Author Topic: The Jazz Thread  (Read 108574 times)

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
Re: The Jazz Thread
« Reply #770 on: February 24, 2014, 05:03:12 PM »
I just saw those 2 Snarky Puppy videos. Holy crap they are awesome! Glad to have found out about them.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #771 on: February 25, 2014, 08:50:13 AM »
I just saw those 2 Snarky Puppy videos. Holy crap they are awesome! Glad to have found out about them.

:tup

I too found out about them through this forum after someone made a thread about them here. One of the best musical discoveries DTF.org has given me.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #772 on: February 25, 2014, 11:28:40 AM »

:tup

I too found out about them through this forum after someone made a thread about them here. One of the best musical discoveries DTF.org has given me.

I can't wait until I order their new stuff. Always fun to get this excited over a musical discovery.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #773 on: February 25, 2014, 03:49:21 PM »
Saw Mezzoforte last night. They where awesome and I couldn't exactly complain about my view:

I loved watching the keyboardist, he played with such ease and it was a pleasure to watch. Their music is so easy to get into and that's one thing I like about this band.

Here's a live clip I took:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDo5m0UscnY

Their music just makes me so damn happy.

There's nothing quite like seeing musicians from this distance. Bigger shows have some advantages too, but many times it doesn't get much better than this.

Offline Cerebral_Eulogy

« Reply #774 on: April 02, 2014, 05:52:17 PM »
I've seen really amazing jazz in both Queens NYC and in New Orleans...

I can't decide which was better.
I'm Commander Sheppard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #775 on: April 28, 2014, 07:43:08 PM »
I'm enjoying some lovely Charlie Parker tonight. Been in a pretty good mood lately and this is hitting the spot quite nicely.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #776 on: May 25, 2014, 08:50:44 AM »
Had a drive around the country side today, weather was perfect and so was the music I played:

Two amazing records!!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #777 on: June 17, 2014, 11:15:59 AM »
Anyone here listen to Fire! Orchestra? Their album Exit! is amazing. Experimental big band with female vocals. Weird stuff, but I love avant-garde jazz.

Here if you have 20 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqoBUuA8g1o
Bump for this.

I'm not listening to much music at all these days, but I have all the time in the world for this band (though the latter half of Exit! Part Two is too much for me, but that's the risk you take with avant-garde).

In case you're unaware, their new album, Enter!, comes out in a few days. It sounds like it could be even better than Exit! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKF5qjLBnCE

Been psyching myself up for it by going through the live renditions of Exit! on youtube.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #778 on: June 21, 2014, 11:13:59 AM »
Everyone here should listen to Moon Hooch.

You wont regret it

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #779 on: September 25, 2014, 03:43:12 AM »
Man, this kid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n22vi9vVLo&feature=youtu.be

His amazing talent aside, the way he wanna lead and "talk" with the drummer is on another level. Pretty damn freaky to see a kid with such confident as a musician.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #780 on: September 29, 2014, 02:22:16 PM »
I saw Snarky Puppy last night at the Berklee Performance Center; they were great, as could be expected. I love how much they change up their songs live (DT could take a leaf out of their book...).

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #781 on: October 24, 2014, 01:45:16 PM »
Just Chris Coleman shredding with some talented russian musicians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dHgtF6qnU

My god he's a beast!  :metal

I saw Snarky Puppy last night at the Berklee Performance Center; they were great, as could be expected. I love how much they change up their songs live (DT could take a leaf out of their book...).
I love those guys! Would be awesome to see them live.

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #782 on: November 22, 2014, 10:53:41 PM »
I have to give it up for GoGo Penguin. Those guys managed to mix jazz with Aphex Twin-style electronic music. The drummer basically used the beat patterns of that genre to influence his rhythm patterns--he successfully pulls it off too. I can see why the band was a contender for the Mercury Prize in the UK.

They are also one of the tightest bands I've ever seen based on their performance at a recent Jools Holland show.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #783 on: November 23, 2014, 02:02:27 PM »
I just watched that Jools Holland performance. That was awesome.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #784 on: January 28, 2015, 03:37:41 PM »
Just came back from seeing Mezzoforte. Great as usual but not the best gig i've seen with them. Line up was:

Eythor Gunnarsson - Keyboard
Fridrik Karlsson - Guitar
Jonas Wall - Sax
Johann Asmundsson - Bass
Martin Valihora - Drums

Martin Valihora substituted for Gulli Briem on drums and he did a good job but didn't have the same groove and feel as Gulli to be honest. Competent drummer for sure but a bit to busy for my taste. Jonas Wall is a pleasure to listen to, his solos are really tasteful. Overall a good concert but not the best.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #785 on: May 06, 2015, 11:34:05 AM »
Been listening to loads of Miles Davis lately, the man was a genius. Jazz in general is growing on me a lot, and I would say my AOTY so far might be Kamasi Washington - The Epic, a jazz album.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #786 on: May 07, 2015, 03:57:51 PM »
Been listening to loads of Miles Davis lately, the man was a genius. Jazz in general is growing on me a lot, and I would say my AOTY so far might be Kamasi Washington - The Epic, a jazz album.

Miles is awesome. Haven't been on a Miles kick lately though. Should probably start one.

Right now I'm chilling to Joe Morello's Going Places......

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #787 on: May 10, 2015, 08:47:34 PM »
I have a hard time getting into jazz in general. I don't mind some of its elements on another kinds of music (sometimes it works really well), but tried some classic albums like A Love Supreme and Kind of Blue, and nothing.

Until I listened to BADBADNOTGOOD's III. Holy shit, this is an amazing record, and the fact that these musicians are so young just blows me away. It combines Jazz-fusion with instrumental hip-hop and the result is astonishing. At first it told me nothing, but listening closer it reveals me a deep layer of instrumentation and a great coherence, even when it all sounds like a jam. I'm loving it.

Just thought I'd recommend it here, but you might already be familiar with it :laugh: .

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #788 on: May 10, 2015, 10:58:17 PM »

just came in here to hype the epic. that record is dope.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #789 on: May 11, 2015, 12:21:01 AM »

just came in here to hype the epic. that record is dope.

My AOTY for sure

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #790 on: May 11, 2015, 09:30:23 PM »
Sampling that album a bit, it does sound damn good. Will have to check it out.

My jazz listening is a proper slow trickle these days.

Offline Onno

« Reply #791 on: May 12, 2015, 03:38:25 AM »
Adding that album to my to-listen-list; I need to get into jazz some more. Speaking of which, does anyone have any album recommendations? I just don't have that much jazz-listening experience yet and I have no idea where to start. Albums which I own/love are: Kind of Blue, a few late 50s/early 60s albums by Coltrane, Empyrean Isles, Time Out, A Love Supreme.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #792 on: May 12, 2015, 09:49:06 AM »
Is that all you've heard, or are there albums you've heard and not liked/not liked so much?

Off the top of my head, some Jazz 101 albums you didn't mention (though as a disclaimer, jazz is kind of blessed and kind of cursed in that its most highly regarded albums are mostly quite experimental and often quite challenging ones, not that many are "easy" listens when you're new to the genre and still gaining your footing)

- Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Moanin' - alongside Kind of Blue and Time Out, probably the most easily likable jazz album ever made.
- Something by Mingus. I started with Blues and Roots, and I still feel that was a very lucky choice. Mingus is pretty weird, yet at the same time extremely listenable
- Something by Monk, though I hate to admit I can't help you there, Monk is the gaping hole in my jazz library
- Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come, Free Jazz - basically the foundations of avant garde and free jazz. Shape of Jazz is baby steps compared to what came later, but was a big move in its day, and is a really cool listen now. Free Jazz is, well, free jazz.
- John Coltrane - Ascension - Coltrane jumping in the deep end after A Love Supreme. This album is quite blatantly Free Jazz 2, but the ideas have been extended a bit further, and it's also better.
- Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch - like Coleman's stuff, this is an awesome gateway avant garde album
- Pharoah Sanders - Karma - if Ascension is Free Jazz 2, then Karma is A Love Supreme 2. Again, some extension of ideas, though probably not better.
- Miles Davis - Bitches Brew, In A Silent Way - the albums that "broke" jazz and started fusion (a mix of jazz, rock, funk, "world" music, etc), though they're in a category of their own
- Herbie Hancock - Headhunters - funkiest jazz album ever
- Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame - blistering hard-rocking fusion album. I tried all the fusion I could, and pretty much nothing even touches this

and if there's one album from the last forty years to place alongside those ones, it would be Yoko Kanno and the Seatbelts' Cowboy Bebop Soundtrack 1.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #793 on: May 12, 2015, 09:56:06 AM »
Adding that album to my to-listen-list; I need to get into jazz some more. Speaking of which, does anyone have any album recommendations? I just don't have that much jazz-listening experience yet and I have no idea where to start. Albums which I own/love are: Kind of Blue, a few late 50s/early 60s albums by Coltrane, Empyrean Isles, Time Out, A Love Supreme.

For the Kind of Blue feel, I would recommend Blue Train (Coltrane) (which you may already have), Something Else (Cannonball Adderley), The Blues and the Abstract Truth (Oliver Nelson)

Bill Evans played on Kind of Blue and has several awesome albums - Waltz for Debby, Sunday at the Village Vanguard, Portrait in Jazz to name a few.

If you like Empyrean Isles, definitely pick up Maiden Voyage.

