Author Topic: Different Set Ideas  (Read 10976 times)

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Re: Different Set Ideas
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2014, 02:28:43 AM »
I'd suggest that given the scale of the production and the rehersal / programming time needed, together with the fact that they'll still be playing the first setlist in other territories, it'll probably be very similar, with a few alterations. Beyond swapping IT for the other 3 DT12 songs, I wouldn't expect much more.

Intro - False Awakening
The Enemy Inside
The Mirror / Lie
The Looking Glass
On the Backs of Angels
The Killing Hand
Scarred
Along for the Ride
The Bigger Picture
~~~~~~
Behind the Veil
Enigma Machine
Space Dye Vest
Surrender to Reason
Breaking All Illusions
Dance of Eternity
Finally Free
~~~~~~
Metropolis/ Learning to Live/ Crimson Sunset

Hope I'm wrong, and we get something totally different. Well, they can keep The Killing Hand in there...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2014, 03:53:16 AM »
I'm starting to feel they'll play the same songs from the new album on the second leg, except maybe Enigma Machine and TLG. TEI will obviously stay, AFTR is the title-track of the tour and I can't see them dropping IT.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2014, 06:27:08 PM »
I'm starting to feel they'll play the same songs from the new album on the second leg, except maybe Enigma Machine and TLG. TEI will obviously stay, AFTR is the title-track of the tour and I can't see them dropping IT.

After Mangini saying they are trying to get TLG on the radio, I get the feeling that song isn't going anywhere.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2014, 07:30:01 PM »

After Mangini saying they are trying to get TLG on the radio, I get the feeling that song isn't going anywhere.
This. I'd say TLG will become the most popular song to play from DT12 before TEI will be, just because of how hard they're pushing it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2014, 07:14:51 AM »
From the two shows I went to TLG got a really good crowd reaction too.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2014, 03:18:34 PM »
Why don't they drop OTBOA? It's been overplayed IMO, just because it's the ADTOE single and Grammy nominated song. God.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2014, 03:19:56 PM »
Why don't they drop OTBOA? It's been overplayed IMO, just because it's the ADTOE single and Grammy nominated song. God.
They might on the second leg.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grizz

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2014, 07:36:17 PM »
It's replaced PMU as DT's "popular" song, so I think it's a mainstay for now.
I think that they should just drop the anniversaries on the second legs and get a decent mix in there.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2014, 07:48:40 PM »
How's this for an idea: they mix up the set list later this year by adding songs from the new album they haven't played yet, drop everything else they have played, play nothing from the non-DT12 albums they have already covered, and only play songs from the six albums they haven't touched so far this year.  In other words, only songs from:

When Dream and Day Unite
I&W
6DOIT
Train of Thought
8V
Systematic Chaos
DT12

They'd never do it, but imagine the possibilities.  They could go with this as a set list:

Set 1
The Enemy Inside
Take the Time (take advantage of the fact that JLB's voice is in prime form, and playing it early on will make it easier for him to nail that 2nd verse)
This Is the Life
The Looking Glass
Misunderstood
Ytse Jam (with drum solo)
Along for the Ride
In the Name of God

Set 2
The Glass Prison
Behind the Veil
Solitary Shell
Surrender to Reason
Panic Attack
The Bigger Picture
Illumination Theory

Encore
In the Presence of Enemies, Part 1
Learning to Live

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2014, 08:24:06 AM »
Love that encore, Kev.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2014, 08:27:36 AM »
Great set! The only thing I noticed is that you put in an ADTOE song when you said it would only include albums that haven't been touched on the tour yet + DT12. Despite that, I enjoy the inclusion of TITL in there, since Europe and many other places didn't get to see that live yet.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2014, 09:23:25 AM »
I was being silly and making a setlist for next year and the 30th anniversary tour, and came up with a silly little setlist.

Intro (FAS with Blob's video)
Vital Star (After the video, the rewind thing happens to Majesty Demos cover)
Your Majesty
Ytse Jam
Take The Time
Innocence Faded
Speak To Me
Peruvian Skies
Anna Lee
Finally Free

INTERMISSION (15 minutes)
The Glass Prison
This Dying Soul
To Live Forever
The Answer Lies Within
Prophets of War
Wither
Breaking All Illusions
Behind The Veil
Surrender To Reason
Space Dye Vest

ENCORE
Another Hand/The Killing Hand
Metropolis Part 1

Apparently clocks in at 2 hours and 55 minutes. Not exactly the best of setlists but I was trying for a mixture of rarities and fan favorites.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2014, 09:36:03 AM »
Great idea and that's a cool set, though I'd swap some for personal preference. They probably won't do it, but I think it'd be a smart move by them. I'd go with something like this:

Set 1
False Awakening Suite
1. The Enemy Inside
2. Take the Time (I liked the placement of it here. It could work really well.)
3. Blind Faith
4. The Looking Glass
5. Only A Matter of Time
6. Enigma Machine (with drum solo)
7. Sacrificed Sons
8. In the Name of God
----------------------
Set 2
9. The Glass Prison
10. Constant Motion
11. The Bigger Picture
12. Behind the Veil
13. Panic Attack
14. Surrender to Reason
15. On the Backs of Angels (whether they took up the concept or not, they just wouldn't axe this song)
16. Along For the Ride
17. Illumination Theory

Encore
18. A Change of Seasons (I don't think it's a top 10 song like many do, but I still love it and I'm sure a LOT of people would approve of this encore)
Easter Egg
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 11:30:49 AM by Laughingplace56 »

Offline ninja1125

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2014, 10:41:04 AM »
I could see them playing the DT12 in full next leg and getting rid of the anniversary sets but still play some songs from it.

False Awakening Suite
The Enemy Inside
The Looking Glass
Enigma Machine
The Bigger Picture
Behind the Veil
Surrender to Reason
Along for the Ride
Illumination Theory

Overture 1928
Strange Deja Vu
The Glass Prison
This Dying Soul
Space Dye Vest
Take The Time
On The Backs Of Angels
Wait For Sleep
Learning To Live

A Change Of Seasons (Doubt will happen but one man can wish)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:32:12 PM by ninja1125 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2014, 12:48:08 PM »
Great set! The only thing I noticed is that you put in an ADTOE song when you said it would only include albums that haven't been touched on the tour yet + DT12. Despite that, I enjoy the inclusion of TITL in there, since Europe and many other places didn't get to see that live yet.

Oops.  I didn't follow my own rule. :facepalm: :lol

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2014, 09:19:13 AM »

I would imagine they would still be playing Enigma Machine too... So I went ahead and replaced Ytse Jam with it. This means there's no WDADU in the set, so I removed This is the Life and replaced it with Only a Matter of Time.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2014, 04:16:10 AM »
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2014, 05:27:48 AM »

I'd be shocked if they played Ytse jam. They did it on the last tour. If they are bent on having an instrumental, I can see the Awake Suite being replaced with Erotomania/Voices.

I would imagine they would still be playing Enigma Machine too... So I went ahead and replaced Ytse Jam with it. This means there's no WDADU in the set, so I removed This is the Life and replaced it with Only a Matter of Time.

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2014, 03:42:51 PM »
They should have taken out everything from Awake, and replaced with In the Presence of Enemies, Prophets of War, or more  SFAM.  I really just don't like much on Awake.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2014, 04:43:30 PM »
Replace everything on Awake with Prophets of War? Why don't they cover Psychosane while they're at it?
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2014, 05:42:20 PM »
Replace everything on Awake with Prophets of War? Why don't they cover Psychosane while they're at it?

lol yea seriously and I am one who actually likes prophets of war

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2014, 07:38:24 PM »
I like it, but there's nothing I would switch from the current set for it. Or most other DT songs for that matter. There's SO much better in their catalog, especially for concerts. Just from that album, ITPOE Pt1 Constant Motion and TDEN are way better for concerts, and just better in general.

Also, I actually don't see them playing songs like that, Never Enough, ARoP, and other songs of that nature much ever again honestly. It doesn't seem like they're into playing the more straightforward songs from the last few MP albums anymore. Closest they've gone is TDEN. I could be way wrong though it's just a guess.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2014, 11:10:16 PM »
Forsaken and These Walls made it on tour in the last cycle.  These are straightforward songs in my opinion -- so I think we'll continue to see a mix.  Maybe Wither will get a wider release in the next round.

Offline Thierry

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2014, 01:45:04 AM »
1. False Awakening Suite
2. The Enemy Inside (this HAS to open the show)
3. Only A Matter of Time or Status Seeker
4. The Glass Prison
5. The Looking Glass
6. Trail of Tears
7. Enigma Machine
8. Surrender to Reason
9. Breaking All Illusions

-Encore-
10. Mirror
11. Lie
12. Lifting Shadows off a Dream
13. Scarred
14. Space Dye Vest
15. A Change of Seasons

-Encore-
16. Overture 1928
17. Strange Deja Vu
18. Through My Words
19. Fatal Tragedy
20. Pull Me Under

This is THE setlist. Im probably a bit over my time limit, and there really isn't much down time for Labrie, but this would have been perfect for me. The most controversial would be the absence of Illumination Theory, but meh, I still haven't gotten into that song.

