Author Topic: Official KISS thread  (Read 50396 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official KISS thread
« Reply #490 on: July 16, 2022, 02:25:33 PM »
Probably distracted with thoughts of spiked codpieces......
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #491 on: July 18, 2022, 06:53:42 AM »
I’ve been able to get a couple of my kids into music that I like. But, nothing tops last October when I took my oldest son, 14 at the time, to see KISS. He didn’t know most of the songs, but it didn’t matter. He loved it, and we had an awesome time together, and something we’ll always remember. Now when I hear KISS, that’s what I think of.

I have an experience like that with my daughter.  Priceless.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #492 on: July 31, 2022, 02:01:25 PM »
Not quite as good as the Maiden dudes from the jungle..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52vNfge_mhU
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #493 on: August 01, 2022, 05:48:48 AM »
Anyone heard the new Klassik ‘78 album? Let’s party like it’s 1976

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: August 01, 2022, 04:36:45 PM »

:lol

But...I was actually entertained watching the bass playing.  That was a gazillion times more hand work than I would ever have guessed.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 09:46:35 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: August 02, 2022, 08:12:22 AM »

:lol

But...I was actually entertained I watched the bass playing.  That was a gazillion times more hand work than I would ever have guessed.

I know famously Rick Nielson from Cheap Trick said Gene was a shit bass player, but for the music they played, I thought he brought a lot of creativity.  Kiss songs often, especially in the early days, could be described as "a Paul McCartney bassline under a Jimmy Page riff".   Some of his bass lines were pretty cool (listen to Rock and Roll All Nite, for example).   Not necessarily hard to play, but more than just chugging on the root note.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #496 on: August 02, 2022, 10:00:36 AM »
The first three KISS albums have great bass lines all over them. But Simmons played higher up, more melodic lines. Nielson probably wanted a bass player that Carrie’s the bottom end more like a typical bass player.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: August 02, 2022, 10:35:53 AM »
The first three KISS albums have great bass lines all over them. But Simmons played higher up, more melodic lines. Nielson probably wanted a bass player that Carrie’s the bottom end more like a typical bass player.

Like Tom Petersson often did (even the more melodic lines from him were not single-note lines, since his 12-string bass allowed for a more "chordal" approach). 

Offline Trav86

« Reply #498 on: August 02, 2022, 05:10:11 PM »

Like Tom Petersson often did (even the more melodic lines from him were not single-note lines, since his 12-string bass allowed for a more "chordal" approach).

Exactly. Two different types of bass players. Both awesome and underrated!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #499 on: August 23, 2022, 09:12:26 AM »
So this video popped into my Youtube feed today. It's a video about Hide Your Heart, which I obviously know that both Kiss and Ace Frehley recorded.

Apparently, it was also recorded by 5 other artists including Bonnie Tyler, and oddly...Molly Hatchet.

I did not know that it was demoed for the Crazy Nights album, but was ultimatly rejected.
Anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqes8zBwNPE

I pulled up the Molly Hatchet version on Spotify, and let's just say...it sounds weird.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #500 on: August 23, 2022, 11:03:34 AM »
I've only learned about that a couple of months ago. It's so odd that so many bands and performers recorded their versions of the song, and yet it never became that big of a hit.  ;D

Online The Realm

« Reply #501 on: August 23, 2022, 04:25:11 PM »
I saw Kiss live Saturday night in Melbourne. I really enjoyed the gig, I thought Gene was great but Paul was struggling a bit. As I have mentioned previously (in the Rush Top 75 countdown thread of course) I used to perform as Gene in a Kiss tribute band so even though I do love Kiss and they have been a big influence and important band for me in my younger years I never listen to them at all these days and have seen them live many times before. I actually can't remember the last time I put on a Kiss album but I am really glad I went to the show considering this is in theory the 'End of the Road' tour. It was well worth it but it did leave me feeling a little sad, when you are young, you think you and especially your heros are invincible but the gig did display some elements of the fact that time catches up with us all. Highly recommended though for Kiss fans.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: August 24, 2022, 08:32:29 AM »
So this video popped into my Youtube feed today. It's a video about Hide Your Heart, which I obviously know that both Kiss and Ace Frehley recorded.

