Author Topic: Cosmos.  (Read 7776 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Cosmos.
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2014, 06:34:58 PM »
I *highly*, HIGHLY suggest to everybody reading the book "Your Inner Fish". It is an incredible read about why the human body is as bizarre and patched-together as it is, i.e. essentially a record of the weird evolutionary twists and turns from fish to homo sapiens.

And amazingly, PBS started a TV version of it just today!

https://www.pbs.org/your-inner-fish/home/
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2014, 06:42:52 PM »
That looks really cool, I'm going to look into DVRing that.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2014, 06:49:42 PM »
Seriously, the book is probably the most interesting book I have ever read.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2014, 09:07:22 AM »
Is this satire? I honestly can't tell:

https://nationalreport.net/kansas-black-cosmos-show-controversies/

EDIT: Nevermind. It is.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2014, 02:49:08 PM »
Not being able to immediately tell if that's satire says something about our world.  :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2014, 08:13:56 PM »
Watching the PBS show ("Your Inner Fish ") right now. Very interesting, definitely worth a watch.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2014, 10:40:57 AM »
Probably serious butthurt ensuing from here on, but it just has to be posted in the Cosmos thread:

https://www.funnyordie.com/videos/fa1a1c8fb7/creationist-cosmos

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2014, 11:54:07 AM »
There was so much potential in that video, but I think they held back a lot to keep people from getting butthurt.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2014, 01:55:13 PM »
I am irked that NDT went out of his way to say that evolutionary change is unguided. That is saying something above the warranted inference of the evidence. Science can't establish something like that.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2014, 02:24:31 PM »
Yeaaaaaah, because epistemological considerations about proving negatives really belong in a show that tries to cover basics such as the evolutionary process. The scientific theory of evolution stipulates a random process (mutations) being filtered by external constraints (the environment). Using the word "unguided" as a synonym for "random" is pretty fine for a show like this.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2014, 05:35:22 PM »
"Unguided" has much more metaphysical baggage than "random." The unguidedness of evolution is the pivotal issue in the whole debate between neo-Darwinism and its critics. NDT was clearly taking a jab at religion by emphasizing that evolution is unguided, and a lot of people picked up on it. He should have stuck with "random." (And even that's not really correct.)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:52:40 PM by Ħ »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2014, 05:39:53 PM »
You might want to abstain from watching that show. I don't think you're the target audience.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2014, 05:46:16 PM »
Me, along with 78% of Americans that think God was involved in the origin of homo sapiens.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2014, 05:50:08 PM »
And not for nothing, but I'm sure that 95%+ of the shows viewers don't.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2014, 05:52:37 PM »
Me, along with 78% of Americans that think God was involved in the origin of homo sapiens.

How is that relevant to a science show? Science isn't a majority vote.

Seriously H, what's the point of you watching the show? Only to get pissed at hearing what you don't like?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2014, 05:53:44 PM »

Not that this is what I'd do necessarily, but I think that's exactly why NDT is framing the information in this way. He wants those numbers to change.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2014, 06:06:10 PM »

How is that relevant to a science show? Science isn't a majority vote.
First, Cosmos is supposed to be a TV show with popular appeal. Sagan's show was inviting to viewers of all types. So the fact that 78% of Americans believe evolution is not unguided is certainly relevant in planning the show's contents. Second, Cosmos is not a scientific enterprise itself, so the fact that science isn't a majority vote isn't really relevant in this situation. Third, the claim that science has somehow shown evolution to be unguided is simply groundless. If you want to say evolution is unguided, you have to import philosophical assumptions to your assessment of the evidence. But those assumptions are above the purview of science and so they shouldn't be spewed off by NDT as scientific fact.

Seriously H, what's the point of you watching the show? Only to get pissed at hearing what you don't like?
Er...for entertainment? That's the reason I watch TV. Cosmos with Sagan was a great show, and hypes were had for the new series. But it has been a let-down, partially because of these jabs at religion. Is that sufficient enough reason to be disappointed?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:15:06 PM by Ħ »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2014, 06:14:06 PM »
Probably serious butthurt ensuing from here on, but it just has to be posted in the Cosmos thread:

https://www.funnyordie.com/videos/fa1a1c8fb7/creationist-cosmos

Amazing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2014, 06:19:23 PM »
Can we please avoid this becoming a debate about religion and keep that sort of discussion to P/R? Thanks.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2014, 06:20:48 PM »
No, we cannot.  :biggrin:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2014, 06:25:12 PM »
Yeah, back to the actual show.

