Author Topic: Official KISS thread  (Read 50503 times)

Offline Glasser

Re: Official KISS thread
« Reply #525 on: August 26, 2022, 08:42:58 PM »

So crazy! My friend that I literally grew up with, Derrek Hawkins, played with Ace for a while, he was on the Anomaly album but toured multiple times with Ace looks so much like the blonde guitarist on the right. I think Derrek said the bassist was Anthony Esposito (Lynch Mob) was with Ace at the same. Ace knows how to pick great band mates. I loved Tod Howarth.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #526 on: August 26, 2022, 10:03:38 PM »
This was from tonight. His band is awesome.   Each 2 guitarists and the bassist sang one song.  Great musicianship,  unreal harmonies.

This is the lineup now.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Glasser

« Reply #527 on: August 26, 2022, 10:11:40 PM »

Derrek is the dirty blond. Excellent guitarist and a sweetheart of a person.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #528 on: August 26, 2022, 10:22:41 PM »
Very cool!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Glasser

« Reply #529 on: August 26, 2022, 10:37:15 PM »
Very cool!

He got his first break joining Stabbing Westward. After that he played with The Space Hogs and Ace. His own band CLOSER released a very cool album titled "Don't Walk". Worth checking out for sure!!! Link below.

https://open.spotify.com/album/2kWsncPu9Pqn4QOGBGaHII

« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 10:44:08 PM by Glasser »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: August 26, 2022, 10:41:38 PM »
Definitely will.  I loved Stabbing Westward.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #531 on: August 26, 2022, 10:46:06 PM »

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #532 on: August 29, 2022, 06:23:28 AM »
Has anyone listened to the song from the boxset that's been released on Spotify, "Betrayed" (demo)?  It sounds ridiculously identical to Sammy Hagar's "There's Only One Way To Rock", which was released in January of the same year COTN was released.  Good song, though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #533 on: August 29, 2022, 10:10:24 AM »
This was from tonight. His band is awesome.   Each 2 guitarists and the bassist sang one song.  Great musicianship,  unreal harmonies.

This is the lineup now.

That's not Philip Souse, though with him now.  It's a dude named Zach that just joined.  He's legit, but I forgot who he came from to join this band.  The two guitar players, Ryan and Jeremy, were in Gene Simmons' solo band; I saw them at the Trocadero in Philly (and went onstage to sing "I Love It Loud".)

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #534 on: August 29, 2022, 01:21:17 PM »
[
That's not Philip Souse, though with him now.  It's a dude named Zach that just joined.  He's legit, but I forgot who he came from to join this band.  The two guitar players, Ryan and Jeremy, were in Gene Simmons' solo band; I saw them at the Trocadero in Philly (and went onstage to sing "I Love It Loud".)
Philip Shouse is probably getting ready to start touring with Accept.  Zach from Ace's band is Zach Throne from Bruce Kulick's KISS Kruise band.  He does a phenomenal job singing the Gene songs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: August 29, 2022, 03:07:50 PM »
[
Philip Shouse is probably getting ready to start touring with Accept.  Zach from Ace's band is Zach Throne from Bruce Kulick's KISS Kruise band.  He does a phenomenal job singing the Gene songs.

That's right; he mentioned he was on the cruise.  He did nail the Gene songs and he seems to fit in nicely with the rest of the guys.  He was a cool guy one on one.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: August 29, 2022, 03:13:03 PM »
He had a killer voice. All 3 did honestly.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #537 on: August 29, 2022, 03:29:03 PM »
He had a killer voice. All 3 did honestly.

All three except Ace amirite?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: August 29, 2022, 03:45:04 PM »
Definitely. Lol. Ace was not good singing. His guitar playing is still en fuego!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #539 on: August 29, 2022, 04:04:23 PM »
This pretty decent Lick It Up Era show just showed up on Youtube (audio only).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZrn9qJpchw
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: August 30, 2022, 09:04:16 AM »
Definitely. Lol. Ace was not good singing. His guitar playing is still en fuego!

In my show, he did okay, not great singing, but during Deuce, he did like one line and did the line across his neck to Zach who sang the rest of the song.   

One problem is, he's basically deaf, and so I think he strains his voice to hear when he doesn't have to, and it blows it out.

Did anyone buy the guitars?   (He had Epiphone Les Paul's - a $700 guitar at best - for sale for $3500 with his doodles and autographs on it; to my count he sold three of them at my show).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: August 30, 2022, 09:06:26 AM »
I saw them but not sure if anyone bought them!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #542 on: September 22, 2022, 06:49:30 PM »
I was thisclose to buying the Off The Soundboard Des Moines 1977 show on Amazon, but I thought I'd see if it was on Spotify.

I don't know why, but I really expected the quality to be much better than it is.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #543 on: September 22, 2022, 09:42:30 PM »
I was thisclose to buying the Off The Soundboard Des Moines 1977 show on Amazon, but I thought I'd see if it was on Spotify.

I don't know why, but I really expected the quality to be much better than it is.
This is actually the first one I'm really impressed with.  It's the classic era and a pretty good setlist (IMO).  Peter's drumming is on fire, especially during "Detroit Rock City".  I wasn't really scrutinizing the sound quality.  However, the only thing I noticed was some crackling during "Beth".  It was interesting to hear Gene "botch" the lyrics in the 2nd verse of "Ladies Room".  Not sure if that was intentional or an accident.  I'd never heard an instance of him changing those lyrics before.  This one may eventually make it into my collection.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #544 on: September 23, 2022, 12:22:13 AM »
While we're talking about the official soundboard shows - that previous one from the 1996 Donington show sure is great! I listened to it a lot this summer, and I'm not really a live album guy normally.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #545 on: September 23, 2022, 04:14:53 AM »

This is actually the first one I'm really impressed with.  It's the classic era and a pretty good setlist (IMO).  Peter's drumming is on fire, especially during "Detroit Rock City".  I wasn't really scrutinizing the sound quality.  However, the only thing I noticed was some crackling during "Beth".  It was interesting to hear Gene "botch" the lyrics in the 2nd verse of "Ladies Room".  Not sure if that was intentional or an accident.  I'd never heard an instance of him changing those lyrics before.  This one may eventually make it into my collection.

I will say that my post represented my first impression. I listened to quite a bit of it and I definitely warmed up to it. It’s actually really cool.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #546 on: September 23, 2022, 05:42:44 AM »
While we're talking about the official soundboard shows - that previous one from the 1996 Donington show sure is great! I listened to it a lot this summer, and I'm not really a live album guy normally.
I think before this new Des Moines album was released, Donington was definitely the best of the others.  It was the Reunion era.  So, the original 4 still sounded pretty good.  You get a couple songs that are a little different (KotNTW, Watchin' You, Shock Me (w/ Ace).  And, the package wasn't repurposed audio from a previously-released CD or DVD.  Plus, Gene and Paul were only in their mid-40's.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: September 23, 2022, 06:43:13 AM »

I have no idea if it's intentional or not, but I've seen Kiss as much as any other band and Gene muffs the lyrics as much as all the other three combined.  I saw them in Madison Square Garden on the reunion tour - HOMECOMING! - and he messed up "Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll".   But I was down front and he was standing up on the riser like 15 feet above me, and it was real, it was a pretty cool experience. 

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #548 on: September 23, 2022, 07:24:09 AM »
I have no idea if it's intentional or not, but I've seen Kiss as much as any other band and Gene muffs the lyrics as much as all the other three combined.  I saw them in Madison Square Garden on the reunion tour - HOMECOMING! - and he messed up "Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll".   But I was down front and he was standing up on the riser like 15 feet above me, and it was real, it was a pretty cool experience.
Yeah, LMGRnR seems to be a popular one for him to mess up.  Most screw-ups I've seen with lyrics from him have been from Reunion to present time.  That's the first time I've seen it back from their heyday.

Which MSG show were you at?  I was at 7/25 with D-Generation opening.  I would've preferred to have gotten The Nixons (7/28) as the opener.  Seeing the original four with their make-up on was something I'd dreamed of since I was a little kid.  My first concert was KISS at MSG 11 years earlier on the Asylum tour as a 12-year old with my dad.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: September 23, 2022, 09:42:12 AM »
Yeah, LMGRnR seems to be a popular one for him to mess up.  Most screw-ups I've seen with lyrics from him have been from Reunion to present time.  That's the first time I've seen it back from their heyday.

Which MSG show were you at?  I was at 7/25 with D-Generation opening.  I would've preferred to have gotten The Nixons (7/28) as the opener.  Seeing the original four with their make-up on was something I'd dreamed of since I was a little kid.  My first concert was KISS at MSG 11 years earlier on the Asylum tour as a 12-year old with my dad.

I was at that same show.  The 25th.  The 27th show was one of the bonus video disks for the Kissology III set.   I missed D-Generation; we were driving down from CT and one of my friends had to piss so we ended up getting stuck in West Side traffic for almost an extra hour.  But it was a thrill to see them in that building.  Probably my favorite of the times I've seen them.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #550 on: September 23, 2022, 11:25:27 AM »
I was at that same show.  The 25th.  The 27th show was one of the bonus video disks for the Kissology III set.   I missed D-Generation; we were driving down from CT and one of my friends had to piss so we ended up getting stuck in West Side traffic for almost an extra hour.  But it was a thrill to see them in that building.  Probably my favorite of the times I've seen them.
Of the times I've seen them in makeup, I think my favorite time was seeing them on New Year's Eve the next year, home in New Jersey.  I went with some really good friends from college and my best childhood friends.  It was an awesome night.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #551 on: September 23, 2022, 05:05:02 PM »
Well, I bought the Des Moines show. I was really excited when they announced it. It took me a couple of tracks to acclimate to the sound, but in the end, this is a must have for me.
I hope this series continues to release more shows that I'd be interested in, as I am not really interested in anything from the Reunion onward.

Offline DTA

« Reply #552 on: September 23, 2022, 07:12:58 PM »
Just chiming in to say the vocals on Turn On The Night and Who Wants To Be Lonely are outstanding and both songs are among Kiss' best of the non-makeup era

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #553 on: September 23, 2022, 07:15:09 PM »
Just chiming in to say the vocals on Turn On The Night and Who Wants To Be Lonely are outstanding and both songs are among Kiss' best of the non-makeup era

Oh no doubt. Turn On the Night is a great tune, and Asylum is a Top 5 Kiss album for me.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #554 on: September 23, 2022, 09:03:21 PM »
Well, I bought the Des Moines show. I was really excited when they announced it. It took me a couple of tracks to acclimate to the sound, but in the end, this is a must have for me.
I hope this series continues to release more shows that I'd be interested in, as I am not really interested in anything from the Reunion onward.
I'm really hoping we get an Eric Carr era album next.  His first show, NYC at the Palladium in 1980, would be phenomenal.  Or a show from the Hot In The Shade tour with that awesome setlist.  I'd even be happy with the Animalize Live Uncensored show with its original audio.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #555 on: September 23, 2022, 09:11:17 PM »

I'm really hoping we get an Eric Carr era album next.  His first show, NYC at the Palladium in 1980, would be phenomenal. 

I was at that show 5th row center and it was KILLER! :metal

Offline jammindude

« Reply #556 on: September 23, 2022, 10:38:27 PM »
I feel like I saw KISS at their absolute worst.

The only Kiss show I ever saw…was the Crazy Nights tour.

I never saw them with their makeup. I never saw them in their non-makeup resurgence. I saw them literally at their lowest point. There was no blood, there was no flying on wires, there was no guitars shooting sparks.

And what’s worse is that now they are so far past their prime, that I’m not sure I’m even interested in seeing them anymore.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #557 on: September 24, 2022, 05:46:02 AM »
I feel like I saw KISS at their absolute worst.

The only Kiss show I ever saw…was the Crazy Nights tour.

I never saw them with their makeup. I never saw them in their non-makeup resurgence. I saw them literally at their lowest point. There was no blood, there was no flying on wires, there was no guitars shooting sparks.

And what’s worse is that now they are so far past their prime, that I’m not sure I’m even interested in seeing them anymore.
They were "of the time" during that era.  I saw them twice on that tour.  It was fine.  You were one album away from possibly seeing them at their best of the non-makeup era.  That Hot In The Shade tour was awesome!  I know people talk about the Revenge tour.  That was really good, too.  But, the setlist was just soooo good on HITS.

As for seeing them now, the show itself overall is a lot of fun.  We took our 12-year old daughter to it and she loved it, too.  I hadn't seen them since their "Farewell" tour.  But, didn't want to regret not seeing them again.  I loved it.  Sure, the setlist is stale as 2-week old toast.  But, Tommy and Eric are tight.  I just wish they could pick up the tempo of the songs again.  If that final show is in NYC, like they've said, I'll be there for sure.  One final time.  And, then, regardless of whether they come back again or not, I'll have put them to rest.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #558 on: September 24, 2022, 08:15:36 PM »

Oh no doubt. Turn On the Night is a great tune, and Asylum is a Top 5 Kiss album for me.

I'll Fight Hell To Hold You is one of Paul's best. Good Girl Gone Bad is another Kiss (Gene) tune I really dig.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #559 on: September 24, 2022, 08:20:25 PM »

I'll Fight Hell To Hold You is one of Paul's best.

I love that song! Definitely the highest Paul has ever sung.