Author Topic: Official KISS thread  (Read 49397 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Official KISS thread?
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2014, 07:31:26 PM »
I'm gonna go through this thread like a hot knife,

Through butterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

LOVE that song.  I think Lick it Up is an under-rated classic.   Under-rated in the sense that I think many people dismiss it as a couple of hits and some filler.  I love every track on that entire album.   It's essentially CotN part 2, and I think it's almost as strong.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2014, 09:44:03 PM »
Animalize is one of my all-time favorite 80's albums, period.

Animalize is pretty good, for me mostly the first 4 tracks plus Under the Gun. Great stuff there. I can't help but laugh at those solos though. :lol

As for Gene being bad in the '80s, I find generally if Gene's having a good album, it's a good album. If Gene isn't, then it's going to be a bad album. He put the effort in on Revenge, and that's why it's such a great album (and probably my favourite KISS album).

And I don't mind Read My Body. That's not to say it's good, but I like it! I prefer Prisoner of Love though. :hat
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2014, 09:48:47 PM »

Animalize is pretty good, for me mostly the first 4 tracks plus Under the Gun. Great stuff there. I can't help but laugh at those solos though. :lol

Animalize is decent.   It's just that it's a bit of a transitional album from the heavy metal ass-kicking of CotN and LiU to some of the more "hair metal" fare of Asylum and Crazy Nights (which I thought were the equal of Unmasked...not totally unpleasant, but just a great big ball of MEH)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2014, 09:51:35 PM »

Animalize is decent.   It's just that it's a bit of a transitional album from the heavy metal ass-kicking of CotN and LiU to some of the more "hair metal" fare of Asylum and Crazy Nights (which I thought were the equal of Unmasked...not totally unpleasant, but just a great big ball of MEH)

I absolutely love the singles from those '80s albums, even though the albums overall have a lot of filler.  Still worlds better than Unmasked, which is worthless. Crazy Nights is a crappy song though.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2014, 09:55:21 PM »
Sorry....I view Unmasked the same way.   There are some really cool songs on that album.   Naked City being one of the best.   But it's about 3 or 4 cool songs among a sea of filler....just like Asylum.   (and probably better than the abysmal Crazy Nights)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 10:05:48 PM by jammindude »

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2014, 10:53:08 PM »
What is it with all the KISS/hockey tie-ins?

I don't know.  I hated the idea that they performed during the preshow and 1st intermission Kings/Ducks stadium game.  I just hated it so much.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2014, 11:21:23 PM »
I'd be far more likely to grab Crazy Nights for a listen than Hot In The Shade which I reckon is about 6 tracks too long.

Crazy Nights, I admit,  has more than its fair share of filler too (Bang Bang you and the like are some of the most cringe worthy stuff they've laid down) but for me , KISS is at its best when Paul is belting it out and I love tracks like I'd Fight Hell To Hold You and - yes - even My Way with all its cheese.  :blush

Bruce played like a champ on Crazy Nights too - it's a shame there weren't some better songs to round out the album and make the most of it as he toned it right down after Crazy Nights.   I agree with Blob that the consistency of a KISS album often had a lot to do with the quality of Gene's contributions .  Hence the respect for COTN and Revenge.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jammindude

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2014, 11:23:26 PM »
I'd be far more like to grab Crazy Nights for a listen than Hot In The Shade which I reckon is about 6 tracks too long.

Crazy Nights, I admit,  has more than its fair share of filler too (Bang Bang you and the like are some of the most cringe worthy stuff they've laid down) but for me , KISS is at its best when Paul is belting it out and I love tracks like I'd Fight Hell To Hold You and - yes - even My Way with all its cheese.

I'll give you HitS as well.   But it's in the same pile IMO. 

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2014, 11:46:13 PM »
One of the first bands I got into, as well. Saw Kiss at the Air Canada Centre in 2000 on the Psycho Circus tour. In third grade my friends and I dressed up like Kiss and performed at the talent show near the end of the year, playing "Rock N' Roll All Nite". Psycho Circus is quite an underrated record. "Within' is an insanely heavy tune--for Kiss, anyway.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2014, 02:51:11 AM »
Is there only me and Zydar  that love Unmasked? Every song is quality, though not  in a rock vein admittedly, especially Ace's contributions. He was on fire at this point (well from his solo album, Unmasked and Dynasty).

And I was happy with KISS' 80s output on the whole.
And what a kick up the arse Eric Carr's contribution was to 80s KISS. Creatures obviously being renowned fo that booming drum sound.

And yes, LiU is underrated.

"Love is sweet, so insane, come on lick my candy cane". Hair metal poetry right there... :lol

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2014, 04:21:27 AM »
Is there only me and Zydar  that love Unmasked? Every song is quality, though not  in a rock vein admittedly, especially Ace's contributions. He was on fire at this point (well from his solo album, Unmasked and Dynasty).

And what a kick up the arse Eric Carr's contribution was to 80s KISS. Creatures obviously being renowned fo that booming drum sound.