Apparently, it was also recorded by 5 other artists including Bonnie Tyler, and oddly...Molly Hatchet.

I did not know that it was demoed for the Crazy Nights album, but was ultimatly rejected.
Anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqes8zBwNPE

I pulled up the Molly Hatchet version on Spotify, and let's just say...it sounds weird.  :lol

Is the drummer on the Bonnie Tyler the same drummer that was famous a couple years ago for his exaggerated mannerisms?  :)  (It's not; I think he said it's Jerry Marotta, who drummed for Peter Gabriel).

I dig the song, and I dig the Ace version (that whole album, Trouble Walking, is one of his best, IMO).

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #503 on: August 24, 2022, 09:23:30 PM »
Gene Simmons was the guest on Dean Delray's "Let There Be Talk" podcast episode 660 about 2 weeks ago.  It's a great discussion/interview.  He's not the typical "Gene Simmons...  From KISS!" who we get in most interviews.  He's more "Gene Simmons, the musician".  He talks a lot about musical history, his instruments and influences, a handful of Gene-isms, and, surprisingly, not a lot of KISS.  It was very refreshing to hear, and really entertaining.  I highly recommend it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: August 25, 2022, 02:03:17 PM »
Gene Simmons was the guest on Dean Delray's "Let There Be Talk" podcast episode 660 about 2 weeks ago.  It's a great discussion/interview.  He's not the typical "Gene Simmons...  From KISS!" who we get in most interviews.  He's more "Gene Simmons, the musician".  He talks a lot about musical history, his instruments and influences, a handful of Gene-isms, and, surprisingly, not a lot of KISS.  It was very refreshing to hear, and really entertaining.  I highly recommend it.

I want to find that; he doesn't usually talk about those things all that much.  He's famous for saying stuff like "no one wants to hear what strings I use, or what cables I use."   

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #505 on: August 25, 2022, 09:45:54 PM »
According to ITunes Australia, this is the track listing for the upcoming KISS Creatures Box Set!  Looks pretty darn good.  Discs 4 and 5 are soundboard, too.  I think they knocked it out of the park with this one.  Wonder what goodies they'll load in there with the music.

Disc 1 (2022 Remastered)
01. Creatures Of The Night
02. Saint And Sinner
03. Keep Me Comin'
04. Rock And Roll Hell
05. Danger
06. I Love It Loud
07. I Still Love You
08. Killer
09. War Machine

Disc 2 - Demos
10. I'm A Legend Tonight
11. Down On Your Knees
12. Nowhere To Run
13. Partners In Crime
14. Deadly Weapon (Penny Lane Demo)
15. Feel Like Heaven (Penny Lane Demo)
16. Nowhere To Run (Penny Lane Demo)
17. Deadly Weapon (Original Demo)
18. Feel Like Heaven (Original Demo)
19. Nowhere To Run (Take 11 - Instrumental)
20. Tell It To A Fool (Take 4 - Drums & Bass Instrumental)
21. Chrome Goes Into Motion (Take 2 - Drums & Bass Instrumental)
22. I'm A Legend Tonight (Mix 4 - Instrumental & Background Vocals)
23. Don't Leave Me Lonely (Take 8 - Drums & Guitar Instrumental)
24. Something Seems To Happen At Night (Gene Simmons Demo)
25. It's Gonna Be Alright (Gene Simmons Demo)

Disc 3 - Demos 2
26. Legends Never Die (Gene Simmons Demo)
27. It's My Life (Gene Simmons Demo)
28. Not For The Innocent (Demo)
29. I Still Love You (Take 1)
30. I Still Love You (Take 2)
31. Saint And Sinner (Take 1)
32. Saint And Sinner (Take 2 - False Start)
33. Saint And Sinner (Take 3)
34. Betrayed (Outtake)
35. Creatures Of The Night (Alternate Mix 19)
36. Partners In Crime (Alternate Mix 16B)
37. I Love It Loud (Alternate Mix 21)
38. War Machine (Full-Length - Mix 11)
39. Rock And Roll Hell (Take 2 [9/10/82])
40. Rock And Roll Hell (Take 1 - Incomplete [9/15/82])
41. Rock And Roll Hell (Take 2 [9/15/82])
42. I Love It Loud (Single Edit)
43. Creatures Of The Night (1985 Remix)

Disc 4 - Live
44. Creatures Of The Night (Live In Rockford, Illinois 12/31/82)
45. Strutter (Live In Sioux City, Iowa 12/30/82)
46. Calling Dr. Love (Live In Sioux City, Iowa 12/30/82)
47. Firehouse (Live In Sioux City, Iowa 12/30/82)
48. I Love It Loud (Live In Rockford, Illinois 12/31/82)
49. Cold Gin (Live In Sioux City, Iowa 12/30/82)
50. Keep Me Comin' (Live In Sioux City, Iowa 12/30/82)
51. War Machine (Live In Sioux City, Iowa 12/30/82)
52. I Want You (Live In Houston, Texas 3/10/83)
53. Rock And Roll Hell (Live In Rockford, Illinois 12/31/82)
54. I Still Love You (Live In Sioux City, Iowa 12/30/82)
55. Shout It Out Loud (Live In Sioux City, Iowa 12/30/82)
56. Gene Bass Solo (Live In Sioux City, Iowa 12/30/82)
57. God Of Thunder / Eric Drum Solo (Live In Rockford, Illinois 12/31/82)

Disc 5 - Live  & More
58. Paul's Love Gun Rap (Live In Rockford, Illinois 12/31/82)
59. Love Gun (Live In Rockford, Illinois 12/31/82)
60. Paul's Guitar Solo (Live In Rockford, Illinois 12/31/82)
61. Black Diamond (Live In Houston, Texas 3/10/83)
62. Detroit Rock City (Live In Houston, Texas 3/10/83)
63. Rock And Roll All Nite (Live In Houston, Texas 3/10/83)
64. Rock And Roll Hell (Live In Sioux City, Iowa 12/30/82)
65. I Want You (Live In Rockford, Illinois 12/31/82)
66. King Of The Night Time World (Live In Pine Bluff, Arkansas 2/11/83)
67. Cold Gin (Live In Houston, Texas 3/10/83)
68. I Still Love You (Live In Houston, Texas 3/10/83)
69. Strutter (Live In Houston, Texas 3/10/83)
70. Tank Start Of Show (Tour Sound Effect)
71. Turbine (Tour Sound Effect)
72. Firehouse Siren (Tour Sound Effect)
73. Drum And Ending Tank (Tour Sound Effect)
74. Bass Solo Wind And Gargoyles (Tour Sound Effect)
75. Bells (Tour Sound Effect)
76. Flames (Tour Sound Effect)
76 Songs, 5 Hours, 23 Minutes

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #506 on: August 26, 2022, 01:27:18 AM »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #507 on: August 26, 2022, 02:40:48 AM »
One week tomorrow until I see the KISS show. Looking forward to the spectacle of it all.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: August 26, 2022, 03:26:46 AM »
One week tomorrow until I see the KISS show. Looking forward to the spectacle of it all.

Saw them last Sunday - you'll enjoy it for sure.

Off to see the Aussie band The Baby Animals tonight .................two gigs in a week after nothing for 3-4 years.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #509 on: August 26, 2022, 12:15:09 PM »
That box set looks pretty damned impressive.  Interesting to me that they put so much effort into this one album/tour.  Because this is considered the epitome of KISS?  I remember that they finally gained something like mainstream appeal by the 80's, with MTV videos and everything.  Or maybe because they're planning other boxes like this?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: August 26, 2022, 12:45:34 PM »
That box set looks pretty damned impressive.  Interesting to me that they put so much effort into this one album/tour.  Because this is considered the epitome of KISS?  I remember that they finally gained something like mainstream appeal by the 80's, with MTV videos and everything.  Or maybe because they're planning other boxes like this?

Paul Stanley has said many times that he felt Lick It Up was the album that restored them to their 70's level greatness, but Creatures was by far the better album.  I think for him, anyway, that might be the epitome of at least the non-original member period of the band.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #511 on: August 26, 2022, 12:49:41 PM »
My only complaint is how patchwork the live stuff seems to be. You couldn’t find a decent complete show?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #512 on: August 26, 2022, 12:57:25 PM »
My only complaint is how patchwork the live stuff seems to be. You couldn’t find a decent complete show?

Yup. I agree completely.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #513 on: August 26, 2022, 01:10:04 PM »

Paul Stanley has said many times that he felt Lick It Up was the album that restored them to their 70's level greatness, but Creatures was by far the better album.  I think for him, anyway, that might be the epitome of at least the non-original member period of the band.

I agree with you 100%! Love Creatures but Lick It Up is stellar. Vinnie is an amazing songwriter! I watched an hour long interview with Vincent speaking how he wanted to be a full time EQUAL member and we all know that would never happen. Eric Carr wanted him in the band fulltime according to Vincent but he basically said they used him at their convenience. The first VV album Invasion were all songs written for the follow up to Lick it up. I would love to hear Paul sing those tunes over ex Journey singer Robert Fleischman.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #514 on: August 26, 2022, 02:50:06 PM »
Seeing Ace tonight!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: August 26, 2022, 03:09:48 PM »
Seeing Ace tonight!!

Let me know what you think.  I saw this show a couple weeks ago at Toad's, a 700 seat club in New Haven.   We hung after the show and his band came out and hung with us on the sidewalk.  REALLY cool guys, especially Ryan the guitar player and Zach the bass player.   

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #516 on: August 26, 2022, 03:59:05 PM »
I saw Kiss way back during the Lick it Up tour.  Make up off.  :omg:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: August 26, 2022, 04:34:46 PM »
Seeing Ace tonight!!

Let me know what you think.  I saw this show a couple weeks ago at Toad's, a 700 seat club in New Haven.   We hung after the show and his band came out and hung with us on the sidewalk.  REALLY cool guys, especially Ryan the guitar player and Zach the bass player.

You bet!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #518 on: August 26, 2022, 05:45:39 PM »
I saw Kiss way back during the Lick it Up tour.  Make up off.  :omg:

My first Kiss show. I met Paul, Gene, Eric and Vinnie before the show.  Vinnie was a douche, Eric was shyer than I am so we said like one word to each other.  Paul was a gentleman, and Gene was (and likely still is) the coolest celebrity I've ever met.  He talked with me for a good five minutes, and went through the picture books from Alive! and Alive II page by page telling me stories about the photos.  I knew the photos for Alive! were staged about ten years before it became common knowledge.  :) :) :)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: August 26, 2022, 05:46:55 PM »
Animalize was my 1st KISS show with Queensryche opening.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #520 on: August 26, 2022, 06:11:51 PM »
Animalize was my 1st KISS show with Queensryche opening.

They were still "banned" from Providence for that tour, and my folks wouldn't let me go to Worcester yet. They did play in providence on the Asylum tour and that was the first time seeing them. They were so disappointing. And Black n Blue sucked.
Like It Up they have Accept
Animalize they have Queensryche

And I fucking get Black n Blue.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #521 on: August 26, 2022, 07:21:09 PM »
That was the first time I saw QR. I saw Kiss twice on that tour. I'm trying to remember if QR opened on the second leg as well or if it was WASP or Ted Nugent.....? I was there, just can't remember.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #522 on: August 26, 2022, 07:59:11 PM »
I saw Nuge open the Crazy Nights tour. Caught his drummer's stick!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #523 on: August 26, 2022, 08:28:13 PM »
So its possible I saw Nuge on that tour and WASP was on the second leg of the Animalize tour.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: August 26, 2022, 08:29:38 PM »