Author Topic: Official KISS thread  (Read 50364 times)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Official KISS thread?
« Reply #385 on: July 10, 2020, 11:24:32 AM »
I still think of Destroyer and Love Gun as the first "clean and shiny" KISS albums.  Alive! was their big breakthrough, and was where a lot of people (myself included) got on the train.  Their studio work up to that point had a certain charm to it, but it was definitely rough and raw as far as production went.  And that was perfectly fine for the music they were making at the time.

Then came Alive! of course, and then when Destroyer came out, sure enough, you could literally hear how much bigger the budget was.  Wasn't that the first Bob Ezrin album for them?

Yes it was. 

Kenny Kerner and Richie Wise produced the first two (and later "apologized" for the production on "Hotter Than Hell")
"Neil Bogart" produced the third (in quotes because by all accounts he basically did coke and let the band produce themselves)
Eddie Kramer produced Alive!
Bob Ezrin produced Destroyer
Eddie Kramer produced Rock And Roll Over and Love Gun

That sounds about right, regarding those early ones.  I didn't realize Ezrin only did the one later.  If anything, I guess I prefer the sound Eddie Kramer was able to get with them.  Destroyer almost sounds too clean and shiny to me.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #386 on: July 10, 2020, 11:35:57 AM »
The album Ezrin produced later is Revenge which it's production aligns more with Rock And Roll Over.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #387 on: July 10, 2020, 11:42:35 AM »
Ezrin also did The Elder.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: July 10, 2020, 11:48:08 AM »
Ezrin also did The Elder.

And Ace was outvoted 2-1 doing another concept album.  He wanted to do a rock album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #389 on: July 10, 2020, 12:51:47 PM »
Ah yes, The Elder.  I knew Ezrin did that one; I just forgot.

I didn't know about Revenge, because I'd pretty much stopped following KISS by that point.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #390 on: July 10, 2020, 12:53:02 PM »
Revenge is awesome!!!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: July 10, 2020, 01:37:37 PM »
Bob, listen to Revenge.  It will not disappoint.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: July 10, 2020, 01:59:14 PM »
Heart of Chrome  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #393 on: July 10, 2020, 02:45:25 PM »
Well, if you guys insist...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #394 on: July 10, 2020, 02:47:20 PM »
Yes, we insist

Offline DTA

« Reply #395 on: July 10, 2020, 03:49:58 PM »
I've learned not to take most fans opinions into account too much. I was told Hot In The Shade/Crazy Nights are the absolute bottom of the barrel, but I love them both and they get much more play than Destroyer which is always ranked at #1. I've enjoyed all the solo albums so far, and I'm sure Peter's will have a things I really like and a few things that suck (which is pretty standard for every single album of theirs).

I get Carnival of Souls - not high on my list either - but what DON'T you like about Destroyer and Love Gun?   I mean, the former is overplayed by half, but King..., Flaming Youth, Shout It Out Loud, and Do You Love Me are excellent.   As for Love Gun, it's a very good SOUNDING record, and even though the lyrics are dodgy, the Gene songs on that album are some of my favorites.   The only song that well and truly blows on either album is "Hooligan" which is just dreadful.

Shout It Out Loud, Great Expectations, Sweet Pain, Do You Love Me and Beth do absolutely nothing for me. Shout It Out Loud is possibly my least favorite Kiss song and the fact that it's played so much more than something like Who Wants To Be Lonely really bugs me. Detroit Rock City is cool, but I'd take the opening tracks for every album from Creatures through Asylum over it any day. God Of Thunder is probably the best song on here for me, but I also like Flaming Youth and King.

Besides I Stole Your Love (an excellent excellent song), the title track, Christine Sixteen, and Almost Human (super-underrated track), I think I hate every other song on this thing. There's just an element of cheese to it that goes above and beyond what I expect from them. Tomorrow And Tonight is the worst offender by far.

The fact that these two are always rated above something as good as Revenge or Asylum almost makes me resent them even more. I do think very highly of the self-titled, Hotter Than Hell, and Rock & Roll Over though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #396 on: July 10, 2020, 03:52:08 PM »
DTA, nothing pleases me more than seeing love for Asylum. I'm sorry, but I love that album.

Offline DTA

« Reply #397 on: July 10, 2020, 03:54:57 PM »
DTA, nothing pleases me more than seeing love for Asylum. I'm sorry, but I love that album.

It's fantastic. It's like every new Kiss fan is taught that they have to hate this album for some reason when it contains some absolutely killer songs.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #398 on: July 10, 2020, 03:58:43 PM »
The album cover doesn't help.

I'm generally not a "Gene guy" but his songs, Anyway You Slice It, Trial By Fire, Love's A Deadly Weapon, and Secretly Cruel, really help raise the level for me.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: July 10, 2020, 04:01:06 PM »
I remember being disappointed with the Asylum tour because they basically used the same songs from the Animalize tour that wasn't from the new albums at that time on each tour.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #400 on: July 10, 2020, 04:17:41 PM »
That setlist fucking blew.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: July 10, 2020, 04:53:50 PM »
HITS album blew but the tour was amazing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #402 on: July 10, 2020, 05:17:10 PM »
HITS album blew but the tour was amazing.

