Author Topic: The Jazz Thread  (Read 108570 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: The Jazz Thread
« Reply #910 on: August 07, 2021, 10:51:15 PM »
One of the more often overlooked jazz artists is guitarist Emily Remler, who had a unique tone and exquisite phrasing.  It's a shame that her substance abuse issues got the best of her at far too young an age. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXvy-EdbgD0

Offline Skeever

« Reply #911 on: August 31, 2021, 07:12:32 AM »
Played my first "jazz" gig last week. I think I did alright! There 3 three horns, a drummer, and a bassist, as well as a keyboard, so not really a high pressure situation on guitar. If I didn't know a tune or the changes, I just kind of colored the song a bit with some texture stuff, but even if I did, I tended to stay out of the keyboard's way.

I think my weakness was really the times I took a chorus on anything other than a blues, though. When I keep up with the changes, I still struggle with coming up with some kind of idea for how what I'm going for.

Anyone who could share some of their favorite jazz guitar players, feel free! I could use some ideas for sure  :biggrin:

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #912 on: September 08, 2021, 12:50:03 AM »
That's awesome! Jazz is one of my weaknesses as a drummer, love to play it but I don't have the flow around the kit that I would like too. I need to do more live gigs.
I have a constant nightmare to accept a gig without knowing it's a bigband and showing up with 30 people excepting you to nail every hit in the music while dancing around the kit like Buddy Rich.  :| :D

I was thinking of who I know of the modern jazz guitarists today and realised I don't know of many at all.
I found this list of known guitarist today. Maybe you could find some inspiration there.

Peter Bernstein

Recommended Peter Bernstein album: Signs of Life
Pasquale Grasso
Recommended Pasquale Grasso album: Solo Standards Vol 1
Mary Halvorson
Recommended Mary Halvorson album: The Anthony Braxton Project
Gilad Hekselman
Recommended Gilad Hekselman album: Homes
Julian Lage
Recommended Julian Lage album: Love Hurts
Jaume Llombart
Recommended Jaume Llombart album: Solo
Lionel Loueke
Recommend Lionel Loueke album: Karibu
Lage Lund
Recommended Lage Lund album: Terrible Animals
Kurt Rosenwinkel
Recommended Kurt Rosenwinkel album: Reflections
Jesse Van Ruller
Recommended Jesse Van Ruller album: Here And There

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline darkshade

« Reply #913 on: September 24, 2021, 06:12:06 AM »
New Miles Davis album, "The Lost Concert" released today, the 30th anniversary of his death, is a rare performance of Miles playing newer and older tunes, featuring Kenny Garrett, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, John McLaughlin, Dave Holland, John Scofield, Joe Zawinul, and more.

https://www.mnprmagazine.com/news/miles-davis-the-lost-concert-double-cd-30th-anniversary-edition-completes-lost-trilogy/

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #914 on: October 01, 2021, 11:48:35 AM »
Some tasty funky in the pocket drummin with Stanley Randolph and a killer band. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raja1uKoZHc&ab_channel=VicFirth

That vocalist is doing something to me, her voice just pierce my soul.  :heart
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline romdrums

« Reply #915 on: October 01, 2021, 12:07:22 PM »
Some tasty funky in the pocket drummin with Stanley Randolph and a killer band. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raja1uKoZHc&ab_channel=VicFirth

That vocalist is doing something to me, her voice just pierce my soul.  :heart

That is one of the funkiest jams I've heard lately. :hat
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #916 on: October 03, 2021, 01:20:40 PM »
Satan's trousers. Amazing!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #917 on: October 10, 2021, 10:09:55 AM »
Just saw this cool article on Bandcamp, showcasing some great bands combining jazz and metal.

https://daily.bandcamp.com/lists/jazz-metal-list

I've listened to some of these bands but most I haven't. I've made a Spotify playist of all the albums discussed (bar one) and will share my thoughts I suppose.

I'm hardly a jazz guy but I do like jazz influences  :millahhhh

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #918 on: October 10, 2021, 10:50:31 AM »
that Titans to Tachyons album mentioned there is excellent, but from most samples of the other stuff I would hardly call anything 'Jazz'.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #919 on: October 16, 2021, 04:45:53 PM »
New Miles Davis album, "The Lost Concert" released today, the 30th anniversary of his death, is a rare performance of Miles playing newer and older tunes, featuring Kenny Garrett, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, John McLaughlin, Dave Holland, John Scofield, Joe Zawinul, and more.

https://www.mnprmagazine.com/news/miles-davis-the-lost-concert-double-cd-30th-anniversary-edition-completes-lost-trilogy/

Thanks! Going to have to check this one out.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #920 on: July 23, 2022, 04:41:12 AM »
This is probably the coolest arrangement of this tune I've heard, and Sara is easily my favorite jazz vocalist.  Christian Euman is also one of the best newer drummers in the scene. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HVKrZ8mfDY
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 05:07:43 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Skeever

« Reply #921 on: August 22, 2022, 01:47:13 PM »
Been reading Miles Davis' autobiography. It's quite colorful  :lol

Offline majo

« Reply #922 on: August 22, 2022, 02:28:51 PM »
This is probably the coolest arrangement of this tune I've heard, and Sara is easily my favorite jazz vocalist.  Christian Euman is also one of the best newer drummers in the scene. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HVKrZ8mfDY

yep. she's amazing...
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #923 on: August 22, 2022, 03:38:45 PM »
Been reading Miles Davis' autobiography. It's quite colorful  :lol

Indeed.  Not many people can shift the direction of an entire genre multiple times over their lifetime.  Good thing too that his legacy is already cemented.  I don't know how much of what he says and does is fictionalized/dramatized, but some of it definitely wouldn't play well in current times. 

Offline Skeever

« Reply #924 on: August 24, 2022, 01:37:03 PM »
Really loving Christian Scott lately.
Not sure others are cued in to his stuff.

On a not-unrelated note, between exploring Miles and reading his book, I've felt a real draw to start learning Trumpet recently. I'm really thinking of pulling the trigger on a Yamaha, and setting up lessons for myself. This would be a brand new hobby, and as a 35 year old with a kid and too many hobbies already, worthy of serious evaluation before I drop like $2g on a student horn and a few months of lessons. But I also feel really excited about it, starting something completely new to me (which is not something I've really thought about for myself in a long, long time).

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #925 on: August 24, 2022, 02:26:47 PM »
You could also get a trumpet for a lot less than that just to try it out. Maybe you could even rent one. That's how I got my sax initially, before I (or actually my parents) bought it. By all means, do it; learning a new instrument is tons of fun.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #926 on: August 24, 2022, 02:48:27 PM »
That's the one major category of instrument I haven't gotten into at all yet (brass).  Personally I'm not that crazy about solo trumpet.  It's a little shrill and piercing at times for me, I prefer them in ensembles, or a bit mellower related sound like a flugelhorn.  That said, if you're into the sound and it's not going to set you back too much, it's never too late. 

Offline Skeever

« Reply #927 on: August 25, 2022, 05:10:17 AM »
Oddly, I struggled to enjoy Trumpet a lot when I was first getting into jazz. I especially found Miles' muted Trumpet to around a bit shrill and abrasive. At some point something changed, and it became my favorite thing.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #928 on: October 14, 2022, 03:59:24 AM »
Stumbled over this recently:

Krokofant - Fifth

Very tasty jazz/prog/fusion. They have several earlier albums with less members that also sound great too.

https://open.spotify.com/album/3WH2Ot7J6cUNj4N2g8Qkd9?si=4uyFSpHDSni-J5xHhGST-g&utm_source=whatsapp
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #929 on: March 02, 2023, 12:31:15 PM »

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #930 on: October 13, 2023, 12:22:29 PM »
Currently listening to this cool band I discovered call Fuubutsushi; they are apparently modern ambient jazz.

This is taken from an album review I found. It's relevant as it explains the bands name, but they also released 4 albums recently, one for each season.

Seasons change in the mind and the body before they change in the world. Anyone who has felt spring bloom in their hearts on the first false day of sunshine, or been transported to autumns past by the crunch of a stray brown leaf on a late-summer afternoon, knows that climatological reality is not always in sync with our perception of how things should be. The Japanese word “fuubutsushi” refers to this gap, capturing the feeling of longing for a new season at the first signs of its emergence. After months of life looking like one thing, fuubutsushi marks the moment when you believe it may begin to look like something else.

I've just listened through the spring/summer albums over dinner with my wife and kid, and will continue through autumn/winter this evening. Really nice easy listening music, which can't help but evoke images of rural Japan in my mind. Anyone heard them? If you're interested in their seasonal albums, here's a playlist of them all together...

https://spotify.link/RDGEvWaZRDb

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #931 on: October 14, 2023, 08:46:35 PM »
I'll try and check out their fall album pretty soon.

And not sure how I missed it at the time (probably busy with my roulette), but losing Shorter was a blow.  One of my favorite saxophonists. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 09:34:10 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »