Author Topic: The Jazz Thread  (Read 110861 times)

Offline kirbywelch92

Re: The Jazz Thread
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2010, 03:16:44 PM »
I can't help but feel intimidated by Jazz, I know nearly nothing about it and yet it is possibly the most definitive and diverse genre of music.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2010, 03:18:02 PM »
While I don't know any specific Jazz artists, or all that much about the genre in general, I love smooth jazz. It's just so...soothing.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2010, 03:34:28 PM »
I can't help but feel intimidated by Jazz, I know nearly nothing about it and yet it is possibly the most definitive and diverse genre of music.
Just don't overthink it, I guess. I mean, yes, jazz is massive, but so is rock, if you're looking at it from the outside with little or no real exposure to it. You can't become an expert on a genre overnight, so just work on an album by album, artist by artist basis. I bought my first jazz albums about five or so years ago, and I still barely have 25-30 albums. I'm starting to pick up now, but with jazz, I tend to really take my time.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2010, 09:04:05 PM »
I didnīt get any answers in the favorite drummer thread so Iīll post my question here:

:lol  Good answer!  Most of the best jazz drummers pretty much kill any and all rock drummers, Peart included
Iīve never understood this. Why is jazz drumming considered very complex and technical? Because what I hear from my jazz records (at least classic jazz) seems very simple, straightforward and repetitive. Fusion is more intricate but to my ears itīs at the same level than some prog rock drummers. So the possiblities are: 1. Classic jazz (Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Dave Brubeck, Art Bakley and all that stuff) is not what people refer to when talking about jazz drumming being technical or 2. There is something very complex about jazz drumming that I donīt get, maybe is it too difficult to appreciate the complexity of a guy playing subtlely on a small kit compared to the in-your-face pyrothecnics of NP on his huge kit?

Can anybody enlighten me? Iīve had this question for 5 years and never heard a satisfactory answer.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2010, 08:34:46 AM »
I think that it's about the fact that most people don't understand it. Including me, btw. When I hear a goo jazz drummer from my school (conservatory), I appreciate it, but when I compare it to someone who seems to be a great drummer, I don't see a lot of differences. But the fact that people who know music appreciate it that much, makes me appreciate it, although I don't really understand it.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2010, 08:49:08 AM »
I don't pay close attention to the drumming for the most part, but jazz drumming doesn't seem more complex/intricate/special than any other drumming as far as I can tell

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2010, 09:51:05 AM »
Well, I think the most difficult part is playing along with the bands improvisation. Instead of laying down a 4/4 groove, you are the band leader. You let the band know, by your way of playing when you are changing from the A scheme to the B scheme, or where to put some accents that follows the solo.
It's much more than keeping the tempo, you're the conductor.

That being said, I can't hear the difference between a good jazz drummer and a great one.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2010, 12:42:16 PM »
I think it has to do with intricacies and theory of percussion and it's role in a song, which can be free-flowing and improvised as it goes.  It's much different than just hitting the snare on two and four to fill out the song and keep time, which is the basis of all "pop" drumming (yes, even prog and metal).

Not being a jazz expert, that's the way it seems to me.  I used to play drums, and I like watching drummers of all styles, but jazz drummers just mystify and captivate me.  It's like watching the difference between a child athlete and a professional athlete.  The only "pop" style drummers that remotely capture me in the same way as jazz drummers are Virgil Donati, Vinnie Colaiuta, and Carter Beauford.

Maybe someone more Jazzcentric or a better drummer can explain it better.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2010, 02:57:07 PM »
Thank you very much for the answers, theyīre certainly useful, for what I understand is something more subtle what makes jazz drumming more technical.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2010, 03:02:48 PM »
Definately!

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2010, 06:47:18 PM »
Definately!
I always used to misspell Definitely like that  :lol
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2010, 06:44:28 AM »
I don't even play an instrument, but the way I always figured the jazz drummer thing was that a) a jazz drummer has to, like all jazz musicians, know how to improvise and "feel" his way through a song, which is hard enough when you have an instrument where you can run up and down the scale, but it enters another dimension when you're sitting behind a bunch of cans, and b) as someone said above, he has to do that while simultaneously holding the beat for the rest of the soloists AND not getting in the way of them and their own solos.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2010, 07:20:00 AM »
Definately!
I always used to misspell Definitely like that  :lol

wow, I didn't even know that definately is the wrong way of spelling.
Thanks;)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2010, 07:30:21 AM »
I'm not really into traditional Jazz, but I have always loved stuff like Spyra Gyra. Jay Beckenstein played the sax part on Another Day.(sorry if this has been mentioned in the thread already)
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2010, 07:48:33 AM »
No love for the Dave Brubeck Quartet?

I too am in the category of woefully underexposed, but I have been making an effort to expand my jazz horizons. Just this year, I have added Herbie Hancock - Head Hunter and Miles Davis - Kind of Blue to my small collection that consistes of a few Dave Brubeck CDs (Time Out, At Carnagie Hall, Jazz At Oberlin), some Spyro Gyra, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior, Steely Dan, some of the jazz works of Frank Zappa, Preservation Hall Jazz Band and a few others that are escapting me right now. I will be looking back into this thread to get some more ideas on where to go...

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
I have a best of album of John Coltrane which I really like; any recommendations on where to go from there?

Offline LTE

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2010, 09:09:45 PM »
Started with fusion, and got into trad. jazz.

Still love all of it.

Some of my favorites:

Mahavishnu Orchestra
Return to Forever

(STELLAR musicians in both groups)
Haven't really touched Weather Report, will one day.

Al Di Meola
Allan Holdsworth (breathtaking, hell all of these guys are!)
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Charlie Christian (GREAT jazz licks, underrated)

Pat Martino- Insane story, he was a famous jazz guitarist from his 20s and so on. Around 40 or 50 he had a brain aneurysm and forgot everything. He then RELEARNED everything again, and still makes albums and tours. He's insane, i'd even say hes better after his accident. Crazy thing though, he plays 13 gauge strings, in standard!!!

Pat Metheny

Billy Cobham
Dave Weckl
(both amazing drummers, Cobhams got a more funk-fusion sound and Weckl is got this nice World-Jazz-Fusion-Funk Hybrid thats great.)

John Scofield- another great fusiony guitarist.

I'm not a big fan of that new smooth-vocal jazz either, but Norman Brown is a guitarist who plays sort of the same stuff, just guitar with no vocals, really good chill back music.

Can't forget Wes Montgomery

Here's some youtube clips of some of these guys.

Mahavishnu Orchestra-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujcYw2QTPzM
Return to Forever- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQyNJn1HzvE (From their recent live reunion, GREAT show!, groove starting at 2:00 is killer!!!!)
Al Di Meola- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atz9vzTAUh0 Probably his most rocking song.
Allan Holdsworth- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJF5zB7YcXc   His playing style is possibly the most unique i've ever heard
Miles Davis- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui8x9_WEl1g Favorite Track off of KOB
Pat Martino- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql_bHgaQQZE
Billy Cobham- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1QENfrsPCc grooving song
Dave Weckl- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLMyYToYwuQ
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2010, 10:01:07 PM »
My friends have a jazz quartet group going and they just released their first album on iTunes and Amazon if you wanna check it out!  They're the iQuartet. (yes they, as well as i, are apple fans)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:24:54 PM by juice »

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2010, 11:01:07 PM »
Great list and samples. I know almost all the names and have at least their most single reprsentative work (e.g. RTFīs Romantic Warrior) but I really want to dig more into them. Iīve never heard anything from Holdsworth, Martino, or Scofield, though.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2010, 11:05:24 PM »
I have a best of album of John Coltrane which I really like; any recommendations on where to go from there?
Albums that will probably get mentioned every time:
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
JC - A Love Supreme, My Favorite Things
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out (I strongly recommend this one)
Art Bakley - Moanin

Those are the very classics, I donīt know if thatīs what youīre looking for.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2010, 04:46:10 AM »
Pat Martino- Insane story, he was a famous jazz guitarist from his 20s and so on. Around 40 or 50 he had a brain aneurysm and forgot everything. He then RELEARNED everything again, and still makes albums and tours. He's insane, i'd even say hes better after his accident. Crazy thing though, he plays 13 gauge strings, in standard!!!
This is like the coolest musician story ever.

Offline LTE

« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2010, 05:00:58 AM »
This is like the coolest musician story ever.

I know right?

I just imagine after he learned to like swallow and talk again, his friends and family showed him all of his cds and was like " oh yeah, Pat you were a famous guitarist."