Agreed. I think Paul's solo tour really opened him back up to the past.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: July 10, 2020, 05:27:47 PM »
Absolutely.

Offline DTA

« Reply #404 on: February 19, 2021, 05:23:00 AM »
Well, I've heard every Kiss album and I figured I'd make a ranking because it's snowy and I'm not at work right now. This is pretty off-the-cuff and I haven't given it too much thought, but I'm pretty sure this is my final ranking. The ones at the top are simply the ones I most want to listen to when I go for a Kiss album. I have no allegiance for any era (makeup/non-makeup/original lineup/etc) so my list is based purely on the songs. Still missing Peter Criss' solo album but that's very far down on my priority list. I will listen eventually but I'll have to wait until I'm in a massive musical dry-spell before I make the decision to acquire that.

1. Unmasked
2. Asylum
3. Creatures Of The Night
4. Revenge
5. Music From "The Elder"
6. Paul Stanley
7. Animalize
8. Crazy Nights
9. Hot In The Shade
10. Lick It Up
11. Hotter Than Hell
12. Rock And Roll Over
13. Dynasty
14. Sonic Boom
15. Psycho Circus
16. Ace Frehley
17. Kiss
18. Gene Simmons
19. Monster
20. Dressed To Kill
21. Destroyer
22. Love Gun
23. Carnival Of Souls

Offline Mladen

« Reply #405 on: February 19, 2021, 07:46:35 AM »
Oh, man, what an interesting take on the discography! Can you elaborate on prefering the 80s material to a good bunch of the 70s classics? Seeing three of their best known albums at the bottom is very intriquing. Not to mention Unmasked and The Elder being ranked up high.

Maybe I'd also try to put together my own list as well, it might be difficult, though.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: February 19, 2021, 07:51:27 AM »
Interesting indeed. Nice to see Unmasked so high, and The Elder is a Top 5 for me too.

I guess I can make my own ranking soon, I predict the 70s stuff will all be top half of the list. I can't really get into the 1983-1992 era, aside from a few songs here and there. KISS, for me, is all about the makeup years.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #407 on: February 19, 2021, 08:16:06 AM »
Interesting. I've owned 99% of the catalogue.

I'll do a quick top three:

1. Kiss
2. Crazy Nights
3. Dynasty
4. Pail Stanley

There's lots of others I really like but those records are pretty consistent from start to end, and the ones I would reach for right now.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #408 on: February 19, 2021, 08:29:39 AM »
Mine is here somewhere; I did a discography.   I love the inclusion of Unmasked and The Elder up top; I go to both of those records a lot.  I would have some of the 70's work higher and some of the 80's work lower, but that's a quibble. 

I'm also a bigger fan of the recent stuff: Sonic Boom and Monster.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #409 on: February 19, 2021, 08:47:43 AM »
Mine is here somewhere; I did a discography.   I love the inclusion of Unmasked and The Elder up top; I go to both of those records a lot.  I would have some of the 70's work higher and some of the 80's work lower, but that's a quibble. 

'Sonic Boom' was an excellent record—I'm not sure where I'd rank it, but I still listen to it fairly regularly (sounds so fresh), which says something in and of itself.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #410 on: February 20, 2021, 03:57:59 AM »
I have tried ranking the albums as well. I managed to include the solo records as well:

1. Rock and roll over
2. Destroyer

3. Kiss
4. Hotter than hell
5. Dressed to kill

6. Creatures of the night
7. Animalize
8. Lick it up
9. Gene Simmons
10. Love gun
11. Dynasty
12. Music from "The Elder"
13. Sonic boom

14. Unmasked
15. Ace Frehley
16. Hot in the shade
17. Revenge

18. Monster
19. Asylum
20. Paul Stanley
21. Psycho circus

22. Crazy nights
23. Peter Criss
24. Carnival of souls: The Final sessions

Offline DTA

« Reply #411 on: February 20, 2021, 04:42:29 AM »
Oh, man, what an interesting take on the discography! Can you elaborate on prefering the 80s material to a good bunch of the 70s classics? Seeing three of their best known albums at the bottom is very intriquing. Not to mention Unmasked and The Elder being ranked up high.

Maybe I'd also try to put together my own list as well, it might be difficult, though.

I'm not really a fan of the "classic rock" sound of the 70's overall. Whether it comes to Alice Cooper, Kiss, or Rush, I just gravitate towards the more keyboard-heavy, harder-edged sound of the 80's. I'm also a huge fan of pop music, and everything got a lot catchier and poppier in the 80's. Destroyer has precisely two great songs to my ears (DRC/GoT) and then a whole bunch of middling nonsense. Shout It Out Loud and Do You Love Me are just dreadful imo. Love Gun is even worse for me, with the title track being only ok to my ears and I Stole Your Love being the only real standout. Almost Human is cool too. I cannot honestly understand how people can rank Love Gun over a good portion of the 80's albums. Song for song, something like Asylum just destroys it.

