Author Topic: The Jazz Thread  (Read 109699 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: The Jazz Thread
« Reply #840 on: April 30, 2016, 12:26:27 PM »
Loving their new album, as well as the Family Dinner disc they put out earlier this year. Probably the best current Jazz ensemble out there right now.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #841 on: May 14, 2016, 01:43:33 PM »
Dennis Chambers: Tipitinas - with Mike Stern - 2015

What happens at 4:15 is just insane, Dennis just totally freaks out but Mike and Kennedy just keeps on together like glue. Even me who calls myself a drummer have a hard time finding the beat.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #842 on: May 14, 2016, 02:03:37 PM »
New Fire! Orchestra is, of course, absolutely goddamn brilliant, though not quite as good as their last one.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #843 on: May 16, 2016, 05:55:39 PM »
Listening to one of Pat Metheny's newest albums "Cuong Vu Trio Meets Pat Metheny" and it is one of the darkest albums I've ever heard. It sounds like 70s King Crimson and 70s Miles Davis blended with Pat's signature sound. Quite a contrast to much of Pat's upbeat, celebratory music. This is some cool jazz, man. I don't know if you can even call it jazz. Quite an interesting album. Go in with zero expectations.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #844 on: May 17, 2016, 11:02:29 PM »
Listening to one of Pat Metheny's newest albums "Cuong Vu Trio Meets Pat Metheny" and it is one of the darkest albums I've ever heard. It sounds like 70s King Crimson and 70s Miles Davis blended with Pat's signature sound. Quite a contrast to much of Pat's upbeat, celebratory music. This is some cool jazz, man. I don't know if you can even call it jazz. Quite an interesting album. Go in with zero expectations.
Didn't even know Pat released a new album, awesome. Will have to check this out. I've really enjoyed Vu's involvement on the last few PMG albums...he has a very unique style.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #845 on: May 20, 2016, 06:32:10 AM »
Didn't even know Pat released a new album, awesome. Will have to check this out. I've really enjoyed Vu's involvement on the last few PMG albums...he has a very unique style.

Pat released at least 4 albums in 2016 so far:

The Unity Sessions
Live: Montreal '89
Cuong Vu Trio Meets Pat Metheny
Shift (Logan Richardson album w/ Pat on every track)

and one in 2015

Hommage a Eberhard Weber

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #846 on: May 22, 2016, 12:10:47 PM »
Miles Davis-Bitches Brew- One of the GREATEST music ever made.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 12:31:36 PM by The Trooper »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #847 on: May 22, 2016, 12:18:31 PM »
Can you believe I've never listened to that? That's changing right now. I'm listening to it on Spotify. I'm already entranced by the first song. It has this hauntingly beautiful mood to it.  I also love that John McLaughlin plays on it, probably one of the greatest to pick up the instrument.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #848 on: May 22, 2016, 12:22:32 PM »
Dude an incredible album and McLaughlin is tha man

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #849 on: May 22, 2016, 12:28:58 PM »
I'm slowly realizing that.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #850 on: May 22, 2016, 12:38:23 PM »
Miles is the bluesy jazz. If u like horn/trumpet players check out Maynard Ferguson. upbeat jazz and the dude can play a high note like nobody ever

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #851 on: May 22, 2016, 12:38:55 PM »
If you like big band jazz and Phil Collins, check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wz-H8AIFbM

My brother in law is in the trombone section :)
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #852 on: May 22, 2016, 12:40:52 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Fc2i0lYd4
Maynard.

And Splent. Saw that tour Splendid is an understatement. I give that album a spin often.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #853 on: May 22, 2016, 12:42:33 PM »
If you like big band jazz and Phil Collins, check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wz-H8AIFbM

My brother in law is in the trombone section :)

That is awesome. As a former trumpet player I always appreciated a good horn section.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #854 on: May 22, 2016, 12:48:36 PM »
I met Maynard a few times, lets say I was in awe

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #855 on: May 22, 2016, 12:49:43 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kTd9uSVvjE

La Fiesta..............nuff said

Most bad ass jazz song ever done
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 12:58:56 PM by The Trooper »

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #856 on: May 22, 2016, 01:00:45 PM »
People have no idea how hard it is to hit that high a note on a trumpet

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #857 on: October 21, 2016, 07:23:16 PM »
So I've been digging Bohren & der Club of Gore quite a lot these last months - both Sunset Mission and Black Earth are amazing, really unique take on jazz that I love. Probably because these guys were in hardcore/grindcore bands before going full dark jazz :lol

Also, new compilation is out, "Bohren for Beginners", and includes new song Der Angler which is excellent - guitars are back  :o

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #858 on: October 22, 2016, 06:45:00 AM »
I don't know what album it was, but when I tried those guys out, I found myself literally counting the seconds between each time the drummer tapped the hi-hat because there was just nothing else to hold my attention. I took it as a sign and moved on.

Aside from the new Fire! Orchestra, the only jazz I've listened to lately is tons of Nina Simone. Oh, and Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch made it onto my iPod for some reason.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Nice
« Reply #859 on: October 22, 2016, 12:18:33 PM »
You probably tried either Black Earth or Geisterfaust - the last one is really, really slow. Go with Sunset Mission, definitely not that slow-paced, most songs are pretty direct and don't take much time building up or whatever. Dunno, I just love their sound  :corn

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #860 on: January 20, 2017, 04:21:40 PM »
Dave Weckl and Tom Kennedy

Two masters trading solos. It's so cool to see how well synced they are together and how well they listen and play of eachother rythms and licks.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #861 on: January 20, 2017, 04:51:26 PM »
That was excellent.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #862 on: January 20, 2017, 09:17:14 PM »
goodness.  Those guys are soooo good.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #863 on: January 24, 2017, 05:39:45 PM »

Two masters trading solos. It's so cool to see how well synced they are together and how well they listen and play of eachother rythms and licks.

Have a bunch of Weckl albums but nothing by Kennedy. Worth further investigation.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #864 on: January 24, 2017, 06:12:04 PM »

Have a bunch of Weckl albums but nothing by Kennedy. Worth further investigation.
He's played on most of Weckls solo albums as far as i'm aware. He's played with a ton of people but I guess he's most  known for what he's done with Weckl and Mike Stern.
He's amazing, i've seen him live once with Dave Weckl Band and he's an amazing player. I remember one time during one of his bass solos, he was deep into a fast part and suddenly he started to talk with Weckl about something and all of a sudden they bursted out laughing and all that happened during his solo while his hands just kept on playing like nothing. He was so incredibly relaxed, i've never seen anything like it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #865 on: January 30, 2017, 04:20:03 PM »

He's played on most of Weckls solo albums as far as i'm aware. He's played with a ton of people but I guess he's most  known for what he's done with Weckl and Mike Stern.
He's amazing, i've seen him live once with Dave Weckl Band and he's an amazing player. I remember one time during one of his bass solos, he was deep into a fast part and suddenly he started to talk with Weckl about something and all of a sudden they bursted out laughing and all that happened during his solo while his hands just kept on playing like nothing. He was so incredibly relaxed, i've never seen anything like it.

I should probably know that but the last one I listened to was Hard Wired and he's not on that one. But that was album from like '94 of something so maybe he wasn't on Weckl's earlier records?

Offline pcs90

« Reply #866 on: February 02, 2017, 12:03:57 AM »
He's played on most (or all, not sure) of Weckl's albums.
Sidenote, while Dave Weckl is no doubt an amazing drummer and one of my favorites, the best albums of his are always with Jay Oliver on keyboards. The others I just can't get into. I'm not sure how much input Oliver has on the songs (I think they composed most together) but the style is much different from the DWB albums without him. He is one of the most underrated keyboardists out there in my opinion, along with Eli Winderman.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #867 on: February 02, 2017, 01:34:30 AM »
Honestly i'm not that into Weckls solo stuff, there's some cool stuff of course but for me i'm more a fan of his style of drumming. I'm more into the albums he did with Michel Camilo and Chick Corea.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #868 on: February 04, 2017, 11:21:54 AM »
Honestly i'm not that into Weckls solo stuff, there's some cool stuff of course but for me i'm more a fan of his style of drumming. I'm more into the albums he did with Michel Camilo and Chick Corea.

That's how I discovered him...through those Corea GRP albums. He's also the reason why I got Rendezvous though Camilo is probably the reason I still have it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #869 on: February 04, 2017, 12:51:26 PM »
Speaking of, here's a great interview with Weckl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_1HUcHUqkw&feature=youtu.be

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #870 on: February 28, 2017, 04:12:34 PM »
I just love this, the way they play of eachother and have fun and later joins together in Armando's Rumba. They're so well synced together it's amazing.

Chick Corea & Gary Burton - Armando's Rumba

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #871 on: October 07, 2017, 06:45:52 PM »
Saw Mezzoforte tonight celebrating their 40 year anniversary. Can't beleive they been around for so long, their drummer hasn't aged one bit. Funky and tight as always, they also had a singer doing some tunes and honestly it lifted the band to new heights.  :tup

• DTF.org Member

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #874 on: March 11, 2019, 01:22:28 PM »
Oz Noy's "Chocolate Souffle"

Holy polyrythm! That guitar riff/line is just out of this world. It's just floats there independently from everything.  :lol That guitar solo is so tasty though.