"Love is sweet, so insane, come on lick my candy cane". Hair metal poetry right there... :lol
I'm happy this thread started off with some 80's love. Paul was on fire during this period. Check for example out the vocal masturbation he does in an UP-TUNED Strutter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwTX4vrTX8w

Also, when we're talking about hair meal poetry, how about these awesome lines:

"I wanna put my log in your fireplace."
"Baby, feel my tower of power."
"You're good lookin' and you're lookin' like you should be good."

:metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2014, 04:30:54 AM »
You could just keep going with Stanley lyrics  ;D

"Put your hand in my pocket, grab onto my rocket" has to be one of the best opening lines to a song.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2014, 05:25:12 AM »
Just thought of this.............might be of interest.  Even if you're not into KISS it's interesting to see what a guessing game album sales figures can be over the period KISS has been in action.

https://www.kissfaq.com/forum11/viewtopic.php?t=70181

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2014, 06:22:41 AM »
I think Lick it up is a great album! I somewhat agree about Gene's imput in the eighty's though. And I remember buying Unmasked when it came out and being greatly disappointed. Loved some songs on there but not very much. I remember 'Is that you' being one of those. The only unmasked period album I haven't yet heard it Hot in the Shade.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2014, 08:50:20 AM »
I think Lick it up is a great album! I somewhat agree about Gene's imput in the eighty's though. And I remember buying Unmasked when it came out and being greatly disappointed. Loved some songs on there but not very much. I remember 'Is that you' being one of those. The only unmasked period album I haven't yet heard it Hot in the Shade.

You're really not missing much with HitS. Not many good songs there, on an overly long album too.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2014, 09:02:20 AM »
It still has Hide Your Heart, and Forever, which are must haves, and I really like Rise To It and Silver Spoon too. At least make sure you have those first two songs on a best of or something.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2014, 09:18:43 AM »
Yeah, 90%+ of HitS is crap.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2014, 09:41:36 AM »

I *like* Unmasked OK.   I was just looking at an online review of it yesterday from a hard core Kiss fan that I was totally in agreement with.   He was saying that even though Ace was his #1 favorite member of the band, this was his worst Kiss input material.   I agree.   I love Ace, but I didn't care for his input on this album.  Is That You is pretty good.   I don't like Two Sides of the Coin.   I used to like Torpedo Girl, but it hasn't aged well.   Gene probably got the best song on the album with Naked City. 

Every time I hear Unmasked, there's nothing I really DISlike, it's just kindof 3 or 4 decent songs and the rest are...just...there.    I've heard em a dozen times and all I can think is....yep, that sure is...a song. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2014, 11:35:55 AM »
It still has Hide Your Heart, and Forever, which are must haves, and I really like Rise To It and Silver Spoon too. At least make sure you have those first two songs on a best of or something.

I would add You Love Me To Hate You.  I love that song.  And Blob, Read My Body?!  Really?! :lol

Hey, that's on to put in the same riffs thread. It has Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar On Me all over it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2014, 02:23:14 PM »
I would add You Love Me To Hate You.  I love that song. 

I LOVE that song too! :tup

I *like* Unmasked OK.   I was just looking at an online review of it yesterday from a hard core Kiss fan that I was totally in agreement with.   He was saying that even though Ace was his #1 favorite member of the band, this was his worst Kiss input material.   I agree.   I love Ace, but I didn't care for his input on this album.  Is That You is pretty good.   I don't like Two Sides of the Coin.   I used to like Torpedo Girl, but it hasn't aged well.   Gene probably got the best song on the album with Naked City. 

Every time I hear Unmasked, there's nothing I really DISlike, it's just kindof 3 or 4 decent songs and the rest are...just...there.    I've heard em a dozen times and all I can think is....yep, that sure is...a song. 

Agreed about Ace. His songs suck on Unmasked, especially after him stealing the show on Dynasty. Other than Naked City, I love Tomorrow. I think it's one of their best tracks ever.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2014, 06:41:50 PM »
Yeah, 90%+ of HitS is crap.
But the tour for that album was immense. Check out the Detroit show on Kissology 2, one of my favorite Kiss live shows.

One of the first bands I ever liked, don't listen to them much anymore but they still have material I enjoy. Revenge is by far their best album.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2014, 07:03:34 PM »
Hot In the Shade was a great tour.  They finally started to do some great old tunes on that tour.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2014, 07:07:18 PM »
For the beach.............. I like the towel more than the album ;D

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 07:25:38 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2014, 09:34:30 PM »

I would add You Love Me To Hate You.  I love that song.  And Blob, Read My Body?!  Really?! :lol

Hey, that's on to put in the same riffs thread. It has Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar On Me all over it.

I never really made that connection with the riff, but the chord progression in the chorus is basically identical, so it's possible they decided to imitate the song. But the riff reminds me of an earlier '80s KISS riff style.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2014, 07:56:15 AM »
Hot In the Shade was a great tour.  They finally started to do some great old tunes on that tour.
Yes it was. I saw Paul on his solo tour the previous year, and he seemed to really be energized from that tour, and inspired that is was OK to dig deep into the vault. Seemed like for most of the 80's they tried to distance themselves musically from a lot of their 70's material.