You should be punched in the face (hard) for kicking out Illumination Theory from the set.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2014, 05:38:40 AM »
Forsaken and These Walls made it on tour in the last cycle.  These are straightforward songs in my opinion -- so I think we'll continue to see a mix.  Maybe Wither will get a wider release in the next round.
More straightforward metal songs** i meant to say lol. I was referring to the songs basically created to be singles and were very accessible to people not really into progressive music, though you have a point with Forsaken and These Walls. I consider that to be more circumstantial, honestly, since they wanted to play at least one song from each album, so they couldn't play a lot of 10-15 min songs since they didn't have the set time and they were among the most popular of the shorter songs off those two albums.

Offline Cygnus17

« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2014, 07:12:23 AM »
They should have taken out everything from Awake, and replaced with In the Presence of Enemies, Prophets of War, or more  SFAM.  I really just don't like much on Awake.

THIS.  Really wasn't into the Awake part of the show.  Would be great to have more SFAM material in there...ie: through my words/fatal tragedy/beyond this life.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2014, 09:01:18 AM »
They should boot Awake altogether and do another Metropolis 2000

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2014, 08:50:24 PM »
There's no reason to be mad, Grizz.  I know, I know, you're not actually mad  ;)  Some of us just don't like Awake as much, and would prefer to hear other songs live, especially our favorites songs, and ones we haven't heard live before. 

Offline Grizz

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2014, 10:50:19 PM »
I get it; just joking around

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2014, 05:57:02 PM »
I LOVED the current 2014 setlist. They covered a LOT of what I really wanted to see. My perfect set for the next leg would be-

(FAS intro tape)
The Enemy Inside
This Dying Soul
---
Blind Faith
Enigma Machine (with drum solo)
Surrender to Reason
Octavarium

--------intermission--------

Constant Motion
Only a Matter of Time
---(25 years)
Light Fuse and Getaway
The Killing Hand
Outcry
Disappear
Behind the Veil
Along For the Ride
Illumination Theory
----encore------
Take the Time

The current 2014 setlist adds up to 2:39 in iTunes. This adds up to 2:38 so that should be perfect.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:12:04 PM by TheAtliator »

Offline Grizz

« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2014, 06:05:20 PM »
The current set is 2:44 w/o intermission though- where are the extra five minutes? Drum solo and extended Trial of Tears intro?

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2014, 06:11:21 PM »
Drum solo, TOT intro, more than exactly 0 seconds between songs, Scarred ending (slightly longer than fade out), extra bars in Scarred added before "do you feel you don't know me anymore", talking to the audience, Bad Larry intro tape. Those will certainly account for at least 5 minutes.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2014, 06:58:44 PM »
JLB also talks between the 2 and 3rd songs on the first and second sets, usually a welcome plus a few words and then later he says they are doing stuff from anniversary albums plus a few words.

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2014, 11:22:10 PM »
I LOVED the current 2014 setlist. They covered a LOT of what I really wanted to see. My perfect set for the next leg would be-

(FAS intro tape)
The Enemy Inside
This Dying Soul
---
Blind Faith
Surrender to Reason
Octavarium

Constant Motion
Only a Matter of Time
---(25 years)
Light Fuse and Getaway
The Killing Hand
Outcry
Disappear
Behind the Veil
Along For the Ride
Illumination Theory
----encore------
Take the Time

The current 2014 setlist adds up to 2:39 in iTunes. This adds up to 2:38 so that should be perfect.

I would change it to this:

Set 1:
(FAS intro tape)
The Enemy Inside
This Dying Soul
---JLB speech---
Surrender to Reason
Blind Faith
Along for the Ride
Take the Time
The Bigger Picture

Set 2:
The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
---JLB talks about WDADU 25th---
Status Seeker
The Killing Hand
Only a Matter of Time
---
Behind the Veil
Hell's Kitchen/ (ends on D5, Disappear starts on Dm)
Disappear
Illumination Theory
----encore------
Octavarium

Comes out to about 2:40 not counting the drum solo, and other minor extentions.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2014, 08:52:39 AM »
What about closing one set with The Bigger Picture + About To Crash Reprise + Losing Time/Grand Finale? That'd be the definition of epic :2metal: