Author Topic: The Blacklist  (Read 4771 times)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
The Blacklist
« on: March 04, 2014, 08:06:35 PM »
Yeah, I know this show has been mentioned in other threads but I continue to be really impressed with this show and most notably Spaders character Reddington.  What a badass. The arc where the FBI facility was taken over was amazing if for no other reason than he tracked down every person involved and fucking whacked them himself.  The scene where he was discussing the female paramedic who was only loosely involved was great. His line about how it was so sad because she used to be a paramedic was delivered with stone cold icy perfection. Next thing we see is her body by a dumpster. Bad ass. Great show for a network program. Nicely acted by Spader and the writing has been surprisingly good as well.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Blacklist
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 08:11:10 PM »
I loved when he threw the wife in the closet and was talking about what a shame it would be the shoot her in the closet with the delightful meal she made.  He has that nervous but in control laugh that I just love.  His delivery of his lines are impeccable.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 08:16:45 PM »
One of the few shows I bother with on Aussie television.  At first I had trouble separating out the character from Alan Shore (Boston Legal)as he was such an iconic character in one of my favourite shows ever and shared some of the mannerisms etc...........it's always hard for all but the best actors to move on from something like that.  Really enjoying it now and Spader has done a great job -  they've also got some good people playing cameos etc.... such as Alan Alda.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 08:35:16 PM »
Yeah..that cool psychotic demeanor is awesome and terrifying at the same time.  When he poured the booze all over the guy then shoved the lit cigar in the guys mouth so when it burned down or he dropped it he was gonna be literally toasted. Then he laughs, says "Oh, the suspense is killing me"; and just shoots the guy instead. Bad dude.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 02:25:29 PM »
My favorite new show since Jericho.  This is a brilliant series.  Assuming everyone is up to date?  If not, spoiler alert.

Red is always right.  About everyone.  He knows his shit.  Now, which side is the "substitute teacher" on?  Can't wait to see how this plays out.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 02:29:36 PM »
Yeah, I guess we find out a ton about Tom Keen this new episode.  Can't wait.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 09:53:33 AM »
My wife and I have really been enjoying this show.  Looking forward to tonight's episode.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 10:48:15 AM »
*Potential show spoiler*

Okay, I have disliked the Tom Keen character from nearly day one. The fact that his wife cannot, or will not see him for what he is, is a HUGE flaw to the show IMO. If my wife found a stack of cash and several passports with different names on them while incidentally cleaning up bloody carpet, you can believe she would have a lot of questions that I had better have the answers for before I did anything else. It wasn't like this "box" showed up on the doorstep one day. Had she not cut up the carpet, she wouldn't have found it. And in the scenario with my wife, she doesn't work in black ops for the FBI. JEEZE!! This is for me the one big glaring flaw of the show. So, can we, without further adieu, please put a bullet through Tom Keens head already, and be done with this? I hate this character on this show. The show would still be amazing without this character. His existence reduces the Liz character to this naive, clueless, inept, mewling weakling. Kill Tom, make her more edgy as a result...even better show. I mean, we almost don't need her character anymore, and the show was built around her basically from the first episode.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 11:50:19 AM »
Agreed.  Like the FBI would allow Liz to have anything to do with Tom in the role she's in.  She would be forced to chose.  Also, with all that was discovered in that box, how come it's not abundantly clear that he's quite likely a culprit in the 'breach' on the post office too?  I also find it hard to believe he's been virtually infallible with his cover for two years (especially when there was the kind of surveillance on that house for a few episodes), and then all of a sudden 'the cowboy' catches him going in and out of that warehouse with Jolene?  Really?  Ugh... this arc is starting to frustrate me.

Hope they clean it up quickly.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 06:14:57 AM »
Again, they better wrap up this Tom Keen arch in short order.  I'm still not buying the whole notion that nobody suspected anything about him after discovering his box of shit.  And is Red Lizzie's dad or not?  She asked him a outright few episode's back, and he said 'no'.  He also said on Monday that he's "never lied to you".  So, which is it?  They certainly played it off that he's her dad.

Still the best new show on TV.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 02:15:36 PM »
Could be he might wind up telling her that he isn't her dad, but is her father. Big difference really. More than once they've alluded to her possibly being his child. The whole thing with the song was just weird. How did he know that? We might never know that arc, but the Tom Keen thing needs to end fast. I mean she gos to Red and not her colleagues at the FBI? C'mon.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 10:09:21 PM »
Bumping this. I went through 3 seasons of it on Netflix. What a phenomenal show. Raymond Reddington is my new hero. I haven't started season 4 yet. I will say this though - I cannot believe they killed her off!! This weird part of me kept thinking they faked it so people would stop coming for her.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 01:25:10 PM »
I'm halfway into s02 and it's addictive as hell. Love Reddington although him always being one step ahead almost all the time is a bit too much but then again it's so satisfying whenever he deploys his smug face.  :biggrin:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 01:48:11 PM »
Reddington is one of the best characters on TV.

Agent Keen, conversely, is one of the worst.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 06:39:52 PM »

I definitely agree with the first sentence. But what's your issue with Agent Keen? Not that I'm saying she's good. I'm just curious.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 07:07:41 PM »
I can't really see the issue either other than her acting is a bit stiff at times then again i've only seen up until ep 18 of S02. She's cute though.

I loved ep 16 and her interaction with the federal judge, thought he was great. However she got away a bit too easy in the end.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 09:11:05 PM »
Never seen the show but I read the graphic novel The Gambler which is supposed to show the origin story. Seems like a neat concept for a show so I may check it out at some point.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 11:44:59 PM »
Never seen the show but I read the graphic novel The Gambler which is supposed to show the origin story. Seems like a neat concept for a show so I may check it out at some point.

I've always wanted to check that out.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2016, 12:18:08 AM »
It's pretty good. I got it a Comic Bento mix a few months back. Not sure how it matches up with other enemies on the list but it reminds of the very last episode of Black Mirror now that I think about the concept.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2016, 05:14:30 AM »
There are a quite a few comic books on Amazon. They're not that expensive.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2017, 09:33:47 AM »

Agent Keen is why I stopped watching the show. I don't think she is a great actor and the whole her being on the run then fake dying thing was too much for me. I much preferred it when the show wasn't so focused on her and more on catching people from the blacklist.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2017, 08:58:50 AM »

I definitely agree with the first sentence. But what's your issue with Agent Keen? Not that I'm saying she's good. I'm just curious.
She is continually doing and saying things that make me want to throw things at the TV. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2017, 08:20:16 PM »

She is continually doing and saying things that make me want to throw things at the TV.

I think she's exceedingly duplicitous in her actions, very hypocritical.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2017, 06:20:26 AM »
They should kill off Liz (for real) and just make a show with reddington and tom hunting and killing people

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2017, 09:33:00 AM »
I know. Reddington is the show. If you don't like his character then there's no point in even watching the show. Every show is him manipulating almost every person around him.

Plus they're dragging out the whole thing with him telling Liz that he's her father. Just admit it already.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2017, 09:38:01 AM »
That was another reason I stopped being interested in the show, the whole Red being Liz's father thing went on too long.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2017, 12:08:23 AM »
Just finishing binging all 4 seasons on Netflix. Certainly is very good for a network TV show. So much of the storyline is beyond belief though, the way the FBI turns a blind eye to all of Red's evil deeds.

I especially liked season 4 and what happened with Mr. Kaplan's character.

I agree with the above comments regarding the actress who plays Elizabeth Keene. She cannot act, and frequently just stares blankly or smirks.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2018, 08:56:10 AM »
I just finished S5 since it was fired up on Netflix.  Great season, and the ending was one of the 3 options I thought it might have been.  Still leaves one obvious unanswered question.  I won't post it just yet.  Anyone still watching?  And caught up to the end of S5 - where we find out the truth of the bones?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2018, 09:57:55 AM »
I stopped watching around season 3. I really only watched for Reddington.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2018, 01:12:15 PM »

Spoiler alert... he was in S4 *and* S5.   :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2018, 01:45:37 PM »

:lol

And I still dig the show.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2018, 04:36:00 PM »

Yes but from my understanding so is Liz, and she is an awful, awful character.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2018, 12:40:03 AM »

Totally agree with that character and Megan Boone isn't exactly 'lighting it up' as an actor either. I do, however still watch and enjoy the show.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2018, 04:56:51 AM »

Totally agree with that character and Megan Boone isn't exactly 'lighting it up' as an actor either. I do, however still watch and enjoy the show.

Well, when you're opposite James Spader, and not named William Shatner, pretty much anything/anyone is going to be a disappointment.  Set expectations accordingly.

FYI reap, they officially answered the question of Liz's/Red's formal relationship.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2018, 05:05:35 AM »
Yea I heard about that but it wasn't surprising, I'd be more shocked if she wasn't his daughter

Actually I couldn't believe they killed off Tom Keen. He was my second favorite character on the show, now it looks like he is running a hospital :lol