Author Topic: BABYMETAL - メギツネ - MEGITSUNE  (Read 22143 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: BABYMETAL - メギツネ - MEGITSUNE
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2014, 09:14:44 PM »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ishak540m

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2014, 03:02:19 PM »
Apparently they made it on the bill along with Iron Maiden, Metallica, Dream Theater, The Winery Dogs, etc...:

Sonisphere Festival UK:
https://sonisphere.co.uk/
https://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/sonisphere/2014/lineup.shtml

Offline TL

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2014, 11:32:44 AM »
That's pretty neat for them, and certainly unexpected.  :lol
Hope it goes well for them.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2014, 11:35:30 AM »
I don't see what's so unexpected.. it's one of the larger metal festivals and has acts ranging from Limp Bizkit to Carcass in terms of genre depth.

Offline TL

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2014, 11:45:14 AM »
I don't see what's so unexpected.. it's one of the larger metal festivals and has acts ranging from Limp Bizkit to Carcass in terms of genre depth.
Maybe it's not then. I have no idea.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2014, 11:44:21 AM »
This...just...I...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ishak540m

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2014, 01:47:43 PM »
Babymetal World Tour 2014 (Live at Budokan too, lol):

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeOtUSUwSqg

Offline BlueRoseOrchestra

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2014, 08:01:14 PM »
i really liked Japanese music and their heavy metal bands in general. but i dunno about babymetal. i feel its a kind of insincere form of metal. first of all the girls didnt compose the music themselves and doesnt play any instruments - aren't these the basic standards for heavy metal musicians? i mean i understand they are all young and being mainstream but with pre-teen girls dancing to heavy metal, especially to a fairly good piece like Ijime Dame is a complete joke to heavy metal. thats also probably due to my dislike in dance music in general. their debut single was quite ok cuz the type of composition and music matches their concept. at that time i didnt dislike them at all cuz i was thinking that this concept is really awesome with exposing the heavy metal scene to young girls. but the single Ijime Dame was a total disaster for me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2014, 08:10:14 PM »
I know what you mean.   I'm pretty ambivalent about it myself.   I both love the concept and execution...and yet hate the "manufactured" aspect of it. 

It's probably something that I will buy the first album from...and then complain about how it all went downhill after they got popular.   :loser:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2014, 08:22:44 PM »
i really liked Japanese music and their heavy metal bands in general. but i dunno about babymetal. i feel its a kind of insincere form of metal. first of all the girls didnt compose the music themselves and doesnt play any instruments - aren't these the basic standards for heavy metal musicians?

Not necessarily.  I mean, it's not as if there are rules.  I get it if that aspect bothers you, but there have been plenty of "heavy metal" bands that have had outside writers.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2014, 08:29:13 PM »
I can sort of see the problem people have with outside writers, but honestly, if the result is music that I enjoy, I don't care so much how it was made.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2014, 10:29:35 PM »
i really liked Japanese music and their heavy metal bands in general. but i dunno about babymetal. i feel its a kind of insincere form of metal. first of all the girls didnt compose the music themselves and doesnt play any instruments - aren't these the basic standards for heavy metal musicians? i mean i understand they are all young and being mainstream but with pre-teen girls dancing to heavy metal, especially to a fairly good piece like Ijime Dame is a complete joke to heavy metal. thats also probably due to my dislike in dance music in general. their debut single was quite ok cuz the type of composition and music matches their concept. at that time i didnt dislike them at all cuz i was thinking that this concept is really awesome with exposing the heavy metal scene to young girls. but the single Ijime Dame was a total disaster for me.

The bold sections are just biases and pretensions of the metal fanbase.  A good many metal fans take the whole idea of "true metal" faaaaaar to seriously, which is why from the 80's to the present, there has been constantly mud-slinging going back and forth between the various sub-genres of metal, first between thrash and hair metal, and then later between everything vs everything else.  To many metal fans, anything that doesn't fit quite right with their idea of "true" metal is some sort of heresy that needs to be purged by fire.

IMO, this is just a ridiculous attitude on the part of the metal culture.  Especially at this point, there are so many different types of metal, attempting to define any one style as "true" is a pointless endeavor.  If someone doesn't like some particular sub-sect of metal, they don't need to listen to it.  I'm not a fan of hip-hop at all, and I hated a lot of nu-metal bands from the early 2000's, but I don't take my metal fandom so seriously as to think that nu-metal was some sort of cancer that needed to be cut out and destroyed to keep the body of true metal pure and healthy.  I simply don't listen to them, and don't care if they choose to brand themselves as metal or not.

The same should apply to Babymetal.  Now I actually do like this band quite a bit, probably because I'm a big fan of anime and love my share of J-pop/J-rock along side my more metal bands.  But even if I didn't, the idea that Babymetal, or any other band for that matter, is "the cancer that is killing metal" is asinine.  Different bands have different ideas of what "metal" means and how they incorporate it into their musical projects.  I'm not going to begrudge anyone the opportunity to dabble in metal, even if they do so in a way that I strongly dislike.  And if someone out there just so happens to combine metal with some other genre of music I actually do like.... well, that's just awesome. 

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2014, 01:09:31 AM »

IMO, this is just a ridiculous attitude on the part of the metal culture.  Especially at this point, there are so many different types of metal, attempting to define any one style as "true" is a pointless endeavor.  If someone doesn't like some particular sub-sect of metal, they don't need to listen to it.  I'm not a fan of hip-hop at all, and I hated a lot of nu-metal bands from the early 2000's, but I don't take my metal fandom so seriously as to think that nu-metal was some sort of cancer that needed to be cut out and destroyed to keep the body of true metal pure and healthy.  I simply don't listen to them, and don't care if they choose to brand themselves as metal or not.

The same should apply to Babymetal.

i also disliked a lot of nu-metal bands and other sub-genres of heavy metal, say industrial metal (Nine inch Nails is the only one i can accept so far). i also avoided them and never shared a single opinion on them because i understand they are also musicians but with another level of musicality. as far as i know Babymetal doesnt belong to any sub-genre of heavy metal, they are not musicians nor play any instruments. all they were offering is singing, dancing and performing some cute moves to metal music. its just like any other pop group say, backstreet boys, but with a twist of metal. to aligned them with those nu-metal bands is as asinine as your presumed "ridiculous attitude" towards metal culture/fandom.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:37:12 AM by BlueRoseOrchestra »

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2014, 01:56:58 AM »

Now I actually do like this band quite a bit, probably because I'm a big fan of anime and love my share of J-pop/J-rock along side my more metal bands.  But even if I didn't, the idea that Babymetal, or any other band for that matter, is "the cancer that is killing metal" is asinine.  Different bands have different ideas of what "metal" means and how they incorporate it into their musical projects.  I'm not going to begrudge anyone the opportunity to dabble in metal, even if they do so in a way that I strongly dislike.  And if someone out there just so happens to combine metal with some other genre of music I actually do like.... well, that's just awesome.

i guess u didnt fully comprehend my comment or maybe i should've expressed differently. i did said i didnt dislike Babymetal for their debut single and loved their concept of incoporating new ideas and introducing heavy metal scene to the public. what is dislike is the degree of the incorporation.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2014, 06:09:30 PM »

i also disliked a lot of nu-metal bands and other sub-genres of heavy metal, say industrial metal (Nine inch Nails is the only one i can accept so far). i also avoided them and never shared a single opinion on them because i understand they are also musicians but with another level of musicality. as far as i know Babymetal doesnt belong to any sub-genre of heavy metal, they are not musicians nor play any instruments. all they were offering is singing, dancing and performing some cute moves to metal music. its just like any other pop group say, backstreet boys, but with a twist of metal. to aligned them with those nu-metal bands is as asinine as your presumed "ridiculous attitude" towards metal culture/fandom.

i guess u didnt fully comprehend my comment or maybe i should've expressed differently. i did said i didnt dislike Babymetal for their debut single and loved their concept of incoporating new ideas and introducing heavy metal scene to the public. what is dislike is the degree of the incorporation.

I comprehended everything you said just fine, thank you very much.  You don't like the fact that the girls, like many pop stars, are more just performers rather then musicians and songwriters.   That is your opinion, which of course you are free to have.  Nothing wrong with not liking how Babymetal (or anyone else for that matter) combines metal and non-metal elements in their music.  But you were still making the assertion that mixing J-pop singing, dancing, etc with metal music when the girls in Babymetal are not musicians is some how an insult to Metal-dom ( your words indicated as much, i.e. " i feel its a kind of insincere form of metal." and "pre-teen girls dancing to heavy metal, especially to a fairly good piece like Ijime Dame is a complete joke to heavy metal.") 

If you think the nu-metal bands were some how less offensive to metal then Babymetal because of the level of musicianship the members of those bands utilized, fine.  That's your choice, and I'm not really going to argue with that.  But I do think you missed the broader point of my post.  What I was calling ridiculous was the notion, prevalent throughout much of metal fandom,  that there is some sort of sacred "true" form of heavy metal, and that mixing metal with other, non-metal forms of music is heresy.   That was the part I was calling asinine, because there is no reason to take music that seriously, and metal isn't really well defined enough as a genre to give rise to some sort of universal metal law.  There are no "basic standards" in metal beyond just being heavy and guitar riff driven music.  Musicianship really doesn't factor into it.  For every metal band of technical wizards like Dream Theater, there are countless bands of talentless players that barely know three chords.  And songwriting doesn't really matter, either.  Countless metal bands have utilized outside writers who sometime compose the bulk of the band's music.  You may not like it, but it happens, and quite frankly, I don't see how it makes a band less authentically metal.

Ultimately, I see Babymetal as being in the same league as Spinal Tap and Dethklok.  They are a fabricated marketing tool that is more about the theme and the spectacle of metal, and the humor that can be derived from it, then they are about being an actual band in the conventional sense. It's certainly not for everyone, but it's still highly entertaining.  And since music is really just entertainment, is that not all that really matters?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 06:25:49 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2014, 08:26:05 PM »
So, I hear news from the Download Festival Forum that Babymetal is doing their own headlining show in the UK in London's Electric Ballroom, which is a 1000 people capacity.  A few days later, I then hear the news that they got upgraded to The Forum which is a 2000 people capacity.  This craze is spreading like fire there.  Holy cow.

https://forums.downloadfestival.co.uk/m5902080.aspx
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 08:39:54 PM by Anguyen92 »

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2014, 12:04:25 AM »

I comprehended everything you said just fine, thank you very much.  You don't like the fact that the girls, like many pop stars, are more just performers rather then musicians and songwriters.   That is your opinion, which of course you are free to have.  Nothing wrong with not liking how Babymetal (or anyone else for that matter) combines metal and non-metal elements in their music.  But you were still making the assertion that mixing J-pop singing, dancing, etc with metal music when the girls in Babymetal are not musicians is some how an insult to Metal-dom ( your words indicated as much, i.e. " i feel its a kind of insincere form of metal." and "pre-teen girls dancing to heavy metal, especially to a fairly good piece like Ijime Dame is a complete joke to heavy metal.") 

If you think the nu-metal bands were some how less offensive to metal then Babymetal because of the level of musicianship the members of those bands utilized, fine.  That's your choice, and I'm not really going to argue with that.  But I do think you missed the broader point of my post.  What I was calling ridiculous was the notion, prevalent throughout much of metal fandom,  that there is some sort of sacred "true" form of heavy metal, and that mixing metal with other, non-metal forms of music is heresy.   That was the part I was calling asinine, because there is no reason to take music that seriously, and metal isn't really well defined enough as a genre to give rise to some sort of universal metal law.  There are no "basic standards" in metal beyond just being heavy and guitar riff driven music.  Musicianship really doesn't factor into it.  For every metal band of technical wizards like Dream Theater, there are countless bands of talentless players that barely know three chords.  And songwriting doesn't really matter, either.  Countless metal bands have utilized outside writers who sometime compose the bulk of the band's music.  You may not like it, but it happens, and quite frankly, I don't see how it makes a band less authentically metal.

Ultimately, I see Babymetal as being in the same league as Spinal Tap and Dethklok.  They are a fabricated marketing tool that is more about the theme and the spectacle of metal, and the humor that can be derived from it, then they are about being an actual band in the conventional sense. It's certainly not for everyone, but it's still highly entertaining.  And since music is really just entertainment, is that not all that really matters?

seemed like u comprehended until my 2nd reply with my expanded explanation. if i were to think the whole idea of incorporating metal with jpop elements were an insult i would have never liked them from the beginning. its like i said, its not until the single Ijime Dame Zettai provoked that thinking cuz the song itself is a very good piece. incorporating too much pop elements is making jpop listeners appreciate metal in a totally different direction as compared to metal listeners with a good metal foundation. and this effect, IMO, will not be healthy for the metal scene in the long run. if u dont think incorporating classical, orchestration, blues etc, to embellish rock and twisting it into complex syncopated structures breaking all the rules in classical music, which is exactly what Dream Theater and few other metal bands and jazz fusion does, is not well-defined enough to be considered as universal metal law in the current musical era then thats your interpretation of music. no problem if u dont take the things u love so seriously but doesnt mean u can judge the ones that does (biases? pretensions?). i guess you just have a different perspective on music than those your so called "ridiculous metal fandom", and it happens all the time when people dont understand other's (i would say open-minded hardcore) perspective. i got your board view very clearly, thats why i said "your presumed ridiculous metal fandom".

i wouldnt say that bands doesnt compose makes them less authentically metal, cuz they are still playing within metal genre. thats quite a huge assumption u made just based on me saying not liking their music and less involvement in composing. apparently u automatically projected ur previous encounters with those metal fandom toward me. it is only in this case, Babymetal, incorporated too much pop elements which made it less authentic. but i get what you are saying. music is purely entertainment. preferences varies with people, and theres still tons of music lovers never ever heard of the heavy metal genre.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 04:07:42 AM by BlueRoseOrchestra »

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2014, 04:33:14 PM »

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2014, 05:37:53 PM »
With Hatsune Miku and now this Lady Gaga knows what's what with her opening bands.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2014, 06:53:35 PM »
I'm actually happy that this isn't coming to Seattle...I would hate to say I went to a Lady Gaga show...even if it was just to see the opening act and then bolt for the door.

That being said, I would probably be the only human in the building to do so.   I could be totally wrong, but I don't think Babymetal would go over very well at a Lady Gaga show.    Even if they are a sortof "bubble gum death metal" thing...I would think it would go over like a lead balloon.  :-\

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2014, 08:29:30 PM »
I'm actually happy that this isn't coming to Seattle...I would hate to say I went to a Lady Gaga show...even if it was just to see the opening act and then bolt for the door.

That being said, I would probably be the only human in the building to do so.   I could be totally wrong, but I don't think Babymetal would go over very well at a Lady Gaga show.    Even if they are a sortof "bubble gum death metal" thing...I would think it would go over like a lead balloon.  :-\
What's ya beef with Lady Gaga hmm?
She's fuckin radical.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2014, 10:08:06 PM »
Lady Gaga freaking rocks.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2014, 12:17:29 AM »
I think that's the best combination.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2014, 02:44:50 AM »
I've tried but I just can't stand Lady Gaga. It's not the meat dresses or full frontal nudity or overall craziness I just don't find her music interesting.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jammindude

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2014, 04:55:02 AM »
I've tried but I just can't stand Lady Gaga. It's not the meat dresses or full frontal nudity or overall craziness I just don't find her music interesting.