And it seemed Ace, during this period was progressively going a little deeper on his tours, culminating in 1993 when he was doing Strange Ways.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2014, 08:08:19 AM »
I really like songs like I still love you, Tears are falling, Who wants to be lonely etc. Paul has always been a great songwriter.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2014, 08:15:18 AM »
Yes it was. I saw Paul on his solo tour the previous year, and he seemed to really be energized from that tour, and inspired that is was OK to dig deep into the vault. Seemed like for most of the 80's they tried to distance themselves musically from a lot of their 70's material.

And it seemed Ace, during this period was progressively going a little deeper on his tours, culminating in 1993 when he was doing Strange Ways.

I think that happened with a lot of bands in the 80's.  The 70's was such an important, defining period for rock and roll, but when the 80's came, there seemed to be a feeling that if it wasn't new, it wasn't cool.  Lots of bands reinvented themselves during this time, some with great results and some with more... mixed results.

Eventually, the acts that were still around came to realize that there were still people who wanted to hear the old stuff, and some of that old stuff was still pretty good.  Now, for bands that have been around for a while, it's a balancing act.  They want to play and promote the new stuff that they're excited about, but they know that lots of fans are there to hear the old hits.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2014, 08:21:37 AM »
Regarding Gene's 80's output, I know he referenced this in one of the home videos.  In the 80's, he was so busy doing movies and everything under the sun that wasn't Kiss, that it's no surprise his Kiss offerings paled in comparison to Paul's.  Paul was still almost completely focused on Kiss and only Kiss.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2014, 02:38:31 PM »

I tried to see them on that tour.  Got 4th row tickets tickets for a Spring or Summer show, which ended up getting postponed because Paul was in a limo accident.  So, I went to the rescheduled show on Halloween night.  KISS backed out at the last minute, so it ended up just being a Slaughter/Winger show.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2014, 03:00:26 PM »
I got Danger Danger and Slaughter for that tour.  That was my first concert.  HitS wasn't a great album, but yeah, the tour was great.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2014, 03:14:04 PM »
I got Danger Danger and Slaughter for that tour.  That was my first concert.  HitS wasn't a great album, but yeah, the tour was great.
We got Slaughter and Little Caesar. Skipped them both to drink more!!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2014, 03:31:05 PM »

I'd take that line up. I saw them with Danger Danger on possibly the Revenge tour. A good match.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2014, 04:01:09 PM »
Winger and Slaughter so it was an awesome 2 shows I went to.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2014, 04:19:28 PM »
When I first started buying KISS albums I got most from a market stall, 2nd hand. A few of them were in red vinyl, but it was only noticeable if you held them up to the light. Worth money I believe... And I only paid £2.50 each. Off the top of my head I think they were Alive, Destroyer, Dynasty, Rock n Roll Over.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2014, 10:12:12 PM »
KISS has been my favorite band dating back to 1975 when I was 7 years old and got the Alive! double album with a new record player for Christmas.  I was a pretty rabid fan from '75 onward although Gene's wandering eye and devotion to becoming a movie star in the 80s pissed me off because I thought his contributions to the albums from about '84-'88 were half-assed .... the band might have died in the 80s if not for Paul.  When I saw the Farewell tour in 2000 it pissed me off that they went back out after that with Tommy and Eric in makeup and for a time stuck to my view that the band ended when the farewell tour ended.  Later, when they put out new music with the new guys in makeup, I came back around to listening to it -- and enjoying it.  So, I'm still a fan, but a bit more jaded about their current incarnation.

Unlike some of the other posts here I loved HITS and thought it was a welcome return to form after the inept songwriting on Crazy Nights, then Revenge just built on what HITS reignited.  I'd put Crazy Nights and Carnival of Souls at the bottom of my list for worst releases in their careers.  Favorite albums would have to be Dressed to Kill, Hotter Than Hell and Rock And Roll Over.

I've seen the band 15 times dating back to the Love Gun tour in '77 and I've amassed about 200 live shows on audio and video from throughout all of their eras.  There's also probably an inordinate proportion of my brain occupied with KISS trivia and historical facts.  :lol  I've also collected a fair bit of KISS memorabilia over the years -- my favorite items are two signed albums -- "Alive!" signed by the original 4 and "Creatures" signed by Gene, Paul, Eric Carr and Ace (yes, Ace, not Vinnie, even though Ace didn't play on it).   I also have a copy of the KISS autobiography "Nothin' To Lose" signed by Paul and Gene and Ace and Peter's autobiographies signed by each of them.   :tup

Gene and Paul can both piss me off at times these days, especially with some of the HOF drama lately, but in the end they've been my lifelong favorite band even though at times there have been other flavors of the month I like more for a short span of time.  In the end, though, if I were permitted only one band to listen to on a desert island for the rest of my life, it would be KISS. :2metal: