Author Topic: The Jazz Thread  (Read 110496 times)

Re: The Jazz Thread
« Reply #630 on: August 02, 2012, 03:01:37 AM »
Yep, the first Jaco record is a bona fide classic. Portrait of Tracy is the greatest solo bass composition ever.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #631 on: August 02, 2012, 03:07:31 AM »
Such a good track. It really showcases Jaco's skills especially with the harmonics. I definitely need to buy this record ASAP.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #632 on: August 02, 2012, 08:58:49 AM »
that first Jaco album is GREAT!  But he has quite a short studio discography.  So unless you are into his live recordings you might be a bit disappointed.

For some reason I have never given Word of Mouth many listens.  It has never wowed me like his debut.

Also, I think I've mentioned it before on the boards, but check out Al Di Meola's debut Land Of The Midnight Sun.  Jaco contributes bass on Suite Golden Dawn.  Awesome stuff!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #633 on: August 02, 2012, 09:14:38 AM »
Andreas Pålsson Trio

The drummer is a former percussion teacher of mine who also plays alot of jazz. He's in this jazz trio with an amazing Hammond player who actually works as a classical percussionist but also plays alot of Hammond organ. He's an amazing muscian in every way and i thought i should share it.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline darkshade

« Reply #634 on: August 02, 2012, 06:34:22 PM »
I don't know why it took me so long, but I FINALLY started listening to Jaco's solo stuff, and I love it. The Jaco Pastorius record is definitely right up my alley. I think I took such a liking to it because Herbie Hancock is on it, and I really dig his stuff. Put the two guys together, and DAMN do you get some good stuff. I can't wait to see what else his discography has to offer. Really looking forward to it.

Check out the album "JACO" featuring Jaco, Pat Metheny, and Paul Bley. Metheny plays uncharacteristically on that album, it's an amazing album.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #635 on: August 02, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
that first Jaco album is GREAT!  But he has quite a short studio discography.  So unless you are into his live recordings you might be a bit disappointed.

For some reason I have never given Word of Mouth many listens.  It has never wowed me like his debut.

I really wish that he had a bigger solo discography. I didn't realize how short it was until after I listened to his debut. I'm not disappointing per say, but I am a little let down. That being said I have to agree with you on Word of Mouth. I've only listened to it a couple of times, but it's definitely not as high caliber as his debut. Still has some very good tracks on it, but nothing near as good as the first record.

I don't know why it took me so long, but I FINALLY started listening to Jaco's solo stuff, and I love it. The Jaco Pastorius record is definitely right up my alley. I think I took such a liking to it because Herbie Hancock is on it, and I really dig his stuff. Put the two guys together, and DAMN do you get some good stuff. I can't wait to see what else his discography has to offer. Really looking forward to it.

Check out the album "JACO" featuring Jaco, Pat Metheny, and Paul Bley. Metheny plays uncharacteristically on that album, it's an amazing album.

I'm about to go check that out right now. When I first read about it, I can say that it really intrigued me. I can't wait to check it out.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline jsem

« Reply #637 on: August 13, 2012, 01:07:17 PM »
James Carter clinic in Moscow... well worth the almost two hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7bcVdgHgcI

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #638 on: August 18, 2012, 08:26:01 PM »
So Mingus Big Band play an hour from me on September 5th. And I'm working.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #639 on: August 20, 2012, 09:37:10 PM »
So Mingus Big Band play an hour from me on September 5th. And I'm working.

Ouch!

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #640 on: August 21, 2012, 09:46:42 AM »
That's a real bummer. I would probably cry if that was the case for me.
prog sucks

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #641 on: August 21, 2012, 11:24:45 AM »
Mingus Big Band is so good.  Love their energy.
Winger would be better!

Offline jsem

« Reply #642 on: August 21, 2012, 11:50:17 AM »
Going to fill in on Bari in Royal Big Band, a relatively well known big band here in Stockholm. Only on their rehearsal since their ordinary bari player couldn't show up, but still..
*feels good man*

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #643 on: August 21, 2012, 12:08:23 PM »
Nice man. Love me some bari sax. I played for 9 years.
prog sucks

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #644 on: August 25, 2012, 06:51:09 PM »
Going to fill in on Bari in Royal Big Band, a relatively well known big band here in Stockholm. Only on their rehearsal since their ordinary bari player couldn't show up, but still..
*feels good man*

Congrats! That's awesome!

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #645 on: September 06, 2012, 04:41:43 PM »
I just have to post this video of the Richie Cole Quintet doing their rendition of Yard Bird Suite.  Man, all the soloists in this piece are shredding like crazy over that bebop stomp.  I'm surprised the venue didn't fall to pieces after the band obliterated everything in site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cjIaIs-4pU

Offline darkshade

« Reply #646 on: September 06, 2012, 07:01:36 PM »
Anyone looking forward to Hiromi's new album "Move" that comes out this month? I love Hiromi.

She's also touring, with Stanley Clarke on bass, and I know she'll be playing in New Brunswick, NJ Sept. 17 or 18, and then all week after that in NYC.

Offline jsem

« Reply #647 on: September 08, 2012, 07:21:26 AM »
Hiromi is playing in Stockholm soon..

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #648 on: September 17, 2012, 11:07:39 PM »
So my first four Mingus albums were Blues and Roots, Tijuana Moods, Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, and Mingus Ah Um. All are great albums from start to finish.

My next three have been Pithecanthropus Erectus, Mingus Dynasty and The Clown. None are great albums from start to finish, despite obvious Mingus masterpieces throughout. I'm starting to wonder if I have a truly great Mingus studio album left to go, or just pretty good ones that people call brilliant because it's Mingus.

(I missed Mingus Big Band, by the way. I might have asked for a day off work, but I had been sick in the week beforehand, so I thought it would be a tall order).

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #649 on: September 21, 2012, 06:10:42 PM »
I've been picking up jazz records left and right recently. My latest pickups have been Bye Bye Black Bird - Keith Jarrett Trio, Weather Report - Weather Report (the later one w/ Jaco), and April in Paris - Count Basie. All really solid albums. The Count Basie one has a special place in my heart though because it was the first jazz album that I ever remember hearing when my dad would put music on.
prog sucks

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #650 on: October 06, 2012, 01:01:51 PM »
A good friend of mine just turned me on to Kurt Rosenwinkel. He's an amazing guitarist. I would definitely recommend checking out his album The Next Step. Specifically the second track "Minor Blues."
prog sucks

Offline jsem

« Reply #651 on: October 08, 2012, 01:13:39 PM »
So I'm seeing Allan Holdsworth in a few days..

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #652 on: October 09, 2012, 04:40:25 PM »
Michel Camilo - New York Band - "CARIBE" (part 1)
Michel Camilo - New York Band - "CARIBE" (part 2)

The amount of talent on that stage is just :omg:!

and this ain't to bad either:

Michel Camilo - On Fire (Horacio Hernandez and Anthony Jackson)

What kind of brain is needed to keep both the tempo, pulse and energy up like that? It's just nerve-wracking!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #653 on: October 09, 2012, 07:17:30 PM »
Blue Lou!!!
Winger would be better!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #654 on: October 28, 2012, 02:13:28 AM »
Bump.

I'm kind of new to jazz, but most jazz that I heard so far is epic. Some things I've listened to so far are Bitches Brew, Empyrean Isles, some Pat Metheny stuff and a few songs from Weather Report (even though those last too are more like fusion I guess). Anyone have good recommendations?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #655 on: October 28, 2012, 10:10:25 AM »
I would put Bitches Brew into the early Fusion category as well.

It kind of depends on what you like as jazz is splintered into many different directions you can take.

Some of the more popular/accessible albums in the genre that I love would be:

Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
Blue Train - John Coltrane
Somethin' Else - Cannonball Adderley
The Blues and the Abstract Truth - Oliver Nelson (my favorite)
Giant Steps - John Coltrane
Maiden Voyage - Herbie Hancock
The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery

If you like the fusiony stuff, try Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Al Di Meola, etc.

If you like the piano led stuff, try Bill Evans (Waltz for Debby, Sunday at the Village Vanguard - both are awesome), maybe even Dave Brubeck (Take Five).

For later fusion I would go with Chick Corea first and then most of the people that have been in his bands have their own solo discographies (Dave Weckl being my favorite).

For some music that gets a little wild, go for Charles Mingus or Thelonius Monk (Brilliant Corners) (not quite the same "wild", but different and interesting none the less)
Winger would be better!

Offline jsem

« Reply #656 on: October 28, 2012, 02:15:41 PM »
So anyway... been consumed with Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band the last few months, not as much the last few weeks.. but in total these last few months. Brilliant arranging really.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #657 on: November 02, 2012, 08:14:30 AM »
I would put Bitches Brew into the early Fusion category as well.

It kind of depends on what you like as jazz is splintered into many different directions you can take.

Some of the more popular/accessible albums in the genre that I love would be:

Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
Blue Train - John Coltrane
Somethin' Else - Cannonball Adderley
The Blues and the Abstract Truth - Oliver Nelson (my favorite)
Giant Steps - John Coltrane
Maiden Voyage - Herbie Hancock
The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery

If you like the fusiony stuff, try Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Al Di Meola, etc.

If you like the piano led stuff, try Bill Evans (Waltz for Debby, Sunday at the Village Vanguard - both are awesome), maybe even Dave Brubeck (Take Five).

For later fusion I would go with Chick Corea first and then most of the people that have been in his bands have their own solo discographies (Dave Weckl being my favorite).

For some music that gets a little wild, go for Charles Mingus or Thelonius Monk (Brilliant Corners) (not quite the same "wild", but different and interesting none the less)
Thanks man, will check this out :tup

Online Tomislav95

« Reply #658 on: November 02, 2012, 01:47:22 PM »
Glad to see this thread :tup
I have been listening to jazz for about 1 year but everything I heard (and it's not much) is mindblowing. I have to listen more so would you write your favorite artists/albums?
(BTW, Big Hath, thank for Oliver Nelson :smiley: )
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #659 on: November 02, 2012, 02:07:53 PM »
Cool.  The Blues and the Abstract Truth is awesome.

What are some of the albums that you really love from your year of listening?  I can try to come up with some other suggestions in addition to the items I listed above.
Winger would be better!

Online Tomislav95

« Reply #660 on: November 02, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »
Cool.  The Blues and the Abstract Truth is awesome.

What are some of the albums that you really love from your year of listening?  I can try to come up with some other suggestions in addition to the items I listed above.
Miles Davis (Kind of Blue, Birth of the Cool, Biches Brew), Billy Cobham (Spectrum), Wes Montgomery, John Coltrane, Thelonius Monk, Duke Ellington, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra (but I'm not in vocal jazz that much), Weather Report, Return to Forever, Al di Meola, Jean-Luc Ponty (his Enigmatic Ocean is probably my favorite jazz album), Mahavishnu Orchestra (Birds Of Fire, Visions of the Emerald Beyond, The Inner Mounting Flame) and few others ;D

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #661 on: November 02, 2012, 02:41:55 PM »
Try Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage (mentioned above - hard bob/modal) and Headhunters (more on the funk side of things)

I'll try to post some more later when I get home and look through a few albums.
Winger would be better!

Online Tomislav95

« Reply #662 on: November 02, 2012, 03:06:07 PM »
Try Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage (mentioned above - hard bob/modal) and Headhunters (more on the funk side of things)
I'll try to post some more later when I get home and look through a few albums.
I heard that, too but somehow I forgot :facepalm:

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #663 on: November 04, 2012, 05:53:09 PM »
Just found this gem on YouTube. Thelonious Monk: Straight, No Chaser.
prog sucks

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #664 on: November 04, 2012, 07:00:40 PM »
yes, that is an awesome documentary
Winger would be better!