Author Topic: 2014-03-31 - Count Basie Theatre - Red Bank, NJ  (Read 14846 times)

Offline tjanuranus

Re: 2014-03-31 - Count Basie Theatre - Red Bank, NJ
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2014, 11:53:31 PM »
I was in the third row dead center.. Best concert I have been to in years.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2014, 01:03:24 AM »
Best concert ever! I was in the 5th row near Petrucci.

Here is the live guitar solo for Space-Dye Vest!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6pEH02BN3E

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2014, 07:47:04 AM »
Really good show. I like how James said we better not go on the boards and say the band didn't put it all into the show.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2014, 09:36:21 AM »
Really good show. I like how James said we better not go on the boards and say the band didn't put it all into the show.

I had a good laugh at that! They actually read these boards.  :lol Hey James if you're reading this, your performance was the best I've seen!  :hefdaddy

I took a few videos, and I'm surprised at how good they actually sound. They don't look half bad either.

The Enemy Inside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9yuH-58Rfc&feature=youtu.be

Lie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM1bugbMvAk

Space Dye Vest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb3xtGLcVGo
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:44:06 AM by son_ov_hades »
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2014, 09:42:13 AM »

I had a good laugh at that! They actually read these boards.  :lol Hey James if you're reading this, your performance was the best I've seen!  :hefdaddy

Ill second that.  I liked how he called the haters out, also kind of gave the band a reason to give it all (not like they dont anyway).

I was very surprised by the crowd last night.  Not sold out, but pretty packed considering the discussion about ticket sales.  I also really liked the venue, although living so close to Red Bank Ive never actually been inside the theater.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2014, 09:45:52 AM »

Ill second that.  I liked how he called the haters out, also kind of gave the band a reason to give it all (not like they dont anyway).

I was very surprised by the crowd last night.  Not sold out, but pretty packed considering the discussion about ticket sales.  I also really liked the venue, although living so close to Red Bank Ive never actually been inside the theater.

Yeah I'm surprised how packed it was. I guess a ton of people bought tickets at the door. I love the Count Basie, I've been there a few times and never had a bad experience.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2014, 09:57:11 AM »
I hope they play there again. It felt like such an intimate show! Nothing too crazy... The security were very nice as well.

I thought the visuals and the sound was great too!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2014, 10:03:45 AM »
Id love to see them there again.  I wonder if people came after seeing the show on Friday and enjoyed it enough to want to see it again.  My brother and father came with me, both of who arent into dream theater.  My brother really liked it... my father appreciated the talent but he said the time changes in all the songs was too much for him.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2014, 06:10:22 PM »
Pretty amazing show.  Could have done without the screen stuff, but it was better than last time. Pretty amazing set too.

Definately having fun and being themselves out there without trying so hard to have a stage presence.

Just go out and do their thing. It was great...especially since James gave up the faux-metal frontman thing.

Can't wait for the next leg.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2014, 07:17:18 PM »
I have been very vocal about how the last DT show I went to (PNC in 2012) was probably my least favorite of their shows that I had ever been to and how they'd basically become more of a "studio band" for me. So after 25 DT shows I went into last night's show hoping to get back some of the magic I used to feel when seeing these guys live. I can honestly say that the band gave me that, and then some. First off, the setlist is incredible! I love every DT album, but Awake and SFaM might be my top two so to see them basically do an entire set of those two albums was awesome. I've always loved James voice but have always said he leaves a lot to be desired as a frontman, but last night seemed different. Like I said I had seen DT 25 times prior to last night and I can honestly say that I've never seem James look so comfortable on stage and be able to work the crowd so well. And he sounded great too! Last night was an incredible show and I can't wait until they come around again. The only disappointing thing was the fact that they didn't play Behind the Veil as that might be my favorite song on that album but given the set that they played I certainly can't complain.

Regarding the screen stuff, I really enjoyed it. And the video during intermission was awesome!

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2014, 09:37:21 AM »
DT2003, I agree with everything you said except the last line. Personally, aside from the opening sequence before the band took the stage, I thought the video's were completely useless, and especially the intermission video which was absurd. I watched them at the NYC show, but never looked at them again in NJ (the fact that I was right in front of JP all night helped! :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2014, 10:58:54 AM »
I dont understand the negativity towards the videos.  Would you rather just see the band instead? If so then thats valid.  I found that I can watch the band and enjoy and then look up to see whats going on and how it may connect to the song.  I wont say the videos were amazing, but I think they played a good part in the overall live experience.  Also the big screen was beautiful and some of the solo spots with the graphics over the live shots were pretty cool and well done. (Fireworks during JPs solo for example)

Offline DT2003

« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2014, 12:57:55 PM »
Yeah I don't understand the negativity either, especially towards the intermission video.  Not sure how it could be considered "absurd", but I'd certainly much rather watch something like that compared to there being nothing on the screen.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2014, 02:49:22 PM »
Yeah I don't understand the negativity either, especially towards the intermission video.  Not sure how it could be considered "absurd", but I'd certainly much rather watch something like that compared to there being nothing on the screen.

I just found the whole thing silly and childish. They have taken that directly from Rush (and that's also the ONLY thing I hate about Rush....their silly videos). Just one man's opinion :tup

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2014, 02:53:09 PM »
I dont understand the negativity towards the videos.  Would you rather just see the band instead? If so then thats valid.  I found that I can watch the band and enjoy and then look up to see whats going on and how it may connect to the song.  I wont say the videos were amazing, but I think they played a good part in the overall live experience.  Also the big screen was beautiful and some of the solo spots with the graphics over the live shots were pretty cool and well done. (Fireworks during JPs solo for example)

I was mainly talking about the intermission. For the most part, the video's during the show were pretty cool (with the exceptions of the video during Enigma Machine  :loser:) and the video during The Enemy Inside (I hate when bands show music videos while they're playing). And you are right the big screen was beautiful and the graphics over the live shots were cool (especially the fireworks during JPs solo)  :tup :metal

Offline dragonmaster715

« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2014, 02:54:16 PM »
I was there! It was my first Dream Theater concert, and it was amazing. I can't believe they started exactly on time! More than on time, they started a minute early! We were walking in and I hear The enemy inside  starting! By the time we got to our seats and I started recording the song, it was already past the first chorus. Either way the video kinda sucked, hand kept drifting so the video wasn't looking at the stage. It's great to see good videos of what I tried to record online. Too bad no one recorded Finally Free though. Or at least, recorded and posted.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2014, 03:04:42 PM »
I was there! It was my first Dream Theater concert, and it was amazing. I can't believe they started exactly on time! More than on time, they started a minute early! We were walking in and I hear The enemy inside  starting! By the time we got to our seats and I started recording the song, it was already past the first chorus. Either way the video kinda sucked, hand kept drifting so the video wasn't looking at the stage. It's great to see good videos of what I tried to record online. Too bad no one recorded Finally Free though. Or at least, recorded and posted.

I dont remember off hand, but I think I got part of it recorded.  My favorite part of it.

Offline dragonmaster715

« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2014, 02:18:48 PM »
So, I was just thinking about this concert and I was wondering if any bootlegs had been recorded of it. Does anyone know if one exists? Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2014, 04:28:30 PM »
Not that I know.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2014, 04:47:05 PM »
I never looked, but I doubt it too.