Author Topic: The Jazz Thread  (Read 114287 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: The Jazz Thread
« Reply #245 on: March 28, 2011, 07:03:58 PM »
^^^ as much as Bitches Brew is an anomaly, Big Fun is maybe the closest thing to BB's style, though i think BF has its own sound going on, and is even more psychedelic and funky

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #246 on: March 28, 2011, 09:06:43 PM »
Celebration for reaching 8 pages? More jazz will be heard, of course!

I just bought Herbie Hancock's My Point Of View. $8 and features Grachan Moncur III on trombone with Grant Green on guitar. Haven't heard it but I cannot wait!

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #247 on: March 28, 2011, 11:51:52 PM »
Miles was never one to stick around to one style for very long. BB is an anomaly in Miles' discography, but a great one at that.
I've started to realise this over time. The stuff surrounding it is still amazing, but considering it's my one of my five favourite albums, I was hoping to find more music a bit closer to it.

^^^ as much as Bitches Brew is an anomaly, Big Fun is maybe the closest thing to BB's style, though i think BF has its own sound going on, and is even more psychedelic and funky
When it comes to all of those later Miles fusion albums on which he was releasing further material from earlier sessions (Big Fun, Get Up With It, Water Babies, Circle in the Round, Directions), I'm just going to buy the Sessions box sets. That way, I can discover all of the music within the context of the sessions it was written in, and if I want to assemble those albums, I can do that later using the tracks from the sessions. After all, I just looked up the Big Fun track listing, and quite a large amount of it (all but Ife and Go Ahead John) is taken from the Bitches Brew Sessions, which explains it sounding quite a bit like BB.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #248 on: March 29, 2011, 04:45:23 AM »
I didn't mention I couldn't find Mwandishi at the store today. Oh well. That place sucks. They have essential stuff but then I have all the stuff I need and they don't have the stuff I want. Not even Jackie McLean's Destination... Out!

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #249 on: March 29, 2011, 06:13:49 AM »
I've had the luck that these last few years, while I've been really digging into jazz, I've had stores near me that keep it well-stocked. Last year not quite as much, had to shop around a little bit, but there's an amazing music store here in Bonn, one of the better ones I've ever seen, and it has a five or six metre long jazz section downstairs. The large percentage of the classic albums are there somewhere. I've never gone looking for an album there and not found it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #250 on: March 29, 2011, 03:40:37 PM »
I pull out Brubeck's Take Five about once a year and keep hoping I get what other people seem to get out of it. I realize the distinction of it being landmark album and I respect that, but I just haven't been able to get much of anything else out of it consistantly.
The song or the Time Out album?

The whole album. I should probably pull out Time Out again and see what's not clicking.

I had Agharta (Miles) on the other day and wonder why I don't listen to it more. I just sat there and took it all in. Miles circa 1968 to 1975 has long been my favorite era of his work.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #251 on: March 29, 2011, 11:04:57 PM »
I've had the luck that these last few years, while I've been really digging into jazz, I've had stores near me that keep it well-stocked. Last year not quite as much, had to shop around a little bit, but there's an amazing music store here in Bonn, one of the better ones I've ever seen, and it has a five or six metre long jazz section downstairs. The large percentage of the classic albums are there somewhere. I've never gone looking for an album there and not found it.

Ohh lucky you. :)

I pull out Brubeck's Take Five about once a year and keep hoping I get what other people seem to get out of it. I realize the distinction of it being landmark album and I respect that, but I just haven't been able to get much of anything else out of it consistantly.
The song or the Time Out album?

The whole album. I should probably pull out Time Out again and see what's not clicking.

I had Agharta (Miles) on the other day and wonder why I don't listen to it more. I just sat there and took it all in. Miles circa 1968 to 1975 has long been my favorite era of his work.

