Author Topic: Cosmos.  (Read 7773 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Cosmos.
« on: March 07, 2014, 07:13:38 AM »
This will be the series' official thread. I am shitting my pants in excitement over this. I've been waiting four long years since rumors first started swirling around about NDT hosting a reboot. The book and original 13 episode mini series of Cosmos changed my life forever.

While we anxiously wait for Sunday night, let us discuss our favorite pieces of Cosmos.

1) The Heike Crab

2) This classic line

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
Re: Cosmos.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 07:53:17 AM »
He was wrong about the crab.

But I am also excited for this remake.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 08:12:20 AM »

How so? Wrong in that artificial selection via people is what caused the samurai shape, or the legend about why they did it in the first place?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 08:13:30 AM »
Carl's takedown of Astrology is perhaps my favorite moment of the original series.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 08:13:49 AM »
This does look cool. It's always fascinating to learn about the universe, it's such a mind blowing thing when you're actually able to take the time and think about it. Am I still allowed to watch despite being a Christian? :lol I promise not to turn the thread into a 'Grand Architect' deal.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 08:21:23 AM »
Carl's takedown of Astrology is perhaps my favorite moment of the original series.

Soooo good.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 08:26:30 AM »
Can't wait for the new series, bummed the took down the original cosmos on netflix though, I wanted to rewatch it before the new one appeared.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 08:26:46 AM »
I promise not to turn the thread into a 'Grand Architect' deal.

And for my part, I promise not to turn the thread into a 'No architect required' deal.  :lol

So, anyway. How's the house coming Gary! :)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 08:30:53 AM »
Can't wait for the new series, bummed the took down the original cosmos on netflix though, I wanted to rewatch it before the new one appeared.

I used to use it as background noise in the bibrary instead of listening to music. I bet I listened through the series a minimum of 12 times.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 08:34:55 AM »

How so? Wrong in that artificial selection via people is what caused the samurai shape, or the legend about why they did it in the first place?
Both.  Apparently those crabs aren't even a food source, and would never have been harvested, thus the artificial selection wouldn't have happened.  There is a legend about the crab, but it doesn't address any artificial selection.  There are plenty of verifiable examples of artificial explanation.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 12:19:29 PM »
My favorite evolution thing is probably this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1a1Ek-HD0

"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 01:56:54 PM »
Been looking forward to this.   :hat

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 04:03:48 PM »
Man, I love me some Cosmos.

One of my favorites was when Sagan was explaining flatland and the 4th dimension:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 05:00:53 PM »
My favorite evolution thing is probably this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1a1Ek-HD0

***edit***

I almost broke my promise.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »
BTW, that video was not meant to be P/R or whatever. I appreciate it because they're showing a natural process by dissecting the real thing (a giraffe), and at the same time get across the big picture. That's why I'm posting it in the Cosmos thread to begin with.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 05:49:48 PM »
BTW, that video was not meant to be P/R or whatever. I appreciate it because they're showing a natural process by dissecting the real thing (a giraffe), and at the same time get across the big picture. That's why I'm posting it in the Cosmos thread to begin with.

I know.....and I'm sorry for responding like that. Shoulda just not posted because I don't want to turn Chino's thread into a PR deal. That video was fascinating actually but I found myself typing out a defense of sorts for an 'architect' and realized I promised not to do so.

Again....that was my bad.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 06:38:12 PM »
I would genuinely be interested in reading your response, care to pm to me? If you're up for still writing it.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 09:48:29 PM »
I cannot wait for this show. From the very first episode I was blown away. In particular this segment has stayed with me my entire life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jixnM7S9tLw
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 05:25:13 PM »
Carl Sagan - 'A Glorious Dawn' ft Stephen Hawking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

BAM!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 04:36:07 AM »
Been looking forward to this, but apparently the debut episode is on at the same time as the True Detective finale, so I will have to catch it later.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 08:56:39 AM »
^ Agreed. Last time I anticipated a program more was the Super Bowl.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 10:55:29 AM »
Thanks for the heads up!  I didn't know there was a new series.  Set to record now... :tup

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 12:12:11 PM »
I have a vague recollection of watching Cosmos. Hard to watch TV these days in the Cool Chris household, but hopefully I can catch some of this.

Now if they can only resurrect Mr. Wizard...
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2014, 07:18:57 PM »
WE'RE HERE!
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2014, 08:06:58 PM »
I really enjoyed it. The production is top notch, I can't wait to see the other episodes.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 07:30:07 AM »
I thought it was extremely overdramatic, but I'm hopeful that now that the first episode and all the introductory stuff is out of the way, it will be much less so going forward.

Offline emtee

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 07:46:44 AM »
I came away from the first episode thinking it had a very weird vibe. Kind of hard to put my finger on but the segments with the
animated characters and how they looked was odd to me. Very odd. I'll give it more episodes but I didn't really enjoy the first
one. I loved Sagan's series from the 80s and I was hoping this would build on that.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 08:09:04 AM »
I thought it was extremely overdramatic, but I'm hopeful that now that the first episode and all the introductory stuff is out of the way, it will be much less so going forward.

I came away from the first episode thinking it had a very weird vibe. Kind of hard to put my finger on but the segments with the
animated characters and how they looked was odd to me. Very odd. I'll give it more episodes but I didn't really enjoy the first
one. I loved Sagan's series from the 80s and I was hoping this would build on that.

I agree with both of these statements. I was underwhelmed. It wasn't bad, but the original Cosmos holds so much weight in my heart (so does NDT). I think my problem with this was that it felt like a really expensive version of NOVA Science Now, and not Cosmos. I'm not digging the cartoons. I don't get why they are there. It must have been for budget purposes. Or maybe even keeping little kids interested. I don't know. Whatever the reason, I didn't feel the magic watching this as I did with Sagan. This new Cosmos feels just like every other science show I watch on television.

I did really like the little bit at the end about Carl Sagan, and I am still really optimistic about the series. I'm hoping that this was meant to be an intro, and the next 12 episodes will dig in deep.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:21:12 AM by Chino »

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 01:16:27 PM »
Been looking forward to this, but apparently the debut episode is on at the same time as the True Detective finale, so I will have to catch it later.
True Detective is already at the finale? I saw the first 2 episodes and have yet to catch up. What was there, like 6 total? Sorry to go off topic.

Go Cosmos! :metal
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2014, 11:42:42 AM »
Anyone catch this news bit?  About the Oklahoma City Fox stations interruption of the show at a crucial moment of the dialogue?

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/oklahoma-fox-station-cut-only-mention-of-evolution-from-cosmos/

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2014, 09:25:54 AM »
Anyone catch this news bit?  About the Oklahoma City Fox stations interruption of the show at a crucial moment of the dialogue?

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/oklahoma-fox-station-cut-only-mention-of-evolution-from-cosmos/

If that isn't the most biased site I have ever seen. Holy shit.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 05:01:05 PM »

If that isn't the most biased site I have ever seen. Holy shit.

Yeah, I didn't really look at the site, just that article.  Still wondering if it was a valid story.

Offline Theme Dreater

• The Destroyer of Worlds
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2014, 02:24:48 PM »
Now if they can only resurrect Mr. Wizard...

Fucking YES. My class watched multiple episodes of Mr. Wizard in sixth grade and I loved it. You're the first person I've encountered since who has known about it.

Anyways, I'm really digging the new series even though it isn't as good as the original. My only complaint is that there is a lack of hard visual data and evidence. I think that a fair mixture of both the amazing CG and real-life photographs and videos would better the show. I do really enjoy the animated sequences, I hope that they will attract a young audience. We need a younger generation more excited about science.
I was told if you dream of the next world, you'll find yourself swimming in a lake of fire.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2014, 02:36:00 PM »
We need a younger generation more excited about science.

You'd be happy to know that my 6 year old requests nothing but science related books from me when I do book shopping about once a month and near every book he brings home from the school library is either a exploration of the human body, dinosaur or a "space" book. It's funny because he literally said to me last night when I was reading the latest book he checked out of the library...."I love science". Now, his idea of science is still pretty broad but he just loves learning about that stuff. He wasn't satisfied with the books two page explanation of the respiratory system either. I did the best I could to try and expand on it but I have a feeling that as he gets older my explanations won't be good enough either and he's just going to figure it out all on his own.  The kid asks some questions that I'd be willing to bet a lot of 6 year olds could care less or haven't even thought about. He's just curious about how everything works...

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2014, 02:36:32 PM »
I just watched the first two episodes last night. I thought it's a great start! It's full of imagination and is all about opening the world of the cosmos to those that haven't been exposed to any of it before.