Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 285187 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: NFL thread 2014 v. Saints' D says "Astro Glide won't be necessary."
« Reply #1050 on: September 08, 2014, 04:21:13 PM »
Agreed on all accounts Kev.

BTW, Bart and Reap, I don't disagree at all and it is their job to protect player but boy I was thinking that the pressure the NFLPA would be under by doing their job and that I'd like to see that pressure on the players. 

Also, Scott Zolak and ex QB for the Pats on the radio today was cursing how the QB's are being protected these days.  I agree.  The league and all these rules they are stressing is playing into to the fans of fantasy Football.

I know how big Fantasy Football is but it's getting real close to flag football and I'm not liking it.  Protect the heads of players I'm all for, the other stuff is nonsense.

Joe Flacco got absolutely drilled on a late hit, and  no flag was thrown. But that always seems to be the case with Flacco.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1051 on: September 08, 2014, 04:23:31 PM »
Kev, can you please stay on topic?  If you want to talk about that other stuff, that's fine, but don't do it in the Ray Rice thread.

:lol

BTW,  sorry DOC.  I hate seeing this stuff.  Sucks as a fan when that happens to your team.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1052 on: September 08, 2014, 04:26:07 PM »
Kev, can you please stay on topic?  If you want to talk about that other stuff, that's fine, but don't do it in the Ray Rice thread.

:lol

BTW,  sorry DOC.  I hate seeing this stuff.  Sucks as a fan when that happens to your team.

No need to apologize. I know what you've gone through with the Pats. I wouldn't expect casual fans to be able to relate.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1053 on: September 08, 2014, 04:27:49 PM »
I think Fantasy football is ruining football, which is part of the reason I don't think I enjoy it any more.  Players are viewed on fantasy value, and not real value, and per game shows and analysts are catering to the FF fan.

I realize I am in the minority on this, but I would much rather get the end zone all 22 view of football and a DVR with only stadium/field microphones.  Guess that is the former coach in me, and why I love Matt Bowen's column.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1054 on: September 08, 2014, 04:29:29 PM »

Joe Flacco got absolutely drilled on a late hit, and  no flag was thrown. But that always seems to be the case with Flacco.

Big Ben gets the same treatment as Flacco because they are big guys, and not waifs like Tom Brady.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1055 on: September 08, 2014, 04:33:57 PM »
I think Fantasy football is ruining football, which is part of the reason I don't think I enjoy it any more.  Players are viewed on fantasy value, and not real value, and per game shows and analysts are catering to the FF fan.

I know what you mean, but the emphasis on fantasy isn't going to decrease.  If anything, it will keep growing.  Fantasy is a huge part of why the NFL is so popular.  It gives following football a participatory aspect that no other sport has.  The way people are addicted to Fantasy Football is actually kind of amazing.  I know really busy people that are still putting in the time to evaluate players and create their own draft ratings.  Of course the NFL is going to emphasize something that brings it so much attention.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1056 on: September 08, 2014, 04:34:36 PM »

I realize I am in the minority on this, but I would much rather get the end zone all 22 view of football and a DVR with only stadium/field microphones.  Guess that is the former coach in me, and why I love Matt Bowen's column.

I'm in your corner.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1057 on: September 08, 2014, 04:35:57 PM »

I'll think about it... :biggrin:

And think about those bozos in the stands in Baltimore who loudly cheered Rice at the one preseason game. :facepalm:

Bozos? I don't think that's fair, especially since the video just came out today.

You're right.  Prior to today, all we saw was Rice dragging his unconscious girlfriend out of an elevator after, by his own admission, knocking her out.  Yeah, a guy like that should definitely be cheered.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1058 on: September 08, 2014, 04:46:35 PM »

I'll think about it... :biggrin:

And think about those bozos in the stands in Baltimore who loudly cheered Rice at the one preseason game. :facepalm:

Bozos? I don't think that's fair, especially since the video just came out today.

You're right.  Prior to today, all we saw was Rice dragging his unconscious girlfriend out of an elevator after, by his own admission, knocking her out.  Yeah, a guy like that should definitely be cheered.

None of us knew that this was exactly what happened. We were told that his wife had a hand in it and that it was more two sided than it really was. Without condoning "the dispute"  but instead trusting how the parties involved, the team and the league described what happened, we as a city were ready to support our guy. He lied. She lied. This is different. The end.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1059 on: September 08, 2014, 04:51:45 PM »
We were told that his wife had a hand in it and that it was more two sided than it really was.

Even a broken watch is right twice a day, and this is where the crazy feminists make an important point.  If he punched her in the face hard enough to knock her out, and she didn't pull out some kind of weapon, then there is nothing she could have said or done to justifiably provoke it.  The term victim blaming is thrown around too loosely, but it totally applies here.
Over and over again

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1060 on: September 08, 2014, 05:00:28 PM »
@Kev, I think the league's actions do matter. Rice would have been signed again this year. Wouldn't have been anytime soon because of the baggage, but around week 8 or 9 when somebody's all-pro running back gets injured, he'd get signed as a replacement and the team would have the "well, fuck, what were we suppose to do" card to play. Strictly as a desperation move a team would be able to get away with signing him in a couple of months. However, now the baggage goes much further. It won't blow over until it's settled, and with the likely appeal it won't be settled anytime soon. If it doesn't get resolved until week 8 or 9, then that's when the clock starts on putting it in the past and we won't be seeing him this year.

And it still bugs me that the networks won't provide a field noise only SAP. That happened for a bit last year due to a technical glitch and it was awesome. The best I've been able to come up with was a stream of Football de Lundi Nuit. You still have commentary but since you can't understand it you tune it out pretty quickly.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1061 on: September 08, 2014, 05:05:43 PM »
Looks like it will be a good two weeks at least before I'll be able to watch Sportscenter again.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1062 on: September 08, 2014, 05:15:53 PM »
Looks like it will be a good two weeks at least before I'll be able to watch Sportscenter again.

A lot of people are going to want Goodell's head on a pike:

- A lot of people in the media think the NFL was lying about not having seen the tape.
 - Now that the tape is out, the outrage about his two game suspension is going to be even stronger.
 - The other owners are probably unhappy that Goodell has made the league look bad.
 - The NFLPA is going to be pissed because he just violated the CBA by giving Rice another suspension.

If some kind of hard evidence leaks that the NFL had the tape, Goodell is gone.
Over and over again

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1063 on: September 08, 2014, 05:16:58 PM »
Maybe the NFL can trade for Adam Silver. He looks like someone who's willing to get shit done.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1064 on: September 08, 2014, 05:17:16 PM »
Ya know, Roger Goodell just announced the new policy 10 days ago, and now he's disregarding it already. How does 6 games become indefinite?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1065 on: September 08, 2014, 05:22:55 PM »
Ya know, Roger Goodell just announced the new policy 10 days ago, and now he's disregarding it already. How does 6 games become indefinite?

The policy technically says the suspension can be longer or shorter due to circumstances.

But I know what you mean.  Rice's indefinite suspension is the act of someone who doesn't know what he's doing.  What Goodell wants is (a) to look like he's doing something and (b) make sure another team doesn't sign Rice, provoking a new shit storm.

He didn't accomplish the first goal at all.  No one cares.  Too many people are suspicious he saw the tape in the first place.  Too many people, now that they've seen the tape, find Goodell's judgment in the first place to be totally indefensible.

The second goal has been technically accomplished, but he's risking a grievance being filed by the union, which it could easily win.  Also, like you said, people would eventually forget about this anyway.  Now Goodell is ensuring it will be dragged out.

I don't know why anyone debates this guy's performance as commissioner.  He's a fuck up.  The NFL's growth is in spite of him.
Over and over again

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1066 on: September 08, 2014, 05:23:19 PM »
Ravens press conference coming up. I don't want to hear from Coach Harbaugh. I want to hear from Steve Bisciotti and Dick Cass.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1067 on: September 08, 2014, 05:27:41 PM »

The policy technically says the suspension can be longer or shorter due to circumstances.
Yes, and then it goes on to list some example extenuating circumstances; pregnant, use a weapon, wail on her repeatedly and choking. What's the aggravating condition here? Being in an elevator?
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1068 on: September 08, 2014, 05:32:19 PM »
Yes, and then it goes on to list some example extenuating circumstances; pregnant, use a weapon, wail on her repeatedly and choking. What's the aggravating condition here? Being in an elevator?

