Author Topic: The Jazz Thread  (Read 109888 times)

Offline rogerdil

Re: The Jazz Thread
« Reply #595 on: November 30, 2011, 07:30:09 AM »
Just realizing the excellence of Larry Young - Unity

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #596 on: December 28, 2011, 06:45:11 PM »
Wynton Marsallis :hefdaddy

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #597 on: December 28, 2011, 07:03:58 PM »
If anyone wants to hear some amazing dark, gothic neo-jazz cabaret with amazing smokey vocals and twisted but clever lyrics, check out Jill Tracy's Diabolical Streak. I've never heard anything else like it.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #598 on: December 28, 2011, 08:57:03 PM »
Hmm OK I'll do that! :tup

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #599 on: December 28, 2011, 11:41:24 PM »
If anyone wants to hear some amazing dark, gothic neo-jazz cabaret with amazing smokey vocals and twisted but clever lyrics, check out Jill Tracy's Diabolical Streak. I've never heard anything else like it.

fucking sexy
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #600 on: February 28, 2012, 06:48:42 PM »
Bumping to talk about Keith Jarrett.  I love the man, but I do understand how some people can find him unappealing with all of moaning that he does. Personally I feel like that adds to the overall experience, but many see as the exact opposite. Any other Jarrett fans out there? Standards Trio fans?

Currently listening to Whisper Not a live Standards Trio recording from Paris. It's got some wonderful stuff on there.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #601 on: February 28, 2012, 10:07:28 PM »
Keith Jarrett's one of my favourite artists, although I explore his stuff extremely slowly. Personally, I've never had any problems with his vocalising along with his piano, his albums are normally mixed so that it's barely noticeable, and if not, it's not as distracting or as bad as people make it out to be.

I haven't bothered with his Standards Trio, beyond an album called Changeless (which is apparently his trio's album which is most like his solo stuff).

Recently, I've been listening to his early Bremen/Lausanne album. Incredible concerts. Really dense material, a lot more challenging than other solo concerts of his I've heard, but still very melodic and catchy in a lot of parts.

I really want to hear more of the music he made with his American and European quartets. All I've heard at the moment is The Survivors Suite, possibly one of my favourite jazz albums.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #602 on: February 28, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
I'm the same way with listening to his stuff except it's mostly the Standards Trio stuff. I have heard some of solo work, but when I started listening to him I was really into the whole trio thing, so I haven't really ventured any further.

I would definitely recommend checking out Standards Vol.1 especially their version of God Bless The Child. It was my first experience with him and I fell in love with it, and him as well. It's really the album that got me into jazz.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #603 on: February 28, 2012, 11:04:10 PM »
Keith Jarrett was who got me into jazz too, though for me, it was Vienna Concert.

I'll make Standards Vol. 1 the album I go to when I get around to more of his trio stuff.

The real problem I've had getting into his trio stuff is there are so many albums, and unlike his solo or quartet/quintet stuff, none ever really struck me as having a reputation that puts it above the others. So rather than there being three or four must-hear albums that you can confidently check out initially, there's just twenty or thirty apparently very good albums, and I didn't really want to start looking when I didn't know where to start.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #604 on: February 28, 2012, 11:09:16 PM »
Sorry to break the Kieth Jarrett streak (Not familiar with his work at all; reconciliations4noobs anyone?)

I'm really digging Wayne Shorter right now.  Have Speak No Evil, Adam's Apple, Night Dreamer, Juju, and Super Nova.  Speak No Evil's probably my favorite, though I enjoy all of these albums, except for Super Nova.  That's one I've yet to really get on the same level with. 

Any of you have fair word on his works?

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #605 on: February 28, 2012, 11:22:11 PM »
I'll give you the same thing I said to Fluffy: Start where it all began Standards Vol.1.

In regards to Shorter I'm really only familiar with some of his work with Weather Report and haven't really ventured into any of his other stuff, so I can't really give you much on him.
prog sucks

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #606 on: March 13, 2012, 02:16:03 AM »
Shoutout to the great modern drummer Bill Stewart!

His album Snide Remarks is fantastic; 9 spacy compositions brought to life with his super-clever work on The skins.

Check out, say, Mayberry and Crosstalk on the YouTube, listen closely, and become a believer!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #607 on: March 14, 2012, 04:12:54 PM »
Yknow, I got Derek Sherinian's new album Oceana a few weeks ago, and Ive listened to it a bunch of times. I have to say, it's his most "jazz fusion" album. All his albums have had a level of jazz and fusion in the music, but I feel that his albums have been dominated by prog-metal (as great as they are). Oceana is a full on jazz-fusion album, with a some heavy moments thrown in. Looking at the line up, it's no surprise the metal took a back seat to the jazz.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #608 on: March 15, 2012, 07:53:59 PM »
Yknow, I got Derek Sherinian's new album Oceana a few weeks ago, and Ive listened to it a bunch of times. I have to say, it's his most "jazz fusion" album. All his albums have had a level of jazz and fusion in the music, but I feel that his albums have been dominated by prog-metal (as great as they are). Oceana is a full on jazz-fusion album, with a some heavy moments thrown in. Looking at the line up, it's no surprise the metal took a back seat to the jazz.

Still don't have this one yet, but I picked up Quantum a few weeks back but still have not had a chance to listen to that.

Offline jsem

« Reply #609 on: March 16, 2012, 12:30:08 AM »
I wouldn't call Oceana fusion. I've listened to it like 10 times - one of the best instrumental rock/prog albums though. It's more instrumental rock with a ton of prog thrown in.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #610 on: March 16, 2012, 12:37:26 PM »
Just got Head Hunters in the mail. So happy right now; I love that album.
prog sucks

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #611 on: March 16, 2012, 05:11:11 PM »
Any Brad Mehldau fans in the house?  I just wanted to find out if anyone has checked out the Brad Mehldau Trio's Ode yet?  I've been a fan of his other records (solo and other configurations), but hadn't heard this one yet.  I also found out that this collection of songs are all originals as opposed to the sprinkling of Radiohead, Soundgarden, Oasis, or Nick Drake like his other albums.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #612 on: March 16, 2012, 06:23:13 PM »
I have a Pat Metheny Quartet album which features Brad Mehldau. It's some fine post-bop, though it's been a long while since Ive heard it.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #613 on: March 16, 2012, 10:12:45 PM »
I am a fan of Highway Rider.

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #614 on: March 16, 2012, 10:21:42 PM »
I have a Pat Metheny Quartet album which features Brad Mehldau. It's some fine post-bop, though it's been a long while since Ive heard it.

I'll have to seek this one out.  Brad got me when he recorded a version of Coltrane's Countdown.  Holy shit those fingers go through the keys like they're nothing.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #615 on: March 17, 2012, 09:46:40 AM »

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #616 on: March 21, 2012, 10:17:46 PM »
So I've been VERY slowly making my way through the On the Corner Sessions, which is really everything Miles made from On the Corner through to his meltdown in '75 (which includes Ife from Big Fun and all of Get Up With It except Honky Tonk).

So much music, but pretty much all of it's great. It's really hard to pick out highlights. Red China Blues and Rated X are very cool. The Hen is great. The Big Fun/Hollywuud extra takes are great. Calypso Frelimo and He Loved Him Madly are both awesome. What They Do is just brilliant.

I've also spun a few early Ornette Coleman albums in the last few months (The Shape of Jazz to Come and Change of the Century) and found both a bit underwhelming. Shape of Jazz's Side A is great. Side B is okay, but nowhere near as good. Change of the Century was good, but not overly interesting at all.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #617 on: March 22, 2012, 10:27:58 PM »
So, today I got Never No Lament (a collection of Duke Ellington's big band recordings from 1940=42). 

I'm currently listening to the first disk (of three) and really digging it.   :tup

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #618 on: March 24, 2012, 12:27:54 PM »
I started my morning off with disks 2 and 3.  Real amazing music it was. 

I definitely am going to seek out more of Ellington's vast body of work. 

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #619 on: March 24, 2012, 04:39:41 PM »
He's got a ton of music, but his stuff is all great. We play it all the time in jazz band. I can't think of any song of his that I don't like.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline darkshade

« Reply #620 on: April 03, 2012, 11:14:26 PM »
Bumped for some Miles Davis appreciation. I caught the Miles bug recently and have been mostly listening to his music last couple days. Somehow I listened to the entire Live at the Plugged Nickel today, which is like 5 hours long, but it was so good. I'm finishing up Big Fun right now.  :hat

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #621 on: April 04, 2012, 12:11:58 AM »
I really haven't go into Miles that much. The only thing that I've listened to of his more than once in the past few months is In a Silent Way, which is SUCH a great album.
prog sucks

Offline darkshade

« Reply #622 on: May 18, 2012, 10:26:20 AM »
If you guys get the chance, check out the new Tribal Tech album. It's great! Really good fusion, and different from the usual Tribal Tech fare.

Seriously, you know how their older albums are similar to 80s Chick Corea Elektric Band, Dave Weckl Band, or much of that late-80s/90s fusion? Well, this album is a lot different, and much more modern sounding, with more emphasis on experimental jazz and some electronics.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #623 on: May 18, 2012, 10:31:36 AM »
That sounds really cool, I'll check that out!  The only Tribal Tech album I have is Reality Check, but I love it.  Listening to some Tal Farlow now, I can't believe I never noticed this thread before!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #624 on: July 08, 2012, 12:33:51 PM »
Has anyone heard the new Return To Forever live album with Jean-Luc Ponty? I heard it's great, and I will probably get the special edition with the DVD (only $16 at my local shop).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #625 on: July 21, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
Has anyone heard the new Return To Forever live album with Jean-Luc Ponty? I heard it's great, and I will probably get the special edition with the DVD (only $16 at my local shop).

I've got the CD of this and it's awesome.  I love it.

I really wanted to see them on this tour, but I couldn't swing it so I had to settle for the CD.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #626 on: July 23, 2012, 09:38:26 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but I perceive a much bigger difference between Dr. Hee and Reality Check than I do Reality Check and X.  In other words, the new album is cool, but don't see as big a change in style.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #627 on: July 23, 2012, 10:42:26 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but I perceive a much bigger difference between Dr. Hee and Reality Check than I do Reality Check and X.  In other words, the new album is cool, but don't see as big a change in style.

I'm not Tribal Tech expert. The new album just seemed different than the couple of albums I've heard from them.

Offline lumpy33

« Reply #628 on: July 23, 2012, 08:37:50 PM »
i'll have to check out the new tribal tech.

i was at the return to forever reunion tour a few summers back when they first got going.  it was only their third live performance or something, and it was killin'.  ponty got a bit too much solo time and gambale not enough in my opinion, but the band was tight.

going further back in the thread, i much prefer mehldau to jarrett.  brad's new cd ode is very good, but is a more challenging listen than his earlier stuff.  art of the trio vol. 1 and vol. 4 are my favorites.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #629 on: August 02, 2012, 01:25:06 AM »
I don't know why it took me so long, but I FINALLY started listening to Jaco's solo stuff, and I love it. The Jaco Pastorius record is definitely right up my alley. I think I took such a liking to it because Herbie Hancock is on it, and I really dig his stuff. Put the two guys together, and DAMN do you get some good stuff. I can't wait to see what else his discography has to offer. Really looking forward to it.
prog sucks