Author Topic: 2014-10-29 Palais Theatre-Melbourne, AUS  (Read 5329 times)

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
2014-10-29 Palais Theatre-Melbourne, AUS
« on: August 17, 2014, 09:12:13 AM »
As reported on DT.com

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2014-10-29 Palais Theatre-Melbourne, AUS
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 08:26:29 PM »
Well Ticketmaster made a bloody balls up of the "pre-sale" and now I'm stuck with a couple of tickets I don't need.   So if anyone needs some then let me know.

I was on the job at one second after sales opened and the best available tickets were Silver  :omg: (below Platinum and Gold) and I didn't know what the hell to think. And the categories of ticket didn't match the categories on the seating diagram , so confusion reigns....... If I don't take the tickets I might miss out but I'd never seen anything sell out like it at this venue , even for much bigger acts.  So I took the tickets...........and just to see what had happened I went back to see what was the best available seats five minutes later and they're Gold in the section I had wanted to make the night managable with my busted leg . And so I bought those too  >:(  >:(

I suppose I'll let things settle down and see if it sells out - hopefully I won't have trouble moving the tickets i don't need.  Ticketmaster gets a big  :tdwn  Might ring them actually and see if I can cancel the first order.

Anyway..............I'm there ..........twice ;D

PS   10-15 minutes later Platinum were best available .
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 08:43:42 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 08:53:47 PM »
Got a refund thankfully - they reckon a whole load of people had the Platinum and Gold up in the few milliseconds before I did,  but didn't buy ..................but I don't buy that.  Never seen anything like that - but in the end all is good.

Plenty of other complaints filtering through now so seems I'm not Robinson Crusoe.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 10:02:43 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 09:13:59 PM »
A tip for anyone wanting to know about VIP , seeing as there was no promotion that I'm aware of ................they're $440 (incl seat) so you're paying an extra $250-$300 for the experience and the buying page is only available via the link on dreamtheater.net  .  If you search for Dream Theater on Ticketmaster it will take you to the regular page but no VIP. 

And from what I'm hearing now the regular seats are best done via the link on DT.net also...........some better seats available there even though it's all via ticketmaster
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 11:34:49 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 09:27:08 PM »
...................and an Aussie interview for you

https://www.theaureview.com/interviews/john-petrucci-of-dream-theater-usa-talks-the-upcoming-australian-tour-gear-and-meat

Reading between the lines Blob it doesn't sound like they're scaling things back much ,if at all.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 10:32:01 PM »
Got 2 Platinum tickets near centre about 10 rows back. Happy with that!

Traveling from Adelaide with a friend. Most expensive concert I've ever done ;). Got cheap accom just near the venue in St Kilda, so happy with that.

Wanted to go to Sydney but traveling from Adelaide, Melbourne is cheaper. Although, Sydney DT tickets were cheaper. Meh, who cares.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 09:29:06 AM »
Nice job cookienut......console yourself with the fact that you'll be at a much nicer venue.  Click to enlarge - DT in this place will be magic.

No tickets available via any avenue at the moment - unless they've held back tickets until after the "pre-sale" , it might just be a first day sellout .  Hopefully the band is impressed and won't wait 5 years to come back.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:36:47 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 11:10:43 AM »
...................and an Aussie interview for you

https://www.theaureview.com/interviews/john-petrucci-of-dream-theater-usa-talks-the-upcoming-australian-tour-gear-and-meat

Reading between the lines Blob it doesn't sound like they're scaling things back much ,if at all.

Hm hard to tell from a quick skim. I don't think we'll be missing out an anything even if they do scale back a bit. Looks like a killer venue too. How many people does it hold?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 04:47:34 PM »
A tad under 3000 Blob.  They sold out Festival Hall in '08 which is closer to 5000 , so I'm sure they could do a second gig if they had the time.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 11:11:02 PM »
Sounds like a similar scale-down to here. The Hordern Pavilion they played the last two times holds about 5500 people, whereas the Big Top they'll be playing this time is also just a smidge under 3000.
I don't think they'll have a problem selling 3000 tickets in either city.

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 01:45:57 AM »
Yeah, the Palais certainly looks like a great atmosphere. By most accounts acoustics are good too. Oh over 2 months wait now. Damn!

Offline matthewm4

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 09:57:43 PM »
Got my tix, Row E! They played 2 nights at the Palais in 2009 and it was amazing. Were able to get good tickets at the door on the second night for only $70 that time though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 11:32:42 PM »
I can confirm that , aside from a few VIP tix , the Melbourne show is a sellout.  :tup

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 06:37:10 PM »
Still a few for sale, Does anyone know if any of the guys plan to do any in store appearances?  Last time J.P. and M.P. did.     

Random thought but does it piss anyone off that Ticketmaster will only sell premium seats in multiples?

I know a few people who like DT but not enough to pay $450!       :smiley:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 12:52:11 AM »
Just got this from the promoter   :-\

At the request of the artist, there is strictly no photography, audio or video recording of any kind permitted during the show.  This includes the use of mobile phones

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 01:53:19 AM »
Interesting usually The Palais is fine with cameras....I would check with the venue....I purchased my meet and greet as an upgrade and although I have the receipt and confirmation...I am yet to receive times etc....I know it is Sunday in America just a little paranoid......
Two days to go!  :smiley:

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 08:39:36 PM »
Not long now! Flying out of Adelaide tomorrow morning, watching the concert with a mate and then flying home on Thursday.

As for the photography...how are they going to police it?

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 08:40:07 PM »
Just spoke to the venue, and they have been authorised to confiscate phones, cameras etc...hopefully everyone sees this before tomorrow night.

I hope their photographer is better than the one for the last meet and greet at The Palais in 2009!  ::)

Looking forward to the show!  :smiley: 

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 09:01:02 PM »
For anyone going to the meet and greet, you should have the email in your inbox...it would have arrived very recent.

It is 5pm sharp.... 2 items only ..... no cameras allowed ..... a waiver is attached that needs to be signed. 

Leaving now staying in St. Kilda for two days....can't wait!  :smiley:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 09:14:00 PM »
For anyone going to the meet and greet, you should have the email in your inbox...it would have arrived very recent.

It is 5pm sharp.... 2 items only ..... no cameras allowed ..... a waiver is attached that needs to be signed. 

Yep, that's typical for meet and greets. Keep an eye out for the guy getting his JPMM guitar signed. There always seems to be one. :lol

I wonder if the times will be the same for the Sydney show? The best info I can find says 7pm for the show, but I'm not sure if that's just the doors. Without an opening act, they'll obviously go on earlier, but 7 seems really early. No idea on the M&G. I'm still trying to plan my day.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 11:15:12 PM »
Just got this from the promoter   :-\

At the request of the artist, there is strictly no photography, audio or video recording of any kind permitted during the show.  This includes the use of mobile phones

Pffff, no one ever follows that.  And if something does happen, well then.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 11:58:39 PM »
I don't fancy having my phone/camera in the hands of some neanderthal for the night , but we'll see what we can do  ;D

The DT leather jacket is out of hibernation , the 25 yr anniversary t-shirt is out and we're ready to rumble

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline scythe

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 06:20:48 AM »
what a awesome show that was.

anyone see some flog having a go at the sound guys at intermission? what the hell was that about?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 07:20:53 AM »
what a awesome show that was.

anyone see some flog having a go at the sound guys at intermission? what the hell was that about?

At a guess -  because the sound was dreadful.

I'll preface my comments by saying that I was seated up top for health reasons (I couldn't have stood for long) and so perhaps things were different downstairs (sounds like perhaps not).

First - the positives (and there are many):

- the stage show (lights, video) etc......were spot on
- the performances (from the little I could hear) were spot on
- the band were having great fun , especially Mangini who was the life of the party
- JLB said they'll try to make it only a couple of years this time rather than making us wait 5 years again

All of the above were offset by the sound being a wall of muddy bass that overwhelmed almost everything else.  The only thing that I heard consistently well all night was the drums - and I had a great time just watching MM - but for all but the quiet moments in songs I could barely make out anything JP and JLB especially were doing , which really ruined what should have been a great night.  I don't think any one instrument was too loud - everything was 20-30% too loud.  My ears are sure rooted  ;D

I went to the gig with my sister who is a I&W nut (and less so DT12) and so , aside from the CD I burned her of the setlist a few weeks back , she had little exeprience with most of the songs.  She really couldn't make out anything much - you really needed to be able to sing along from memory in your mind to have any clue .  You shouldn't have to put up with that - if there's good sound someone should be able to walk in off the street and at least discern some sort of song/melody.

I've seen more than a dozen gigs at this venue and have NEVER had a bad night with sound , so I think I can say that perhaps the sound guys did deserve a decent bake. 

Overall............disappointed.  Which is a shame because aside from the sound (and nothing from I&W) I think everything was fantastic.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 07:47:04 AM »
That's a shame. The first time I saw them in Sydney, the drums and guitar dominated the mix at the start, but they dialed it in within a couple of songs and then it was mostly fine. I don't remember any specific complaints about the second show either, aside from both shows just being loud.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 07:48:45 AM »
I'd take some earplugs Blob - the sound improved a little if I put my fingers in my ears  ;D

Initially I thought it was the rhythm guitar sound but then when I couldn't hear any leads either.......I think it was just volume overwhelming everything in the end.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 07:52:35 AM »
They're playing a different venue, so I don't know what the sound will be like this time. The only band I've ever seen play there is Opeth, and they had great sound, but they also kept the volume in check.

I always try to remember to bring ear plugs (not sure if I have any around at the moment), but at least I never get too close. I usually hang around near the sound desk. That's if I'm on the floor. I actually don't know what section I'll be in.

Offline scythe

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 08:16:55 AM »
weird, can't say that squares with my experience at all. i was on the halfway aisle and noticed no problems with the sound.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 02:48:32 PM »
Melbourne turned on the weather for DT....it was a beautiful day and night for their concert..Thank God it wasn't Monday!

I loved every minute of the concert, the sound did seem a little off for the first few songs....I think it wasn't until the 4th song that I actually heard JM at all....tempo seemed a little fast for a few tracks and maybe some fubbed lyrics...but it settled soon enough.

As a massive JP fan I thought the first set was a guitar fans dream....don't ask me for the set list...I hope someone posts it?!  :smiley:
Still great in the second

It was a mash from a whole lot of albums but JLB made mention of the anniversary for Awake and Scenes so they played a few from each....I am sure I am not the only fan who thought they may play the entire scenes album when they went from Overture to Strange Deja Vu ....alas not to be....I have made mention that I had not listened to the new album too much but hearing tracks live certainly can change an opinion of a song.  JLB sounded great, I loved him singing Lifting Shadows off a dream...and JP he can do no wrong.  :angel:

The intermission ads, you tube clips, etc and the graphics through the whole show were exceptional. :smiley:  I want the JP Transformer and the JLB and JR dolls  :smiley:

During The Meet and Greet I asked JP about playing Hell's Kitchen... (I put this on a postcard as if it was a repeat of 2009 at the table I couldn't talk to either JP or MP.... my mind turned into we're not worthy from Wayne's World   :hefdaddy)  he told me nice try, but they couldn't.

But they did start playing what I thought was going to be The Instrumedley (like Live in Budokan) so I thought maybe....but no.. :'(

All the guys seemed to be having a great time, not sure how long it had been since they had landed but they had to be jetlagged but it didn't show. Mangini could not wipe the smile from his face for the entire show.  :smiley:

I was second row on the balcony, and hopefully the guys understand in the first four rows of the balcony due to safety regulations we are not allowed to stand....at the end security don't seem to care so much....maybe then you're allowed to fall over!  ::)

They were pretty vigilant with the no camera rule, came up to guys near me quite often.

Yes the volume was loud, here we are at 7.30am Thursday morning at my ears are still ringing... :smiley: 
But I think my ears have put up with a lot of loud music over the years....Vai 2000 at The Palace next to a speaker at the stage...that was
3 days of ringing.

Meet and Greet

This was organised well...I went in last with some great people I met...the photo I hope turns out well...one minute the guys are behind a screen next minute you're up....I think I mumbled hello....I got very shy, very quickly  :blush. I think I am the same height as Mangini, no offence to him or JR but I would have preferred to stand next to JP....but you are told before the photo....no hand shaking, no touching, no talking to the guys you will have time for that at the signing.

Now last time (2009) they made last in for photo, first for signing, this time they didn't do that and I am so glad because it means by the end they are a little more relaxed about the two item rule....So the order was JM, JR, MM, JLB, JP fantastic order it meant by the time I got to JP most of my nerves were gone...so I got them all to sign my Lifting Shadows Hardcover Book and The insert from The Dramatic Turn Of Events LP Box Set....and JR signed my copy of Scenes (he was the only one that didn't sign it in 2009) and both JR and JP signed my booklet from Liquid Tension Experiment....I had another 8 CD sleeves in my bag...but I didn't want to push my luck....maybe next time...they did promise 2 years, let's hope they stick to it! :smiley:

Now they're playing their last Aussie show tonight in Sydney...I so wish I was going...I hope the set list is as good as Melbourne and maybe you guys will get Hell's Kitchen.

They were well worth the 5 year wait! :smiley: 

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 04:28:39 PM by lucky7 »

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 04:08:44 PM »
I travelled from Adelaide and was right near the front on the left. Yes it was loud. A little too loud. But that's OK, I adjusted after a few songs and was alp good after that.

Set list was golden with tonnes of Awake and Scenes. Very happy about that.

The only problem was the fact that many people in the Orchestra pit seemed like they didn't want to be there. Really wiered. I was going off my rocker headbanging and singing. So who knows. Many people sat down for most of the show. That's fine and all but usually down the front, you stand and rock out. I mean, how do you airdrum sitting down?! Ha ha. Eventually everyone stood. It just seemed strange to me.

Either way, the band played the best I have ever seen. If there were fluff ups, the were minimal. Labrie vocals were god-tier. He was pulling out some real high stuff and nailing it constantly. Truly back to his best. Mangini...what a monster. He does things so simply up there that I just can't fathom.

Since I was about 7 rows back in the front, I was the first person standing. While it was dissapoibting no one else was, I had some amazing direct eye contact with Labrie and Rudess in particular. It just made me rock out even more.

Overall, loved it and can't wait to see them again. 

Offline KISS 76

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 04:28:16 PM »
Yes the crowd were weird. We were 11th row from the front in the orchestra pit & were amazed with so many people sitting down. Damn well guaranteed that no DVD will ever be filmed down here & the 5 year gap between tours hasn't really made the crowds hungry to see the band. Paid $200 to sit down most of the show while we lunatics could have stood there & rocked out for the band...

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2014, 04:34:23 PM »
I can't speak for every audience member but from my own experience from the last 20 years of concerts .. more so G3, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani etc Melbourne crowds are very sedate .. it may also have been from years of standing at venues like The Palace (before it burnt down) The Forum, Festival Hall where it was always standing room only... we still are appreciating the great music..just sitting down.  :smiley:

Also I am vertically challenged so there always seems to be heaps of tall guys in front of me ( e.g. DT Festival Hall 2008)   ::)

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2014, 05:49:03 PM »
The fact that DT request no photos or videos was also strange. They never care normally so that had me confused. And security were hunting down anyone even holding their phone up. Funny thing was it was a meta game of when a guard went to tell someone off, everyone's phones came out to quickly snap photos and then put away when the guard came back. Made me chuckle. DT didn't seem to care whatsover if someone pointed a camera at them...so maybe there was an exclusive deal or something for official photography. Who knows. Any way, here is Mangini demoing is Aussie rules skills:

https://twitter.com/cookienut1982/status/527968421623775232/photo/1

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2014, 07:26:10 PM »
It was the first time I saw that stipulated, they didn't confiscate any which they said they would....I left my camera and phone in my hotel room...now I wish I had just hidden it in my bag.

I did notice just as the show was about to start there were about 9 professional photographers lined up along the side so maybe there was some deal .. will have to look out for Beat Magazine next week maybe DT made the cut.