Author Topic: Official KISS thread  (Read 50090 times)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Re: Official KISS thread?
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2014, 08:10:13 AM »
I remember when Dynasty was just released, there were litterally stacks and rows of KISS Albums in my record store, and most of them were USA printed releases. I mean there were KISS records EVERYWHERE! Which was pretty good, because overall they were a bit cheaper than the european releases and they often had nice extra's like posters and stuff in them. *factory sealed for YOUR protection!* So that was great. Especially the solo-albums were all around sometimes over twenty copies of each album in a row. Later on I found that although the USA prints were nice and had extra's, the european German or Dutch or even French prints were often better quality, even the vinyl was suffinciantly heavier in weight then their USA counterparts.  Also the covers were of a more sturdier cardboard quality, but often the printing itself was a bit duller in comparisson. But it was a great time to become a fan.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2014, 08:11:53 AM »
I remember when Dynasty was just released, there were litterally stacks and rows of KISS Albums in my record store, and most of them were USA printed releases. I mean there were KISS records EVERYWHERE! Which was pretty good, because overall they were a bit cheaper than the european releases and they often had nice extra's like posters and stuff in them. *factory sealed for YOUR protection!* So that was great. Especially the solo-albums were all around sometimes over twenty copies of each album in a row. Later on I found that although the USA prints were nice and had extra's, the european German or Dutch or even French prints were often better quality, even the vinyl was suffinciantly heavier in weight then their USA counterparts.  Also the covers were of a more sturdier cardboard quality, but often the printing itself was a bit duller in comparisson. But it was a great time to become a fan.

And in Peter's case, sometimes over fifty.  :rollin

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2014, 09:27:51 AM »
LOL...in Gene's case...60  :rollin
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2014, 09:42:22 AM »
Yeah, that's a tough call which one was worse.  Obviously I took to Ace's, 1) because Ace is awesome and 2) because it rocked the most.  It took a while, but Paul's grew on me and I do think it's pretty good.  The other two, I've never given more than two listens, I don't think.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2014, 09:45:44 AM »
As sucky as Gene's could be, Peter Criss loses automatically because he's Peter Criss.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2014, 09:52:43 AM »
As sucky as Gene's could be, Peter Criss loses automatically because he's Peter Criss.

Poor Peter never can catch a break.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2014, 12:08:53 PM »
You know what? I actually liked Peter's album!  :omg: I love that little edge he has on his voice. Paul's was the best in my oppinion, followed by Ace's. Gene's was just too scattered, too 'Disney' for me.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2014, 12:53:56 PM »
Ace
Paul
Gene
Peter

I still blast Paul & Ace's CD's all the time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2014, 01:48:51 PM »
I don't mind Gene's album. I like the quieter tracks. I never did like See You I Your Dreams and his version is no better.

Peter's album was a disappointment . I like his voice but the songs and style were crap. I do like I Can't Stop The Rain though.

I loved the covers and spent hours drawing them in pastels for my wall.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2014, 02:26:46 PM »
"See You Tonight" from Unplugged was pretty cool though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2014, 02:32:37 PM »
Ace's outsold Paul's (and the others) by a long way too which surprised me.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2014, 03:18:46 PM »
Yeah it works perfectly in that setting.

I always found Ace's to be kind of progressive.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2014, 03:57:59 PM »
Yeah it works perfectly in that setting.

I always found Ace's to be kind of progressive.

Just a shame he wasted his talent. As they often do.
And calling his autobiography No Regrets shows how big a tool he is. He should have plenty of regrets.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2014, 04:08:52 PM »
I just got that book for Christmas. 

As TAC and I have talked over the years, many of Ace's show were delayed and I can only imagine how they stood him up on stage but he still rocked!  His last solo album was awesome.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2014, 07:34:23 PM »
Ace
Paul
Gene
Peter

I still blast Paul & Ace's CD's all the time.

Exactly!!!  Paul's was my favorite, but his and Ace's were both clearly better than the other two and they're the only two I still play.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2014, 08:53:32 PM »
Ace
Paul

Peter

Gene

I'm not a huge fan of any of them though, even Ace's had a lot of meh moments for me. Fractured Mirror is a wonderful track though.
What do you guys think of Ace's other solo albums? While I haven't heard it in a long time, I remember really liking Anomaly when it came out, easily better than Sonic Boom.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2014, 12:23:51 AM »
Anomaly is terrible. Sonic Boom is hugely underrated by KISS fans. Despite many clear derivations from their earlier works (which I actually consider a plus :lol), I think it's easily one of their stronger albums overall.
I'm not as big on Monster, mostly because it feels like an afterthought. Even the cover is just a promo photo of the band with some text slapped on. Still a few good tracks on there though.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2014, 12:42:16 AM »
I just noticed that Hell or Hallelujah is an almost an exact redo of I Stole Your Love
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2014, 12:53:59 AM »
I wouldn't say it's that close, although there's a definitely similarity there. A lot of the last two albums have strong influences from previous songs, especially the Thayer songs, which go for the Shock Me vibe.
I'm ok with them copying themselves. Better than them trying to sound like other bands and ending up with another Carnival of Souls or Unmasked.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2014, 06:16:31 AM »
I thought you'd like the Ace solo album Blob?!  I do agree with the last 2 Kiss records. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2014, 06:25:44 AM »
You should know by know that I'm a fickle man, king. :lol

Giving it another listen right now to see if I've changed my mind.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2014, 08:06:25 AM »
Listened to Anomaly last night to see if I'd missed something first time round. Some decent riffs there but i think the problem is just too much of Ace's voice. It always worked well on KISS albums, and even his Frehley's Comet albums where he had Todd Howarth sing (and write) half the album.
But yeah, won't be bothering with Anomaly again.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2014, 08:15:14 AM »
I still absolutely love the first Frehley's Comet album AND Ace's '78 solo album.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2014, 08:15:58 AM »
I just finished relistening to it. The opening track and the cover song were the only decent ones on there. The rest was pretty bad. My assessment was pretty much the same as yours.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2014, 09:51:19 AM »
Listened to Anomaly last night to see if I'd missed something first time round. Some decent riffs there but i think the problem is just too much of Ace's voice. It always worked well on KISS albums, and even his Frehley's Comet albums where he had Todd Howarth sing (and write) half the album.

Yeah, very disappointing.

You should've just went for the great Trouble Walkin'.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2014, 10:13:40 AM »

Yeah, very disappointing.

You should've just went for the great Trouble Walkin'.

I was just wanting to see if I could hear what others were enjoying in Anomaly. I couldn't.

Trouble Walkin' is ok (love the ELO cover) but the 78 solo album and the Frehley's Comet albums were his best for me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2014, 12:53:06 PM »
The 78 Solo album was great. I prefer Trouble Walkin' to the Frehley's Comet albums. I hate albums where Ace sings, and then Tod sings, and so on. that bugs me. Plus, I think both albums are inconsistent. I could take ten songs from the two albums combined and make one great album.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2014, 12:58:31 PM »
The 78 Solo album was great. I prefer Trouble Walkin' to the Frehley's Comet albums. I hate albums where Ace sings, and then Tod sings, and so on. that bugs me. Plus, I think both albums are inconsistent. I could take ten songs from the two albums combined and make one great album.

I agree that with Frehley's Comet and Second Sighting you could combine them to one great album.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2014, 02:12:05 PM »
I would agree with that too but Trouble Walkin' is no better in that department. Half an excellent album.
But as I said earlier I find Ace's voice too one dimensional for awhole album. The 78 solo was short and sweet.
And I generally like the Tod songs.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2014, 02:18:58 PM »
Yeah, I agree Lowdz. TW has it's flaws. I just think there's a general "coolness" to that album.

The Tod songs are good on their own. I just hate when the vocalists go back and forth.
Something Moved is pretty good, but my favorite would be Loser In A Fight.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2014, 07:47:34 PM »
KISS and Def Leppard co-headlining US summer tour announced today.  My 13-year-old announced she wants to go (and might even want to wear makeup) so I'll be taking her to one of the dates.   :tup  This will be my 16th KISS show since '77 and I probably would've passed on this tour if (a) she had not expressed interest and (b) it had not been with Def Lep, who I haven't seen live since they were an opening act 30 years ago.  Should be a decent evening.  I'll be curious to see my daughter's expression at the over-the-top stage show for KISS.  She's been to a few shows including U2, Halestorm and Pink, but nothing that will have this much firepower (literally).

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2014, 10:02:19 PM »
KISS and Def Leppard co-headlining US summer tour announced today.  My 13-year-old announced she wants to go (and might even want to wear makeup) so I'll be taking her to one of the dates.   :tup  This will be my 16th KISS show since '77 and I probably would've passed on this tour if (a) she had not expressed interest and (b) it had not been with Def Lep, who I haven't seen live since they were an opening act 30 years ago.  Should be a decent evening.  I'll be curious to see my daughter's expression at the over-the-top stage show for KISS.  She's been to a few shows including U2, Halestorm and Pink, but nothing that will have this much firepower (literally).

They're doing a couple of shows in my area so I'm thinking of going (mainly for Def Leppard). I hope both bands play a rarity or two at least, in addition to the hits. But, it may be cool just for the experience. I've only seen KISS once (reunion tour) and I've never seen Def Leppard.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline jammindude

« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2014, 12:21:40 AM »
I'd be interested in going if Def Leppard were playing more High n Dry/Pyromania stuff and less Hysteria and beyond.   

I've never seen Kiss with makeup.   My only Kiss show ever was the Crazy Nights tour.   I'm still up in the air as to whether I wanna shell out money to go to this.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2014, 06:41:47 AM »
I'd be interested in going if Def Leppard were playing more High n Dry/Pyromania stuff and less Hysteria and beyond.   

I've never seen Kiss with makeup.   My only Kiss show ever was the Crazy Nights tour.   I'm still up in the air as to whether I wanna shell out money to go to this.

You owe it to yourself to go. Also, aren't Night Ranger opening? That's a decent package.
Admittedly Paul's voice is shot. I've been watching some live vids from last year and its painful to watch really.
Def Leppard are worth seeing.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2014, 06:48:17 AM »
Yeah, I saw them last year. Paul's voice....ouch. I won't be going again unless I see a recent live video where actually sounds decent. Such a shame, I think Paul in his prime where the greatest rock 'n' roll frontman I've ever seen.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.