Author Topic: Great JP Interview  (Read 14021 times)

Offline pgf

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Great JP Interview
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 06:36:34 PM »
Sigh of relief when I saw FaceCulture.

No echoey boomy room or buzzing microphones :P :P

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 06:51:55 PM »
I think John likes moving forward ;D

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 07:11:22 PM »
I like that John played his first riff at Kevin Moore's house. :)
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 07:39:13 PM »
Best interview I've seen in a while. Not totally filled with stock questions that have been asked 2039489230 times.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 08:30:07 PM »
Very cool interview. Thanks for sharing, man! I enjoyed hearing his answers to those interesting questions.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 12:20:19 AM »
What?  He doesn't speak Italian?  That kinda makes me feel a little better.  I'm Vietnamese and I barley (if at all) can speak Vietnamese. 

So far so good, I'm more intrigued of this interview than ones with the standard stock questions that everyone seems to give to bands when they are touring a new album.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 01:05:54 AM »
FaceCulture's interviews are always great and this is no exception :tup

Offline Dreamer

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 02:58:40 AM »
Very good interview, I love the way John looked when asked some slightly awkward questions :D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 04:07:34 AM »
Very nice, thanks for sharing!

Very classy answers by JP on MP.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 08:24:53 AM »
Good interview!  I really think he seems sincere when he talks about how rewarding his career has been.  That bodes well for the bands future I'd think.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 09:22:33 AM »
Cool interview!

I definitely like how some questions were asked that you normally don't hear asked.

I never would have guessed that the first riff JP played was a Neil Young one (and I am guessing most are with me on that one :lol).

He handled it really well, but I am guessing the Portnoy departure still stings a little bit, as going 3 1/2 years now without seeing the guy who used to be a close band member and a best friend has to be a major bummer, especially on a personal level.  Classy way for JP to handle it, though. :tup :tup

Offline Invisible

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 09:30:12 AM »
I'm not sure JP not seeing MP is a sign of bad relationship, I mean it could be, but not necesarily. When I lived far from my hometown there were friends whom I haven't seen in years just because there simply wasn't time for me or them when I was in town, these guys tour a lot, I would say it has to be extremely difficult to even find the time to hang out I believe.

Good interview by the way, JP is my favourite member when it comes to these, he doesn't drift from the question, he stays on topic but elaborates the right amount in each answer, and is very classy in how he handles difficult questions. He really is an example on and off the stage.

Offline adastra

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 09:37:26 AM »
Damn, that was a good interview!  I just wish it would have been longer :D
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 10:37:28 AM »
Cool interview!

I definitely like how some questions were asked that you normally don't hear asked.

I never would have guessed that the first riff JP played was a Neil Young one (and I am guessing most are with me on that one :lol).

He handled it really well, but I am guessing the Portnoy departure still stings a little bit, as going 3 1/2 years now without seeing the guy who used to be a close band member and a best friend has to be a major bummer, especially on a personal level.  Classy way for JP to handle it, though. :tup :tup

JP proves time and time again in these interviews that he is nothing but class. "How do I look back? I don't.....I look forward..." That is awesome and I don't think he's saying that just to say it.

Great interview. Thanks for posting it pgf
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 11:13:42 AM »
What?  He doesn't speak Italian?  That kinda makes me feel a little better.  I'm Vietnamese and I barley (if at all) can speak Vietnamese. 

So far so good, I'm more intrigued of this interview than ones with the standard stock questions that everyone seems to give to bands when they are touring a new album.

My great-great=great grandparents came from Ireland and I have a horrible Irish accent so I can relate. 

But yes, this interview is the best I've seen in a while. 

Offline Volante99

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 12:10:31 PM »
Cool interview!

JP proves time and time again in these interviews that he is nothing but class. "How do I look back? I don't.....I look forward..." That is awesome and I don't think he's saying that just to say it.

Great interview. Thanks for posting it pgf

I guess it's class, but still I hate how everyone in the band clams up and talks about how "excited they are about the future" the second someone mentions Portnoy. I've always suspected there was so much more to this story, but at the same time I guess it becomes a matter of not airing your dirty laundry. I just wish JP was a bit more candid once in awhile.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 12:28:48 PM »
Really cool interview  :tup It's interesting how JP looks back at WDaDU and I certainly hope there's one or another nod to it later on the tour, or perhaps on the next. I'd like to listen to JMX talk about WDaDU as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 12:33:11 PM »

I guess it's class, but still I hate how everyone in the band clams up and talks about how "excited they are about the future" the second someone mentions Portnoy. I've always suspected there was so much more to this story, but at the same time I guess it becomes a matter of not airing your dirty laundry. I just wish JP was a bit more candid once in awhile.

There is no point since the last thing they need is to get into a social media and internet war with Portnoy (and it would become one if they said anything negative about him, since there is no way he wouldn't respond, and then it would become a huge pissing contest), especially when things are going so good for them right now.  I love that all of the remaining members of the band have handled the split was class.  The only one who has said anything that could be construed as negative is JLB, and even his comments were innocuous enough to where you'd have to be a diehard Portnoy fan to have found them offensive.  Staying out of the fray is the way to go. :tup :tup

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 01:21:20 PM »
I understand what you're saying Shmev, but it's evident that JP's stock answer of only looking forward was going to be all he would say about the matter, until he was pressed further by the interviewer to divulge something more.