I'm convinced Time Out is one of the best jazz albums ever, at least one of my favourites ever. And yeah, Davis' work from 68 onwards is maybe just as good as his classic jazz era. I don't know how he did it, but no matter how much he changed, he still put out solid material.

edit: I found Mwandishi through secondary/extraordinary means ;) and I'm looking forward to hearing it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 03:18:52 AM by SPNKr »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #252 on: March 30, 2011, 10:22:14 AM »

When it comes to all of those later Miles fusion albums on which he was releasing further material from earlier sessions (Big Fun, Get Up With It, Water Babies, Circle in the Round, Directions), I'm just going to buy the Sessions box sets. That way, I can discover all of the music within the context of the sessions it was written in, and if I want to assemble those albums, I can do that later using the tracks from the sessions. After all, I just looked up the Big Fun track listing, and quite a large amount of it (all but Ife and Go Ahead John) is taken from the Bitches Brew Sessions, which explains it sounding quite a bit like BB.

What you said is very true. However, I dont know how much you care, but (for example) the version of Great Expectations on Big Fun is different than the one on the Complete BB Sessions. I dont know about every song on the other albums, but I know most of the Big Fun songs are almost exclusive to that album and the Complete BB Sessions has different takes (besides Ife and Go Ahead John, but then Ife is different than on the On The Corner Sessions)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #253 on: March 30, 2011, 06:19:01 PM »
Soo. Any Soft Machine fans here? Third is one of my favourite albums ever. :)

Offline jsem

« Reply #254 on: March 31, 2011, 08:01:19 AM »
Elton Dean is one of my alto idols

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #255 on: March 31, 2011, 09:34:08 AM »
I just had to get this out; this is my favorite drummer, Bernard Purdie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FX_84iWPLU&feature=related

Not only is he technically good, but he has so much fun and soul in his playing. Just listen to him talking as hes playing :hat
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #256 on: March 31, 2011, 09:35:41 AM »
Elton Dean is one of my alto idols
Yeah, he's awesome. :biggrin:

Offline jsem

« Reply #257 on: March 31, 2011, 09:59:19 AM »
I just had to get this out; this is my favorite drummer, Bernard Purdie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FX_84iWPLU&feature=related

Not only is he technically good, but he has so much fun and soul in his playing. Just listen to him talking as hes playing :hat
Steely Dan is awesome. Love Aja.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #258 on: March 31, 2011, 04:56:33 PM »
Finally listening to Mwandishi. That bass on Ostinato (Suite For Angela) is very tasty. What an album!

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #259 on: April 06, 2011, 03:14:11 AM »
I'm now moving onto My Favorite Things with my teacher tomorrow morning. Cannot wait to learn that song, it's freakin' kick arse.

Offline jsem

« Reply #260 on: April 06, 2011, 05:12:27 AM »
I'm now moving onto My Favorite Things with my teacher tomorrow morning. Cannot wait to learn that song, it's freakin' kick arse.
It's one of my favorite tunes of all time. I played the crap out of it on the sax for about half a year lol.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #261 on: April 06, 2011, 12:05:21 PM »
hey Jazz fans, a brand new site just opened up

https://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/ the ultimate jazz music online community

it's still in its infant stage, but it's a fun site already. Ive been there a few weeks updating the site and such. Come by, join and have fun!  :tup

Offline jsem

« Reply #262 on: April 07, 2011, 11:44:18 AM »
Great site.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #263 on: April 07, 2011, 12:58:48 PM »
Pat Metheny is touring the US in October :D

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #264 on: April 07, 2011, 06:06:18 PM »
^I live in Australia. Fuck.

Anyone have Herbie Hancock's Head Hunters? I think it's pretty good. Also I was finally able to grab Pat Metheny Group. Great shit.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #265 on: April 07, 2011, 07:19:34 PM »
Pat Metheny is touring the US in October :D

Thank you for this announcement because I had no idea. What format?
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #266 on: April 14, 2011, 04:12:33 AM »
So I assume you all know of mrjazzguitar, he makes amazing music and his new album is out!

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=22129.0
Links to his website and where to purchase the album are in that thread.
I bought it directly from him and he's personally shipping it tomorrow. I feel special :laugh: and I really can't wait to hear The Desert And The City.

Right now I'm relistening to Herbie Hancock's Mwandishi and it's actually the second time in a row today. It's that good! I have only Fluffy to thank.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #267 on: April 15, 2011, 03:37:59 PM »
When it comes to all of those later Miles fusion albums on which he was releasing further material from earlier sessions (Big Fun, Get Up With It, Water Babies, Circle in the Round, Directions), I'm just going to buy the Sessions box sets. That way, I can discover all of the music within the context of the sessions it was written in, and if I want to assemble those albums, I can do that later using the tracks from the sessions.

Excellent decision! :)

I really love those 60s Miles Davis box sets, all of them!
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #268 on: April 17, 2011, 04:47:01 AM »
Anyone have Herbie Hancock's Head Hunters?
Head Hunters has possibly risen to the status of my favourite Hancock album. Which is something of an achievement, as Empyrean Isles was already one of my favourite jazz albums overall.

Right now I'm relistening to Herbie Hancock's Mwandishi and it's actually the second time in a row today. It's that good! I have only Fluffy to thank.
That album is mighty juicy.

I haven't been listening to too much music recently, but my hot jazz albums have been Milestones, A Tribute to Jack Johnson, Karma, and A Handful of Beauty

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #269 on: April 17, 2011, 06:00:16 AM »
I absolutely love the 3 Hancocks! Well I'm still missing Milestones, Tribute To JJ, and A Handful Of Beauty.
Karma, like I've said before, is an absolutely marvellous album. I've heard it enough to call it one of my favourites and it's a very different kind of jazz.

I've still got So What in my head man. :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #270 on: April 17, 2011, 07:09:59 AM »
Headhunters is great. The cover scares me though. :lol

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #271 on: April 18, 2011, 04:25:16 AM »
^ Yep it's an awkward or odd cover. I think the post-psychedelic and new funk scene of the time had to do with it though. It couldn't have looked much different. I like it for what it is though heh.

I must hear Bitches Brew and A Tribute To Jack Johnson consecutively I think. Will be a long and awesome listening session.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #272 on: April 21, 2011, 12:25:16 PM »
Soo. Any Soft Machine fans here? Third is one of my favourite albums ever. :)

Yes, great album.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #273 on: April 21, 2011, 01:24:43 PM »
Recently picked up John Coltrane's A Love Supreme on vinyl. I was listening to it while on DTF, and I had to just sit back after the first few minutes.

it took over me.

Offline jsem

« Reply #274 on: April 21, 2011, 01:29:35 PM »
Recently picked up John Coltrane's A Love Supreme on vinyl. I was listening to it while on DTF, and I had to just sit back after the first few minutes.

it took over me.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #275 on: May 14, 2011, 12:45:01 AM »
Wes Montgomery's "Smokin' at the Half Note" with the Wynton Kelly Trio is excellent. Montgomery and Kelly make such a great pair.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #276 on: May 14, 2011, 09:28:41 AM »
I'd like to pitch in my two bits (as a budding jazz listener), and say, right here; Walkin' is an excellent album!  The title track alone makes it worth a purchase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbpqeevkhm0

I would like to ask, as someone only really familiar with his material, aside from Walkin', from 63-69 (+Kind of Blue/Sketches of Spain), what would you say from Davis's pre-59 work would be most appealing to someone who really enjoys Walkin'?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #277 on: May 14, 2011, 10:48:17 AM »
I'd like to pitch in my two bits (as a budding jazz listener), and say, right here; Walkin' is an excellent album!  The title track alone makes it worth a purchase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbpqeevkhm0

I would like to ask, as someone only really familiar with his material, aside from Walkin', from 63-69 (+Kind of Blue/Sketches of Spain), what would you say from Davis's pre-59 work would be most appealing to someone who really enjoys Walkin'?

"Cookin'", Relaxin'", or "Steamin'"

...seriously

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #278 on: May 14, 2011, 10:51:55 AM »

it took over me.
It's awesome, but personally I think Blue Train is even better. Just jazz perfection!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #279 on: May 14, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
EVERYONE GO LISTEN TO THAT WES MONTGOMERY ALBUM