Author Topic: Cosmos.  (Read 7774 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Cosmos.
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2014, 08:11:22 AM »
Yeah, same here. In the end, this is all stuff I know inside out anyway, so there's no big motivation for me to watch it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2014, 08:20:10 AM »
My only interest in the show tbh is just that I'm glad it exists for the sake benefit of others.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2014, 08:22:03 AM »
I'm in the same boat. I started watching ep1 but I got bored halfway through. Wonderful CGI and an all around excellent reboot of the series but I've lost all interest in watching things I've seen a million times.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2014, 09:32:06 AM »
The weird thing is that I know the original Cosmos inside and out... word for word in most cases. If it was announced that it was going to be played on TV again, I'd probably watch every one. I still stand by what I said earlier in this thread. This show is far too negative.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2014, 07:37:23 PM »
I've now had this complaint about a couple of episodes, but...would it fucking kill them to use the word "spectroscopy", and give it a five-second definition, rather than talk around it for 30 seconds?  In the episodes I've seen, they've probably spent 20 minutes on it, and it would be so much more efficient to just use the damn word.  It would also be an opportunity to make "jargon" seem less threatening.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2014, 08:48:31 PM »
I've now had this complaint about a couple of episodes, but...would it fucking kill them to use the word "spectroscopy", and give it a five-second definition, rather than talk around it for 30 seconds?  In the episodes I've seen, they've probably spent 20 minutes on it, and it would be so much more efficient to just use the damn word.  It would also be an opportunity to make "jargon" seem less threatening.

This is definitely an issue.

The weird thing is that I know the original Cosmos inside and out... word for word in most cases. If it was announced that it was going to be played on TV again, I'd probably watch every one. I still stand by what I said earlier in this thread. This show is far too negative.

This... I really don't see what's been negative about this series. They might point out a commonly seen myth and dispel it once what... every other episode? In general it's wondrous and comes out with ton of positive messages and discoveries. I honestly can't even fathom how you can say it's "far" too negative, as I can barely see it as negative whatsoever.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2014, 09:11:02 PM »
The lead episode was probably the best episode IMO, but that was probably it followed one coherent thread throughout the episode.

And I agree with millahh.  And with the proliferation of all those damn CSI-type shows, a little real spectroscopy would be nice and people might make the connection.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2014, 09:17:30 AM »
This filled my laughing quota for the week.

Offline Theme Dreater

• The Destroyer of Worlds
« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2014, 09:19:59 PM »
I'm still really enjoying the series, but I do think that Sagan's was better.
I was told if you dream of the next world, you'll find yourself swimming in a lake of fire.