Author Topic: Official KISS thread  (Read 49389 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Official KISS thread?
« Reply #315 on: April 19, 2019, 06:42:08 AM »
I have and will continue to pass on Peter's solo album, out of principle.   

"Out of principle"?

I've come to believe he's a toxic tool.   I saw the Kiss/Aerosmith co-headlining tour (his last) and he was bitching about money, and appearing each night with a "tear" drawn into his makeup.  He was all about the money, but he was putting it back on the fans ("oh the fans deserve the real Kiss" blah blah blah) and when I saw them he turned in one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a major, headlining act.   I'm convinced to this day that there was help, that the band had a drummer backstage or under the stage.  He was disrespectful to the Kiss name.   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #316 on: April 19, 2019, 06:54:44 AM »
You can add it sucks as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DTA

« Reply #317 on: June 15, 2019, 10:07:05 AM »
I've been listening to KISS a bit more than usual lately. I don't know why, I just seem to be drawn to bands with huge discographies to discover. I have Kiss, Destroyer, Love Gun, Dynasty, Creatures, Lick It Up, and Crazy Nights and I find Destroyer to easily be the weakest of the bunch even though it routinely gets labeled as their best. What am I missing with this album? Creatures Of The Night is clearly the best out of all these and I also really like Dynasty and Crazy Nights (even though this is generally regarded as one of their worst). I think I just like what 70's bands did in the 80's better. Same with Rush. I'll take Power Windows/Hold Your Fire over Farewell To Kings/Hemispheres any day.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #318 on: June 17, 2019, 05:38:38 AM »
I've been listening to KISS a bit more than usual lately. I don't know why, I just seem to be drawn to bands with huge discographies to discover. I have Kiss, Destroyer, Love Gun, Dynasty, Creatures, Lick It Up, and Crazy Nights and I find Destroyer to easily be the weakest of the bunch even though it routinely gets labeled as their best. What am I missing with this album? Creatures Of The Night is clearly the best out of all these and I also really like Dynasty and Crazy Nights (even though this is generally regarded as one of their worst). I think I just like what 70's bands did in the 80's better. Same with Rush. I'll take Power Windows/Hold Your Fire over Farewell To Kings/Hemispheres any day.
Paul Stanley's singing is substantially better in the 80's (does anyone know if he took vocal lessons or something? He went from screaming the high notes to properly singing them, while still containing the power of his voice, which is awesome!) but other than that, I find the 80's stuff much more uneven. But the highs were generelly REALLY high.

As far as Destroyer goes, I think you've got to have the context in which it was released - before that, Kiss was really one-dimensional in their sound and song writing and Bob Ezrin brought stuff out of them that felt fresh and new. Also, it contains Detroit Rock City, one of the very best rock songs in the history, so there's that.  :metal :metal :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline DTA

« Reply #319 on: June 20, 2019, 02:33:34 PM »
Paul Stanley's singing is substantially better in the 80's (does anyone know if he took vocal lessons or something? He went from screaming the high notes to properly singing them, while still containing the power of his voice, which is awesome!) but other than that, I find the 80's stuff much more uneven. But the highs were generelly REALLY high.

As far as Destroyer goes, I think you've got to have the context in which it was released - before that, Kiss was really one-dimensional in their sound and song writing and Bob Ezrin brought stuff out of them that felt fresh and new. Also, it contains Detroit Rock City, one of the very best rock songs in the history, so there's that.  :metal :metal :metal

I do notice that his voice was way better in the 80's. I just find the 70's really uneven and crammed with filler and unmemorable rock songs. From Destroyer the only songs I find listenable are Detroit Rock City (aside from the annoying intro), King Of The Night Time World, Sweet Pain, and Shout It Out Loud whereas I can enjoy pretty much all of Lick It Up except Dance All Over Your Face but even that song has some cool riffs. Dynasty is the first 70's album that I can enjoy all the way through (and it's mainly Ace's songs on there that I love). I think I'm just into the 80's production/sound more.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: June 21, 2019, 10:30:49 AM »
Die hard Kiss fan, and devoted to the first six, because that's what I grew up with.  I prefer that Who-ish, Gibson-based riffage (think 'Black Diamond') to the more trebly, Jackson-based riffage (think 'Exciter'), but having said that, those 80's albums - from Creatures through Asylum - are solid as a rock.   VERY consistent.   It doesn't surprise me at all that Animalize is actually one of their better selling records (platinum; by contrast, Love Gun is also platinum, and Destroyer is only double platinum*)

* There is some controversy though; Gene and Paul have both said that most of their records have sold more than listed, but they don't bother going through the recertification process, because it only costs them money, through increased royalty payouts.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: August 12, 2019, 06:33:17 PM »
So Kiss is coming to NJ Wednesday and well, it's not selling well at all.  Makes me on the look out for a cheap ticket to potentially see them again.  Kind of forgot about this show, being I saw them already on the tour but also since when they announced this, the MSG show was wayyyyy more intriguing to attend than Prudential Center.  However, this venue is super easy to get to especially after work.  I'm keeping my eye out, not must see but I would totally go if I felt the value was right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: August 13, 2019, 07:28:42 AM »
I've seen a couple videos from Virginia (including one of my favorite songs, "Let Me Go, Rock and Roll" and it seemed pretty good.   I can't get to any of the shows that are near me on this leg, but if they come within an hour or so on any subsequent legs (I understand there are at least two more legs), and I can do what you're thinking of (a cheap ticket, last minute), I'll go.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #323 on: August 13, 2019, 10:17:22 AM »
one of my favorite songs, "Let Me Go, Rock and Roll"

:metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: August 13, 2019, 10:23:29 AM »
There's suite tickets labelled "all inclusive" for the price I paid for a nose bleed at MSG.  I wonder if that includes booze because if so, that's a no brainer. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: August 15, 2019, 10:57:50 AM »
Didn't include booze  :lol but wow that was an awesome spread of delicious food. I'm on my diet but was able to feast of swordfish and grilled chicken.  I did have some roast beef too, and a taste of shrimp pasta  :lol .... and a chocolate covered strawberry... anyway

this video came out REALLY well, visually and sound.  (and the Kiss trolls are out again in the comments  :lol)

Kiss - Detroit Rock City Live @ Prudential Center NJ

The suite was practically empty too, I had plenty of room to rock out while eating.  Only problem for me is I can't edit my full video tonight but I'll have that up as soon as I can get to it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: August 15, 2019, 11:19:32 AM »
I don't know; that looked pretty good (and it looked like Paul was really singing, for better or worse).   

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #327 on: August 15, 2019, 04:14:45 PM »
Not sure if I posted earlier, went to see them a few weeks ago in Manchester UK. Show was excellent. Paul’s Voice was ok or what it is now and he kept away from too many high notes - and I didn’t catch any miming.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. KISS’ idea of a set list and mine are two wildly different things.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: August 15, 2019, 04:54:47 PM »
Yea, this whole lip syncing thing seems out of hand.  Didn't look/sound like it, and yea, for better or mostly worse.  He doesn't sound the greatest, but it is what it is.  Id rather this than faking it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: August 15, 2019, 08:05:15 PM »
People seem to be enjoying the shows which is the main thing.   I am going to see them in November .  If it was just me I might've thought twice (having seen them 7-8 times before) but this is the one chance I will have for my son to experience a KISS show ,so it's on!  :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #330 on: August 15, 2019, 10:44:21 PM »
People seem to be enjoying the shows which is the main thing.   I am going to see them in November .  If it was just me I might've thought twice (having seen them 7-8 times before) but this is the one chance I will have for my son to experience a KISS show ,so it's on!  :metal

I'm sure he'll have a great time, Brent.

I gave KISS my last dollar many years ago.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: February 19, 2020, 03:10:33 PM »
Thought this was kind of cool if you are a Peter Criss fan...

When I saw John 5 perform last weekend, he called out Peter Criss for being at the venue watching the show before going into a cover medley starting with Detroit Rock City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRFgfc506gE

but what's kind of cool, last time Rob Zombie performed local (these venues are about 20 minutes apart), Peter Criss was also there and got called out.  In case you are wondering the relation, John 5 is the guitarist of Rob Zombie. 

https://youtu.be/On4IAqakZsA?t=952

Not sure that was worth the bump or not, but I was fascinated by John 5/Rob Zombie love for Kiss (who they are clearly influenced by in terms of looks and stage show).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #332 on: February 19, 2020, 03:41:54 PM »
Not sure that bringing out Peter Criss is ever cool, but thank you for letting me know who the hell John 5 is.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: February 20, 2020, 07:41:43 AM »
From what I understand, John 5 is a HUGE Kiss fan and avid collector (him and Sebastian Bach).  https://www.instagram.com/knightsinsatanservice/

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: February 20, 2020, 07:44:56 AM »
What does that instagram have to do with them?  Does John 5 own that?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: February 20, 2020, 08:20:16 AM »
What does that instagram have to do with them?  Does John 5 own that?

Yep, as I understand it.  That's all his stuff.   I'm not sure why he did that, but that's his collection.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: February 20, 2020, 08:25:52 AM »
I guess if I scrolled through further I would have known that but it didn't say in the about part that it was John 5's collection. That is massive for one person  :lol

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #337 on: February 20, 2020, 01:05:20 PM »
His Instagram is amazing!  He has tons of stuff I've never seen before or even knew existed!  A new post every day.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: February 21, 2020, 08:16:33 AM »
He's pretty fond (and rightfully so) of saying "I have stuff that even GENE doesn't have!" (and for those that don't know, Gene has WAREHOUSES of Kiss stuff.  From what I understand, they've saved EVERYTHING.)

By the way, I was watching the "Brady Renovation" on HGTV, where all the home rehab stars (The Property Brothers, etc.) redid the original Brady House to match the set (the interior on the original house was nothing like the actual set, in fact, it was a completely different layout).   At the end, they had a party where they unveiled the final product, and select "celebrities" (in quotes because some of them weren't even D-list) were invited.  To my surprise, there is John 5 marching through the living room and posing on the stairs!  Apparently he's a big fan of either the Brady's specifically or 70's TV generally.  Guy's a hoarder, if you ask me.  :)

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #339 on: February 21, 2020, 01:44:54 PM »
To my surprise, there is John 5 marching through the living room and posing on the stairs!  Apparently he's a big fan of either the Brady's specifically or 70's TV generally.  Guy's a hoarder, if you ask me.  :)
He's a big pop culture fan.  But, I do know that both he and Rob Zombie are big Brady fans.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #340 on: May 19, 2020, 07:55:15 AM »
This video popped up on my feed this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5N7T-G1d94

Spectacular cover.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: May 19, 2020, 09:49:57 AM »
That was pretty good.   I liked that.   I loved the guy's shirt though.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: May 19, 2020, 10:37:47 AM »
Tim, that's the singer in the band I just sent in Rich's Rich's Roulette.  From Southern Empire.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #343 on: May 19, 2020, 11:01:18 AM »
You have special powers

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: May 19, 2020, 11:03:08 AM »
Just like in Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park.  :lol

Offline DTA

« Reply #345 on: May 19, 2020, 11:09:01 AM »
That was great...anyone know why the band never really played that one all that much live? It's catchy as hell

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #346 on: May 26, 2020, 05:16:27 PM »
From the "Bad" album thread..

WOW, the bulk of my listening falls into this category.

Kiss:  Unmasked and The Elder are both favorites

The Elder is awesome. Do you feel like it was probably just a few years too late to be successful? I think if came out in 1976 then it would've been more liked.

I've literally been thinking about these posts all day.

I am not sure when The Elder would've been successful. As a follow up to Destroyer? maybe, but there's no way you could've gotten Ace and Peter to go along with it. Isn't that why they wanted Eddie Kramer for RNROver in the first place?

In my opinion, there was no point in their career that The Elder was going to be successful. It's only chance of success is it's current success...by fogeys romanticizing about it.

Oh, and Eric Carr signed my CD cover. :metal

Offline DTA

« Reply #347 on: May 27, 2020, 06:21:34 AM »
Band politics aside, I think it's more in that The Elder feels like a 70's album. When I think of the 80's, I think hard-rock/metal/synth-pop, but when I think of the 70's I think hard-rock/disco/funk/progressive rock/singer-songwriter stuff/etc. The 70's just seem way more eclectic musically and something like The Elder fits better.

It's crazy to think that they released something every year from 1980-1984 and aside from Lick It Up/Animalize being similar, the others sound worlds different from each other.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: May 29, 2020, 12:42:18 PM »
I just read kn Bruce Kulick's page that his brother Bob passed away.  R.I.P. Bob.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #349 on: May 29, 2020, 05:06:50 PM »
Damn, that blows.

I was checking my Paul Stanley pics hoping to have him in a shot, but unfortunately I don't.