And what JP can say about the matter doesn't have to be negative. It could be something as simple as "we had a great run together, and there are times that I think about what we accomplished as a band" - he doesn't even need to say "I miss my old friend occasionally" which I understand could start rumors of "JP WANTS MP BACK IN DT!!!!!". But he doesn't even make the former statement or something to that effect, which I think is a shame, and I agree with Volante that it would be nice for him to be a bit more candid than he is.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2014, 02:26:39 PM »
"we had a great run together, and there are times that I think about what we accomplished as a band"

DREAM THEATER'S PETRUCCI CLOSES DOOR ON PORTNOY RETURN
Says,"We had a great run together"
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2014, 06:13:28 PM »
@MikePortnoy

Just read my old "friend"'s remarks... Seems that door is closed forever.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2014, 06:18:25 PM »
I understand what you're saying Shmev, but it's evident that JP's stock answer of only looking forward was going to be all he would say about the matter, until he was pressed further by the interviewer to divulge something more.

And what JP can say about the matter doesn't have to be negative. It could be something as simple as "we had a great run together, and there are times that I think about what we accomplished as a band" - he doesn't even need to say "I miss my old friend occasionally" which I understand could start rumors of "JP WANTS MP BACK IN DT!!!!!". But he doesn't even make the former statement or something to that effect, which I think is a shame, and I agree with Volante that it would be nice for him to be a bit more candid than he is.

I think you answered why he can't. The same reason why we haven't heard MP compliment or say anything 'nice' about DT post break. It'll be misconstrued into "MP misses DT and wishes he never left"

I liked seeing that pic of MP and JR a month or so back. All those guys spent so much time and life together it'd be a shame for any of the solid relationships to be lost.

I only mention JP having 'class' because it's been consistent from day one. MP had a rough start post break up with the way he presented himself and some of the comments he made.....they were not 'classy' at all and in fact were a bit hostile IMO considering he's the one who bolted on them.

It's apparent though that time has helped calm the waters and I'd be willing to bet that one day, eventually they will share the stage again....maybe not MP as a full time back in the band drummer but definitely playing a song or two with them.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2014, 06:44:03 PM »
I feel like JP wasn't answering his questions in the 2nd half.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2014, 06:50:11 PM »

" So what can you tell us about the next album ? "

" My new Majesty guitar ? Sure i'd love to tell you about it..."

" Now John - just to go a little deeper - have you spoken to Mike Portnoy since he left the group ? "

" Rotating setlists ? Sure maybe one day in the future ! "

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 09:13:14 PM »
Well MP (Winery Dogs) and DT are both playing Sonisphere in July so I'm sure they'll cross paths if they want to.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Volante99

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2014, 09:17:48 PM »

Yeah I kind of started tuning out by the second video. His thoughts on WDaDU and his Italian roots were interesting, but beyond that I didn't get much out of the interview besides how much he loves Rush and Yes, which he talks about in every interview I've seem him in haha

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 12:39:10 AM »
Well MP (Winery Dogs) and DT are both playing Sonisphere in July so I'm sure they'll cross paths if they want to.
If they were playing on the same day, I'd imagine that would be a possibility. But since they're there on separate days, I doubt it. Whether it was specifically planned that way or not (considering that they are both playing the same stage) is a mystery I doubt will get answered.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 04:27:09 AM »
Why are people so interested in what JP thinks about MP?!  Isn't the bands action and when MP asked again to join the band answer that enough?  They were hurt, betrayed and that's it.  Publicly they will say what JP said to not fan the flames in public.  I don't get why you folks deem it so important to know?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2014, 05:14:19 AM »
@MikePortnoy

Is this legit?  If so, was it deleted?  I don't see it on his recent tweets.

If not, I don't see how that is helpful.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2014, 05:29:03 AM »
@MikePortnoy

I think Kotow was just joking, in line with the fake headline ReaPsTA posted.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2014, 05:53:52 AM »
Why are people so interested in what JP thinks about MP?!  Isn't the bands action and when MP asked again to join the band answer that enough?  They were hurt, betrayed and that's it.  Publicly they will say what JP said to not fan the flames in public.  I don't get why you folks deem it so important to know?
The interviewer could be just trying to get a quote, but considering the amount of time that's passed now (3.5 years) some people (myself included) are curious to know what happened and where things are at today. Time allows them to look back and reflect on what happened with a (hopefully) more balanced viewpoint. And face it, it is the elephant that will continue to be in the room for at least a few more years.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2014, 06:29:11 AM »
I look at it as personal between ex bandmates and it is obvious by JP's answers in the interview he thinks the same.   Plus why even stir up that nest?  The band wants to move on and fans need to as well.

Am I curious as well?  Yeah sure I am but after 3.5 years it's time to move on.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Invisible

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2014, 12:23:22 PM »
How??? :huh: :huh: I actually rewatched the whole thing to find one question he didn't answer and he did all of them perfectly.

I simply don't understand what some of you expect of him, it's a public interview, of course he's going to measure his words. His answers about Mike were perfect: "I don't look back, I look forward" which is I think (I bold the text, because it's my very personal read on the answer) a very polite and classy way of saying "I'm tired of this question, Mike's gone, get over it". I understand that since this is Mangini first album in the writing process to make the comparison between them, I'm hoping the next album this question doesn't come up ever again, but asking AGAIN about A Dramatic Turn Of Events seems tiring, it's been asked every time on the last tour, there's nothing new you're going to get with that, it hasn't been that long considering what happened. I think the way they are handling it it's the way to go, not taking away Portnoy's credit for the past, but moving on to the future and not looking back, it's a perfect answer, and they should stick to it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2014, 02:14:38 PM »
@MikePortnoy

I think Kotow was just joking, in line with the fake headline ReaPsTA posted.