Author Topic: BABYMETAL - メギツネ - MEGITSUNE  (Read 21976 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: BABYMETAL - メギツネ - MEGITSUNE
« Reply #140 on: December 20, 2016, 10:07:39 AM »
That was so nice....

I like how he dressed up too.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #141 on: June 17, 2017, 05:57:34 PM »
Can't wait for tomorrow. Gonna be an epic show. Here's hoping for Road to Resistance
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #142 on: June 17, 2017, 10:22:16 PM »
I was tempted, but don't really feel like shelling out that type of cash for just Babymetal. Have zero interest in the other bands.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #143 on: June 17, 2017, 10:48:22 PM »
Is there even any difference between Moametal and Yuimetal?

They are posed differently so you gotta get'em both.

I really hope they do the band next.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2017, 11:13:00 PM »
I was tempted, but don't really feel like shelling out that type of cash for just Babymetal. Have zero interest in the other bands.

Yeah I hear ya. Its a 40 min. Set.

I did because theirs no other way I'm gonna see them again without traveling far.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2017, 07:19:45 AM »
LA Paladium was a headliner show (their first ever in the US) and ran for 13 songs in total. They had Hellyeah as as support act.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline gm5k

« Reply #146 on: June 22, 2017, 06:23:08 AM »
LA Paladium was a headliner show (their first ever in the US) and ran for 13 songs in total. They had Hellyeah as as support act.

Huge congrats to Babymetal.  Really an awesome triumph.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #147 on: June 29, 2017, 03:44:02 AM »

BM with Korn!  It was also Yui's birthday on this show. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #148 on: May 07, 2018, 09:22:47 AM »
They just released a new song

Distortion:
https://youtu.be/1ce456Nnkt8

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #149 on: May 07, 2018, 03:10:59 PM »
They just released a new song

Distortion:
https://youtu.be/1ce456Nnkt8

Did Herman Li quit?
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2018, 03:01:59 AM »
He was never part of the band. That was a one time only collaboration on one song.

I'm seeing them live on my birthday.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: December 26, 2020, 11:35:23 AM »
Stumbled upon Bring Me The Horizon - Kingslayer feat. Babymetal.

Pretty cool song, since I haven't heard Babymetal for sometime I kinda got a shock realizing they're in their 20s now.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #152 on: October 20, 2022, 09:48:34 AM »
Babymetal to return with a concept album...

First single released...
https://youtu.be/_gUW2OnPvHI

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #153 on: March 18, 2023, 12:52:30 PM »
I am really into their latest single release, Light and Darkness. This blend of Electronic (techno), Metal and Pop (more so the catchy melody aspect of pop music) is what I am really enjoying about music right now. The tone of the piano chords together with the guitar in the chorus has this neat effect of feeling like your drifting in the sky with the stars twinkling in a moonlit night.

This song also for some reason, makes me think of Kingdom Hearts.  :biggrin:

Light and Darkness

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #154 on: March 18, 2023, 01:13:41 PM »
They definitely seem to be trying to branch away from the kiddie metal gimmick that they earned their fame on, shooting for a more mature sound will see how it plays out.

They did a one take piano version of Monochrome that really showcases Su and Mao's vocals..

https://youtu.be/h-hPGRSjgms

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2023, 07:43:16 AM »
Just finished my first full spin of the new album, and I'm definitely impressed. They've seemed to ditch the 'Baby' part of Babymetal, and delivered a much more mature sounding album (the bar was pretty low I'll admit). Also, they've seemed to settle on a style of metal, whereas in previous albums they jumped from one to the other with abandon, this is much tighter, and much, much more focused sounding. They're not playing around here, this to me seems a venture into a serious direction for the band. Musically it's very solid, as the Kami band always is, and vocally Su is as usual without peer. She's so fucking good.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2023, 07:56:52 AM »
I haven't listened to any of the singles, but will check out the album.  I'm cool with them dropping some of the "baby" stuff because well, they are grown women now.  But also, I believe there's been changes to the other singers leaving Su are still the main girl so if they are going the route of focusing more on her and less on the other two, it would make sense to me.

I do hope they do a US tour since they'll be in the country later this year for some festivals.  I still rate the 2019 NYC show as one of the most wild mosh pits I've ever been in.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2023, 08:02:07 AM »
Hoping for a tour as well... Though I'll probably hit the Saturday they play at Aftershock just to catch them in a festival setting. They're big enough to where they should get an hour set. (plus there's Polyphia, Avatar, 311,Korn and Pantera that day to make it worth the money)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2023, 08:07:45 AM »
As to the singers, they just lost Yui, Moa is still the backup, but Su is the voice of the band for sure, don't think there'd be a Babymetal without her.

The singles still stand out as favorites for me, especially Monochrome, Metal Kingdom, and Divine Attack. Monochrome especially is, for me, a masterpiece track, balancing a very heavy theme (the bombing of Hiroshima) with a tinge of hope. I highly recommend watching the lyric video for that one, it's really well done.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2023, 10:01:54 AM »
I think the band could keep going.

When the band first got started, I immediately saw it as a potential for what the Spanish did with the famous Menudo kid group. The group went through tons of different members (IIRC, the most famous lineup didn’t even have any original members) but the group remained.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2023, 10:27:28 AM »
I'd disagree, if they lose Su for whatever reason, they're done.

She is Babymetal, I highly doubt the fan base would accept a substitute.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2023, 11:16:26 AM »
She does have a lovely voice. I just think that the “project” of Babymetal is completely manufactured. And while that used to rub me the wrong way, I’ve come to appreciate that there can be artistry conducted behind the scenes in the form of songwriting and arrangement that you never see on stage.

Paul O’Neill was a great example. Once Paul got involved, Savatage slowly over time began to have less and less involvement of the Oliva brothers. Eventually getting to the point TSO was able to exist with minimal input from Jon and his creative force could go into JOP.

I don’t know who it is, but I’m sure Babymetal has its own creative entity working behind the scenes and they are just writing, arranging, and directing the pawns in the show. If it’s a good enough show, the pawns can be rearranged.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2023, 11:21:37 AM »
I just think that the “project” of Babymetal is completely manufactured.

It is.  There's no denying this was a record label made band. They could continue without Su IMO. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2023, 11:24:08 AM »
She does have a lovely voice. I just think that the “project” of Babymetal is completely manufactured. And while that used to rub me the wrong way, I’ve come to appreciate that there can be artistry conducted behind the scenes in the form of songwriting and arrangement that you never see on stage.

Paul O’Neill was a great example. Once Paul got involved, Savatage slowly over time began to have less and less involvement of the Oliva brothers. Eventually getting to the point TSO was able to exist with minimal input from Jon and his creative force could go into JOP.

I don’t know who it is, but I’m sure Babymetal has its own creative entity working behind the scenes and they are just writing, arranging, and directing the pawns in the show. If it’s a good enough show, the pawns can be rearranged.

Could it be possible that the creators of the "project" searched for a very good female vocalist, and Su Metal was one of the best.

(edit: I edited out my explanation for why I enjoy Babymetal, as I better explained it in my following post.)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 12:06:12 PM by Ben_Jamin »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2023, 11:27:19 AM »

It is.  There's no denying this was a record label made band. They could continue without Su IMO.

We'll definitely have to disagree. It was a manufactured project, nobody will doubt that, and even survived the death of their guitarist and the injury/early retirement of Yui, and maybe could even survive Moa bailing...but Su? Nah...they'd try, don't get me wrong, they'd certainly try, but it just wouldn't fly. If it was a few years back, maybe...but they've crucified her and brought her back to life on stage way too many times. She is Babymetal.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2023, 12:03:07 PM »

They could, but they won't be as big, unless they find another female singer as amazing as Su.

A great example is Redemption, look at how people are not into them anymore due to Tom Englunds vocals not being the same as Ray's vocals. People have a connection to Ray and consider him a big part of Redemption. That is what I would see happening if Su left Babymetal.

Su Metal, is not why I enjoy Babymetal entirely though, she is only a part of the whole. What I really love about Babymetal is how they blend different genres along with metal, starting off with J-Pop which was more relatable to the girls. I also did not expect them to continue making songs like Doki Doki Morning. With each album, I hear an evolution and a sort of growth from the girls.

This new album, expands on that and shows that the girls have grown up now and are not teens/kids anymore. This being a concept album also makes me feel this maturity a lot as well. I will need to translate and hope for better english translations in the future to fully grasp what the concept is.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2023, 12:08:34 PM »
Well, like every band who has replaced a lead singer, there will be torn fans, but like bands who have replaced lead singer, they usually continue to live on.  Such as Redemption.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2023, 12:11:41 PM »

This new album, expands on that and shows that the girls have grown up now and are not teens/kids anymore. This being a concept album also makes me feel this maturity a lot as well. I will need to translate and hope for better english translations in the future to fully grasp what the concept is.

Yeah, let me know when you do...I don't think it's going to be a concept album as we formally know it here, ie a story with characters etc.. but who knows I could be wrong.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2023, 01:14:19 PM »

Yeah, let me know when you do...I don't think it's going to be a concept album as we formally know it here, ie a story with characters etc.. but who knows I could be wrong.

I did find this that someone posted on a Reddit thread...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MdhdzE3TwUl3ZzA1Un4RpI4qGZ4BqjpSC8QEO6xQiQE/edit#gid=1328994585

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2023, 01:20:44 PM »
Well, like every band who has replaced a lead singer, there will be torn fans, but like bands who have replaced lead singer, they usually continue to live on.  Such as Redemption.

I agree.

Although, I would say a lot of fans do consider Su-Metal to be an integral and important part of Babymetal. I could see them continuing, but not in the way they are now. To win over the audience acceptance of a new singer for the band, I think centering the transition around the lore, possibly tying SU leaving and the introduction of a new sort of "entity" or "speaker" role that SU-Metal plays, would be the better option to go with.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #170 on: March 27, 2023, 03:56:29 PM »
I am loving this album. Time Wave is such a fun song, and I love the mix of Trance with Metal.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #171 on: March 27, 2023, 07:35:55 PM »
Yep, thoroughly enjoying it. Of the ones that weren't singles, I think Maya is my fav, but Monochrome still crushes them all. I think that may pass Karate and Road of Resistance as my fav Babymetal track actually.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2023, 01:08:52 PM »
Just finished my first full spin of the new album, and I'm definitely impressed. They've seemed to ditch the 'Baby' part of Babymetal, and delivered a much more mature sounding album (the bar was pretty low I'll admit). Also, they've seemed to settle on a style of metal, whereas in previous albums they jumped from one to the other with abandon, this is much tighter, and much, much more focused sounding. They're not playing around here, this to me seems a venture into a serious direction for the band. Musically it's very solid, as the Kami band always is, and vocally Su is as usual without peer. She's so fucking good.

Finally checked the album out, and I think I can see what you are talking about here and agree with it.  I will say though, as much as their lyrics are cringe on some songs, I am missing those fast paced and wild songs like Gimme Chocolate or Karate.  They definitely seemed to have settled into a style for this album, and sadly it doesn't include that style.  Doesn't mean the album is bad, it's quite good actually, just I feel like I personally would have liked one or two of those high tempo songs that really got me into Babymetal in the first place.  There's still quite a bit of diversity on the album though.  I always thought they somehow did a good job mixing different genres into their sound and they continue to do that with some of the synth wave / techno stuff they have here.  And yeah, the lack of the "babies" is noticeable.  I also saw they didn't release any music videos with dances from the girls.  I wonder if this is all part of a change to shift away from that. I hate admitting it, but I enjoyed the dances.  It gave their live show something unique and it was something fun to try and follow myself when watching the music videos. (might make for a funny video to see me try to do the Megitsune dance).

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2023, 01:52:15 PM »

Finally checked the album out, and I think I can see what you are talking about here and agree with it.  I will say though, as much as their lyrics are cringe on some songs, I am missing those fast paced and wild songs like Gimme Chocolate or Karate.  They definitely seemed to have settled into a style for this album, and sadly it doesn't include that style.  Doesn't mean the album is bad, it's quite good actually, just I feel like I personally would have liked one or two of those high tempo songs that really got me into Babymetal in the first place.  There's still quite a bit of diversity on the album though.  I always thought they somehow did a good job mixing different genres into their sound and they continue to do that with some of the synth wave / techno stuff they have here.  And yeah, the lack of the "babies" is noticeable.  I also saw they didn't release any music videos with dances from the girls.  I wonder if this is all part of a change to shift away from that. I hate admitting it, but I enjoyed the dances.  It gave their live show something unique and it was something fun to try and follow myself when watching the music videos. (might make for a funny video to see me try to do the Megitsune dance).

So the Live video they released for Light and Darkness doesn't count as a music video with dances from the girls?  :biggrin:

The dancing is an integral aspect of Babymetal. It's a part of the presentation, and I personally love it because I consider it interpretive dancing. Each dance they have for their songs relates to the lyrics.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2023, 02:04:06 PM »
I saw a fancam from their recent performance of Monochrome before it got scrubbed, and the dancing is still there. Brilliant song live actually, in the quiet part Su had the crowd turn on their flashlights, really made for a beautiful scene.