This.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2014, 06:34:24 AM »
I enjoyed that way more than I should!! :o
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2014, 10:41:03 AM »

This.

Quite a bit strong to say you can't someone just because you find her music uninteresting, which even if you don't like her music, I can't see how you can call it uninteresting. Listening to her last two albums you'll find a huge range of different influences and different sounds. Even on her first album "The Fame" she has some pretty different tracks from those first hits everybody remembers, such as 'Summerboy' and 'Brown Eyes'.

Totally cool if you guys don't dig the music, but it's unfair to call it uninteresting, when there's not really any other artist like her.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2014, 10:53:48 AM »
That still doesn't mean it is interesting.  I don't find her music interesting either.  And the rest of the Lady Gaga "package" is very offputting to me.  People happen to not like what you like.  There is nothing unfair about that whatsoever.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2014, 11:18:20 AM »
I never said it was unfair to not like what I like Bosk, but I did say it's hard to call somebody uninteresting when their music is anything but; doesn't mean you have to like it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2014, 11:27:56 AM »
Totally cool if you guys don't dig the music, but it's unfair to call it uninteresting, when there's not really any other artist like her.
Why? I really don't find anything interesting about her music, as simple as that. Do I respect her for the successful artist she is, hell yea but I couldn't care less about all the provocative shit she's doing outside of her music that people call radical or fresh. I only care about what music she puts out and for me there's nothing radical or fresh about her music that peaks my interest. She has some nice radio tunes but thats about it.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2014, 11:37:04 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtQa3JLRfUg (There's some radical bass in this)

From Born This Way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHGKG9dyTKI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDt_oagItBM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9YMU0WeBwU

That's just a few tracks from Born This Way, but I think it's pretty interesting at the very least that she can manage to have an album with influencings ranging from hispanic music to rock to country to 80's pop and somehow make it all work and feel like it belongs there. Her new album also has quite a range to it.

Also interest =/= interesting

I'm not interested in the new Watch Dogs game, but there's a lot of interesting features to it nonetheless.

Like I said though, you're not obligated to like her, that's not what I'm getting at, all I'm saying is that I find it hard to call someone uninteresting when they're one of the few artists of their kind, whether you like what they make or not.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
I never said it was unfair to not like what I like Bosk, but I did say it's hard to call somebody uninteresting when their music is anything but; doesn't mean you have to like it.

Okay.  I'm not trying to be pedantic, but:

...it's unfair to call it uninteresting

Her music just does not interest some people, me included.  And I get your point.  But she is also a very polarizing figure, and intentionally so, so it is also to be expected that in addition to those who are genuinely not interested in what she brings to the table, you are also going to get a lot of people who overreact and...for lack of a better discription, intentionally disinterest themselves in her.  While perhaps not "fair" (which supports your point), I think it is also understandable.  I think Gaga herself might be the first to admit that, given the polarizing persona she has embraced, she fully expects and embraces the fact that many will feel that way about her.

And I get your point, but I think you are splitting hairs by trying to draw a dichotomy in saying "interest =/= interesting."

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2014, 11:51:04 AM »
I kind of agree with bosk for once. An artist can be super diverse, avant-garde etc. and some people just don't think they're interesting.

Maybe Dark Castle's point is that some people just assume Lady Gaga is a regular pop singer when he feels there's more to it then that?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2014, 12:06:49 PM »
I'm not interested in the new Watch Dogs game, but there's a lot of interesting features to it nonetheless.
:lol

Offline Xenon

« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2014, 05:05:57 PM »
Since not every person has the same interests, uninteresting for me, it's not the same for you and viceversa
So, it's totally fair to call her music uninteresting  ;D

BTW, I love babymetal.