Author Topic: The Jazz Thread  (Read 76751 times)

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• Placid Eruption
Re: The Jazz Thread
« Reply #910 on: August 07, 2021, 10:51:15 PM »
One of the more often overlooked jazz artists is guitarist Emily Remler, who had a unique tone and exquisite phrasing.  It's a shame that her substance abuse issues got the best of her at far too young an age. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXvy-EdbgD0
“Music washes away the dust of every day life.”  Art Blakey.

Offline Skeever

• PR permission
« Reply #911 on: August 31, 2021, 07:12:32 AM »
Played my first "jazz" gig last week. I think I did alright! There 3 three horns, a drummer, and a bassist, as well as a keyboard, so not really a high pressure situation on guitar. If I didn't know a tune or the changes, I just kind of colored the song a bit with some texture stuff, but even if I did, I tended to stay out of the keyboard's way.

I think my weakness was really the times I took a chorus on anything other than a blues, though. When I keep up with the changes, I still struggle with coming up with some kind of idea for how what I'm going for.

Anyone who could share some of their favorite jazz guitar players, feel free! I could use some ideas for sure  :biggrin:

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #912 on: September 08, 2021, 12:50:03 AM »
That's awesome! Jazz is one of my weaknesses as a drummer, love to play it but I don't have the flow around the kit that I would like too. I need to do more live gigs.
I have a constant nightmare to accept a gig without knowing it's a bigband and showing up with 30 people excepting you to nail every hit in the music while dancing around the kit like Buddy Rich.  :| :D

I was thinking of who I know of the modern jazz guitarists today and realised I don't know of many at all.
I found this list of known guitarist today. Maybe you could find some inspiration there.

Peter Bernstein

Recommended Peter Bernstein album: Signs of Life
Pasquale Grasso
Recommended Pasquale Grasso album: Solo Standards Vol 1
Mary Halvorson
Recommended Mary Halvorson album: The Anthony Braxton Project
Gilad Hekselman
Recommended Gilad Hekselman album: Homes
Julian Lage
Recommended Julian Lage album: Love Hurts
Jaume Llombart
Recommended Jaume Llombart album: Solo
Lionel Loueke
Recommend Lionel Loueke album: Karibu
Lage Lund
Recommended Lage Lund album: Terrible Animals
Kurt Rosenwinkel
Recommended Kurt Rosenwinkel album: Reflections
Jesse Van Ruller
Recommended Jesse Van Ruller album: Here And There

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline darkshade

« Reply #913 on: September 24, 2021, 06:12:06 AM »
New Miles Davis album, "The Lost Concert" released today, the 30th anniversary of his death, is a rare performance of Miles playing newer and older tunes, featuring Kenny Garrett, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, John McLaughlin, Dave Holland, John Scofield, Joe Zawinul, and more.

https://www.mnprmagazine.com/news/miles-davis-the-lost-concert-double-cd-30th-anniversary-edition-completes-lost-trilogy/

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #914 on: October 01, 2021, 11:48:35 AM »
Some tasty funky in the pocket drummin with Stanley Randolph and a killer band. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raja1uKoZHc&ab_channel=VicFirth

That vocalist is doing something to me, her voice just pierce my soul.  :heart
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline romdrums

• Sooner or later, everyone pays the Piper!
« Reply #915 on: October 01, 2021, 12:07:22 PM »
Some tasty funky in the pocket drummin with Stanley Randolph and a killer band. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raja1uKoZHc&ab_channel=VicFirth

That vocalist is doing something to me, her voice just pierce my soul.  :heart

That is one of the funkiest jams I've heard lately. :hat
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #916 on: October 03, 2021, 01:20:40 PM »
Satan's trousers. Amazing!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
    • My Last.fm Profile......finally
« Reply #917 on: October 10, 2021, 10:09:55 AM »
Just saw this cool article on Bandcamp, showcasing some great bands combining jazz and metal.

https://daily.bandcamp.com/lists/jazz-metal-list

I've listened to some of these bands but most I haven't. I've made a Spotify playist of all the albums discussed (bar one) and will share my thoughts I suppose.

I'm hardly a jazz guy but I do like jazz influences  :millahhhh

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
    • Overhaul
« Reply #918 on: October 10, 2021, 10:50:31 AM »
that Titans to Tachyons album mentioned there is excellent, but from most samples of the other stuff I would hardly call anything 'Jazz'.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #919 on: October 16, 2021, 04:45:53 PM »
New Miles Davis album, "The Lost Concert" released today, the 30th anniversary of his death, is a rare performance of Miles playing newer and older tunes, featuring Kenny Garrett, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, John McLaughlin, Dave Holland, John Scofield, Joe Zawinul, and more.

https://www.mnprmagazine.com/news/miles-davis-the-lost-concert-double-cd-30th-anniversary-edition-completes-lost-trilogy/

Thanks! Going to have to check this one out.