Author Topic: Official KISS thread  (Read 50269 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Official KISS thread?
« Reply #280 on: February 25, 2019, 11:10:28 AM »
The problem with that is that Kiss had more compilations than studio albums (and even a LIVE compilation, which, I might add, had "I Stole Your Love" on it.)

But I'll go with (in chronological order):

Goin' Blind*
Strange Ways*
Flaming Youth
Love 'Em And Leave 'Em
See You In Your Dreams
All American Man
Rockin' In The USA
Larger Than Life*
X-Ray Eyes
Naked City
She's So European
Only You
Under The Rose
Not For The Innocent
Trial By Fire
Within*

More than 10, but the ones with asterisks are on the box set, so might be disqualified.   For the record, I didn't have to really stretch for any of these.   I'd be very hard pressed to name my top ten Kiss songs (there'd be a LOT of really, really favorite songs on the cutting room floor.)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: February 25, 2019, 02:48:26 PM »
I Stole Your Love
War Machine
Not for the Innocent
Heart of Chrome
Secretly Cruel
Magic Touch
A Million to One
Exciter
King of the Mountain
Into the Fire
Easy as it Seems

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #282 on: February 26, 2019, 11:47:13 AM »
King of the Night Time World
Love 'Em and Leave 'Em
Ladies in Waiting
Mr. Speed
Love Her All I Can
Take Me
I Stole Your Love
Magic Touch
You're All That I Want
Tomorrow

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: March 20, 2019, 06:18:30 PM »
One week until Kiss comes to MSG.  I only have one CD, a greatest hits, but besides listening to that, I also have watched this entire show from 96 at MSG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fN8GtIP3kQ  Pretty cool stuff.  I really haven't given Kiss any listening time, besides when a song just comes on randomly, in like 15 years.  I think this show is going to be a lot of fun, really looking forward to it now. (that performance has many flaws, but it just comes off as fun so I couldn't give a shit about the poor solos and whatnot).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: March 21, 2019, 06:24:44 AM »
One week until Kiss comes to MSG.  I only have one CD, a greatest hits, but besides listening to that, I also have watched this entire show from 96 at MSG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fN8GtIP3kQ  Pretty cool stuff.  I really haven't given Kiss any listening time, besides when a song just comes on randomly, in like 15 years.  I think this show is going to be a lot of fun, really looking forward to it now. (that performance has many flaws, but it just comes off as fun so I couldn't give a shit about the poor solos and whatnot).

That's the show from one of the "Kissology" Bonus Disks.  It was the third night of a four night stand; I saw two nights before, the opening night at MSG, and it was the best I've ever seen Kiss.   Yeah, there were rough spots, but being in their living room (as Paul says before Cold Gin, it's essentially a home town show for them) is a treat.  As long as you go in knowing it's not going to be Dream Theater/Mahavishnu Orchestra levels of instrumental insanity you will have a great time. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: March 25, 2019, 09:43:23 AM »
Yea, I mean, even at DT shows I dont go in expecting perfection (although some bands I expect better performances than others).  I expect a fun show, not a perfect musical performance. 

Anyway, I realized my greatest hits album I got as a kid "Smashes, Thrashes, and Hits" has two songs that were new to that album, and I happen to really like them.  I mean, the lyrical content is super cheesy and both songs kind of sound the same, but man Rock Hard is such an awesome fun rocker song.  I'd love to see that one live.  Anyway, I'm in full Kiss mode for the next couple days.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #286 on: March 31, 2019, 05:19:06 PM »
Well, I was one of the guys who was sh*tting on KISS back in February in this thread.  This past Wednesday was the MSG show.  I gotta say, it was pretty great.  My daughter absolutely loved it which totally made the night.  But, the show itself was really good, way better than I expected.  They sounded good.  Maybe Paul is still lip syncing, maybe he isn't. I couldn't tell.  And, there were enough ad libs in to prove that it's at least partially live.  He definitely sounds better than I've heard in recordings from previous tours.  And, the stage is amazing.  It's gotta be at least part of the reason why there is no opening band.  I wouldn't want an opening band running around on that stage if it were mine either.  I'm not gonna kid myself and deny that a painter is way cheaper than an opening band.  But, it was mildly entertaining.  Talented guy.

For anyone on the fence about going, I'd definitely recommend it.  As far as rock shows go, there isn't a better production out there today.  And, it's just a lot of fun.  I got to see them at MSG in '85, '96 and now 2019.  Nostalgia aside, this was definitely the best overall show of the three.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: April 01, 2019, 01:12:20 PM »
That's kind of amazing if you rate it above those.  I agree with pretty much everything you said too, I've been trying to watch my video closely to notice lip syncing, I think they do it during the singalong chorus parts, but Paul's solo spots seem pretty legit from what I've noticed.  He's not perfect, but he's pretty good overall and especially considering the negativity around his voice, he really out performed from my expectations.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: April 01, 2019, 01:35:02 PM »
That's kind of amazing if you rate it above those.  I agree with pretty much everything you said too, I've been trying to watch my video closely to notice lip syncing, I think they do it during the singalong chorus parts, but Paul's solo spots seem pretty legit from what I've noticed.  He's not perfect, but he's pretty good overall and especially considering the negativity around his voice, he really out performed from my expectations.

They've been lipsynching the background vocals since... well, for at least 25 years.   I know I've seen them multiple times, and if they are lipsynched ANY of the main vocals at any of the shows I've seen, I'd be STUNNED, unless they are SO fucking good at it that they "program in" duffed lyrics, ad libs and imperfections.   Plus, these guys are not shy; meaning, I can't believe they are at all ashamed about a croaked line or a cracked voice.   Finally, to have an entire 2 hour show SO "memorized" that you can synch up the vocals for 20 songs, sounds like more work than it's worth. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: April 01, 2019, 01:38:10 PM »
Yea, the backing vocals is normal for so many bands, but my thoughts were, if that's the lip syncing everyones all pissed about, they got bigger fish to fry because Paul was pretty good and it looks/sounds legit because you can certainly tell he isn't perfect either (whcih is fine for me, I prefer live with all the flaws).

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #290 on: April 01, 2019, 01:39:31 PM »

They've been lipsynching the background vocals since... well, for at least 25 years.   I know I've seen them multiple times, and if they are lipsynched ANY of the main vocals at any of the shows I've seen, I'd be STUNNED, unless they are SO fucking good at it that they "program in" duffed lyrics, ad libs and imperfections.   Plus, these guys are not shy; meaning, I can't believe they are at all ashamed about a croaked line or a cracked voice.   Finally, to have an entire 2 hour show SO "memorized" that you can synch up the vocals for 20 songs, sounds like more work than it's worth.

Just to address the final part, if they're playing to a click (no idea), it's no different than any other backing tracks. Actually not a ton of work. Less than an hour probably.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #291 on: April 01, 2019, 06:41:34 PM »
Earlier shows were very obvious with the lip syncing - Gene's vocals still coming through loud and clear while he's already turned his back on the mic and is 5 feet away from it.  As far as this show goes, I'm totally willing to suspend my disbelief and consider most of the vocals to be live.  It was great fun.  One thing I'm simply just genuinely curious about is whether Eric Singer knows how to play the piano or is only sitting behind it.  I could care less either way really.  Bottom line, great show.  Glad I decided to go.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #292 on: April 01, 2019, 07:25:28 PM »
I honestly wouldn't doubt that Eric Singer could play the piano.  Is he playing the piano while singing? I doubt it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: April 02, 2019, 10:40:08 AM »
Earlier shows were very obvious with the lip syncing - Gene's vocals still coming through loud and clear while he's already turned his back on the mic and is 5 feet away from it.  As far as this show goes, I'm totally willing to suspend my disbelief and consider most of the vocals to be live.  It was great fun.  One thing I'm simply just genuinely curious about is whether Eric Singer knows how to play the piano or is only sitting behind it.  I could care less either way really.  Bottom line, great show.  Glad I decided to go.

This is what I meant by "memorizing" the set.  It's one thing to hit a cue, but it's another thing to remember every little vocal tick and idiosyncracy for an entire two hour set.  Maybe they can do it, who knows, but it seems implausible to me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: April 08, 2019, 11:56:51 AM »
https://twitter.com/genesimmons/status/1115269348166385664

I'm going to be super-bummed if this turns out to be a photoshop, but before then, this is what it's all about for me as well.  I was that kid once. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #295 on: April 08, 2019, 02:19:19 PM »

I'm going to be super-bummed if this turns out to be a photoshop, but before then, this is what it's all about for me as well.  I was that kid once.

Pretty sure he was looking at the kid's mother.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: April 08, 2019, 02:23:43 PM »
That's cool and it's good for rock music to have young kids love it and be included.  Just sucks when you click that and its followed by such negative comments. I've definitely learned the Kiss trolls are very real and strong in numbers, probably low in IQ too.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: April 09, 2019, 08:12:10 AM »

Pretty sure he was looking at the kid's mother.

I was.  I mean, he was.  :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: April 09, 2019, 08:17:46 AM »
That's cool and it's good for rock music to have young kids love it and be included.  Just sucks when you click that and its followed by such negative comments. I've definitely learned the Kiss trolls are very real and strong in numbers, probably low in IQ too.

I'm with you.  There's no 'face value' anymore.    And I would put it in the "mildly irritating" thread, except it's MASSIVELY irritating to me:  The "KI$$" with the dollar signs.  I get it with Gene - he's done that himself in autographs for years - but if you don't like the Kiss machine, don't play.  It's that simple.  I know for me, I've spent a ton of money on them, and in hindsight?  I got my money's worth times three.  I've met all of them except Peter, Bruce, Eric and Tommy, and they've all been nicer than I could ever hope for.   I've seen them more than any other band, and never seen a BAD show.   I have all the records, and I still listen to most of them regularly (I had Double Platinum on in the shower just two days ago).   I have a "Paul Stanley" hanging in my living room (it's called "Karma") and every person that comes into the room comments on it without having any idea who the artist is. 

All I know is Paul keeps posting those end of show shots of the arenas from the back of the stage and EVERY ONE is full.  Phillips Arena in Atlanta:  I'm guessing 20,000, and it was FULL.    Why not let those that enjoy it, enjoy it, without your cynical, jaded, judgmental bullshit? 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: April 09, 2019, 08:37:57 AM »
Yea, I get the criticisms of the band and I don't even disagree with all of them, but the trolls who just dump and dump for no other reason than to dump is just annoying.  Especially when it's a photo of a kid, like seriously, that's probably an awesome moment for that child so let them enjoy it. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #300 on: April 09, 2019, 08:39:31 AM »

I'm with you.  There's no 'face value' anymore.    And I would put it in the "mildly irritating" thread, except it's MASSIVELY irritating to me:  The "KI$$" with the dollar signs.  I get it with Gene - he's done that himself in autographs for years - but if you don't like the Kiss machine, don't play.  It's that simple.  I know for me, I've spent a ton of money on them, and in hindsight?  I got my money's worth times three.  I've met all of them except Peter, Bruce, Eric and Tommy, and they've all been nicer than I could ever hope for.   I've seen them more than any other band, and never seen a BAD show.   I have all the records, and I still listen to most of them regularly (I had Double Platinum on in the shower just two days ago).   I have a "Paul Stanley" hanging in my living room (it's called "Karma") and every person that comes into the room comments on it without having any idea who the artist is. 

All I know is Paul keeps posting those end of show shots of the arenas from the back of the stage and EVERY ONE is full.  Phillips Arena in Atlanta:  I'm guessing 20,000, and it was FULL.    Why not let those that enjoy it, enjoy it, without your cynical, jaded, judgmental bullshit?

You sound a bit intolerant of the intolerant.  :biggrin:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: April 09, 2019, 08:54:24 AM »
Yea, I get the criticisms of the band and I don't even disagree with all of them, but the trolls who just dump and dump for no other reason than to dump is just annoying.  Especially when it's a photo of a kid, like seriously, that's probably an awesome moment for that child so let them enjoy it.

I think I've told you the story of my daugher and Paul Stanley back when she was about 5 or 6.  She's a fan to this day. 

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #302 on: April 12, 2019, 06:49:54 PM »
I've met all of them except Peter, Bruce, Eric and Tommy, and they've all been nicer than I could ever hope for.   I've seen them more than any other band, and never seen a BAD show.
The only time I've met Peter and Ace was at a convention back around (I think) the time of their their Bad Boys tour.  Surprisingly, Peter was in amazing spirits.  The woman in line in front of me went to the same public school as him.  He was laughing with her and gave her a big hug.  Not surprisingly, unfortunately, Ace was a complete dick.  He had his sunglasses on and was a complete bear.  His sharpie ran out just as he was signing my album jacket for KISS/KISS.  Without looking, he threw it in back of himself and started yelling for another sharpie.  The only thing I can think of his behavior is that he was less than sober at this time and he probably had a raging hangover (or was already drunk).  Thankfully, the signing order was Ace, then Peter.

Bruce is always super nice, as is Eric.  I've met them both at NJ KISS Expos and when I met the entire Revenge-era band at a meet-and-greet at The Ritz.  All 4 were cool then.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #303 on: April 12, 2019, 06:52:49 PM »
We met Eric Carr in 1990 and he was so totally cool.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: April 15, 2019, 05:26:13 PM »
Kiss fan, you guys know that at this point, so I'm inclined to give benefits of the doubt...   but why in god's name would ANYONE take the chance on this at this point?

https://eddietrunk.com/former-kiss-guitarist-vinnie-vincent-to-perform-at-speedballjamm-in-nashville-on-june-7th/

$300 a pop, direct to HIS PayPal address (as opposed to a promoter/ticket broker, who presumably would provide SOME guarantees).   One autograph, unless you have $500 to pony up in which case he'll autograph your axe or your pick guard.   

Don't get me wrong; if he pulls it off, it's a nice little payday, but I know for me, I'm willing to sit by and see if this actually lifts off.   (And not for nothing, but if Carmine Appice and/or Tony Franklin - or their teams - can't get Vinnie on stage, what the hell are Mike Weeks or Chuck White - not going to credit them with having a "team" - going to do?)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #305 on: April 15, 2019, 05:54:29 PM »
I think all of the money goes to his breast enhancements.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #306 on: April 16, 2019, 04:44:56 PM »
I don't know if anyone's interested in this discussion at this point, but I listened to the four 1978 solo albums last year and thought they all had some great stuff on them. However, the one I return to most often is Gene's solo album. I thought it was very solid vocally and features the catchiest songs, despite not being that loud and aggressive. See you tonite, Radioactive, Mr. Make believe, Man of a 1000 faces, Tunnel of love... All great tracks.

I've also thought about putting together an album of ten tunes and pretending it's a KISS album.  :lol It goes something like this:

1. Tonight you belong to me
2. Rip it out
3. See you tonite
4. You matter to me
5. It's alright
6. Radioactive
7. Speedin' back to my baby
8. Mr. Make believe
9. Love in chains
10. Don't you let me down

The ones that didn't make the cut are the Gene ones I listed above, as well as Snow blind, New York groove and Move on.

Anyone else a casual fan of those albums?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #307 on: April 16, 2019, 05:01:04 PM »
Huge fan of Paul's and Ace's. I still play them regularly in my rotation. I haven't heard the Peter album in almost 40 years, and the Gene album really doesn't do much for me.

I saw Paul's solo tour in 1989 and it was so cool to see him play those songs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: April 17, 2019, 07:10:44 AM »
That Paul record still stands up bigly.  I'm not the hugest fan of "Hold Me..."  but Take Me Away and Goodbye are as good as  anything in the Kiss catalogue. 

I have basically everything released by KIss at this point; I have the various Greatest Hits albums that have remixes and such, I have the box set, I have the imports (Killers)...  the only thing I don't have is the Ezrin remix of Destroyer and Peter's solo album.    I'll fish around Discogs or eBay for the Destroyer.  I have and will continue to pass on Peter's solo album, out of principle.   

My Kiss album called "Solo":
1. Tonight You Belong To Me
2.  Wiped Out
3.  Always Near You/Nowhere To Hide
4.   Love In Chains
5.   Man Of 1000 Faces
6.   Take Me Away (Together As One)
7.   Tunnel Of Love
8.   See You In Your Dreams
9.   Fractured Mirror
10. Goodbye

The bonus tracks on the Deluxe Edition would be:
It's Alright
See You Tonite
Ozone
I'm In Need Of Love
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 07:34:00 AM by Stadler »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #309 on: April 17, 2019, 07:20:41 AM »
Ooh, that's also a good one. I love how you solved the problem with the honorable mentions by creating the deluxe edition.  :lol

I agree with you guys that there's some great stuff on Paul's record. It's odd that you omitted Love in chains, Stadler, I think that one is the highlight of the album.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: April 17, 2019, 07:34:16 AM »
Fixed. I agree with you on Love In Chains.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #311 on: April 17, 2019, 09:27:58 AM »
I love the KISS Unplugged version of See You Tonight.

Offline Lowdz

HRe: Official KISS thread?
« Reply #312 on: April 17, 2019, 04:04:12 PM »
I love the KISS Unplugged version of See You Tonight.

I have a real soft spot for Gene’s solo album. Not what I wa# expecting and the cover is very misleading after the first 30 seconds, but some good songs.

The Paul solo album was top ten in my top 50 albums thread. Every second of it is awesome and my favourite KISS album.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: April 18, 2019, 08:02:47 PM »
I have and will continue to pass on Peter's solo album, out of principle.   

"Out of principle"?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #314 on: April 18, 2019, 08:28:33 PM »
The Peter Principle.