Author Topic: Official KISS thread  (Read 49396 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Official KISS thread
« Reply #595 on: March 03, 2023, 08:03:15 AM »
All I know is, for Metallica, I got a 2-night ticket at MetLife Stadium for $180.  If KISS is charging more than that just because it's their "last" show, they can go fuck themselves!  I've given them $1000's over the years.  They were my first favorite band, quite possibly still my favorite.  And, they were my very first concert, at MSG, almost 38 years ago to the day of the "last" show.  I'd be severely disappointed if they went for one last cash grab.
I kind of don't get this attitude at all.

If they are to be believed, it's their last show ever.  Why shouldn't they charge big prices if they can get them?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #596 on: March 03, 2023, 08:31:08 AM »
It’s because they can’t be believed.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Deathless

« Reply #597 on: March 03, 2023, 08:38:36 AM »
Will these be the final Kiss shows ever, or the final shows of this lineup? Paul and Gene seemed to discuss having the band continue without them significantly more a few years ago, but that talk seems to have died down.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #598 on: March 03, 2023, 10:01:31 AM »
If you don't believe them, then you definitely shouldn't pay that price.

But assuming they are telling the truth, why shouldn't they charge those prices for one last megahaul?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #599 on: March 03, 2023, 12:09:04 PM »
In any given situation, I always assume KISS are looking to wring every last dollar they can out of it. 

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #600 on: March 03, 2023, 03:09:06 PM »
THIS!!! 

I've already heard them say that they probably won't be the last shows they play.  Just possibly the last "tour".  People are assuming it's only a matter of time before the Vegas residency.  Plus, the last 10-20 years have basically been one big cash grab anyway.  That's how long it's been since they've made any significant changes to the setlist.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #601 on: March 04, 2023, 07:25:46 PM »
THIS!!! 

I've already heard them say that they probably won't be the last shows they play.  Just possibly the last "tour".  People are assuming it's only a matter of time before the Vegas residency.  Plus, the last 10-20 years have basically been one big cash grab anyway.  That's how long it's been since they've made any significant changes to the setlist.

Yeah, there's really no reason to think the MSG shows will be the last shows.  Just the end of the tour and they'll probably continue to do shows here and there.  It's why I'd like to go, but I won't pay crazy money for it.  If I never see them again, I will be OK with that.  It's not worth that much to me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #602 on: March 06, 2023, 07:24:46 AM »
THIS!!! 

Yeah, there's really no reason to think the MSG shows will be the last shows.  Just the end of the tour and they'll probably continue to do shows here and there.  It's why I'd like to go, but I won't pay crazy money for it.  If I never see them again, I will be OK with that.  It's not worth that much to me.

This is kind of me. 

I'm not just saying this because it's Kiss - though everyone knows how much I like them, and I'm firmly in the "Gene and Paul" camp when it comes to the nonsense about Ace and Peter - but I just don't care that much about holding these 70+ year old artists to some arbitrary standard of what "Final" means.  Kiss especially; they have always - ALWAYS - been the band that not only plays Madison Square Garden, but also plays Davenport, Iowa.  They've expressly made it a point to play EVERYWHERE.  They did Hartford Civic Center AND they'd come back and play New Haven Coliseum.   I can absolutely understand Paul not wanting to haul his ass out of bed and do two months touring the mid-West at 6,000 seat arenas 50 miles from the nearest airport or whatever.  They are a notorious TOURING band; they've ALWAYS been on tour, regardless of what the name is.  I can absolutely see them - and I would support them 1,000 percent - if they trotted out "Kiss" for events. Las Vegas, awards shows, that kind of thing.   I kinda wish more bands would do that, honestly.   

There's a whole line of criticism (I'm looking at YOU, Eddie Trunk) that continually rakes them over the coals for their "Final Tour" in 2000-whatever (the last one with Ace and Peter together) and I don't at all fault Paul for what he said:  "we started playing with Tommy and Eric and it was a new thing, and was fun again".  I don't expect Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons to walk away from the behemoth THEY created (in large part together, before Ace and Peter ever came on board) because the other two wouldn't or couldn't put in the effort.  That's silly. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #603 on: March 07, 2023, 02:09:17 AM »
My understanding, is that Black Sabbath basically did the same thing with The End tour.  It was the last tour, but they never said it would be the last show.  Although it may end up having been the last show (due to Ozzy's health), no one should be shocked if they played a one off show or something. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #604 on: March 07, 2023, 09:46:33 AM »
My understanding, is that Black Sabbath basically did the same thing with The End tour.  It was the last tour, but they never said it would be the last show.  Although it may end up having been the last show (due to Ozzy's health), no one should be shocked if they played a one off show or something.

:metal :metal :metal

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #605 on: March 07, 2023, 10:01:57 AM »
There's a whole line of criticism (I'm looking at YOU, Eddie Trunk) that continually rakes them over the coals for their "Final Tour" in 2000-whatever (the last one with Ace and Peter together) and I don't at all fault Paul for what he said:  "we started playing with Tommy and Eric and it was a new thing, and was fun again".  I don't expect Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons to walk away from the behemoth THEY created (in large part together, before Ace and Peter ever came on board) because the other two wouldn't or couldn't put in the effort.  That's silly.

I saw that tour.  It was my first time seeing Kiss and you're right - they came to my college town for an arena show.  Not just showing up in Chicago proper, but driving 2.5 hours south to Champaign.  I had 7th row seats, and I can say that I saw the original lineup.  I'm not sure if I still have that tour shirt though - I loved that they printed event shirts for every city, so you could walk out with a shirt that had only your town's name on it.  "Kiss came to MY town!"

I pretty much agree with your full post and Cram's - they could certainly stop taking the band on a large scale tour and do festivals or residencies and I wouldn't criticism them.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: March 30, 2023, 01:40:53 PM »
Sooo Ace is going to spill the beans on Paul and Gene if he doesn't get an apology from Paul in 7 days?  :rollin

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/ace-frehley-demands-apology-paul-stanley/

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #607 on: March 30, 2023, 01:43:21 PM »
Those guys are always entertaining, I'll give them that.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #608 on: March 30, 2023, 01:44:13 PM »
Sooo Ace is going to spill the beans on Paul and Gene if he doesn't get an apology from Paul in 7 days?  :rollin

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/ace-frehley-demands-apology-paul-stanley/

And I STILL wouldn't be shocked to see them all on stage by the end of the year.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Glasser

« Reply #609 on: April 08, 2023, 07:45:02 PM »
I didn't realize the life and death of Mark St. John was this sad. (Wiki is the source).  :'(

"Beginning on September 14, 2006, St. John was incarcerated for several days at Theo Lacy Jail in Orange County, California, after being charged with possession of unspecified drug paraphernalia, attempted destruction of evidence, and resisting arrest. He was initially housed at the facility's D Barracks, a medium-security dormitory for nonviolent offenders. He was later moved to F-West Barracks after telling guards he had stolen crackers from another inmate's property box and was in fear for his safety. A guard allegedly conspired with a group of inmates to have St. John assaulted for the transgression, and subsequently St. John was brutally beaten and stabbed with pencils by a group of up to 20 inmates. The guard was later placed on paid leave pending an investigation into this and other violent incidents inside the jail. In an interview with the OC Weekly, a fellow inmate described St. John's encounter:

He got caught stealing something. I guess he did that somewhere else in the jail, but we found out about it somehow. . . . The Kiss guy got beat up pretty bad.

His girlfriend, who said he was unrecognizable after the vicious beating, believed the incident was directly responsible for his untimely death several months later. A couple of days before the beating, St. John told her that he had "snitched" on a drug dealer several years earlier, and he believed he was certain to be attacked if this became known by the other inmates.

For the next several months after leaving Theo Lacy Jail, St. John suffered severe headaches and body aches and many times told his girlfriend that the chronic ailments were absolutely the result of the beating at Theo Lacy. While it is not known what medical attention he received inside the jail, after his release he refused to see a doctor due to having no medical insurance, and thus his health deteriorated. St. John died on April 5, 2007, due to what the coroner described as a brain hemorrhage brought on by an accidental overdose of methamphetamine.

