Author Topic: JLB interview with Classic Rock Russia  (Read 1979 times)

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
JLB interview with Classic Rock Russia
« on: March 24, 2014, 04:08:40 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhGukovYoLQ

A few interesting bits. Mainly that JLB views the band's 30th anniversary as 2019, not 2015. Would be kind of strange to celebrate the 20th Anniversary in 2005/06 but the 30th in 2019...  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: JLB interview with Classic Rock Russia
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 04:17:55 PM »
I always thought it was strange that they celebrated their 20th anniversary in 2005, since 99.999% of bands out there base their anniversaries, and corresponding tours, on what year their debut album came out, but I am sure we can guess whose idea that was. :lol :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 04:35:22 PM »
Why is the new album self-titled ?

* Oh for f.....* ::)

" Well ..... " :)

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 04:44:42 PM »
Why was the album self titled... The same reason every god dam band releases a selftitled album dam it! It's a statement. And such a waste of a question! Anyway.. I better just take one of these.  :chill

Anyway, most bands Debut these days tend to release a record straight away, things seem to happen more quickly now. But it completely makes sense for MP to consider 1985 the start, because.. it was when the band formed. And I suppose there's the argument that they weren't even called Dream Theater until about 89, but it was still a fairly consistent line up and they were making the same sorta music they'd go on to make in DT.

I guess we'll see next year if they acknowledge this '30th'. I think perhaps one reason for the band to re define this date is because the original Majesty lineup is officially a minority of the members now where as 10 years ago this wasn't the case, so perhaps 89 is more relevant now as James joined in 90 and despite not being present for WDADU writing, he was still probably more involved with performing WDADU than Dominici ever was.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 08:00:18 AM »
I always thought it was strange that they celebrated their 20th anniversary in 2005, since 99.999% of bands out there base their anniversaries, and corresponding tours, on what year their debut album came out, but I am sure we can guess whose idea that was. :lol :lol

Agreed, 2009 would have made more sense for the 20th Anniversary tour, but I guess we're stuck with it. Surely they have to do something next year, if at all?

Offline Invisible

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 04:27:09 PM »
This.

I also thought it was extremely weird especially considering they weren't even Dream Theater back then, and much more considering they didn't took off until '92 with I&W. I don't see it as wrong with the core band being there, but I'm on James side of the argument that it doesn't make sense now.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 08:05:48 AM »
This.

I also thought it was extremely weird especially considering they weren't even Dream Theater back then, and much more considering they didn't took off until '92 with I&W. I don't see it as wrong with the core band being there, but I'm on James side of the argument that it doesn't make sense now.
I disagree. When the band celebrated their 20th anniversary in 2005/2006, it was the anniversary of the band, not the debut album, and at the majority of the shows on that tour, they played something from each album, including Another Won from 1985/1986. Honestly, to me it makes a lot more sense to celebrate the band anniversary than an album anniversary, unless it's gonna be a focal point of the show, as Awake and SFaM are on the current tour. But when you're doing a retrospective tour, then the anniversary recognized should be the band's beginning point.

Not only that, but the whole "they weren't even Dream Theater back then" is not true. It was a name change - that's all - it's not even a situation of the guys being in Majesty, breaking up, and then everyone later getting back together aside from Chris Collins. Had that other band not already had the rights to the name Majesty, it's quite possible that's what DT would still be known as today.

That said, I can understand why a band like Rush has chosen to use 1974 as their starting point, since that is when Neil joined the band. But when a band has multiple lineup changes, as DT did, then I don't understand why the debut album should be considered the started date/year of the band's existence.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Invisible

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 04:35:44 PM »

Not only that, but the whole "they weren't even Dream Theater back then" is not true. It was a name change - that's all - it's not even a situation of the guys being in Majesty, breaking up, and then everyone later getting back together aside from Chris Collins. Had that other band not already had the rights to the name Majesty, it's quite possible that's what DT would still be known as today.
And for that we have to be eternally grateful to that jazz band, I hate the name Majesty. Well, not hate it, but I think it's extremely lame and dated. I'm glad they changed it.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 04:19:57 PM »
Imagine that...

DT12 = M12 = Majesty.

hahahaha

no thanks
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 05:04:44 PM »
I've always thought that it made absolutely no sense to celebrate their "20th Anniversary" in 2005. That was definitely a Portnoy idea.
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 05:26:34 PM »
I disagree. When the band celebrated their 20th anniversary in 2005/2006, it was the anniversary of the band, not the debut album, and at the majority of the shows on that tour, they played something from each album, including Another Won from 1985/1986.

Completely agree. The Anniversary makes sense for the band line up at the time, and the fact that they included the Majesty song (I can only guess it was written, if not recorded in about 1985 as the Score show would have us believe), then there's the whole 'History of Dream Theater' kind of presentation for the show (going through the albums through a timeline) kind of represents the amount of time they've been doing this. That being said, without MP that starting point might not represent the band enough anymore, but I dunno, I suppose it doesn't matter all too much.