Author Topic: 2014-04-10 - Paramount Theatre - Denver, CO  (Read 2579 times)

Offline Ayeegit

2014-04-10 - Paramount Theatre - Denver, CO
« on: March 27, 2014, 12:56:05 PM »
Unless I somehow missed it, there's no thread yet for the Denver show.

Can't wait to see DT again since they didn't come thru Colorado on the last tour.... the next two weeks are going to CRAWL.

We're seeing George Strait the weekend before - how's that for a "Paradigm Shift"!?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: 2014-04-10 - Paramount Theatre - Denver, CO
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 11:49:12 PM »
Can't wait for this, my first time seeing DT headline, not to mention Evening With!
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 11:37:42 PM »
Oh shit, had I known this thread existed I would've said MEETUP. Well, that was pretty awesome.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Ayeegit

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 07:46:26 AM »
FANTASTIC show.  The guys were *on* last night- and maybe it's selective memory/the afterglow, but James sounded better than he has in a long time.  I've seen DT most every time they've come thru Denver since I&A, so probably bordering on about 10 shows... but I can't remember a better live vocal performance.

James had a hilarious moment between songs early in the evening where he started laughing about a audience member close to the stage that was wearing a fake set of tits over his shirt (he was going with a Mardi Gras theme, and had beads and a green/purple top hat as well).  James couldn't get over it and told the folks around him to rip them off as "no one wants to see that".  He also suggested that if there were any women in the audience that wanted to "show him up" they should do so.  Pretty funny impromptu stuff.

The rest of the band appeared to be having a great time as well - lots of smiles up on that stage (other than Myung, of course - stoic as usual).

Show wasn't sold out, but it looked like it was pretty close to capacity.  Great to have them back in Denver after missing us two years ago.

Not sure if the band doesn't want a lot of photography happening during the show, or if it was just the Paramount staff, but the security guys were being pretty militant about people trying to get shots with their cell phones.  Haven't seen that at a show before...

Offline snowdog

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 09:18:05 AM »
The Dream Theater show last night was awesome! I was worried that when I saw a spoiler that they would be playing Space-Dye Vest for the first ever that there wasn't going to be anything left to surprise me. But fortunately the bigger thing was that they celebrated the 20th anniversary of the Awake album by playing the second half of it! And Awake is still my favorite album. That totally made up for having to miss the Awake tour due to the closest venues being 21+. They also celebrated the 15th anniversary of Scenes From a Memory by playing 4 tracks off of it which was also really cool.

My top 5 DT tracks would probably be Learning To Live, Scarred, Trial of Tears, Finally Free, and Breaking All Illusions. They played all but Learning to Live last night and none of them were a part of a medley. So I would say this ranks right up there with the 2nd leg of the SFAM tour as my favorite show from them. And I just did the math, I've seen them 17 times now. I do hope that they record/have recorded one of the shows from this tour.

On another note, was anyone here also I wearing a Steve Wilson shirt?  I ran into a girl outside the venue that was also wearing one and we both said "nice shirt".  And I saw another guy at the show wearing one as well.

Offline eric303

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 05:27:04 PM »
This is was my first Dream Theater show after 20+ yrs of listening to them, best live show I have seen. It was like a adrenalin rush right when they first started playing...almost unbelievable....a dream come true. :) Don't for get the comment James Labrie made about a few people toking up some reefer...he was able to smell it and I noticed it too. :) The staff at the Paramount were nice...everything worked out good...at least for me and my friend. I look forward to the next concert.