Author Topic: The Jazz Thread  (Read 108581 times)

Offline ColdFireYYZ

Re: The Jazz Thread
« Reply #700 on: June 06, 2013, 10:49:22 AM »
I've been listening to a lot of jazz lately, but the genre is so extensive it's been kind of daunting. I'm already familiar with fusion, so I've been trying to listen to a broad range of things.

Yesterday I listened to Eric Dolphy's Out To Lunch! for the first time and loved it. I also just bought a box set of 5 Charles Mingus albums for only $9 from Amazon. Can't wait until it arrives!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #701 on: June 06, 2013, 11:51:56 AM »
Oh yeah, Out To Lunch is great.  And get ready for some wild music with the Mingus stuff.  Listening to his music is quite an experience.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #702 on: June 06, 2013, 01:31:34 PM »
Anyone here listen to Fire! Orchestra? Their album Exit! is amazing. Experimental big band with female vocals. Weird stuff, but I love avant-garde jazz.

Here if you have 20 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqoBUuA8g1o
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 01:37:50 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #703 on: June 06, 2013, 02:13:09 PM »
Lenny White -- great jazz fusion drummer, used to be with Return to Forever

Good albums to check:  Present Tense and Renderers of Spirit
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline YngVai

« Reply #704 on: June 06, 2013, 03:00:09 PM »
Any Roy Hargrove fans in here?  Every note the guy plays is golden, but he's been really absent lately.  Apparently he's going through some heroin issues right now, shame to see. 

Offline darkshade

« Reply #705 on: June 06, 2013, 08:06:43 PM »
I've been listening to a lot of jazz lately, but the genre is so extensive it's been kind of daunting.

Don't worry about it. A newbie to metal might find there's so much and not know where to begin, but like with any genre, you have to dig through the crap to find the golden nuggets. Luckily, boards like this have members that can provide recommendations to make the search a little easier.

Lenny White -- great jazz fusion drummer, used to be with Return to Forever

and still is.

Offline jsem

« Reply #706 on: June 08, 2013, 02:40:17 PM »
Big Phat Band just continues to amaze me. Been studying the charts of Goodwin, Neal Hefti and others... have begun arranging myself a bit...

Offline sueño

« Reply #707 on: June 08, 2013, 03:03:53 PM »
^^^  they are a lot of fun!

Don't know if mentioned earlier, but Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain moves me every time.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline darkshade

« Reply #708 on: June 09, 2013, 11:51:51 AM »
Just got Miles Davis - Black Beauty in the mail yesterday. It's a replacement for my old, scratched copy. How do you guys feel about that lineup, considered to be the "Lost Quintet" during the Bitches Brew tour? I personally enjoy the ferociousness of the band, very energetic, raw, dissonant sound. I also have "It's About That Time, and that one has Wayne Shorter still in the band, he rips it, and it's probably the best one of the 3 (the other being "Fillmore West" released in 1970).

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #709 on: June 11, 2013, 12:34:01 AM »
It's not bad. Anything from Miles in the 70's is alright with me. Wayne Shorter is missed though, he's one of my favorite Sax players and really contributed a ton to Miles' band.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #710 on: July 07, 2013, 05:19:19 AM »
Hi guys. Do you know any documentary about history of jazz?
BTW, currently listening to Acknowledgement by John Coltrane ;)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #711 on: July 07, 2013, 08:33:48 AM »
Ken Burns did a 10 episode documentary called Jazz for PBS about 10 years ago. You get a pretty good overview of the history, but there are several flaws that I will talk about when I get home.
Winger would be better!

Offline YngVai

« Reply #712 on: July 07, 2013, 12:11:54 PM »
Ken Burns's Jazz According to Wynton Marsalis should've been the actual title. 

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #713 on: July 07, 2013, 12:52:17 PM »
Ken Burns's Jazz According to Wynton Marsalis should've been the actual title.

Ha - that was one of my complaints!

My primary issue is that the entire premise of the series was that jazz is some kind of completed work that was finished in the 1960's and now belongs in a museum to be admired for what it was.  Not something that continued to evolve beyond that point.

The series spent 9 episodes from roughly 1920 to 1960, then one single episode covering 1960 to 2001 (the year of its airing).  Because of this, entire jazz sub-genres are hardly mentioned if at all.  Avant-garde?  Fusion?  Jazz-funk?  Apparently they didn't exist.

And Wynton Marsalis, oh boy.  If you are a fan of his you are going to love the series, because it is seemingly all Wynton, all the time.  And even more egregious, he is basically presented as a sort of "savior" of jazz since it apparently died in the 60's.  One jazz writer had this to say about it: "Wynton's coronation in the film is not merely biased. It is not just aesthetically grating. It is unethical, given his integral role in the making of the very film that is praising him to the heavens."

My advise is to watch the show with the thought that this is Ken Burns'/Wynton Marsails' send up of jazz and as a good introduction to the history of the genre.  Beyond that, you'll need to dig deeper to find the things they were unwilling to include or talk about.
Winger would be better!

Offline Mosh

« Reply #714 on: July 08, 2013, 12:17:56 PM »
That documentary is a bit of a disappointment. It does great with explaining the beginning of Jazz, but that's about it. I can't stand Wynton Marsalis. He does great things with promoting Jazz education in America but at the same time, he's stuck in the 40's/50's. For some reason he won't embrace the way the genre has evolved. It's as if he'd rather see Jazz as an artifact in a museum rather than a breathing organism. Plus the guy dissed Miles. You don't do that.

/rant
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline YngVai

« Reply #715 on: July 08, 2013, 02:28:22 PM »
I think Keith Jarret said something along the lines of "the man's never played a note that meant anything in his entire life."  I like the way he plays, and the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra, but his attitude definitely annoys me.

Offline sueño

« Reply #716 on: July 08, 2013, 03:08:48 PM »
I agree with all said about Wynton.  I always like Brandon better -- just about the only person I can stand playing soprano.

However, I do appreciate Wynton keeping jazz education (limited though it may be) in the forefront.  His educational programs for kids and sponsorship of various programs are valuable.  No one else is really doing it.

Just a little credit where it's due.  :)

Offline Mosh

« Reply #717 on: July 08, 2013, 03:25:54 PM »
I agree with all said about Wynton.  I always like Brandon better -- just about the only person I can stand playing soprano.
Ever check out Coltrane's later stuff? I always thought his playing was great on an instrument I otherwise can't stand. Wayne Shorter is good too, his latest album Without A Net is very awesome.

Agreed about the Jazz education. Jazz roots are important, and should be taught in American schools. After all, it's America's music, the history and culture behind it is vital information, in my opinion. However there's more to it than Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong, and Wynton should acknowledge that.

Offline sueño

« Reply #718 on: July 08, 2013, 03:35:38 PM »
Yah, forgot about Wayne Shorter -- he's great!

I love Coltrane, as well but his later stuff got a little more "out there" than I tend to enjoy in jazz.  I really love Brandon's lyrical style when he accompanies others.  I'm thinking of his Sting years.  He's also one of those whom I can tell exactly who's playing from the first few notes.  I dig his style.

Again -- agreed 100% about the lack of modern jazz from Wynton.  It's just that no one else is doing it.  His focus is where it is...there's no reason other jazz musicians can't take up the education mantle for other sub-genres.  I'd love to see Chick Corea explore some of this!

Offline Mosh

« Reply #719 on: July 08, 2013, 03:47:16 PM »
I like Coltrane's "out there" stuff. I'm totally into that free jazz thing though. Eric Dolphy and Ornette Coleman are some of my favorite players.

Herbie Hancock is good with promoting Jazz for young people too, although he isn't as high profile about it as Wynton. Actually, a lot of Jazz players are good about this. I guess since Wynton is at the forefront with these things, the burden is on him to push those other, less talked about, styles .

Offline sueño

« Reply #720 on: July 08, 2013, 04:08:55 PM »
Yeah, no to "free jazz".  I prefer more structure in my music.  :)

Herbie Hancock is another great one to do this more visibly. 

I think when it's said and done, jazz has never been a genre really big on self-promotion.  Either you get it and listen to it or your don't -- it tends to wait for people to find it.  Unfortunately, young people are not as inclined to "look" for music.  They listen to what comes over the radio or what's promoted heavily.

They need parents like I had (and am) to expose them to the great music from their youth.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #721 on: July 08, 2013, 04:44:14 PM »
That's true, an education on it does help though. I personally got into Jazz through school. Learning about the history and personalities behind some players (especially Miles) made me appreciate the genre even more.

Offline sueño

« Reply #722 on: July 08, 2013, 05:08:43 PM »
And it's heartening to see a young person like yourself showing such an interest in such a wonderful genre of music. 

Well done, you!  :)

Offline Mosh

« Reply #723 on: July 08, 2013, 06:30:36 PM »
Haha, thanks. I'm very glad to have found this music. :)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #724 on: July 08, 2013, 07:01:12 PM »
heh, I try to play a wide variety of music in our house for our kids, but every time I ask my 4 year old son what he wants to listen to, his answer is invariably "jazz!".  I think he just likes to say the word, but he gets to listen to all kinds of awesome music because of it.
Winger would be better!

Offline sueño

« Reply #725 on: July 08, 2013, 07:07:40 PM »
I think your boy may be a genius!     :tup

And it *is* the coolest sounding word to describe a genre.  You can't say "jaazzzzz"  without feeling completely groovy.    :biggrin:

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #726 on: July 14, 2013, 11:35:22 AM »
Frank Sinatra & The Quinzy Jones Big Band [Live In Studio]

After You've Gone
Mack The Knife

Look at that epic musician list!!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline sueño

« Reply #727 on: July 14, 2013, 12:02:27 PM »
Frank Sinatra & The Quinzy Jones Big Band [Live In Studio]

After You've Gone
Mack The Knife

Look at that epic musician list!!  :metal

LOVE!!!!   :hefdaddy :heart

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #728 on: July 14, 2013, 03:00:22 PM »
Check out Sinatra at the Sands with Count Basie and his Orchestra. It's my go to Sinatra at the moment (and probably for a long time). Both of those guys were monsters of their respective fields, and hearing them together is just amazing.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #729 on: September 02, 2013, 05:58:56 AM »
Bump.

Listening to the John Coltrane records I bought almost a year ago...

Just bought 6 CDs by John Coltrane for 5,50 euros at a local store  :metal

Blue Train
Giant Steps
Soultrane
Olé Coltrane
My Favorite Things
Africa/Brass

Of those I've only heard Blue Train before, so I'm looking forward to listening to the others as well.

After I bought them, I only listened to Blue Train and Giant Steps a few times and then forgot about them. And now I'm listening again... Wow, this is good.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #730 on: September 02, 2013, 10:28:21 AM »
Blue Train and Giant Steps are classics. I should listen to more Coltrane.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #731 on: September 02, 2013, 05:05:21 PM »
I think Headhunters (by Herbie Hancock), the first two albums by Mahavishnu Orchestra or some Zappa would be a good start before entering the "modal jazz and hard bop realm".
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #732 on: September 02, 2013, 05:20:57 PM »
I think Headhunters (by Herbie Hancock), the first two albums by Mahavishnu Orchestra or some Zappa would be a good start before entering the "modal jazz and hard bop realm".

Yes. Very yes.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #733 on: September 02, 2013, 10:32:18 PM »
Love all that stuff. I'm definitely more into Fusion than modal and hard bop stuff, though I like that stuff too.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #734 on: October 23, 2013, 01:37:18 PM »
I just picked up Phil Collins - A Hot Night In Paris. I'm really diggin this album. My first of its kind. Where do i go from here? I love the whole Big Band Jazz stuff and I want more of it.