Some of the others I recommend (copied from a previous post of mine in this thread):

Giant Steps - John Coltrane
The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery

If you like the fusiony stuff, try Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Al Di Meola, etc.
For later fusion I would go with Chick Corea first and then most of the people that have been in his bands have their own solo discographies (Dave Weckl being my favorite).
For some music that gets a little wild, go for Charles Mingus or Thelonius Monk (Brilliant Corners) (not quite the same "wild", but different and interesting none the less)
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Onno

« Reply #794 on: May 12, 2015, 03:10:56 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations. I already own the Coltrane albums you suggested, but I'll try to check out the rest of your suggestions in the meantime.

EDIT: Wow, I missed Lothario's post. Thanks to you as well. Will listen to those!

And yes, the albums I listed are albums I like very much.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 03:31:58 PM by Onno »

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: May 12, 2015, 03:42:39 PM »
I'd add BADBADNOTGOOD - III as a humble recommendation from someone who knows nothing about jazz, but loves that album :lol .

Offline Onno

« Reply #796 on: May 12, 2015, 05:09:53 PM »
I saw your post above about that. I might give it a try but generally I dislike hip-hop quite a bit so don't get your hopes up  :lol

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: May 12, 2015, 05:14:54 PM »
I'm not into hip-hop either, and most of it I found it boring and repetitive. It's an instrumental album though, so the "hip-hop influences" are more on the rhythms and the "beats", and there are enough pianos and saxophones to appeal to jazz fans I guess :P

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #798 on: June 11, 2015, 03:12:56 PM »
it appears Ornette Coleman died today
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #799 on: June 11, 2015, 03:53:32 PM »
it appears Ornette Coleman died today

Damn!  Very Sad.  Was he ill?

I will break out The Complete Science Fiction Sessions now in his honor.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #800 on: June 12, 2015, 11:07:41 PM »
Hi everyone! I watched Whiplash and was hooked by that type of more complex, orchestral jazz that makes up most of the soundtrack (is that known as big band jazz? Because the big band I had heard about before has a 1920s feeling, the songs from the movie sound more modern). I found a Buddy Rich concert in Montreal on Youtube that is kinda similar. Could anybody recommend any albums that have that kind of music? I´m essentially looking for something more complex and varied than the typical jazz quartet that follows the same structure again and again.

I would like to recommend the Stanton Moore trio, this is a great example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPchRYxSYV8 Please disregard the bass player´s ugly face  :P

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #801 on: June 13, 2015, 08:24:59 PM »
I listened to a few tracks from that soundtrack and it sounds fairly traditional to me, just with modern production and more upfront drumming, which I'm guessing is the result of it being a film about a drummer and the fact that a lot of jazz has much more rock-oriented, in your face drumming these days.

I've gotten the impression that if I looked into the old school, "standard" big band, I wouldn't find a ton I'd love, but I like a lot of the "fringe" stuff, the big artists in their big band moments.

These are some albums in that vein I dig:

Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady - this is basically the apex of big band music, and one of the peaks of all jazz. A forty minute suite dealing intimately with both Mingus' mental illness and the civil rights movement. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFA0FYQo0Gg
There is also Mingus Big Band, a modern tribute group that takes Mingus' music and does much of it in much bigger arrangements. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__OSyznVDOY

Coltrane - Ascension - this album is free jazz, not big band, but it's MASSIVE free jazz. It's big band ascending and transforming into something else. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMNbW6DLB14
Or if that's too abstract for you, try Africa/Brass, a mid-career Coltrane album that's less avant-garde, but, unlike most albums in that period, has a huge cast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjltzYpd4RM

Miles Davis and Gil Evans - Porgy and Bess, or Sketches of Spain. Gil Evans had a neat orchestral approach to jazz, and his albums with Miles are something very nice and unique. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e7ftQBv6R8

Yoko Kanno and the Seatbelts - Cowboy Bebop - this album has some pretty big, snazzy arrangements https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meECq9NvPpc

And one of the best, most boundary-pushing jazz groups at the moment is big band - Fire! Orchestra. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpEF1nWCHrM

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #802 on: June 15, 2015, 08:30:54 AM »
Thanks! After reading your first comment about the soundtrack, I think it makes a lot of sense. I{ll check the albums you recommended, just added the Mingus album to my checklist. Thanks!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #803 on: June 20, 2015, 04:13:51 PM »
Decided I couldn't pass up the chance to see Ginger Baker's Jazz Confusion. Comes at a really bad time with Rush in the area next week, but who needs food, right?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: June 20, 2015, 04:39:38 PM »
I don't mind jazz fusion or whatever you call Larry Carlton / Dave Grusin / George Benson type stuff...

But I really cannot bear atonal experimental pretentious jazz.

Ever heard of Cecil Taylor ?