Author Topic: The Jazz Thread  (Read 108572 times)

Offline pcs90

Re: The Jazz Thread
« Reply #875 on: March 11, 2019, 01:42:29 PM »
Oz Noy's "Chocolate Souffle"

Holy polyrythm! That guitar riff/line is just out of this world. It's just floats there independently from everything.  :lol That guitar solo is so tasty though.

Love that loose lazy feel to the main guitar melody.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #876 on: March 16, 2019, 07:38:27 AM »

Holy polyrythm! That guitar riff/line is just out of this world. It's just floats there independently from everything.  :lol That guitar solo is so tasty though.

Love that loose lazy feel to the main guitar melody.
Yea it's really wicked, it just throws you off but at the same time I can't stop listening to it. With Vinnies soft and steady jazz groove under it just works so great. Love the part when Vinnes starts playing on all 4 beats under the bass solo, it's so calming.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #877 on: March 19, 2019, 08:20:41 PM »

Well that got my attention. Thanks for posting that.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #878 on: March 26, 2019, 03:05:06 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuKJkghC2u0

This is hilarious. Comedian who can't play piano hires a jazz band and records an album with them.

That is really funny! :)

Offline bill1971

« Reply #879 on: April 24, 2019, 02:34:27 PM »
So after getting my feet wet with jazz over the last year or so I bought these albums. Really enjoy them all. This thread has been a bit quiet lately but wanted to chime in.

Lee Morgan Sidewinder
Ahmad Jamal...Perishing
Miles Davis...Kind of Blue
Art Blakely and Messengers  Moanin
Coultrane...Love Supreme
Mingus...Black Saint and .Blue Root
Monk...Corners
Dave Brubek...timeout

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #880 on: April 24, 2019, 02:49:50 PM »
If you are into more contemporary stuff as well, I recommend this young band from Chicago called Cordoba - I discovered them a few days ago, and really enjoying their music. (Some of their songs also have elements of progressive/psychedelic rock.)

Last month, the band set up a crowdfunding campaign in order to finance their first LP and some videos. I just contributed, and they are now at 71% of their goal. :) Pretty sweet, but they only have two more weeks to come up with the rest. So, I figured I'd help them spreading the word as well.

So, if you can, please check out and/or share the following link: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/outcry--4#/

Their website is http://cordobaband.com/

Offline bill1971

« Reply #881 on: April 24, 2019, 02:54:47 PM »
If you are into more contemporary stuff as well, I recommend this young band from Chicago called Cordoba - I discovered them a few days ago, and really enjoying their music. (Some of their songs also have elements of progressive/psychedelic rock.)

Last month, the band set up a crowdfunding campaign in order to finance their first LP and some videos. I just contributed, and they are now at 71% of their goal. :) Pretty sweet, but they only have two more weeks to come up with the rest. So, I figured I'd help them spreading the word as well.

So, if you can, please check out and/or share the following link: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/outcry--4#/

Their website is http://cordobaband.com/

Looking at my taste so far I think I don't even get into any albums from the 70's

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #882 on: April 28, 2019, 12:35:10 PM »
So after getting my feet wet with jazz over the last year or so I bought these albums. Really enjoy them all. This thread has been a bit quiet lately but wanted to chime in.

Lee Morgan Sidewinder
Ahmad Jamal...Perishing
Miles Davis...Kind of Blue
Art Blakely and Messengers  Moanin
Coultrane...Love Supreme
Mingus...Black Saint and .Blue Root
Monk...Corners
Dave Brubek...timeout

Can't speak for the Lee Morgan, Jamal and Blakely, but I enjoy the other ones.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #883 on: September 12, 2019, 02:11:52 PM »
Larnell Lewis, such an amazing drummer. Here he's toying away in his solo spot, playing on anything. When's the last time you've seen someone play on the cymbal screws?  :lol

https://youtu.be/Jd1X5JWaGgQ?t=356
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bill1971

« Reply #884 on: October 18, 2019, 11:43:10 AM »
Larnell Lewis, such an amazing drummer. Here he's toying away in his solo spot, playing on anything. When's the last time you've seen someone play on the cymbal screws?  :lol

Great solo. Thank you!

