Author Topic: The Jazz Thread  (Read 110582 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: The Jazz Thread
« Reply #140 on: December 09, 2010, 06:48:55 PM »
i love almost all types of jazz. recent favorites have been Victor Wooten's solo albums, Squarepusher, Five Peace Band, Richard Bona, Vital Tech Tones, and Jaga Jazzist

nothing traditional, or acoustic. just havent been in the mood.

would it be appropriate to start a jazz-rock/jazz-fusion thread? there is so much out there that a whole new thread could support it.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: December 09, 2010, 06:51:01 PM »
No this thread should be more massive :laugh: so post it all in here!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #142 on: December 09, 2010, 06:57:44 PM »

haha very well. i remember the jazz thread on prog archives reached like 35 pages or something like that. And that thread died like 2 years ago. it just became people posting album covers of their favorite albums after a while.

i wont do that, but for those of you who like fusion like i do; id like to show you guys a bassist i found out about when i was new to jazz way back in 2005. His name is Steve Jenkins

https://www.stevejenkinsbass.com/fr_home.cfm

go to 'audio' and listen to "zeta riticuli"

he has another song called "watch where you point that thing" from the same album, which is even cooler, but it's not available to stream  :-[

i recommend getting his album "Mad Science". It's one of the best modern jazz-fusion albums of this decade, and there's a sick cover of Herbie Hancock's "Actual Proof" at the end (IMO, a better and funkier version that HH's original) 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:05:06 PM by darkshade »

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #143 on: December 09, 2010, 07:24:52 PM »
We should get PlaysLikeMyung to add something like "(including Jazz Fusion/Jazz Rock)" at the end of the thread title.

haha very well. i remember the jazz thread on prog archives reached like 35 pages or something like that. And that thread died like 2 years ago. it just became people posting album covers of their favorite albums after a while.

i wont do that, but for those of you who like fusion like i do; id like to show you guys a bassist i found out about when i was new to jazz way back in 2005. His name is Steve Jenkins

he has another song called "watch where you point that thing" from the same album, which is even cooler, but it's not available to stream  :-[

i recommend getting his album "Mad Science". It's one of the best modern jazz-fusion albums of this decade, and there's a sick cover of Herbie Hancock's "Actual Proof" at the end (IMO, a better and funkier version that HH's original) 
This guy's quite a gun. But damn it, I can't find Mad Science anywhere online. Every now and then I like me some JFusion.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #144 on: December 09, 2010, 07:43:22 PM »
We should get PlaysLikeMyung to add something like "(including Jazz Fusion/Jazz Rock)" at the end of the thread title.

he has another song called "watch where you point that thing" from the same album, which is even cooler, but it's not available to stream  :-[

This guy's quite a gun. But damn it, I can't find Mad Science anywhere online. Every now and then I like me some JFusion.

you can get it through his website, or iTunes, i believe. i would get if i were you.

"orange" is also a great track, very 70s-ish feeling with the instruments, but it reminds me of being on a college campus in 2005/2006

i agree, the thread title should be ammended. But then who knows who's gonna complain. "what about bebop, cool, swing, or avant-jazz, or whatever...

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: December 09, 2010, 07:51:10 PM »
Well jazz in general means all kinds of it, whereas jazz rock and jazz fusion are a bit different as a whole.

But whoa man, Orange reminds me of something from Santana's Caravanserai which obviously feels 70s like  you said. And I just don't want the song, I want the whole album dude :(.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #146 on: December 09, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
Well jazz in general means all kinds of it, whereas jazz rock and jazz fusion are a bit different as a whole.

But whoa man, Orange reminds me of something from Santana's Caravanserai which obviously feels 70s like  you said. And I just don't want the song, I want the whole album dude :(.

can you not use iTunes? or order through his website? (if you wanted a hard copy)

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2010, 08:42:02 PM »

can you not use iTunes? or order through his website? (if you wanted a hard copy)

Which bitrate is it in? I'll get it in MP3 if it's higher than 192 maybe.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2010, 08:43:25 PM »

Pretty much everything iTunes sells is in 256 AAC.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: December 09, 2010, 08:53:18 PM »

I was looking over here https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/stevejenkins

Offline darkshade

« Reply #150 on: December 09, 2010, 08:57:28 PM »

But whoa man, Orange reminds me of something from Santana's Caravanserai which obviously feels 70s like  you said. And I just don't want the song, I want the whole album dude :(.

EDIT: my whole post got messed up

anyway...

i got mine off itunes, and its just like MetalManiac said. Excellent quality.

CDBaby is a great too of course

btw, what is it about jazz-fusion, that instantly hits you? it's like, you know its awesome from the get-go, probably because of serious bass, or a great groove. It's not that its catchy or anything, but the only word i can think of is, Bumpin'  :loser:

and im talking tracks like RTF - "Sorceress", Herbie Hancock - "Palm Grease", Victor Wooten - "HipBop", etc...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 09:04:12 PM by darkshade »

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: December 09, 2010, 09:23:39 PM »

But whoa man, Orange reminds me of something from Santana's Caravanserai which obviously feels 70s like  you said. And I just don't want the song, I want the whole album dude :(.

EDIT: my whole post got messed up

anyway...

i got mine off itunes, and its just like MetalManiac said. Excellent quality.

CDBaby is a great too of course

btw, what is it about jazz-fusion, that instantly hits you? it's like, you know its awesome from the get-go, probably because of serious bass, or a great groove. It's not that its catchy or anything, but the only word i can think of is, Bumpin'  :loser:

and im talking tracks like RTF - "Sorceress", Herbie Hancock - "Palm Grease", Victor Wooten - "HipBop", etc...

I don't know man. I really like the grooving and funky essence in it. I'm not big on jazz fusion, but after hearing Zappa's Hot Rats again today, I like how it makes you feel like "a cool motherfucker". The guitar soloing sounds so great because it reminds me of psychedelic stuff too, I'm gonna try improvising in that style tonight. I'll be plugging in my uni-vibe effect on my shitty Boss V-Wah, but also using my VOX Classic wah wah with it so I can trip the fuck out in my mind and enjoy what I hear. Powerful sound can you knock you the fuck out. It's just fucking cool. :D :laugh:

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #152 on: December 10, 2010, 05:00:36 AM »
Negroni's Trio

everything I hear from this band is excellent. Their drummer, well, he's amazing, simply put. But he's a Jazz drummer, so go figure.

I seriously may start to go apeshit over this band soon, damn.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #153 on: December 10, 2010, 10:13:24 AM »
Negroni's Trio

everything I hear from this band is excellent. Their drummer, well, he's amazing, simply put. But he's a Jazz drummer, so go figure.

got any youtube clips? samples? what do you recommend?

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #154 on: December 10, 2010, 10:38:54 AM »
I have a (possibly stupid) question.

How are jazz musicians paid? Are they paid a percentage of sales of the album, or a lump sum for the studio session? Does the band leader get more because he's the leader, and his name's on the cover?

The reason I ask is that often, cuts from one studio session are (or at least were) used on a whole series of albums, sometimes mixed with other sessions on the same album, so to me, it would make more sense that the label releasing the music just pays the musicians per session rather than per albums sold on which that musician appears. Not to mention cases like, for example, Bag's Groove, the Miles Davis album where Monk appears on one track.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #155 on: December 10, 2010, 10:56:11 AM »

How are jazz musicians paid? Are they paid a percentage of sales of the album, or a lump sum for the studio session? Does the band leader get more because he's the leader, and his name's on the cover?