I hope this makes sense - You're technically wrong but I know what you mean.  The letter doesn't limit Goodell's authority on a longer suspension at all.  It's just a set of guidelines.  But again, like you said, Goodell completely tossed aside his own words when dropping the indefinite suspension.  He didn't care.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1069 on: September 08, 2014, 05:38:40 PM »
Calvin Johnson is such a beast. /captain obvious

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1070 on: September 08, 2014, 05:40:12 PM »
What Goodell wants is . . .  (b) make sure another team doesn't sign Rice, provoking a new shit storm.

. . .

The second goal has been technically accomplished, but he's risking a grievance being filed by the union, which it could easily win.  Also, like you said, people would eventually forget about this anyway.  Now Goodell is ensuring it will be dragged out.

In my opinion, that is actually fine.  I disagree that people will forget about it.  I think Barto is right that some team out there may have picked him up eventually.  Goodell made sure that did not happen, and the fact that the union will now have to get involved is just an unfortunate but acceptable consequence. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1071 on: September 08, 2014, 05:42:33 PM »
In my opinion, that is actually fine.  I disagree that people will forget about it.  I think Barto is right that some team out there may have picked him up eventually.  Goodell made sure that did not happen, and the fact that the union will now have to get involved is just an unfortunate but acceptable consequence.

I'm curious, are you suggesting that suspending Rice indefinitely was the right decision?  Maybe I'm being naive, but if I were Goodell I wouldn't want to do something that so blatantly violates the CBA.
Over and over again

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1072 on: September 08, 2014, 05:44:09 PM »
Ravens press conference coming up. I don't want to hear from Coach Harbaugh. I want to hear from Steve Bisciotti and Dick Cass.

That was not impressive. ESPN's Tom Jackson is saying everything that I have been saying/thinking all day, so it's nice to hear from someone like him.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1073 on: September 08, 2014, 05:47:06 PM »

I hope this makes sense - You're technically wrong but I know what you mean.  The letter doesn't limit Goodell's authority on a longer suspension at all.  It's just a set of guidelines.  But again, like you said, Goodell completely tossed aside his own words when dropping the indefinite suspension.  He didn't care.
It makes perfect sense. I get that it doesn't limit Goodell's options, but rather expand them. However, you need to have something to hang your hat on. If you're going to invoke something so vague and non-specific, you need to justify it each and every time.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1074 on: September 08, 2014, 06:45:22 PM »
Apparently TMZ has proof the NFL had the video and will be releasing it tomorrow.

If true, prepare for the Internet to blow up.  If you thought Sterling was exciting, you're about to see some shit.
Over and over again

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1075 on: September 08, 2014, 06:46:47 PM »
Apparently TMZ has proof the NFL had the video and will be releasing it tomorrow.

If true, prepare for the Internet to blow up.  If you thought Sterling was exciting, you're about to see some shit.

I can't wait to see their proof. I will not be happy if the Ravens had the video this whole time!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1076 on: September 08, 2014, 07:00:36 PM »

I'm curious, are you suggesting that suspending Rice indefinitely was the right decision?  Maybe I'm being naive, but if I were Goodell I wouldn't want to do something that so blatantly violates the CBA.

Yes, I think it was.  And rightly or wrongly, it forces the labor arbitration process to sort this out and come up with an ultimate outcome rather than Goodell having to do it.  And that's fine because Goodell is a in no-win situation.  Anything short of an indefinite suspension will result in a ton or public outcry that the penality is not harsh enough.  The labor arbitration process will sort it out and, ultimately, the final consequences will be what they will be.

Of course, if there truly is credible evidence that the NFL had the tape and sat on it, Goodell's motives will have been shown to be the worst, so it will all be for naught in terms of him saving any amount of face.  However, with respect to coming up with the "right" outcome with respect to consequences for Rice, it will still likely be the best possible result under the circumstances.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1077 on: September 08, 2014, 07:02:36 PM »
If this is step 1 of the Goodell ouster, I can't wait for step 3, ??? And step 4, profit.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1078 on: September 08, 2014, 07:07:09 PM »
OK, at this point I have to ask why it matters if they had seen the video or not (aside from the bullshit denials, I suppose)? Guy gets arrested for knocking out his girlfriend. Video surfaces of them getting into the elevator, and then him dragging her knocked out ass out of it. He admits what happened (sugar coating it a bit, I assume). A settlement is reached and both The Man and the league act. Why does seeing proof of it actually matter? Everybody already knew what happened. Did anybody really think that knocking out a woman in an elevator was a tasteful thing to do before seeing it happen?

On a different note, before any of this broke this morning I thought to myself that TMZ might be the single most detrimental thing to America and society in general. Then they promptly go and demonstrate it. Frankly, everything that's happening now is being driven by TMZ and we're seeing an increase in this sort of shit happening. What happens when they successfully fuck up a presidential election? I'd consider it better than even money that it happens at the next opportunity. TMZ gets to drive corporate policy in a big way. I'd be amazed if it hadn't interfered in judicial affairs already. Political matters are exactly what it would thrive on.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1079 on: September 08, 2014, 07:15:41 PM »
Yes, I think it was.  And rightly or wrongly, it forces the labor arbitration process to sort this out and come up with an ultimate outcome rather than Goodell having to do it.

So what I think you're trying to say is that, if Rice must be allowed to play, let the NFLPA and the arbitrator eat the backlash?

And that's fine because Goodell is a in no-win situation.  Anything short of an indefinite suspension will result in a ton or public outcry that the penality is not harsh enough.  The labor arbitration process will sort it out and, ultimately, the final consequences will be what they will be.

If the arbitrator rules in favor of a Rice suspension, you could open a bad Pandoras box.  The NFLPA could start appealing, say, drug suspensions and then go the arbitrator and say "the CBA lays out these penalties for drug use, but prior arbitration shows that these words don't actually mean anything."  A big part of why meaningful law matters is that it prevents time and money from being wasted arguing about it.  It prevents instability.

Of course, if there truly is credible evidence that the NFL had the tape and sat on it, Goodell's motives will have been shown to be the worst, so it will all be for naught in terms of him saving any amount of face.  However, with respect to coming up with the "right" outcome with respect to consequences for Rice, it will still likely be the best possible result under the circumstances.

The best possible result is for Rice not to play, but I don't see how the NFL gets there without doing something illegal.

---------------

OK, at this point I have to ask why it matters if they had seen the video or not (aside from the bullshit denials, I suppose)?

The denials are the biggest part.  It would be proof that Goodell is corrupt and a liar.

Guy gets arrested for knocking out his girlfriend. Video surfaces of them getting into the elevator, and then him dragging her knocked out ass out of it. He admits what happened (sugar coating it a bit, I assume). A settlement is reached and both The Man and the league act. Why does seeing proof of it actually matter? Everybody already knew what happened. Did anybody really think that knocking out a woman in an elevator was a tasteful thing to do before seeing it happen?

Not everybody knew what happened.  Apparently, Rice sugar coated his description pretty substantially, and his wife testified while he was in the room (which means she would give bullshit testimony so she wouldn't be beaten again).

The conspiracy theory is - the league knew how bad the incident was, and covered it up on purpose to get Rice back on the field quickly.  This theory might actually be true.

On a different note, before any of this broke this morning I thought to myself that TMZ might be the single most detrimental thing to America and society in general. Then they promptly go and demonstrate it. Frankly, everything that's happening now is being driven by TMZ and we're seeing an increase in this sort of shit happening. What happens when they successfully fuck up a presidential election? I'd consider it better than even money that it happens at the next opportunity. TMZ gets to drive corporate policy in a big way. I'd be amazed if it hadn't interfered in judicial affairs already. Political matters are exactly what it would thrive on.

You mean, hypothetically, TMZ might catch a US president being racist or beating his wife before he gets elected?  Sounds like a public service to me.
Over and over again

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1080 on: September 08, 2014, 07:31:20 PM »
OK, at this point I have to ask why it matters if they had seen the video or not (aside from the bullshit denials, I suppose)?

The denials are the biggest part.  It would be proof that Goodell is corrupt and a liar.

Guy gets arrested for knocking out his girlfriend. Video surfaces of them getting into the elevator, and then him dragging her knocked out ass out of it. He admits what happened (sugar coating it a bit, I assume). A settlement is reached and both The Man and the league act. Why does seeing proof of it actually matter? Everybody already knew what happened. Did anybody really think that knocking out a woman in an elevator was a tasteful thing to do before seeing it happen?

Not everybody knew what happened.  Apparently, Rice sugar coated his description pretty substantially, and his wife testified while he was in the room (which means she would give bullshit testimony so she wouldn't be beaten again).

The conspiracy theory is - the league knew how bad the incident was, and covered it up on purpose to get Rice back on the field quickly.  This theory might actually be true.

You mean, hypothetically, TMZ might catch a US president being racist or beating his wife before he gets elected?  Sounds like a public service to me.
The denials would matter, but not that much to me, honestly. My concern was how they dealt with the situation as it happened. Lying about it months later for CYA purposes never really bugs me all that much.

And anybody who didn't know the severity of it is living in la-la land. Again, dude, everybody saw him drag her unconscious body from an elevator. "Well, I had no idea it was as ugly as it was!" Yeah, whatever.

As for TMZ, it's only a public service if they release something as soon as they got it. They apparently had this video a while and waited until the first Monday of the season to steal headlines. Now they claim to have proof that Goodell had the footage before, but they're not releasing it until after giving him enough rope to hang himself. They're not bringing light to the system. They're manipulating it quite deftly. You honestly think they wouldn't time the release of politically significant information in a similarly systematic manner?

Also, as they demonstrated a while back, they don't exactly give a shit about fairness, either, nor do Americans use much discretion in how they throw around labels like racist or anti-gay; both of which will destroy a public figure. You want to see a potentially good candidate get sunk because they release some 8 year old phone recording of him saying something slightly dubious?
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1081 on: September 08, 2014, 07:32:43 PM »
As for TMZ, it's only a public service if they release something as soon as they got it. They apparently had this video a while and waited until the first Monday of the season to steal headlines. Now they claim to have proof that Goodell had the footage before, but they're not releasing it until after giving him enough rope to hang himself. They're not bringing light to the system. They're manipulating it quite deftly. You honestly think they wouldn't time the release of politically significant information in a similarly systematic manner?

Also, as they demonstrated a while back, they don't exactly give a shit about fairness, either, nor do Americans use much discretion in how they throw around labels like racist or anti-gay; both of which will destroy a public figure. You want to see a potentially good candidate get sunk because they release some 8 year old phone recording of him saying something slightly dubious?

Both points are fair.
Over and over again

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1082 on: September 08, 2014, 07:34:53 PM »
I don't know, I didn't see anything in the video that I hadn't already read about.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1083 on: September 08, 2014, 07:47:31 PM »
Bart's dead on about TMZ holding out for the right moment.  They know what they are doing.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #1084 on: September 08, 2014, 08:15:14 PM »
Agreed 100% on the whole TMZ thing.

That doesn't excuse any wrong-doing on anyone's side...so what happens next?  I'm reminded of when Michael Vick went to prison for animal abuse, and how the Eagles came under such scrutiny for signing him after he got out of prison.

So what happens with Rice?  Certainly beating your wife is a more despicable offense than beating animals (well...that's certainly debatable if you're like me and you love animals much more than most humans  :P)  But I'd be willing to bet this isn't the first time he's hit her.  Forget about his NFL career for a moment- this asshole should be doing jail time.  After he serves his sentence, then perhaps the NFL could consider him "redeemed" and allow him to play- that is if any team would be willing to take him on (but it's a pretty safe bet that some team WOULD be willing to take him on).
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.