Friends claimed that St. John was never the same after the beating and would not discuss his brief time at Theo Lacy Jail. Another friend stated that St. John fell deep into depression and drug addiction after being released, selling all his outfits, and mowing lawns and doing roofing to afford a drug habit that spiraled out of control."
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 08:17:08 PM by Glasser »

Offline coz

« Reply #610 on: December 05, 2023, 12:11:54 AM »
My brother, who is a huge KISS nerd, sent me this meme today and it cracked me up.   :lol
Anyone who saw the final show on Saturday should get it.

~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #611 on: December 05, 2023, 03:52:17 AM »
I was more pissed about how grainy the video was. In this day and age it couldn't be in HD?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mladen

« Reply #612 on: December 05, 2023, 05:28:20 AM »
That Mark St. John truly is tragic. I like his work on Animalize, that's such an underrated record.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #614 on: December 05, 2023, 07:39:57 AM »
I love that they apparently gave no explanation as to exactly how they plan on using the new CGI Kiss. Are they touring? What is their purpose?
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: December 05, 2023, 08:17:00 AM »
I was trying to go to one fo the two shows last weekend, if I could score cheap tickets.  The Friday show went as low as $50 bucks, but I probbly would have missed the beginning at that point.  I didn't see Saturday go below $200 which isn't terrible for Kiss's last show, but who knows if it truly is their last show.  I kind of believe them for the last tour, but last show?  Let's see about that.  But I'm glad I didn't pay to see the show.  It was the exact same show they've been doing.  You'd think maybe they'd do something special for the final show, but I guess not. I'm also just not a big enough Kiss fan at the end of the day.  It seems everyone who did go had a blast, so good for them.  Seeing so many of my favorite artists share stories about Kiss was pretty cool though. Kiss gets a lot of shit, but they clearly had a musical impact on almost all my favorite bands.

As for the Avatar thing.  I assume they want to go the Abba route.  I have no interest in that, and I think Abba is a bit of a different example since they haven't been around in like forever.  Maybe the Kiss avatar shows will be cool in say 2050 long after their final concert in 2023 and when a generation of people have become adults who never got to see Kiss.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: December 05, 2023, 08:20:32 AM »
Yeah these avatars aren't really meant for us, they're for the next generations to enjoy many years in the future. Paul has often said that Kiss as a "band" will live on long after both he and Gene are gone.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #617 on: December 05, 2023, 08:46:09 AM »
I love that they apparently gave no explanation as to exactly how they plan on using the new CGI Kiss. Are they touring? What is their purpose?

I think the use is endless.  This is what the press release said:

Per Sundin, CEO of Pophouse Entertainment, told the Associated Press this new technology allows KISS to continue their legacy for "eternity." He explained: "KISS could have a concert in three cities in the same night across three different continents. That's what you could do with this."

Simmons previously talked about KISS's future plans last month in an interview with 519 Magazine. At the time, he said: "This tour is the end of the road for the band, not the brand. KISS is a universe of its own — movies, merchandise, maybe even Broadway. The band will end, but the KISS experience… it's immortal."

He added: "The KISS show will live on in different ways. Yes, that's being planned. It'll also be four to ten different traveling shows. So, you'll be able to be in Japan and have Japanese actors, musicians being us, and at the same time you could go to Vegas or New York or London."

I think it's a way for the band to trademark themselves and live on into the future.  They've already trademarked the facial makeup, but now it's a full trademarked character. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #618 on: December 05, 2023, 09:21:52 AM »
I was trying to go to one fo the two shows last weekend, if I could score cheap tickets.  The Friday show went as low as $50 bucks, but I probbly would have missed the beginning at that point.  I didn't see Saturday go below $200 which isn't terrible for Kiss's last show, but who knows if it truly is their last show.  I kind of believe them for the last tour, but last show?  Let's see about that.  But I'm glad I didn't pay to see the show.  It was the exact same show they've been doing.  You'd think maybe they'd do something special for the final show, but I guess not. I'm also just not a big enough Kiss fan at the end of the day.  It seems everyone who did go had a blast, so good for them.  Seeing so many of my favorite artists share stories about Kiss was pretty cool though. Kiss gets a lot of shit, but they clearly had a musical impact on almost all my favorite bands.

As for the Avatar thing.  I assume they want to go the Abba route.  I have no interest in that, and I think Abba is a bit of a different example since they haven't been around in like forever.  Maybe the Kiss avatar shows will be cool in say 2050 long after their final concert in 2023 and when a generation of people have become adults who never got to see Kiss.

I AM a big enough Kiss fan, but I agree with you on almost all points.  I toyed with going down but 30 minutes before showtime, floor seats were still at like $900.  I could have been in the bowl for $200, but as much as I love Kiss, I haven't paid $200 to see them, well, ever (even when I took my daughter to see them, we had 16th row and I didn't pay that much).   And while it would have been cool to say "I was there!" (and seeing Kiss in MSG is always special; I saw them there in '96).  I wasn't thrilled with the idea of hearing a year from now that it wasn't the real thing.   

So I sat on my couch, watched the Bruins, and listened to Joe bitch about the Low-Def video. :) :) :) :) :) 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #619 on: December 05, 2023, 09:52:11 AM »
 :lol wait, the video really was poor quality?  That's BS.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #620 on: December 05, 2023, 09:53:37 AM »
Joe’s complaints were high quality though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: December 05, 2023, 09:54:06 AM »
:lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #622 on: December 05, 2023, 10:08:48 AM »

Damn straight they were.  What a fucking rip off! :lol

It was a good show but you can't tell me it at least couldn't be clear, not grainy!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #623 on: December 05, 2023, 10:21:06 AM »
You wanted the best?  Too bad!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: December 05, 2023, 10:27:42 AM »
The got their best $40 out of me.  LOL

Offline coz

« Reply #625 on: December 05, 2023, 12:00:35 PM »
Someone's gotta pay for Shannon's botched face!
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #626 on: December 05, 2023, 12:41:18 PM »

I think the use is endless.  This is what the press release said:

Per Sundin, CEO of Pophouse Entertainment, told the Associated Press this new technology allows KISS to continue their legacy for "eternity." He explained: "KISS could have a concert in three cities in the same night across three different continents. That's what you could do with this."

Simmons previously talked about KISS's future plans last month in an interview with 519 Magazine. At the time, he said: "This tour is the end of the road for the band, not the brand. KISS is a universe of its own — movies, merchandise, maybe even Broadway. The band will end, but the KISS experience… it's immortal."

He added: "The KISS show will live on in different ways. Yes, that's being planned. It'll also be four to ten different traveling shows. So, you'll be able to be in Japan and have Japanese actors, musicians being us, and at the same time you could go to Vegas or New York or London."

I think it's a way for the band to trademark themselves and live on into the future.  They've already trademarked the facial makeup, but now it's a full trademarked character.

Yeah but who's actually playing? is the music recorded live once in stop motion and then played back? is it a cinema like experience or a concert experience? if you go to an actual show what you're gonna see on stage?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: December 05, 2023, 12:49:14 PM »
Someone's gotta pay for Shannon's botched face!

oh SNAP!!!!  :)

Offline Grappler

« Reply #628 on: December 05, 2023, 01:35:43 PM »
Yeah but who's actually playing? is the music recorded live once in stop motion and then played back? is it a cinema like experience or a concert experience? if you go to an actual show what you're gonna see on stage?

My guess is that the musicians would be off-stage and you get the KISS avatars "performing."  So live music to a video.  Or the musicians get to be on stage, maybe in costume(?) and playing along to the avatars.  I think it's lame, but I get what the band is going for.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #629 on: December 05, 2023, 02:49:07 PM »
That Mark St. John truly is tragic. I like his work on Animalize, that's such an underrated record.

100% agree, I love it! Saw them twice on that tour with Bruce Kulick. I remember the first show on that tour I went to, I hear the beginning of Detroit Rock City starting.... The band comes up from behind Eric Carr and I said wait! That's not Mark St. John?!?! I was so confused and bummed as I wasn't  aware of what was going on with Mark. Nonetheless it was an amazing show and Bruce won me over easy.