My criticism with it would be that it's jumping around too much at times. That is, while there's a lot of "ooh, wow" moments, it's hard to sometimes see the thread that ties it all together.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2014, 06:46:54 PM »
As I already mentioned, that's one of my big problems, and they were back at that problem this week. My mind is blown by these types of episodes, but I'd much rather they focus and I come away with some actual understanding, than simply awe.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2014, 06:59:55 PM »

At one point, the majority of people thought that the Sun revolved around the Earth.
At one point, the majority of people thought that owning other human beings was an acceptable practice.
At one point, the majority of people thought that discrimination based on ethnicity was morally just.
At one point, the majority of people thought spontaneous generation was real.
At one point, the majority of people thought the Earth was flat.

At no point, does the popularity of a belief relate to how true it is, regardless of the field of study.

Nick, then you should check out Connections.  I think you would enjoy it because the show is about how a series of discoveries are connected.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2014, 07:05:44 PM »
At no point, does the popularity of a belief relate to how true it is, regardless of the field of study.
Has anyone here argued for that? I don't think so.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2014, 07:08:40 PM »
As I already mentioned, that's one of my big problems, and they were back at that problem this week. My mind is blown by these types of episodes, but I'd much rather they focus and I come away with some actual understanding, than simply awe.

Well, if it gets the public interested in learning science again...

Has anyone here argued for that? I don't think so.

You basically are - he's responding to your having done so.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Ħ

« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2014, 07:11:37 PM »
You basically are - he's responding to your having done so.
I argued that because the majority of the American population rejects unguided evolution, therefore unguided evolution must be false? Where did I argue that?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2014, 07:12:52 PM »

And what the good doctor is pointing out is that the majority ain't right all the time.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2014, 07:13:19 PM »
Everyone cool it. If you get this thread locked I'm going to hate you.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2014, 07:15:58 PM »
Yeah, seriously. Cosmos, original and new, are pretty good shows, and ifor once it would be nice to discuss a science show simply on its own merits, and not have it become a P/R.
H, I'm assuming you can still post in P/R. Please start a thread there if you want to delve into those aspects.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2014, 07:16:42 PM »
Everyone cool it. If you get this thread locked I'm going to hate you.

I live and breathe hate. I'll do my best.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2014, 07:18:14 PM »
Did I say, "...therefore it must be true"? No.

I argued that "the target audience" of Cosmos is pretty much anyone interested in science. Cosmos is supposed to be inviting, not alienating. Therefore, the fact that 78% of Americans don't think evolution was unguided is certainly relevant to the writers of the show.

EDIT: We are talking about Cosmos, the TV show. I am making the point that it is (unfortunately) alienating. Do you think that warrants a P/R thread?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2014, 07:20:13 PM »
Nick, then you should check out Connections.  I think you would enjoy it because the show is about how a series of discoveries are connected.

That sounds cool. Recent show?

EDIT: lol, 1978 :lol Now I want to especially see it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2014, 07:47:29 PM »
Connections3 is more recent.  But the information on even the old shows are still good, it just looks dated.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2014, 07:10:22 AM »
I *highly*, HIGHLY suggest to everybody reading the book "Your Inner Fish". It is an incredible read about why the human body is as bizarre and patched-together as it is, i.e. essentially a record of the weird evolutionary twists and turns from fish to homo sapiens.

And amazingly, PBS started a TV version of it just today!

https://www.pbs.org/your-inner-fish/home/
I stumbled on that page on the PBS site the other day, and plan on watching soon.  Glad to hear a good review on it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2014, 07:59:31 AM »
So I didn't watch last night's episode, and never got around to finishing the one from last week. I'm kind of over this show. Let me tell you though, I stumbled across an NDT special on Netflix called The Inexplicable Universe. It's six segments, each thirty minutes a piece. I've watched it twice now. I highly recommend.