Author Topic: Any transcribers here?  (Read 1173 times)

Offline changing_seasons

Any transcribers here?
« on: March 07, 2014, 03:41:44 PM »
Does anyone else like to transcribe music? I think it's a good way to understand the music better, and I always like being able to mute each instrument separately - it makes for a different listening experience. :tup

A lot of Dream Theater albums have official guitar/keyboard tab books available, but I was thinking maybe someone would be interested in working together on some of the epics by Transatlantic or maybe Neal Morse/Spock's Beard. There aren't any accurate tabs out there as far as I know, and some of my favorite songs are from these bands.
Tell about my brother
Tell them about me
The Count of Tuscany

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: Any transcribers here?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 05:11:47 PM »
Funny you should mention this, I was thinking about transcribing some Spocks's/Transatlantic songs myself. I can play most of Duel With the Devil on guitar, but I've never written it down. This could be a fun project. What parts would you be able to transcribe?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline changing_seasons

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 08:12:14 AM »
Drums and bass aren't too difficult to get right, but with Neal's endless layering and Roine's space-scaping (pretty sure that's not a word), guitars and keyboards could be tricky. If you already know Duel with the Devil then that's a good place to start, I'd say. Plus, Transatlantic have multiple live DVDs which cover the same songs, so there's lots of information to collect there.
Tell about my brother
Tell them about me
The Count of Tuscany

Offline jsem

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 04:42:51 AM »
Transcribing is fantastic for developing as a musician. Copying solos, melodies etc make you more able to learn things on the spot when needed.

Offline changing_seasons

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 04:29:13 PM »
Transcribing is fantastic for developing as a musician. Copying solos, melodies etc make you more able to learn things on the spot when needed.

I agree. My goal is to transcribe one of the big epics, like Testimony 2 or The Whirlwind. I'm starting a four month holiday now so I'll have plenty of time to get into a large project. I will start with Duel With the Devil though.
Tell about my brother
Tell them about me
The Count of Tuscany