Author Topic: The Jazz Thread  (Read 110942 times)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Re: The Jazz Thread
« Reply #805 on: June 20, 2015, 05:57:25 PM »
I find the more experimental jazz is much more interesting and rewarding when it’s good, but very hit or miss - I’ll listen to one supposed classic and even though it’s weird as hell, it clicks immediately; I’ll listen to another and even after multiple listens, remain completely baffled.

The only thing I’ve heard with Cecil Taylor was the original Jazz Composers Orchestra. His style is pretty abrasive and out there.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #806 on: August 14, 2015, 03:32:29 AM »
To make a symphony orchestra, big band, choir sync and swing together well is not something you should take for granted. John Wilson orchestra does a splendid job though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK1_Jsk9B9Y

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #807 on: August 14, 2015, 02:17:41 PM »
just bought tickets to see kamasi washington a week from today. so pumped rite now. i hope thundercat is there.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #808 on: August 17, 2015, 04:14:28 PM »
I was flipping through channels yesterday night when I came across Wynton Marsalis and his band performing at Abbey Road studios, tearing it up fierce. I've forgotten how good his compositions are and how tight his band can be. It was a nice reminder about how much I'm a fan of his work.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #809 on: August 17, 2015, 05:34:27 PM »
just bought tickets to see kamasi washington a week from today. so pumped rite now. i hope thundercat is there.
Been slowly making my way through The Epic, and honestly, at this point, it’s not doing that much for me.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #810 on: August 17, 2015, 05:51:10 PM »
It's AOTY without a doubt

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #811 on: August 17, 2015, 05:56:14 PM »
And see, I think the hype for the album is part of what’s killed it for me. I listened to it expecting to hear “the next big thing in jazz”. All I hear is a pretty good late era Sanders album.

Plus, let’s be honest here. This is three albums under one title. It’s the equivalent of Miles Davis releasing Cookin’, Relaxin’, Workin’ and Steamin’ under one title and being like “whoa, biggest baddest jazz album ever”.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #812 on: August 18, 2015, 02:32:07 AM »
I know some people consider it 3 albums but I don't really get that. But I've only ever listened to it in one sitting, so I haven't experienced it any other way. There are some great recurring themes that overlaps and returns later in the album, so there's definitely continuity to it. I'd definitely count this as one album (because it was released as one) just the same way I count Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence as one album, because that's how it was released.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #813 on: August 18, 2015, 08:35:03 AM »
The discs are literally titled Volume 1/2/3 and have separate names though. And I can only see releasing it all under one album as a ploy to make some kind of grand statement (The EPIC man, whoa, how epic).

It’s either three albums, or one insanely bloated album. Regardless, the project suffers from being an enormous overindulgent ego trip.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #814 on: August 24, 2015, 12:45:04 AM »
so i saw kamasi a couple days ago, and he blew my mind. holy shiiiiiiiiit. it was so gooooooood. i got to meet him afterwards and he was the chillest dude. also got to meet one of my favorite drummers ronald bruner jr, so that was icing on the cake. it was such a fantastic night.

i don't feel like the epic is bloated at all. i don't think he intended for it to be one big album, but that's just how it ended up. this was the culmination of nearly a decade of work. they recorded in 2011 after a few years of writing, and finally put it out this year, and they probably felt like this was the best way to do it at this point.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #815 on: September 22, 2015, 04:25:57 PM »
Tower of Power Horn Clinic

Found this nice video of ToPs horn section in action during a clinic. The Doc rules!  :lol

Another one a bit more in your face
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 04:32:36 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #816 on: September 22, 2015, 04:56:43 PM »
so i saw kamasi a couple days ago, and he blew my mind. holy shiiiiiiiiit. it was so gooooooood. i got to meet him afterwards and he was the chillest dude. also got to meet one of my favorite drummers ronald bruner jr, so that was icing on the cake. it was such a fantastic night.

i don't feel like the epic is bloated at all. i don't think he intended for it to be one big album, but that's just how it ended up. this was the culmination of nearly a decade of work. they recorded in 2011 after a few years of writing, and finally put it out this year, and they probably felt like this was the best way to do it at this point.

I will probably see him when he comes here in a month or two (November I think), really stoked. The Epic is not only my favorite album of the year, but I would say it is up there among my favorite Jazz albums. Sure, I'm not as deep into the genre as some, and my knowledge is limited to only the bigger names so far, but I truly love The Epic that much. It covers so much ground and pulls off the various jazz styles so perfectly.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #817 on: September 22, 2015, 09:29:29 PM »
yeah. it's fantastic. probably my fav jazz album of all time.
prog sucks

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #818 on: September 22, 2015, 10:23:14 PM »
Tower of Power Horn Clinic

Found this nice video of ToPs horn section in action during a clinic. The Doc rules!  :lol

Another one a bit more in your face

simply the best.  The amount of talent that has been a part of that horn section through the years is unbelievable.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #819 on: January 03, 2016, 09:34:46 AM »
Listening to almost nothing but jazz at the moment. While in a jazz phase again, I'm gonna start filling in the cracks with some of the classics I still haven't gotten around to. Just bought:

Max Roach - We Insist!
Monk - Monk's Music, Brilliant Corners, Genius of Modern Music  (Monk is the gaping hole in my jazz collection at the moment)
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
Mingus  - Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus

And an album from one of my favourite current jazz groups, Angles.

Also, I checked out Bill Evans' Waltz for Debby recently, and wasn't a fan. I like my jazz big and raucous, for the most part. It just felt like the skeleton of a jazz recording to me, like someone forgot to record the sax or trumpet or whatever.

Offline jsem

« Reply #820 on: January 13, 2016, 09:11:03 AM »
That Cannonball record is pure gold.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #821 on: January 13, 2016, 09:37:12 AM »
That Cannonball record is pure gold.

most definitely.  Top 10 jazz album for me.
Winger would be better!

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #822 on: January 15, 2016, 09:34:44 AM »
I listened to that album tonight, it did sound damn good. Interesting that on Cannonball's album, Miles takes the lead in a good number of the songs.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #823 on: January 20, 2016, 02:31:48 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuKJkghC2u0

This is hilarious. Comedian who can't play piano hires a jazz band and records an album with them.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #824 on: January 20, 2016, 02:56:36 PM »
he was actually playing some things that made me think of Thelonious Monk  :lol
Winger would be better!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #825 on: January 20, 2016, 03:19:36 PM »
Wait, so that's not how you play jazz? :neverusethis:

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #826 on: January 20, 2016, 03:31:45 PM »
IT ALL SOUNDS THE SAME

he was actually playing some things that made me think of Thelonious Monk  :lol
Cecil Taylor here.

Can you imagine what the other dudes were thinking when he started playing?

Offline Slipknot

• Fuck it all, fuck this world!!!
  • I AM THE GREAT BIG MOUTH!!!
« Reply #827 on: January 20, 2016, 10:33:14 PM »
Monk, Taylor, Davis, Coltrane, Mingus and Coleman   :metal
PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE FUCKING AIR AND JUMP DA FUCK UP MOTHERFUCKER!!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #828 on: January 20, 2016, 11:00:50 PM »
IT ALL SOUNDS THE SAME
Once you listen to a jazz song you've listened to them all, right? :P

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #829 on: January 22, 2016, 04:30:14 AM »
Listening to Michel Camilos One More Once. 'Why Not' just makes me smile everytime, so damn groovy and joyful.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #830 on: January 23, 2016, 11:50:51 AM »
Listening to Michel Camilos One More Once. 'Why Not' just makes me smile everytime, so damn groovy and joyful.

I have his Rendezvous album. I keep waffling on if I should just sell it or not. It's not a bad album, but I probably don't give it the love it deserves. Haven't listened to it in more than a year.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #831 on: March 02, 2016, 11:21:43 PM »
kamasi's working an a new album (and a graphic novel apparently).
prog sucks

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #832 on: March 03, 2016, 12:52:41 AM »
kamasi's working an a new album (and a graphic novel apparently).

Another 3 hour album? :p

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #833 on: April 06, 2016, 10:38:26 PM »
I know some people consider it 3 albums but I don't really get that. But I've only ever listened to it in one sitting, so I haven't experienced it any other way. There are some great recurring themes that overlaps and returns later in the album, so there's definitely continuity to it. I'd definitely count this as one album (because it was released as one) just the same way I count Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence as one album, because that's how it was released.

Went through a YouTube rabbit hole with his music last weekend. Damn, I was impressed! I prefer listening to The Epic in tiny, digestible bits. Good to know that he's already working on a new one.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #834 on: April 07, 2016, 05:47:30 AM »
I dig his piano albums and all, but One More Once is just so outrageously groovy. Easily my favourite thing I've heard from him.

Anyone else checked out Hiromi's new album? Pretty much what you'd expect, but some really great stuff on it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #835 on: April 07, 2016, 10:50:56 AM »
Hiromi's new album is good, but the trio stuff is starting to get kind of formulaic for me. I loved Move, didn't care for the one after, this one is better but I feel like it isn't really anything I haven't heard before still.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #836 on: April 07, 2016, 02:18:38 PM »
Voice was so so great and yeah Move was very good but I agree, it's got a bit formulaic. Top notch stuff, but doesn't excite me much anymore.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #837 on: April 28, 2016, 11:50:43 PM »
I don't know if I'd consider it just "jazz" as they have a ton of other influences, but any Snarky Puppy fans on this board? This thread seemed to be the best place to mention them.
For those who haven't, I definitely recommend checking them out. They have some of the best musicians around, in any style.
Anyway, their new album just came out and it has some pretty cool stuff on it. Definitely a different vibe to their live-recorded stuff, but very nice regardless.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #838 on: April 29, 2016, 12:02:43 AM »
I would say Snarky Puppy belong here, yeah, they're basically jazz. And they're great, though I'm mostly familiar with their live outputs rather than their studio albums. We Like It Here is SOOOOOOO good!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #839 on: April 30, 2016, 11:50:14 AM »
I would say Snarky Puppy belong here, yeah, they're basically jazz. And they're great, though I'm mostly familiar with their live outputs rather than their studio albums. We Like It Here is SOOOOOOO good!
Agreed, that album is great all the way through. I've only listened to their older studio albums once each probably as I prefer the live ones too, but this new one is excellent even though it's a studio recording.