Author Topic: Blur appreciation thread  (Read 1265 times)

Offline dparrott

Blur appreciation thread
« on: September 19, 2013, 10:24:10 AM »
First off...

THIS IS MY FAVORITE BAND

...and has been since 1991.  They're good (not great) musicians, but the singer's voice and their variety just clicks with me.  Unlike most bands, there's not really any Blur song I really dislike, and that's with over 10 years of music.  Out of their 7 albums, all but two are musically unique from each other.

How's this for variety:
Indie rock: Slow Down, Come Together, Advert, Popscene, Chemical World, Wear Me Down, Tame
Dance pop: There's No Other Way, High Cool, Girls & Boys, Parklife
Shoegaze/dream pop: She's So High, Inertia, Luminous
Orchestrations: For Tomorrow, The Universal, Theme From An Imaginary Film, To The End
Punk: Bank Holiday, Chinese Bombs
Mellow/experimental: Out Of Time, Mellow Song, Tender, Caramel, Badhead
Waltz: The Debt Collector, Anniversary Waltz

...I can go on and on. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Blur appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 10:25:34 AM »
Sorry, I'm just not seeing it clearly.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 10:44:17 AM »
Wow, I thought I was the only Blur fan on this board.  :tup

Their variety truly is impressive, they kept changing up their sound from album to album, and even when you compare some of the songs on one single album, you might wonder if it's the same band. The reason has to be that they took influences from everything British in music from 60s, 70s and 80s, mixed it all up, and then infused it with their own feel and style. The results are remarkable.

My favorite albums are Parklife, The Great escape and 13. As for my favorite songs, there are quite a few obviously, but I remember trying to make a top 10 a while ago. I just need to remember where in the world I saved the file.  :lol

Also, I saw them in Budapest about month and a half ago and it was incredible, it's the best live band for a hot, summer evening.  :heart

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 10:45:53 AM »
As a big Oasis fan I must say that I like Blur as well (for those who don't know, in the 90s Blur and Oasis was at "war" with each other - mostly just a media thing though).

They have many great songs. Parklife, End Of A Century, Tracy Jacks, The Universal, Charmless Man, Tender are the big favourites.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 12:33:24 PM »
I really love Leisure, mainly because it was my first.  But I still love that dated sound. 

My favorite song is the b-side Tame, followed by the extended For Tomorrow and Mr. Robinson's Quango. 

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 01:37:12 PM »
Leisure  :tup

Modern Life Is Rubbish  :\

Parklife  :tup

The Great Escape  :\

Blur  :tup

13  :\

Haven't heard Think Tank.

There's No Other Way is a great riff that I still need to learn. But Damon was more arrogant than Noel Gallagher. Often humourlessly so at times - which belied blur's humorous image. He's in a film about britpop called Live Forever and he's by far the most egotistical self-centred person on it, whilst Noel is down to earth and hilarious as usual.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 06:01:45 PM »
Only ever heard Song 2.

I'll wait for Todd in the Shadows to do a One Hit Wonderland to learn anything further.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 07:14:22 PM »
Only ever heard Song 2.

I'll wait for Todd in the Shadows to do a One Hit Wonderland to learn anything further.

Same. Though I did try to seek out the anniversary box set last year, but couldn't find it.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 07:26:39 PM »

I thought I was the only Todd in the Shadows fan on here.  :lol :tup
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 07:49:06 PM »
Todd's awesome. Think I've only ever disagreed with his opinion twice.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 07:50:53 PM »
As a big Oasis fan I must say that I like Blur as well (for those who don't know, in the 90s Blur and Oasis was at "war" with each other - mostly just a media thing though).

They have many great songs. Parklife, End Of A Century, Tracy Jacks, The Universal, Charmless Man, Tender are the big favourites.

I was firmly in the oasis camp but did enjoy Parklife. Thought Be Here Now & The Great Escape were sub par efforts.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 10:07:06 AM »
Damon playing This Is A Low on Jimmy Fallon. Simply beautiful.
https://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/segments/6991
His new solo album is pretty good.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 03:33:58 AM »
Yeah, Damon's solo album is really good. I love the title track, Hostiles and The Selfish giant. I'm thinking about checking out his solo show in about a month. However, I wasn't particularly moved by that version of This is a low.