Author Topic: Another top 50 thread v. son_ov_hades  (Read 22384 times)

Offline son_ov_hades

Re: Another top 50 thread v. son_ov_hades
« Reply #245 on: March 27, 2014, 05:58:13 PM »
Well, placing Metropolis first would automatically make us not-friends.  :lol

I guess we're not friends.  :'(

Metropolis obv since it hasn't been on your list yet  :tup

Metropolis obv since it hasn't been on your list yet  :tup
Yep. As soon as I saw that list I hit Ctrl+F to find Metropolis and only found this post, so that would be my guess.

The lack of Metropolis in your list tells me that your #1 is definitely Metropolis. As it should be. :biggrin:

Good guesses all of you!

Misunderstood.

Just...no. Pretty good song but maybe worth 60 tops.

Oh, and by the way, if Scarred if the worst song on Awake and barely missed the list, where are Caught In A Web, Innocence Faded, The Mirror and Erotomania? :P

Every song from Awake was considered for my list, the ones that didn't make it would likely be 56-51 actually.

#1 Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle And The Sleeper

Here it is the absolute best song not only in Dream Theater, but indeed of all prog metal. When I began writing this list each spot required quite a bit of thought, and many songs I like a lot didn't make the list at all. There was not one single moment of doubt or hesitation for the number one spot though. Few bands ever create an album of perfection like Images And Words, every song from the album made my list. Fewer still manage to write a single song that is so well crafted, so engaging, and so god damn groundbreaking that it transcends and becomes a truly magical experience.

Metropolis is the quintessential Dream Theater song. Everything that the band is and has been is embodied beautifully in this song. Its heavy, metallic, melodic, technical, complex, and fucking progressive! I can think of no better song that embodies everything that defines Dream Theater. Whenever someone asks about the band I always play this song for them, if you don't like Metropolis you won't like Dream Theater.

Every single note, every beat, each second of the song is incredible. The intro builds from a soft opening to an extremely powerful riff. LaBrie's vocals throughout the song are simply put amazing. I can't even point to a single line or moment, the whole performance is just fucking perfection. Dream Theater is known for their instrumentals, but the instrumental section of Metropolis is the be all end all. The way the band plays together so well, tight and precise yet with immense feeling, is stunning. Unisons are also a staple of this band, and here again is the best bar none. Kevin Moore and John Petrucci play off of each other as only such exceptionally talented musicians with an intimate knowledge of each other could. Don't think I'm forgetting Mike Portnoy and John Myung, their playing is spectacular and integral. I have a hard time finding an example, again the entire song is the example. My single favorite LaBrie moment is at the end when the vocals come back, “Before the leaves have fallen”. I'm just gonna shut up now. Metropolis is a song that has had an impact on me like few others, a rare example of genuinely perfect piece of music.

"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #246 on: March 27, 2014, 06:31:27 PM »
Sadly, a clichéd ending for an amazing list.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #247 on: March 27, 2014, 09:03:59 PM »

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. :P

I honestly don't care how obligatory it is. This is indeed DT's crowning masterpiece. You hit the nail on the head here son. :tup

I don't even think this song requires an explanation beyond listening to the song itself. It's that amazing that words do it no justice. As for it being the best song in all of prog metal, you might just be right.

I definitely enjoyed following the list. Yeah there were a few I flat out disagreed with and quite a few I rooted for, but it was pretty interesting to say the least. :tup

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #248 on: March 27, 2014, 10:35:22 PM »
Really enjoyed following your list, although I strongly disagree with your #1. I still liked the vast majority of your picks. :tup

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #249 on: March 28, 2014, 02:40:58 AM »
One of the most distinguished top 50 lists I've ever come across in terms of writing style. The standard was so high, it could easily pass as an article. :clap:

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: March 28, 2014, 03:17:55 AM »
Can't argue with number one  :tup   Well done - I've followed on and off and enjoyed the read.  I'm considered by many to be overly verbose when it comes to talking music but some of the descriptions/analysis of songs and albums in these threads (and Top 50) is pretty amazing and goes way beyond the amount of thought I put into my listening.  Much of it is very impressive and yours is no exception.

Good job - and I'm glad you didn't change your number one to avoid being cliche :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #251 on: March 28, 2014, 08:01:42 AM »
I enjoyed following and disagreeing with your list. :neverusethis: Metropolis is a fine song, but I personally do not think it is top 10 worthy.

Offline Invisible

« Reply #252 on: March 28, 2014, 04:42:22 PM »
Great list, great write ups and a worthy nº1(even if I'm not sure it would make my top 20 :lol)! :tup Can't go wrong with Metropolis, cliche or not it's one of the most distinctive Dream Theater songs, even if it's not my favourite. I actually feel the same way about my nº1, all the others are tough to place, but the nº1 is really easy.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #253 on: March 29, 2014, 04:52:55 PM »

Thank you for the back handed compliment.  :lol

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. :P

I honestly don't care how obligatory it is. This is indeed DT's crowning masterpiece. You hit the nail on the head here son. :tup

I don't even think this song requires an explanation beyond listening to the song itself. It's that amazing that words do it no justice. As for it being the best song in all of prog metal, you might just be right.

I definitely enjoyed following the list. Yeah there were a few I flat out disagreed with and quite a few I rooted for, but it was pretty interesting to say the least. :tup

I'm convinced I'm right.  :laugh: Metropolis will forever be the crowning achievement of the genre. Thanks for the kind words.  :tup

Really enjoyed following your list, although I strongly disagree with your #1. I still liked the vast majority of your picks. :tup

It is literally incomprehensible to me that anyone can be a Dream Theater fan and not love Metropolis. But I'm glad you liked the rest of the list.

One of the most distinguished top 50 lists I've ever come across in terms of writing style. The standard was so high, it could easily pass as an article. :clap:

:hefdaddy Wow thank you so much! I see all those college classes finally paid off.  :lol I

Can't argue with number one  :tup   Well done - I've followed on and off and enjoyed the read.  I'm considered by many to be overly verbose when it comes to talking music but some of the descriptions/analysis of songs and albums in these threads (and Top 50) is pretty amazing and goes way beyond the amount of thought I put into my listening.  Much of it is very impressive and yours is no exception.

Good job - and I'm glad you didn't change your number one to avoid being cliche :)

You guys are too much. Basically I'm just a reasonably well educated music nerd who rambles. Thank you. My number one would never change.

I enjoyed following and disagreeing with your list. :neverusethis: Metropolis is a fine song, but I personally do not think it is top 10 worthy.

I enjoyed our disagreements too. I like that Dream Theater is diverse and expansive enough that fans can have wildly divergent opinions, like you and I.

Great list, great write ups and a worthy nº1(even if I'm not sure it would make my top 20 :lol)! :tup Can't go wrong with Metropolis, cliche or not it's one of the most distinctive Dream Theater songs, even if it's not my favourite. I actually feel the same way about my nº1, all the others are tough to place, but the nº1 is really easy.

Thanks! I can understand Metropolis not being your favorite, the band has a fuck ton of great songs. It is one that certainly can be justified though.

Again, thanks everyone for following my list. I enjoyed writing it, hope you enjoyed reading. 
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"