Unmasked is a pop masterpiece. Ace kills it with his songs, and Gene and Paul's contributions are also incredibly solid. It's like Iron Maiden's situation to me, where new fans are basically taught that they're supposed to dislike No Prayer For The Dying and Fear of the Dark and rank Number of the Beast at the top. But there's a ton of great material on those albums. As a newcomer to Kiss, it feels like new fans are told they're supposed to glorify Destroyer and Love Gun but regard Unmasked and The Elder as trash because they "didn't sell well". Of course the band ignores all the shit I like in their setlists so concerts are a struggle for me.

I admit that my favorites usually tend to run opposite to what the majority chooses so maybe there's a bit of me rooting for the underdog.

I like Sonic Boom a lot more than Monster but both are very listenable. I'm An Animal is one of my favorite Gene songs and Say Yeah is really anthemic.

Offline DTA

« Reply #412 on: February 20, 2021, 04:48:35 AM »
Interesting. I've owned 99% of the catalogue.

I'll do a quick top three:

1. Kiss
2. Crazy Nights
3. Dynasty
4. Pail Stanley

There's lots of others I really like but those records are pretty consistent from start to end, and the ones I would reach for right now.

Crazy Nights gets a lot of shit, but it's so insanely upbeat and catchy that I can't help but love it. Reason To Live is the only real dud on there to me. Paul Stanley's solo record is a better Kiss album than a bunch of the others imo so glad to see those two ranked high on someone's list.

I have tried ranking the albums as well. I managed to include the solo records as well:

1. Rock and roll over
2. Destroyer

3. Kiss
4. Hotter than hell
5. Dressed to kill

6. Creatures of the night
7. Animalize
8. Lick it up
9. Gene Simmons
10. Love gun
11. Dynasty
12. Music from "The Elder"
13. Sonic boom

14. Unmasked
15. Ace Frehley
16. Hot in the shade
17. Revenge

18. Monster
19. Asylum
20. Paul Stanley
21. Psycho circus

22. Crazy nights
23. Peter Criss
24. Carnival of souls: The Final sessions

Well, we agree on Carnival  :lol...what a piece of garbage that album is. Rock And Roll Over has Take Me which I find to be one of the most underrated songs of theirs from the 70's. I love that song.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #413 on: February 20, 2021, 06:43:18 AM »
I appreciate some of the more agressive bits in the 80s indeed. Creatures, Lick it up and Animalize are almost as good as the early classics in my opinion. However, Asylum and Crazy nights are a bit too bright and sweet for my taste.

I also think that the raw production on the early albums does not take away from the heaviness of the songs. To my ears, when it comes down the riffs and guitar playing overall, it's just as powerful as the 80s albums I mentioned.

Speaking of the pop influences, I'm suprised Gene's album doesn't appeal to you more. It's very catchy.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: February 20, 2021, 07:07:51 AM »
1     Hotter Than Hell (1974)
2     Creatures of the Night (1982)
3     Destroyer (1976)
4     Rock and Roll  Over (1976)
5     Kiss (1974)   
6     Paul Stanley (1978)
7     Music From The Elder (1982)
8     Alive II Side 4 (1977)
9     Unmasked (1980)
10     Sonic Boom (2009)
11     Dynasty (1979)
12      Lick It Up (1983)
13     Dressed To Kill (1975)
14     Monster (2012)
15     Ace Frehley (1978)
16     Love Gun (1977)
17     Gene Simmons (1978)
18     Hot In The Shade (1989)
19     Killers Studio Tracks (1982)
20     Animalize (1984)
21     Revenge (1992)
22     Psycho Circus (1998)
23     Asylum (1985)
24     Crazy Nights (1987)
25     Smashes Studio Tracks (1988)
26     Carnival of Souls (199
27     Peter Criss (1978)

This is my list now.

This was 6 - 12 on my "Discography" list from 2016 (which are the only changes): 

6     Lick It Up (1983)
7        Paul Stanley (1978)
8     Music From The Elder (1982)
9     Alive II Side 4 (1977)
10     Dynasty (1979)
11       Unmasked (1980)
12     Sonic Boom (2009)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #415 on: February 20, 2021, 06:10:39 PM »
Stadler, I don't suppose there's any chance you'll ever do a "proper" discography for KISS, is there?  I was really looking forward to going through the catalogue chronologically and getting the dirt on all the changes and all the details.  By jumping around the way you did, that journey-through-time aspect was lost.  I didn't end up following.  But I'd still love to go through the discography with someone who really knows all aspects of the band, and you seem the guy to do it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #416 on: February 20, 2021, 06:13:09 PM »
Yeah Stadler!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: February 20, 2021, 06:22:20 PM »
Stadler, I don't suppose there's any chance you'll ever do a "proper" discography for KISS, is there?  I was really looking forward to going through the catalogue chronologically and getting the dirt on all the changes and all the details.  By jumping around the way you did, that journey-through-time aspect was lost.  I didn't end up following.  But I'd still love to go through the discography with someone who really knows all aspects of the band, and you seem the guy to do it.

if everyone doesn't mind a little repeat, I'd do it.  Sure. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: February 20, 2021, 08:09:17 PM »
I would be so in.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #419 on: February 21, 2021, 10:08:38 AM »
Me too. Absolutely.