The reason I ask is that often, cuts from one studio session are (or at least were) used on a whole series of albums, sometimes mixed with other sessions on the same album, so to me, it would make more sense that the label releasing the music just pays the musicians per session rather than per albums sold on which that musician appears. Not to mention cases like, for example, Bag's Groove, the Miles Davis album where Monk appears on one track.

i dont know how it is nowadays, but i believe back in the 40s, 50s and 60s, that the musicians were paid per session. Perhaps record sales too, depending on how many copies were sold. but i dont know how it works now.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #156 on: December 10, 2010, 11:15:42 AM »
Negroni's Trio

got any youtube clips? samples? what do you recommend?

go 34 seconds-in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2adbrxNUD8

there's more clips on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=negroni%27s+trio&aq=f

I just checked out their new album "Just Three" today, and there's some really great work on it, maybe the 8 minute closing track "Sabado en la Noche"

I have got to checkout their back catalog soon, including 1 record being a live album.

https://www.negronistrio.com

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #157 on: December 10, 2010, 12:56:03 PM »

This is a good question. I have no idea and would like to know. I'm not sure if it's still a "by-session" thing...

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #158 on: December 13, 2010, 08:54:20 PM »
I'm going to guess back then that the record labels made most of the money as far as record sales and royalties are concerned.

Don't know if this qualifies here, but I just had a chance this weekend to listen to the Greg Howe, Victor Wooten, Dennis Chambers album Extraction I bought a while back.

I thought it was pretty good, but somehow I was expecting more.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #159 on: December 14, 2010, 11:32:30 AM »
John Patitucci played with the big band at my former university last night. Pretty awesome to see him, even if some of the band was eh.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #160 on: December 28, 2010, 09:25:57 AM »
Okay, notes on the jazz albums I've bought recently, in vague order of preference:

Shakti - Shakti with John McLaughlin - this was one of those very rare albums which, right from the first listen, felt destined to become one of my favourite albums. I can see this getting very high in my rankings. One of the best jazz albums I've ever heard (if you can even call it jazz), and probably one of the best albums I've ever heard overall.

Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch - love it. Quirky and interesting. Has both Freddie Hubbard and Tony Williams, my favourite jazz trumpet player and drummer, and also has the bass player from Van Morrison's Astral Weeks.

Herbie Hancock - Headhunters - very cool album. It was a bit different to what I expected at first, but once I got used to how grounded it was, I really started enjoying it. The first three tracks are all brilliant, though the fourth does little for me at this stage.

Shakti - Natural Elements - amazing album. Strongly Indian influenced music, which, if anyone pays much attention, is very much my thing.

Miles Davis - Milestones - considering this comes between Round About Midnight and Kind of Blue, it's a surprisingly fast, hard jazz album. I've only given this a few listens, but there's a lot of variety on the album, and it sounds very good.

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage - I'm not as keen on this album as I was Empyrean Isles, but since that's one of my favourite jazz albums, that's not the biggest deal. Quite a good album. Maiden Voyage and Little One are awesome tracks, and Survival of the Fittest is pretty great too.

John Coltrane - My Favourite Things - like I did with Giant Steps, I've been umming and aahing on this. I still need to give it some more time, but I don't like it anywhere near as much as Blue Train and ALS at the moment. For a start, the title track feels a little tacky to me. After that, I really like the second track, but I have the same problem with the third and fourth tracks that I had with some of Giant Steps: while good, the soloing feels a bit too focussed on technicality and not enough on listenability for my tastes. However, both are growing on me, so we'll see how it goes. I can see myself growing a bit closer to this album than to Giant Steps in the long run.

Miles Davis - Round About Midnight - considering this is hyped as an early classic, I was hugely disappointed. Still quite a good album, but very sleepy, especially since it carries the tag of hard-bop, and try as I might, I just can't get into muted trumpet very much.

Keith Jarrett - Facing You - like RAM for Miles, this album is labelled an early classic of Jarrett's, but it's fairly dull. A few very good tracks, but overall, this album has almost none of the brilliance of his solo concerts.

I also have these albums which I'm still yet to listen to (I like to give albums a bit of time to breathe as new purchases before I move on to others):

Miles Davis - Miles Ahead
Miles Davis - Porgy and Bess
Miles Davis – 1958 Miles
Miles Davis - A Tribute to Jack Johnson
John Coltrane – Ascension
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers – A Night in Tunisia

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #161 on: December 28, 2010, 11:30:24 AM »
Fluffy I've got through most of the Miles Davis you recommended me thus far, which was great because my mum had a lot of it on vinyl! It's all sort of massed together in my mind at the minute, but Bitches' Brew is probably my favourite, even over Kind Of Blue now. I'll listen to all of them more for a while and then move on to your next recommendations, thanks very much for this list as it's making jazz less daunting (although still easily the most daunting genre  :lol)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #162 on: December 28, 2010, 12:05:24 PM »
Sweet. I still haven't heard everything on that list myself (I mean from the Miles but obviously in general too, there's a lot of stuff on there).

The weird thing is, although all things indicate that I like Miles' later fusion/funk stuff far more than his early stuff, I've heard much more early Miles than late. It's just ended up that way so far, I've stumbled across a lot of his earlier albums for very cheap.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #163 on: December 28, 2010, 10:23:32 PM »
Okay, notes on the jazz albums I've bought recently, in vague order of preference:

Shakti - Shakti with John McLaughlin - this was one of those very rare albums which, right from the first listen, felt destined to become one of my favourite albums. I can see this getting very high in my rankings. One of the best jazz albums I've ever heard (if you can even call it jazz), and probably one of the best albums I've ever heard overall.

Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch - love it. Quirky and interesting. Has both Freddie Hubbard and Tony Williams, my favourite jazz trumpet player and drummer, and also has the bass player from Van Morrison's Astral Weeks.

Herbie Hancock - Headhunters - very cool album. It was a bit different to what I expected at first, but once I got used to how grounded it was, I really started enjoying it. The first three tracks are all brilliant, though the fourth does little for me at this stage.

Shakti - Natural Elements - amazing album. Strongly Indian influenced music, which, if anyone pays much attention, is very much my thing.

Miles Davis - Milestones - considering this comes between Round About Midnight and Kind of Blue, it's a surprisingly fast, hard jazz album. I've only given this a few listens, but there's a lot of variety on the album, and it sounds very good.

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage - I'm not as keen on this album as I was Empyrean Isles, but since that's one of my favourite jazz albums, that's not the biggest deal. Quite a good album. Maiden Voyage and Little One are awesome tracks, and Survival of the Fittest is pretty great too.

John Coltrane - My Favourite Things - like I did with Giant Steps, I've been umming and aahing on this. I still need to give it some more time, but I don't like it anywhere near as much as Blue Train and ALS at the moment. For a start, the title track feels a little tacky to me. After that, I really like the second track, but I have the same problem with the third and fourth tracks that I had with some of Giant Steps: while good, the soloing feels a bit too focussed on technicality and not enough on listenability for my tastes. However, both are growing on me, so we'll see how it goes. I can see myself growing a bit closer to this album than to Giant Steps in the long run.

Miles Davis - Round About Midnight - considering this is hyped as an early classic, I was hugely disappointed. Still quite a good album, but very sleepy, especially since it carries the tag of hard-bop, and try as I might, I just can't get into muted trumpet very much.

Keith Jarrett - Facing You - like RAM for Miles, this album is labelled an early classic of Jarrett's, but it's fairly dull. A few very good tracks, but overall, this album has almost none of the brilliance of his solo concerts.

I also have these albums which I'm still yet to listen to (I like to give albums a bit of time to breathe as new purchases before I move on to others):

Miles Davis - Miles Ahead
Miles Davis - Porgy and Bess
Miles Davis – 1958 Miles
Miles Davis - A Tribute to Jack Johnson
John Coltrane – Ascension
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers – A Night in Tunisia

these are all fine albums. my favorites that youve heard would be Shatki - with JMcL, Headhunters (do get the follow-up, Thrust, the better album of the 2), and Maiden Voyage. My favorites of the ones you havent heard are Miles Ahead, A Tribute to Jack Johnson, Ascension (a little hard to get into, but well worth it), and A Night in Tunisia. all great albums!

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #164 on: December 28, 2010, 10:48:29 PM »
I still need A Tribute To Jack Johnson and Porgy & Bess.

Fluffy, you will like Ascension if loud or noisy jazz is one of your thing.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #165 on: December 29, 2010, 02:34:49 AM »

I know what you mean. I think "Invocations - The Moth and the Flame" is his best studio album. Still, the solo concerts are where he really shines.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #166 on: December 29, 2010, 03:39:12 AM »
(do get the follow-up, Thrust, the better album of the 2)
Yeah, I had this in mind. I may go backwards and try out the albums before it first, even though I've heard they're very different. But I really like HH, so I'll be looking into a lot of his stuff.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to Ascension, but I wanted to give My Favorite Things a bit of time first. Plus, from what I've read, it might be a good idea to get Coleman's Free Jazz and check that out first.

I think "Invocations - The Moth and the Flame" is his best studio album.
I'll have to remember this. I know vaguely where to head with his live solo stuff and his quartets, but his studio stuff is difficult.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #167 on: December 29, 2010, 04:02:23 AM »
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to Ascension, but I wanted to give My Favorite Things a bit of time first. Plus, from what I've read, it might be a good idea to get Coleman's Free Jazz and check that out first.
I should've picked up Free Jazz. Damn... Now it's on my mind and I will get it ASAP. (which is like early next week unfortunately)

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #168 on: December 29, 2010, 07:50:46 AM »
I know this is as mainstream as it gets, but I'm getting into Bitches' Brew now on Fluffy's and other recommendations and JESUS CHRIST, it's superb. And incredibly atmospheric. My only complaint is that it's so long and I feel I have to listen to it in one go it's hard to find a quiet 90 minutes to do so.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #169 on: December 29, 2010, 01:19:25 PM »
So Ken Burns' Jazz is available streaming on Netflix. I think Wynton Marsalis is kind of a douchebag, but I've always wanted to watch this documentary series.

Also, I posted this a few pages back, but it didn't get any replies. I really think you guys would like it, though It's the Frank Vignola Quintet playing their song, "Luke." The playing is out of this world, especially the mandolin player. I guess you could say it's modern gypsy jazz, though I'm not sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYvOxcjLu1I&playnext=1&list=PL1FC2A7C3E0A9C55D&index=13

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: December 29, 2010, 04:59:20 PM »
I know this is as mainstream as it gets, but I'm getting into Bitches' Brew now on Fluffy's and other recommendations and JESUS CHRIST, it's superb. And incredibly atmospheric. My only complaint is that it's so long and I feel I have to listen to it in one go it's hard to find a quiet 90 minutes to do so.

Who cares, the mainstream stuff is the stuff you need first and most of it is better than lesser known. At least in jazz as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #171 on: December 29, 2010, 05:17:05 PM »
I'd say that's the case with pretty much all music. It's just as silly to dismiss the mainstream classics as it is the lesser known artists and albums.

Bitches Brew is yummy.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #172 on: December 29, 2010, 08:44:47 PM »
Posting once again to say how much of a god Pat Metheny is.

He can make one hell of an album all by himself (Orchestrion. A work of art, it is)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #173 on: December 30, 2010, 09:52:11 AM »
Got paid today, and as much as I maybe shouldn't have, I went straight out and bought Free Jazz.

edit: Aaaaaaaand what the fuck, the CD I bought is defective. The whole thing is just muffled static.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:17:46 PM by Fluffy Lothario »

Offline Neurasthenic

« Reply #174 on: December 30, 2010, 11:54:55 AM »
Posting once again to say how much of a god Pat Metheny is.

He can make one hell of an album all by himself (Orchestrion. A work of art, it is)

:tup

I read somewhere (newsletter I think) that he planned to record another solo album next year. If it's anythng like New Chautauqua or Quiet Night it's going to be great, but then again Pat considers Orchestrion to be a solo record too so you never know. I'm excited.