I have been into Vijay Iyer the last two weeks since I saw them live. Amazing drummer Jeremy Dutton. Love their style of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYHf-hEz_-o

Offline pcs90

« Reply #885 on: December 28, 2019, 05:31:14 PM »

One of my favorite drummers of all time. Maybe my favorite. Such a large vocabulary along with the knowledge of when (and when not!) to use it. The dude is so creative and never stops experimenting and learning.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #886 on: January 04, 2020, 04:07:55 PM »

One of my favorite drummers of all time. Maybe my favorite. Such a large vocabulary along with the knowledge of when (and when not!) to use it. The dude is so creative and never stops experimenting and learning.

I definitely need to learn more. Thanks.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #887 on: January 04, 2020, 04:44:00 PM »

Yea he's really great, I know he started as a gospel drummer but he's not like every other of the 1000s gospelchops drummers out there, he's more than that. I think one of the best clips i've seen where you can see his range as a drummer is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BblThE8ZZIo

The roll he does att 2:00 that leads into the verse is so tasty and how he really brings down the volume.  :tup  That kit also sounds acoustically amazing btw.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #888 on: January 04, 2020, 10:44:47 PM »
Yea he's really great, I know he started as a gospel drummer but he's not like every other of the 1000s gospelchops drummers out there, he's more than that. I think one of the best clips i've seen where you can see his range as a drummer is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BblThE8ZZIo

The roll he does att 2:00 that leads into the verse is so tasty and how he really brings down the volume.  :tup  That kit also sounds acoustically amazing btw.

I have no idea how I missed that performance. Absolutely insane. That is a drumming masterclass.

And yes, those drums sound killer. I'm not really a fan of Zildjian, at least not the modern ones. But those drums, especially the snare, are perfectly tuned for this style.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #889 on: March 26, 2020, 02:03:03 PM »
Dave Weckl Band: "Big B Little B" LIVE 2019

Maybe not everyones cup of tea but I will always admire Dave's drumming and Tom Kennedy, love the basslines!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #890 on: March 27, 2020, 01:29:47 PM »
Dave Weckl Band: "Big B Little B" LIVE 2019

Maybe not everyones cup of tea but I will always admire Dave's drumming and Tom Kennedy, love the basslines!

Thanks.

Love Dave Weckl, but I haven't heard anything new by him on about 5 years.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #891 on: February 01, 2021, 02:02:20 PM »
What's on everyone's radar lately?

I've been going back and forth between ECM style jazz albums when not listening to other music.
But I'm starting to get that jazz-fusion itch, but I want to hear new stuff (or old stuff I've never heard.)
and I've heard most, if not all, the classics from the 70s, I think.

I've come to really appreciate jazz from the 80s/early 90s particularly jazz-fusion or anything that wasn't going backwards to the 50s/60s as a lot of players did in this time period. I would like to hear more stuff from that era, besides newer stuff.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • żDe qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #892 on: February 01, 2021, 03:51:33 PM »
I've been enjoying Tigran Hamasyan's work lately, in particular his last album.

« Reply #893 on: February 02, 2021, 01:13:22 PM »

I've been listening to Cordoba, a young band from Chicago, Illinois. I strongly recommend them. They fuse jazz with elements of other genres, such as hip-hop and punk. Last Halloween, they released their first LP, called Specter. They've also released three EPs.

Here's their website, with links to their Bandcamp and social media pages: https://cordobaband.com

Here's a video of them playing a song off their LP: https://youtu.be/iX-61Pqoy2c

I got to interview them last year; here's a link, in case you wish to watch: https://youtu.be/XTCqUBe7dG8

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #894 on: February 03, 2021, 08:01:01 AM »
Rest in Peace Davis Wilson, 84, Twin Cities Jazz Fanatic and Doorman/Emcee/Curator at 1 of my Favorite local Venues, THE ARTIST QUARTER, that sadly closed a few years ago, and since been bought-by and redone by another group.

http://jazzpolice.com/event/rip-we-were-always-pleased-and-flipped-to-be-with-davis-wilson?fbclid=IwAR2wsGwE2V65Yj8g4avpBe-5hu4rCpAnnIlSKeiRP8AebfjHQ9QVPQBJsK8

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #895 on: February 13, 2021, 04:52:11 PM »

I've been going back and forth between ECM style jazz albums when not listening to other music.
But I'm starting to get that jazz-fusion itch, but I want to hear new stuff (or old stuff I've never heard.)
and I've heard most, if not all, the classics from the 70s, I think.

I've come to really appreciate jazz from the 80s/early 90s particularly jazz-fusion or anything that wasn't going backwards to the 50s/60s as a lot of players did in this time period. I would like to hear more stuff from that era, besides newer stuff.

Haven't really been on a jazz-fusion kick lately. Still trying to play catch up with new releases. I think the last album I listened to was Stanley Jordan's Bolero.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #896 on: February 16, 2021, 10:32:43 AM »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #897 on: February 16, 2021, 04:59:25 PM »
Been listening to a lot of Chick Corea-related music lately.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #898 on: February 26, 2021, 05:10:54 AM »
Me too man!  :tup

I found this clip where he did harmonies live with an audience, kinda cool: Chick Corea Trio @Tchaikovsky Hall "Spain"

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #899 on: February 26, 2021, 03:05:57 PM »
I love playing Mallet instruments but i've never really ventured into jazz improv on Vibes, I would love to take the plunge one day and get into it. Anyway, watching someone like Gary Burton making it look so easy is a treat. He's so right that Mallet instruments are so visual to look at compared to other instruments, never really thought about it that way.

Gary Burton: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert

Offline darkshade

« Reply #900 on: February 27, 2021, 07:14:25 AM »
Chick Corea & Gary Burton - Crystal Silence
Chick Corea & Gary Burton - Duet
Chick Corea & Gary Burton - In Concert, Zürich, October 28, 1979
Chick Corea & Gary Burton - Lyric Suite For Sextet
Chick Corea & Gary Burton - The New Crystal Silence
Chick Corea & Gary Burton - Hot House
Gary Burton, Chick Corea, Pat Metheny, Dave Holland, Roy Haynes - Like Minds

All pretty great albums. Big fan of the Like Minds album. Great sunny afternoon album.

Speaking of which, Bill Connors was the guitarist on Hymn of The Seventh Galaxy, who was eventually replaced by Al Di Meloa on the next 3 albums.
When Connors left RTF, he put out 3 great albums on ECM in the 70s, two solo records Theme To The Guardian, and Swimming with a Hole in My Body, all very nice and chill solo guitar albums; and Of Mist and Melting, with Gary Peacock, Jan Garbarek, and Jack DeJohnette, which is a particular favorite of mine. Highly recommended album if you're looking for some dead-serious jazz.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #901 on: February 28, 2021, 01:45:08 PM »
Chick Corea & Gary Burton - Crystal Silence
Chick Corea & Gary Burton - Duet
Chick Corea & Gary Burton - In Concert, Zürich, October 28, 1979
Chick Corea & Gary Burton - Lyric Suite For Sextet
Chick Corea & Gary Burton - The New Crystal Silence
Chick Corea & Gary Burton - Hot House
Gary Burton, Chick Corea, Pat Metheny, Dave Holland, Roy Haynes - Like Minds

All pretty great albums. Big fan of the Like Minds album. Great sunny afternoon album.

Speaking of which, Bill Connors was the guitarist on Hymn of The Seventh Galaxy, who was eventually replaced by Al Di Meloa on the next 3 albums.
When Connors left RTF, he put out 3 great albums on ECM in the 70s, two solo records Theme To The Guardian, and Swimming with a Hole in My Body, all very nice and chill solo guitar albums; and Of Mist and Melting, with Gary Peacock, Jan Garbarek, and Jack DeJohnette, which is a particular favorite of mine. Highly recommended album if you're looking for some dead-serious jazz.