Incredible dedication.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Online antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2010, 09:24:24 PM »
Listening to Bill Evans Trio's Sunday At The Village Vanguard :hat

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2010, 09:50:54 PM »
Albums that will probably get mentioned every time:
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
JC - A Love Supreme, My Favorite Things
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out (I strongly recommend this one)
Art Bakley - Moanin

Those are the very classics, I donīt know if thatīs what youīre looking for.

Thanks, will check them out eventually.  :tup

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2010, 08:44:02 PM »
Modal Jazz is a favourite subgenre for me at the moment.

Online antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2010, 09:20:01 PM »
I've been getting into some modern gypsy-ish jazz. Frank Vignola is a monster.

Offline dedSurroun

• Words To Clear Your Mind
  • Walking Out Of The Machinery
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2010, 11:37:24 PM »
I'm a die-hard jazz fan, so I have to post in this thread.

Some really high-quality albums I've picked up recently, ranging from traditional jazz, through fusion, to world and beyond. Any, and all, of these are solid and should be mandatory listening.

Jason Lindner Now Vs. Now (fusion/rnb/jazz/funk - 2009 album of the year all categories & genres)
Robert Glasper Double Booked (jazz & hip-hop)
Return To Forever Returns (live album from recent world tour)
Chick Corea & John McLaughlin Five Peace Band (jazz/fusion, HOLY SHIT)
Terence Blanchard Flow (modern traditional - yeah, I know, and fucking brilliant)
Kenny Garrett Beyond The Wall (in the spirit of Coltrane, more traditional but damn fine)
Christian McBride Live @ Tonic (fusion/jazz/jam - Terreon Gully on drums is worth listening to alone)
Keith Jarrett Testament (live improvised solo album that tears you apart, in mind and heart)
EST Leucocyte (post-rock jazz, really something else)
And now I've only habits left
to break

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2010, 12:04:54 AM »
Return To Forever Returns (live album from recent world tour)
Chick Corea & John McLaughlin Five Peace Band (jazz/fusion, HOLY SHIT)
Iīve got this two albums, those really impressive all-star line-ups putting a live performance grabbed my attention but... I havenīt had time to listen to it yet.

I was listening to Kenny Burrell last night and I liked him, those guitar + sax leads are awesome.

But once and again I get the impression that the jazz I have is very samey, the structure of the songs is very similar, they all have those mid tempo repeated sax melodies, long piano solos (that are all very similar, or is it in my ears?), then a short bass solo, the drumming is the same in all songs. I donīt want to sound too simplistic but I donīt know, Iīm still looking for more variety.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2010, 05:36:24 AM »
Came back to the thread to tell everyone to listen to "Rose Room" by Benny Goodman.  It has quickly become one of my favorite swing songs.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2010, 06:50:27 AM »
Benny Goodman is the man

Online antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2010, 11:08:52 AM »
NPR has a great Jazz Profiles program. It's really well done and you can download it as a podcast; I would check it out!

Online antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2010, 06:53:29 PM »
I urge you guys to check out Frank Vignola & Tommy Emmanuel's In Between Frets record. It's just Frank and Tommy with acoustic guitars and a bassist. Good shit.

Edit: here's a clip of them playing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvNuigQrFM8
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 09:17:32 PM by antigoon »

Offline dedSurroun

• Words To Clear Your Mind
  • Walking Out Of The Machinery
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2010, 09:16:31 PM »
Iīm still looking for more variety.
Any, or most, of the albums I mentioned above (and you have two of them - awesome) should give you more variety. I understand what you're talking about regarding structure - and yes, most traditional (or, straight-ahead) jazz have similar structure, but there's a ton of jazz out there that's very different.

Checkout https://www.allaboutjazz.com for some ideas, reviews, and so on.
And now I've only habits left
to break

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2010, 02:46:39 AM »
I can't believe no one has mentioned the great Frank Gambale.  An amazing Aussie fusion jazz guitarist who is one of the fastest sweepers in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkjv5DyZ5pk&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjyqMZKeaPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH8EbI89xgE
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2010, 09:30:01 PM »
I urge you guys to check out Frank Vignola & Tommy Emmanuel's In Between Frets record. It's just Frank and Tommy with acoustic guitars and a bassist. Good shit.

Edit: here's a clip of them playing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvNuigQrFM8

Wow I really liked that! Seem like really cool guys too
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />