Author Topic: Official KISS thread  (Read 49378 times)

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
Re: Official KISS thread?
« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2014, 11:18:04 AM »
Anyone catch KISS on Jimmy Fallon last night?  They played King of the Nighttime World.

I thought it sucked.  I was disappointed, I was really looking forward to it.  But at least they had the full display, pyro and all.  I didn't like it, but it was definitely  :metal

Cooler than that was all the respect that Fallon and the Roots showed for KISS leading up to the performance (which ended the show).  That was really nice to see and hear.

There's a link on Facebook for a performance of Black Diamond too, which sounded fine to me but had less of Paul singing which is a good thing these days.

They actually performed 5 songs -- Firehouse, Hotter Than Hell, Deuce, Black Diamond and King of the Nighttime World -- but not all aired.  All of the videos are available online, though.  "King" was probably the weakest performance, IMO.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2014, 07:17:06 AM »
Post RRHOF interview with Ace - coherent as usual :).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N1zgA8xklE
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2014, 03:28:40 PM »
I snagged an autographed copy of Paul Stanley's autobiography from a bookstore where he signed in NJ last week -- started reading it yesterday.  So far, so good.  Even as a lifelong KISS fan I'm realizing how little he shared over the years about his upbringing.  I'm 70 pages in and young Paul is now 17 years old.   :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2014, 03:30:18 PM »
I snagged an autographed copy of Paul Stanley's autobiography from a bookstore where he signed in NJ last week -- started reading it yesterday.  So far, so good.  Even as a lifelong KISS fan I'm realizing how little he shared over the years about his upbringing.  I'm 70 pages in and young Paul is now 17 years old.   :biggrin:

Wow, that's pretty deep. How many total pages are there?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2014, 03:33:14 PM »
It's the longest of the original four's autobiographies -- about 460 pages.  For a decade I've been saying that his is the autobiography I had the most interest in reading because I figured his would have the best recollections about the musical aspects of the band, plus I knew that he'd always been pretty tight lipped about his pre-KISS upbringing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2014, 03:37:15 PM »
It's the longest of the original four's autobiographies -- about 460 pages.  For a decade I've been saying that his is the autobiography I had the most interest in reading because I figured his would have the best recollections about the musical aspects of the band, plus I knew that he'd always been pretty tight lipped about his pre-KISS upbringing.

Yeah, I am looking forward to reading it. I'll definitely pick it up at some point. I have Ace's, which is interesting to say the least.
I have no interest in Peter's. I'm on the fence about Gene. I personally cannot stand the guy, but I would still love to hear what he has to say about the band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2014, 03:43:51 PM »
I've read all of them.  Peter's is full of him talking about what a bad ass gang member he was as a kid and how he has a bigger dick than any of the other band members .... seriously.  ::)  It was the weakest of the 4.  Of the three I've read completely, Ace's was the best, but so far Paul's has great potential.  :tup

If you want a fascinating KISS read, find a copy of "KISS & Sell," by CK Lendt.  He worked for the Marks Management company that managed KISS all through the 80s and early 90s (the book was written in '97).  It's all about the various bad financial and business moves the band made through those years, how they tried to keep the band afloat financially, and interesting things you would never read in one of the official biographies (such as how Paul and Gene were completely obsessed with Bon Jovi in the 80s and wanted to emulate everything he did at that time because his band was so financially successful).  A truly great read for anyone who wants to know unofficial behind-the-scenes stuff about KISS during their darkest years.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2014, 03:49:17 PM »
I've read all of them.  Peter's is full of him talking about what a bad ass gang member he was as a kid and how he has a bigger dick than any of the other band members .... seriously.  ::)  It was the weakest of the 4.  Of the three I've read completely, Ace's was the best, but so far Paul's has great potential.  :tup

Are you sure this is a description of the biographies and not the solo albums?   ;)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2014, 03:52:05 PM »

Are you sure this is a description of the biographies and not the solo albums?   ;)

:clap:  Nicely played, Dude.  Now that you mention it, this same description applies to solo albums AND solo books.   :hat

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2014, 04:33:28 PM »
I was thinking the same thing as J-Dude.

Rich, I have Behind The Mask by Leaf/Sharp. I believe it also talks of the Bon Jovi emulation, especially on Crazy Nights.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #150 on: April 18, 2014, 10:06:51 PM »
I thought the same thing as well! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #151 on: April 20, 2014, 12:43:13 PM »
Just stumbled across this that leaked a couple months ago -- the earliest known live recordings at The Daisy in Amityville, NY in June 1973 -- and they're soundboard recordings!! Some tracks are vastly different sounding than the later recorded versions, including unreleased songs and a reworked Wicked Lester track ... and Peter(!) doing some of the talking between songs. Fascinating!!

Venue: The Daisy
June 17, 1973

Setlist:

1.Nothin' To Lose
2.Firehouse
3.Life In The Woods (unreleased)
4.Simple Type (reworked Wicked Lester track)
5.Acrobat (part of this later became "Love Theme From KISS")
6.Deuce
7.100,000 Years
8.Black Diamond

Set 2:
1.Strutter
2.Watchin' You
3.Let Me Know
(rest is not available)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GTmTRSLkhg

Offline James Sucellus

« Reply #152 on: April 20, 2014, 04:33:05 PM »
I'm a big KISS fan, despite acknowledging their many obvious weaknesses. I've got a lot of time for pretty much all their 70s work (nostalgia, despite me not being alive then, and yes I also include Dynasty here), and also their early 80s stuff. Creatures of the Night is a classic, and I have a LOT of time for the highly controversial Music from 'The Elder' album.

Odyssey rocks, OK?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:24:31 PM by James Sucellus »

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: April 20, 2014, 07:26:21 PM »
Just stumbled across this that leaked a couple months ago -- the earliest known live recordings at The Daisy in Amityville, NY in June 1973 -- and they're soundboard recordings!! Some tracks are vastly different sounding than the later recorded versions, including unreleased songs and a reworked Wicked Lester track ... and Peter(!) doing some of the talking between songs. Fascinating!!

Venue: The Daisy
June 17, 1973

Setlist:

1.Nothin' To Lose
2.Firehouse
3.Life In The Woods (unreleased)
4.Simple Type (reworked Wicked Lester track)
5.Acrobat (part of this later became "Love Theme From KISS")
6.Deuce
7.100,000 Years
8.Black Diamond

Set 2:
1.Strutter
2.Watchin' You
3.Let Me Know
(rest is not available)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GTmTRSLkhg

Thats a raw recording; pretty cool.  On one of their Kissology sets, they have an early concert from 1973.  That was cool to see as well.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #154 on: April 24, 2014, 08:02:14 AM »
This whole thing with Hall of fame actually reminded me how much I love old Kiss, namely the first 6 studio albums. Now, I've been thinking - are there any albums post Love gun that Kiss fans would call essential? I might give them a spin at some point.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2014, 08:11:02 AM »
This whole thing with Hall of fame actually reminded me how much I love old Kiss, namely the first 6 studio albums. Now, I've been thinking - are there any albums post Love gun that Kiss fans would call essential? I might give them a spin at some point.

I'd say Revenge is essential, and it's loved by most KISS fans. Easily the best of the non-makeup years. Creatures of the Night too maybe. I think several others are also great, although those two are fairly safe choices.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: April 24, 2014, 08:13:19 AM »
I think Blob has named the two that would garner the most support as relatively "filler-less" non make up era albums.  I love stuff off most of them , but also despise some of the filler on them (which usually means Gene songs).

Edit..........I shouldn't have referred to CoTN as "non make up"

Talking post -Love Gun .....as has been discussed many times Paul and Ace's solo albums are worth a spin - no Gene to worry about there :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 08:42:19 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: April 24, 2014, 08:20:06 AM »
I think Blob has named the two that would garner the most support as relatively "filler-less" non make up era albums.  I love stuff off most of them , but also despise some of the filler on them (which usually means Gene songs).

As I've said before, if Gene is having a good album, it usually means it's a good album overall. Revenge was a definite return to form for Gene after being pretty lost in the '80s, and it really helps make the album. It kicks off with Unholy, which is a pretty badass heavy track, and Domino and Spit are great rockers. Gene's voice was as good as ever on it too.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: April 24, 2014, 09:12:11 AM »
It's when Gene focuses on music that is benefits those Kiss albums Blob mentioned and both you can't go wrong with.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #159 on: April 24, 2014, 12:33:40 PM »
I've had a resurgence of love for KISS recently too, triggered by Paul's book. Currently reading Peter's and whilst I was never a fan of him he seems to have had an eventful life. All his problems are his own making but he can't see that. He basically admits all the accusations the others throw at him (moody, always threatening to leave, drugs etc) but its always someone else's fault. I'm enjoying the read though.
Also dug my copy of Kisstory out too- the kids loved that.

As for post makeup albums, Creatures, Lick It Up, Animalize and Revenge are the best for me. Out of the others you could make a very good Paul Stanley solo album.

And anyone who likes Lick It Up and Creatures should check out Vinnie Vincent Invasion albums if you haven't already. The first one is a Lowdz' Top 50 album. Such a shame Vinnie is such a tool.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2014, 12:54:34 PM »
Creatures, Lick it Up, Animalize, and Revenge are essential for me as well.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: April 24, 2014, 02:23:01 PM »
I'm not a fan of Robert Fleischman voice on the 1st album but I like the second album.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2014, 02:36:13 PM »
I'm not a fan of Robert Fleischman voice on the 1st album but I like the second album.

Where I was first introduced to Mark Slaughter.  YEAH!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2014, 02:48:06 PM »
I was gonna say...  Wasn't VV some completely unpopular that he got kicked out of his own band?   :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #164 on: April 24, 2014, 04:00:47 PM »
I was gonna say...  Wasn't VV some completely unpopular that he got kicked out of his own band?   :rollin

That is some claim to fame  :biggrin:

I'd take Fleischman's voice over Mark Slaughter's nails down a blackboard screech. That first VVI album is just sooo over the top. The 2nd album was pale and boring next to it.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: April 24, 2014, 04:07:25 PM »
You said it Lowdz, that first one is waaaay over the top.  Didnt think much of Fleischmans vocals at all, the music was good though.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #166 on: April 25, 2014, 02:00:02 AM »
Kind of a cool picture from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame awards.

Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: April 25, 2014, 07:27:12 AM »

WTF is going on with Gene's hair?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: April 25, 2014, 07:31:24 AM »
:lol It's been like that for years.

So to answer your question, I have no idea.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: April 25, 2014, 07:34:35 AM »

You've never seen Gene Simmons's Family Jewels?!  Even his kids give him crap about his hair! :lol

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: April 25, 2014, 11:04:42 AM »

You've never seen Gene Simmons's Family Jewels?!  Even his kids give him crap about his hair! :lol

Geez.  I thought that wig he wore in the 80s was bad!  Now, I'm thinking maybe he ought to dust that thing back off and give it another try.

Offline James Sucellus

« Reply #171 on: April 25, 2014, 08:25:54 PM »
Oh, man. 100,000 Years is still a rockin' tune.

Marathoning all their 70s albums tonight. Their debut has a fair few filler tracks, but some give me chills of nostalgia. Good ol' Strutter and Black Diamond.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2014, 09:02:26 PM »
Another vote for Revenge.  Fantastic album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #173 on: April 25, 2014, 09:02:33 PM »
:tup

I love 100,000 Years.  I'm a sucker for a good 12/8 or shuffle, and 100,000 Years is both.

Offline James Sucellus

« Reply #174 on: April 26, 2014, 12:54:29 AM »
Have always LOVED Goin' Blind. Hugely underrated.

Hotter Than Hell has really clicked for me on this marathon. I like the heavier, dirty sound.