Only know of Conners' work with Return To Forever. Don't know about his solo work.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #902 on: April 04, 2021, 09:00:35 AM »
Bump for Charlie Hunter, been digging into his earlier albums lately. Nice latin-groove funky jazz.
and some other albums

Charlie Hunter Trio - Bing Bing Bing!
Charlie Hunter - Ready...Set...Shango!
Charlie Hunter - Natty Dread
Gary Burton - Tennessee Firebird (Jazz/country-fusion, predates jazz-rock/fusion)
John Scofield - Who's Who
Chick Corea - Trilogy
Steps Ahead - Steps Ahead (1983 album feat. Michael Brecker, Eddie Gomez, Peter Erskine, Elaine Elias)
Alex Skolnick Trio - Goodbye to Romance: Standards for a New Generation
Chick Corea - Voyage
Charlie Hunter - Return of the Candyman
Charlie Hunter - Duo
Stanton Moore - All Kooked Out
Marc Farina - Mushroom Jazz 8
Garage a Trois - Mysteryfunk
Charlie Hunter - Charlie Hunter
Terje Rypdal/David Darling - Eos
Stan Getz, Joăo Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto
Stanton Moore - Flyin' the Koop
Charlie Hunter - Songs from the Analog Playground
Charlie Hunter - Right Now Move
Charlie Hunter Trio - Friends Seen and Unseen
Charlie Hunter Trio - Copperopolis

« Reply #903 on: May 06, 2021, 02:03:52 PM »
I recently bought two Charles Mingus albums and a copy of The Essential Miles Davis.

So far, my favourite song on the compilation is "Nefertiti". At one point, one of the guys (I'm assuming it's Davis) starts playing the melody a little later - as if he was imitating the delay effect. Sounds awesome to me.

Anyone have any cool similar moments (RE: rhythm, tempo, time signatures) to recommend? From Davis or anyone else.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #904 on: May 06, 2021, 05:35:14 PM »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #905 on: May 07, 2021, 08:10:19 AM »
I recently bought two Charles Mingus albums and a copy of The Essential Miles Davis.

So far, my favourite song on the compilation is "Nefertiti". At one point, one of the guys (I'm assuming it's Davis) starts playing the melody a little later - as if he was imitating the delay effect. Sounds awesome to me.

Anyone have any cool similar moments (RE: rhythm, tempo, time signatures) to recommend? From Davis or anyone else.

All I can say is check out any Miles Davis album that was recorded between 1966-1975. He did all kinds of cool things like that.

« Reply #906 on: May 07, 2021, 12:05:50 PM »
All I can say is check out any Miles Davis album that was recorded between 1966-1975. He did all kinds of cool things like that.

Thanks! I'll see what I can find around here.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #907 on: May 08, 2021, 10:24:27 PM »

That right there is my Miles Davis wheelhouse. I like his work before and after that, but that's the era I really enjoy the most.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #908 on: May 09, 2021, 08:24:39 AM »

That right there is my Miles Davis wheelhouse. I like his work before and after that, but that's the era I really enjoy the most.

Same. So many great albums in that time period, but really it's all good. His work from the 50s through the 60s is legendary, of course, and I am a big fan of his 80s/90s work. But there's something intriguing about the 66-75 period, just genre-defying music everywhere.
It's amazing the progression his music took and how influential it is, and how modern it is, especially once you get into the 70s albums. The world is still trying to catch up to In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson, Live-Evil, On The Corner, Big Fun, Get Up With It, Dark Magus, Agharta, and Pangaea, and the 3rd 'Lost' Great Quintet albums. What is that music???

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #909 on: May 16, 2021, 03:30:01 PM »

Same. So many great albums in that time period, but really it's all good. His work from the 50s through the 60s is legendary, of course, and I am a big fan of his 80s/90s work. But there's something intriguing about the 66-75 period, just genre-defying music everywhere.
It's amazing the progression his music took and how influential it is, and how modern it is, especially once you get into the 70s albums. The world is still trying to catch up to In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson, Live-Evil, On The Corner, Big Fun, Get Up With It, Dark Magus, Agharta, and Pangaea, and the 3rd 'Lost' Great Quintet albums. What is that music???

I'm still like that sometimes too with that music.

The late '80s to early '90s studio work doesn't resonate with me so much as it seems to me that he was distracted by that point although there was some innovation going on there too.