Author Topic: BABYMETAL - メギツネ - MEGITSUNE  (Read 22140 times)

Offline Skeever

Re: BABYMETAL - メギツネ - MEGITSUNE
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2014, 05:20:32 PM »
Well I am fascinated by Japanese pop culture so this is right up my alley.

However, I'm a bit put off by the Lady Gaga tour. I'm not interested in her. I have nothing against her or pop music for that matter, but I can just imagine tickets being way more expensive for way less BABYMETAL.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2014, 11:42:45 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2014, 03:06:04 AM »
Have to say, they were really fun at Sonisphere. The whole idea is a bit ridiculous, but it's a lot of fun and some of the songs (the ones that properly fuse metal with electro J-pop) are pretty cool.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2014, 07:07:36 AM »
A friend showed me this band a couple weeks ago with the Gimme Chocolate video.  I cant believe this is real and they are actually pretty popular for such a young band.  I enjoyed it.  Wouldnt say I love it, but its catchy and fun.  The dancing is really cool too.  I like the backing band a lot. 

Offline ishak540m

« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2014, 03:58:30 PM »
Babymetal is #1: https://www.metalsucks.net/2014/12/02/vince-neilsteins-top-15-metal-albums-of-2014/

"A complete game-changer, and the de facto most-argued about album of the year. Sure, the cute Japanese teenage girl angle is great — and hella entertaining — but it wouldn’t mean anything if the band members weren’t masters of their instruments who write perfect songs. Every track is catchy from beginning to end, and the bizarre presentation makes it impossible to look away. Call me a pedo, call me a troll, but the fact is that I don’t think I listened to any album more in 2014, and there was no band I was more anxious to share with friends both metal and non-metal alike. Sometimes metal needs to be fun, and Babymetal are all about it.
SEEEEEE YOUUUUUU!"

Best Comment:

"At first I was like WTF, but then I realized that he was right, BABYMETAL has been the most disruptive, polarizing band in metal today. I have watched Youtube videos of men with more tattoos then me, literally breaking down and crying, because they were so scared of what 3 little girls will do to the genre. Any group that can scare metalheads more than demons, zombies, or Satan himself gets my respect."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2014, 04:40:39 PM »
I really want to see them live....but they were opening for Lady Gaga.     I'm just really not interested in paying Lada Gaga priced tickets just to see the opening act and walk out.   

If they get to point where they are headlining theaters....I'm there.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2014, 05:49:03 PM »
Walking out on lady gaga oi m8
Had me a giggle

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2014, 06:14:43 PM »
Well yea, no point walking out if you spent the money, but yea I wouldnt want to spend the money for a lady gaga show just for the opener.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2014, 06:26:29 PM »
In a way...I guess I sort of get it.   Because, like Lady Gaga, this band is a bit more "theatrical"...but I'm just not into *******THE SHOW******* angle of concerts.   

Well, I suppose I don't apply that across the board.  Because as soon as I typed that, I immediately thought of the one exception to the rule.   The Wall. 

Still, for the most part, I really don't dig the theatrics of huge arena concerts.    I want to see the unbridled energy of artists with a passion for performing...on instruments. 

Babymetal simply has a new and original idea, and I really respect that and I also enjoy this new "hybrid" of metal music.   But I could do without the theatrics of the whole thing.   I think the music does, in fact, stand up on its own.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ishak540m

« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2015, 05:00:03 PM »
New Song: Road of Resistance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi-XFUZ5EL4

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2015, 05:21:55 PM »
Power metal must be the only music genre that is its own parody.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2015, 05:26:35 PM »
New Song: Road of Resistance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi-XFUZ5EL4

This just sounds like DragonForce. What's the big deal?

• DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2016, 10:29:25 AM »
Baby Metal made their American TV debut

https://youtu.be/rZApf9c8Tes

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2016, 11:54:29 AM »
Haha, Stephen in the beginning.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2016, 12:14:55 PM »
Very cool  :lol

Spent some time the other night randomly checking videos of theirs out, I can say one thing for sure. Su Metal can sing her fucking ass off.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2016, 12:57:50 PM »
Awesome!  :lol Glad that the band are good and plays live. Seems to consist of some good session musicians. The guitarist Takayoshi Ohmura have toured with Marty Friedman and done a solo CD with Richie Kotzen, Mark Boals and Doogie White.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2016, 02:51:00 AM »
I was catching up on Colbert and I saw this thing, thought the music the band played were entirely too familiar, sounds like music from a bunch of thrash/speed metal bands that I'm not into, even as a thrash fan. And I thought the 3 girls gimmick didn't help the band much alas for the comical contrast factor then I came online to find out that haha holy shit the 3 girls are the band baby metal.
I think it works just fine for a good laugh but otherwise:

'Pop' "metal" for 6-10 year old's.
Absolute rubbish  :metal
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2016, 05:58:07 AM »
I´m just amazed that in all the reviews for the new album  I´ve read, none of them talk about Tales of the destinies. That track is so freaking bananas it´s out of this world. And a perfect setup for The One. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2016, 03:07:13 PM »
I´m just amazed that in all the reviews for the new album  I´ve read, none of them talk about Tales of the destinies. That track is so freaking bananas it´s out of this world. And a perfect setup for The One.
I was preparing an answer about this song, tales, that is sooooo oriented to us DT fans :D
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2016, 02:42:07 AM »
I actually can't quite believe I'm typing these words, but -

Tales of the Destinies is better than anything on The Astonishing.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2016, 04:11:12 AM »
Haven't heard the album but that got me intrigued so I checked out the song. That was quite the trip to say the least 0:29-0:41 sounds more like DT than DT themselfs. :lol It's just a mix of alot of things 3:48-4:00 is so Lost Horizon and the chorus is Power Metal galore.

Enjoyed that song alot!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 09:46:17 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2016, 07:51:30 AM »
I don't care how good the back ground music is i just can't take this seriously.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2016, 08:51:01 AM »
I don't care how good the back ground music is i just can't take this seriously.

Then don't and take it for fun.  I find it hard to take seriously as well, but I still enjoy it because it's fun music.  They are actually playing in NYC fairly soon, but I don't think I'll go out of my way to see them.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2016, 04:04:02 PM »
The band shreds

Damn the energy from the band and crowd is pretty intense.  :lol  :corn  :metal

Offline Gromit1710

Dream Theater inspired - Babymetal song.
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2016, 05:30:37 PM »
Unless you've been living under a musical rock this last year or so, you've probably seen the name Babymetal at least once. I've searched the forums and found that a few of you know of this Japan sensation.

For those that haven't, I'll sum up: Imagine J-pop, Japan Idol culture, and insanely talented metal/rock/industrial musicians all smushed into a corporate project. It's a mix that shouldn't work. But like all genre breaking trialblazers, it has. To huge, sold out arena shows both in Japan and more recently, in America.

Skipping history, the fact that it's front members are young teenage girls who sing and do choreographed dance to death metal beats, and arguments of corporate fabrication ('cause really... there's plenty of argument about this already) I'll get to the connection between this forum and them.

This song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02uq_GQAly0

It's from their second album that just released this last week. Much like their previous album, there is a huge range of rock/metal sub genres represented, and no one specific flavor of anything provided it involves drums, bass, and guitar as the basic instruments.

When I heard this track, I instantly knew who it was a nod to. Everything from the synchronicity of the keyboard and guitar, some of the phrasing of the riffs... and if you're STILL not with me that it's a specific nod to Dream Theater... there's a passage that mimics Jordan's re-occurring use of old timey solo ragtime piano at 2:25.

In fact, the whole instrumental passage from 2:00 on sounds like an omage to DT's Stylings. To me, even the drums sound engineered to echo MP's drum sound of IAW and Awake.

As far as the project as a whole goes, I've been alright with Babymetal since I discovered it a couple years ago. The musical writing is spot on, the ability of the players is top notch, and I'm a sucker for cute things. It's different, refreshing, and something that isn't the standard norm cranked out by the industry these days. The fact that the producers did a massive nod to DT on this album makes it all the more fun.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 05:49:01 PM by Gromit1710 »

• DTF.org Member
Re: Dream Theater inspired - Babymetal song.
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2016, 05:59:51 PM »
We have a thread for the band and that song has already been discussed.  :)

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=40910.0

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2016, 03:40:02 AM »
Gave it a good spin this morning and although it has some lesser songs, the overall production is better. Su is singing her ass off on this album. This will definetely push them over worldwide, I feel. The Japanese version has one different song in the tracklisting but it´ll cost you an arm and a leg ordering that one. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2016, 05:50:11 AM »
Had a listen earlier. Take the vocals out and it was ok.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2016, 12:39:52 AM »
Have you guys seen Band Maid yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItYN-ri1NPs
This video played as an ad before a BabyMetal one.

Man, the Asian (and European) music scene is so diverse, meanwhile the North American music scene is just... not (I tried to think of something clever to say here but failed).  The NA scene is definitely repressed to say the least.  There was an interesting clip of Marty Friedman talking about the Japanese music scene and how much he loves it there cuz of how open it is.

This stuff is just so cool.  My only wish is that they'd talk more about the bands playing the actual music as there's some spectacular musicianship going on there.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2016, 12:58:37 AM »
 ::) ::) ::) ::)
Whatever you say man, whatever you say.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2016, 08:20:25 AM »
As already pointed out, there is already a thread for this band.  Not only that, but it is on page 1, so I'm not sure how you missed it.  This will be merged.

As to the song, I have no idea where "Dream Theater inspired" comes from.  There is nothing about the song that reminds me of Dream Theater in any way, shape, or form.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2016, 09:09:35 AM »
I would say the only part that's reminiscent of DT for me is 0:29-0:41.

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
  • Patch designer with Space4Keys.
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2016, 11:22:53 PM »
Sorry. But who would wanna listen to this group (and i am using that term loosly)....

They are dreadful. I only looked up Babymetal cause someone mentioned it on facebook... and to me it just sounded like a bunch of pikachus on steriods with a very dreadful musical background (again. Using that term extremely loosley) and its obvious that the 44million+ hits are fake...

And how can someone say they remind them of Dream Theater... hahha.... serious comment fail :-D
Solo Album in the making.....