »
Reunión with KM.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2014, 07:59:38 AM »
Get a new and better vocalist

This is interesting. I played DT for a friend a couple of weeks ago. It was his first time listening to the band, so I picked up something kind of "easy-listening" - Outcry. I love this song. Anyway... He loved the intro, but when LaBrie started to sing he made a face and said: the vocals ruined the song! He said the band with that sound needed something more aggressive and stronger.

Offline emtee

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2014, 08:17:32 AM »
I rubbed the bottle and the genie gave me 3 wishes.

-NO BOUNDRIES. It's been formulaic for many years. Shake it up. Do it differently in the studio. Take risks. Don't make another album
with the mindset of 'what will the fans think?'

-GET THE SONICS RIGHT!!! The pioneers in prog metal should have clean, crisp, punchy sound. PLEASE!

-GET AN OUTSIDE EAR! Allow someone else inside the fortress and give them the power to control how this album sounds.
See item#2.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2014, 08:33:25 AM »
My one wish would be that DT save every one of us!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2014, 09:27:20 AM »
My wish would be to go back in time and see DT's I&W lineup perform a small club show on Long Island shortly after JLB joined the band.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2014, 09:30:31 AM »
My one wish would be that DT save every one of us!
Indeed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.