Author Topic: The Jazz Thread  (Read 114281 times)

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
Re: The Jazz Thread
« Reply #280 on: May 14, 2011, 11:14:34 AM »
Tangentially related to jazz cool story bro:

Me and a friend have put together 'Kind of Blue on the Col-Train Tracks,' which is, as the name (terribly) suggests, Kind of Blue, Blood on the Tracks and Blue Train all put together and alternating tracks, and is the BEST PLAYLIST EVER. We're saving it for the last night of exams, and instead of going on a massive bender like most of our year we're gonna sit with coffee and some beers and probably just contentedly go 'aaaaaaaaah,' as the jazz owns our souls.

It's fun being middle aged men before our time.  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #281 on: May 14, 2011, 11:25:58 AM »
The only Wes Montgomery I'm familiar with is Bumpin', but it's a pretty cool album!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #282 on: May 15, 2011, 04:56:33 AM »
I'd like to pitch in my two bits (as a budding jazz listener), and say, right here; Walkin' is an excellent album!  The title track alone makes it worth a purchase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbpqeevkhm0

I would like to ask, as someone only really familiar with his material, aside from Walkin', from 63-69 (+Kind of Blue/Sketches of Spain), what would you say from Davis's pre-59 work would be most appealing to someone who really enjoys Walkin'?
Yes, Walkin' is another fantastic one.

Get Birth Of The Cool (comp. album from 1957 of recordings with a 10/11 piece in 1949 & 1950 which marked a revolution in jazz), Miles Ahead, Cookin'/Relaxin'/Workin'/Steamin' With The Miles Davis Quintet (all recorded in 1956 but released in separate years, stellar work as it includes Coltrane), Milestones, George Gershwin's Porgy And Bess, and Ascenseur pour l'échafaud Original Soundtrack. I'll lastly add Blue Moods, I've only heard it once and I didn't "really" like it but it was a while ago. It's got Charles Mingus on bass.

You can't go wrong with any album really, it's all jazz and it's under Miles' name so you can say to yourself "how bad can it be?" and still end up enjoying it. :lol Lemme know what ya think.

Tangentially related to jazz cool story bro:

Me and a friend have put together 'Kind of Blue on the Col-Train Tracks,' which is, as the name (terribly) suggests, Kind of Blue, Blood on the Tracks and Blue Train all put together and alternating tracks, and is the BEST PLAYLIST EVER. We're saving it for the last night of exams, and instead of going on a massive bender like most of our year we're gonna sit with coffee and some beers and probably just contentedly go 'aaaaaaaaah,' as the jazz owns our souls.

It's fun being middle aged men before our time.  :lol

Oh boy that would be a riveting listen for sure.

I'm in the middle of getting another Wes Monty album. The only one I have is the fantastic "The Incredible Jazz Guitar Of Wes Montgomery". I was introduced to Wes by my teacher.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #283 on: May 16, 2011, 05:58:27 PM »
SMOKIN AT THE HALF NOTE SPNKr, JUST DO IT.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #284 on: May 16, 2011, 06:05:03 PM »
^ Cheers for doing my name its justice, but I can't get anything of his as I'm stuck with TORRENTS THAT DON'T WANT TO WORK.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #285 on: May 16, 2011, 06:12:54 PM »
BLOW UP THE INTERNET

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #286 on: May 16, 2011, 06:21:56 PM »
MUAHAHAHA THE END OF THE WORLD HAS COME WAY BEFORE 2012.

Guys, I have Coltrane's Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings and Miles Davis In Stockholm 1960 Complete. Wanna fight me? You may as well because I didn't buy them.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #287 on: May 16, 2011, 07:28:10 PM »
SMOKIN AT THE HALF NOTE SPNKr, JUST DO IT.

I dug deeper and remarkably it's on its way. :millahhhh :millahhhh

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #288 on: May 16, 2011, 09:26:06 PM »
Awesome! let us (well, probably just me :lol) know what you think.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #289 on: May 16, 2011, 09:28:27 PM »
OK guys, I want to take the dive into Jazz music, the only album I've ever heard is Kind of Blue and that was once several years ago.

So, other than listening to that one again, what are some other Jazz essentials that I should get into?
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #290 on: May 16, 2011, 09:37:32 PM »
Awesome! let us (well, probably just me :lol) know what you think.

I "just" chucked it on. :tup

OK guys, I want to take the dive into Jazz music, the only album I've ever heard is Kind of Blue and that was once several years ago.

So, other than listening to that one again, what are some other Jazz essentials that I should get into?

Shit. Well you can easily get into John Coltrane's Blue Train, Dave Brubeck's Time Out (maybe more suitable for newbies), or try Coltrane Jazz as I've seen well received responses on that one - a bit of an all rounder too - and maybe go for some bigger band which in turn's a bit bigger in sound like Charles Mingus' Mingus Ah Um.

Some easier on the ears stuff would be the ballad side to jazz, slow and more bluesy/smooth. Again by Coltrane, Settin' The Pace, Black Pearls, and Ballads.
Jazz Blues styles would be Kenny Burrell, and so far I really dig Midnight Blue. It features a conga player as well.

edit: re-listen to Kind Of Blue :P

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #291 on: May 16, 2011, 09:41:15 PM »
Check out Moanin' by Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers for some great hard bop. It's a pretty universally loved record; very easy to get  into. 

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #292 on: May 16, 2011, 09:54:05 PM »
^ I'm missing that one. Thanks for mentioning!

I also forgot to post anything by Miles Davis for Quads. There's Cookin', Relaxin', Workin', and Steamin' With The Miles Davis Quintet. They're a series, so try one of em. You won't be disappointed.

Basically with jazz you can start anywhere and no one will tell you you're listening to the wrong stuff. :tup

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #293 on: May 16, 2011, 10:00:19 PM »
I've gotta check out those Miles records.

NO WAIT I NEED TO LISTEN TO ALL THE OTHER STUFF I JUST GOT FIRST. FUCK.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #294 on: May 16, 2011, 10:02:59 PM »
^ Yeah that's what happens sometimes :lol you look real forward to getting stuff on your "to get list" instead of listening to what you recently got.

Thanks for showing Wynton Kelly & Wes Monty, this is some reeeal good shit mang!

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #295 on: May 16, 2011, 10:16:09 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty fantastic.

Anyway, on the more contemporary side, I'm really digging Brad Mehldau. This is a really beautiful tune from his album, Largo, called "When it Rains" https://grooveshark.com/#/s/When+It+Rains/1W5jL2?src=5

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #296 on: May 17, 2011, 02:47:19 PM »
Any Robert Glasper fans?
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #297 on: May 17, 2011, 11:08:04 PM »
Hey goon, I listened to Moanin' last night and it is just fantastic. I can see that Miles Davis was influenced by the title track using (I think) that same chord but up a key for So What. The head/melody is structured the same way as well, it was interesting.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #298 on: May 21, 2011, 11:41:49 AM »
Whoever suggested The Way Up by Pat Metheny a few pages back, thank you so much.

And I'm checking out Esbjorn Svensson Trio right now, some great stuff!

Offline jsem

« Reply #299 on: May 21, 2011, 12:55:28 PM »
Whoever suggested The Way Up by Pat Metheny a few pages back, thank you so much.

EST is one of the best groups ever.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #300 on: May 21, 2011, 01:06:12 PM »
Any album in particular your favorite? I just finished listening to Seven Days of Falling and I loved it. I definitely prefer more modern jazz to the classic stuff.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #301 on: May 22, 2011, 03:50:34 AM »

And that's not the only good thing Pat Metheny has done ;)

Right now I'm listening to the Walkin' album by the Miles Davis All Stars. Great shit.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #302 on: May 22, 2011, 10:16:26 AM »

i feel like it was me, but i dont have time to look it up.

TWU is a great album though

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #303 on: May 22, 2011, 10:23:55 AM »
Late to this thread. Been listenin to a lotta Miles lately......also been diggin Thelonious Monk too, man I love him.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #304 on: May 23, 2011, 03:53:28 AM »
^ You're on the right track. ;)

Offline jsem

« Reply #305 on: May 23, 2011, 01:59:20 PM »
Winter in Venice is a good album to start, and so is From Gagarin's Point of View.

Pretty much can't go wrong with any of their albums.

Offline Iarwain

« Reply #306 on: May 24, 2011, 05:53:36 PM »
Been listening to Sun Ra today. I think there's a chance that he was really from Saturn.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #307 on: May 25, 2011, 04:56:36 AM »
^ He's bloody impressive and amazing. All I have is Lanquidity and it's mind blowing.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #308 on: May 25, 2011, 02:22:35 PM »
Horace Silver is awesome too, we played a lot of his stuff in the jazz lab band at school.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #309 on: May 25, 2011, 05:11:56 PM »
^ Song For My Father :heart

I've recently been collecting Ornette Coleman, Miles, Coltrane, and also Pat Metheny. I haven't stopped because I can't get enough. :laugh:

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #310 on: May 26, 2011, 01:52:16 PM »
hahaha fuck yeah man!

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #311 on: June 10, 2011, 04:47:47 PM »
Man, nothing beats a nice cup of coffee and some downtempo jazz to relax after a hard week, noir cliches be damned.

Bohren & Der Club of Gore aren't technically jazz, but they're perfect for this kind of thing also.

Checked out Headhunters yesterday and loved it, but it really seems like more of a funk than a jazz album to me. Also listened to Mingus' The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady and was blown away. ALSO also listened to John Zorn's Naked City, which is kind of jazzy and really fun too.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #312 on: June 10, 2011, 08:21:02 PM »
Man, nothing beats a nice cup of coffee and some downtempo jazz to relax after a hard week, noir cliches be damned.

Bohren & Der Club of Gore aren't technically jazz, but they're perfect for this kind of thing also.

Checked out Headhunters yesterday and loved it, but it really seems like more of a funk than a jazz album to me. Also listened to Mingus' The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady and was blown away. ALSO also listened to John Zorn's Naked City, which is kind of jazzy and really fun too.

I LOVE that Naked City record. The musicianship on that is insane! That was my gateway to all things John Zorn and beyond.  I've got multiple records from everyone who played on that (In the case of Bill Frisell dozens) with the exception of maybe Yamatsuka Eye.

And although the cover could be interpreted as misleading at first glance, it totally fits the music.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #313 on: June 11, 2011, 12:13:58 PM »
Yeah, I'm really digging it so far.

Bill Evans Trio's 'Waltz For Debby' is really nice. I can really hear his playing in Kind of Blue coming out more clearly here.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #314 on: June 12, 2011, 02:00:06 AM »
I've got Naked City's Torture Garden. Only heard it once, but I remember it being insane and fun. Now about Headhunters, yes that is because the majority of it actually "is" Jazz-Funk :lol so it's all good anyway. Every now and then I bust out that Chameleon riff on my bass and it's always fun. Especially in class where everyone kicks into its groove.

Now I'll check out that Bill Evans Trio album because you like it so.