Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 279366 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: NFL thread 2014
« Reply #455 on: May 15, 2014, 11:06:31 AM »
I suspect he's taking all of this too personally.

People who complained about how "disgusting" his draft video was missed the point.  He wasn't just crying tears of happiness about being drafted, he was openly weeping because he really thought he was going to be passed over for being gay.  There was nothing contrived or "in your face" about it.  It was actually uncomfortably raw.  Why was he that happy unless he had really low expectations?

Jason Collins handled this with a confidence that was pretty admirable.  He came out, did a bit of publicity stuff, then worked out and got ready to be picked up after buyout season.  I'm not totally sure Sam thinks he'll get a fair look, which is why he's trying to build an off-the-field PR presence.

I hope he succeeds.  But it's hard not to feel nervous for him.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #456 on: May 15, 2014, 11:14:12 AM »
Isn't he doing a disservice to other gay athletes, though? The guy should be making the best of his football opportunity, not self-promoting and hedging his bets. If he turns this into more of a mockery, won't other teams think twice about signing another Sam? If Sam sucks and they have to cut him, aren't they going to be terrified of the backlash? The guy should STFU and live, eat and drink football for a while.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #457 on: May 15, 2014, 11:14:45 AM »
It's a tricky spot, regarding the reality show and all of the attention.  He is striking when the iron is hot, which you can't really blame him for.  If he really did just focus on football, but didn't make the team in the summer, and then tried to go the reality show route, who knows if the interest would still be as high as it is now.  Like I said, he is striking while the iron is hot, but he is a fringe NFL prospect already, and having his attention diverted like this is only gonna make it that much harder on himself to make the team. 

However, the people who are on the "he only dropped to the 7th round because he is gay" train are missing the point, as he was considered only a 4th or 5th rounder by Mel Kiper BEFORE he did awful in the combine, and if some teams were hesitant about taking him cause of the circus that you knew would surround him thanks to the media, can you blame them?  Certainly not.  That is one of the reasons Tebow can't get a job in the NFL anymore (although not good enough to start, he should still be able to be a good backup or role player, but it's not worth dealing with that kind of circus for a guy who is just a backup).  The same thing will likely happen with Sam, unfortunately.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #458 on: May 15, 2014, 11:17:49 AM »
Isn't he doing a disservice to other gay athletes, though? The guy should be making the best of his football opportunity, not self-promoting and hedging his bets. If he turns this into more of a mockery, won't other teams think twice about signing another Sam? If Sam sucks and they have to cut him, aren't they going to be terrified of the backlash? The guy should STFU and live, eat and drink football for a while.

I 100% agree.  I just don't want to make negative assumptions about his motivations.  That would be... prejudiced.

It's a tricky spot, regarding the reality show and all of the attention.  He is striking when the iron is hot, which you can't really blame him for.  If he really did just focus on football, but didn't make the team in the summer, and then tried to go the reality show route, who knows if the interest would still be as high as it is now.  Like I said, he is striking while the iron is hot, but he is a fringe NFL prospect already, and having his attention diverted like this is only gonna make it that much harder on himself to make the team.

Why have a reality show at all though?  It's on Oprah.  It's not going to be a serious exploration of the subject matter.  It's going to be some form of bullshit.  It's hard not to see this purely as self-promotion.

However, the people who are on the "he only dropped to the 7th round because he is gay" train are missing the point, as he was considered only a 4th or 5th rounder by Mel Kiper BEFORE he did awful in the combine, and if some teams were hesitant about taking him cause of the circus that you knew would surround him thanks to the media, can you blame them?  Certainly not.  That is one of the reasons Tebow can't get a job in the NFL anymore (although not good enough to start, he should still be able to be a good backup or role player, but it's not worth dealing with that kind of circus for a guy who is just a backup).  The same thing will likely happen with Sam, unfortunately.

Which is why I agree with Barto that he should go totally media silent and hit the gym.  I'm willing to assume he's doing what he's doing because of good intentions, but that doesn't mean he's making good decisions.
Over and over again

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #459 on: May 15, 2014, 11:37:40 AM »
I wasn't aware that he was only a fringe prospect. I thought he was a definite NFL contributor. Wrong assumption, I suppose.

Wasn't he also the guy with some mad-up girlfriend facebook drama a while back?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #460 on: May 15, 2014, 12:03:37 PM »
Wasn't he also the guy with some mad-up girlfriend facebook drama a while back?
Doubtful.

I think you are thinking of the LB from Notre Dame last year.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #461 on: May 15, 2014, 12:31:09 PM »
Maybe Michael Sam's show will encourage other gay athletes to come out.

I don't know. Just trying not to be as judgmental and cynical as possible about this/him.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #462 on: May 15, 2014, 01:01:43 PM »

Why have a reality show at all though?  It's on Oprah.  It's not going to be a serious exploration of the subject matter.  It's going to be some form of bullshit.  It's hard not to see this purely as self-promotion.

True.  I mean, the whole kiss and cake thing on TV after he was drafted was soooo orchestrated.  Not saying that is a good or a bad thing, but instead of hunkering down and taking the "I want to make the team and nothing is gonna distract me from that" approach, he appears to be going in the opposite direction.  But that's the world we live in now, where everybody wants their 15 minutes, even if it takes a lame ass reality show to get them.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: May 15, 2014, 02:20:10 PM »
I've got not problem with the Sam documentary. Having a few cameras present isn't going to make you work less hard to try to make a team. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #464 on: May 15, 2014, 02:41:48 PM »
I've got not problem with the Sam documentary. Having a few cameras present isn't going to make you work less hard to try to make a team.
Reasonable point. It might well offer him some motivation. At the same time reality TV only exists as a means of administering drama, be it from the stress of the cameras or more often scripted. HARPO wouldn't be in it if it weren't expecting a payday, and that'll only come if people are interested. Interest will require more than meetings and workouts. That equals distraction, me thinks.
E.F. Benson

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #466 on: May 18, 2014, 08:43:24 AM »

The thing that amuses me about the whole "OH NOES REALITY SHOW" thing is that I know the main reason the NFL is uptight about it they don't want anything competing with Hard Knocks. Because the NFL forcing teams to admit cameras for the reality shows they approve of is cool.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #467 on: May 18, 2014, 08:51:10 AM »
I've never seen Hard Knocks but reading up on how they do that is pretty fucked up.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #468 on: May 18, 2014, 09:11:31 AM »
I've never seen Hard Knocks but reading up on how they do that is pretty fucked up.

What's wrong with it?
Over and over again

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #469 on: May 18, 2014, 09:26:04 AM »
Forcing teams to subject their players to camera crews?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #470 on: May 18, 2014, 09:53:43 AM »
Yeah, but it's a fun show.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline j

« Reply #471 on: May 18, 2014, 10:10:49 AM »
Which is why I agree with Barto that he should go totally media silent and hit the gym.  I'm willing to assume he's doing what he's doing because of good intentions, but that doesn't mean he's making good decisions.

This.  I don't think the dude is doing this stuff for the wrong reasons; my guess is that his motivations are generally pure.  That said, I think he's a little naive, and he probably didn't fully grasp the magnitude of what his announcement would bring about.  It should be expected that the media is going to try to capitalize on the story and milk in any way they can; we've already seen it from ESPN and others and I'm sure nobody was really surprised that a network wanted to film a documentary about Sam.

That said, the one thing I have sort of a problem with is his making this announcement, but then lamenting that he wishes he could just be a "football player" and not a "gay football player."  I know the gay community is clamoring for him to be an outspoken figure, but what's best for him at this point is to:

STFU and live, eat and drink football for a while.

The Rams are absolutely loaded on the defensive line and he's frankly a long shot to make the final cut unless he really brings it in the coming weeks.  And I'm sure he wants to earn his place rather than be a beneficiary of some team being "afraid" to cut him for political reasons.

-J

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #472 on: May 18, 2014, 11:14:37 AM »

I'm not saying this is a good thing, but it's not really immoral or unethical either.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #473 on: May 18, 2014, 12:13:04 PM »

I'm not saying this is a good thing, but it's not really immoral or unethical either.

Who said it was? ???

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #474 on: May 18, 2014, 01:28:28 PM »
I for one love watching it.  Great insight on how a team works to build their 53 man roster.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #475 on: May 19, 2014, 08:53:10 AM »
Apparently, Michael Sam's reality show is being put on hold.

In the end, Michael Sam did the right thing. He told coach Jeff Fisher and GM Les Snead that he was going to make his situation right, after the Rams were blindsided by the news of the Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN) planning a “docuseries” on his rookie year as the first openly gay NFL player. And OWN did the right thing too, in sitting down with the Rams Friday and not trying to convince club officials what a great show this was going to be. OWN, I’m told, told the Rams they would happily postpone the series—or perhaps never do it—if that was the best thing for Sam’s attempt to make the team as a seventh-round defensive end this summer. The meeting Friday was only positive, I’m told, because OWN was clear that the only way it would do the series is if Sam wanted it and the Rams wanted it. And it’s just as clear that, for both sides, the series would be best done beginning next off-season, assuming Sam makes the team and plays some this year.

In some ways, it’s a shame we won’t see (at least now) the trials of Sam in this rookie year, the personal side of trying to be the first openly gay player fighting for a spot on the team. It would be compelling to see Sam at home with his boyfriend, and certainly a help to the LGBT community, dealing with what surely will be a stressful time in his life. But for Sam, it’s just better that it be postponed.

Why? Because Sam is a football player, a rookie trying to find his way onto a football team as an underdog low-round draft pick. Could it help him make the team, or help him make his mark? I don’t see how. But I do see how teammates could either resent him or be angry with him as a low man on the team totem pole. And Sam doesn’t need that. He needs to find his spot and be solely focused on making the team. There is going to be enough of a sideshow—big media names and TMZ showing up at Rams Park, clamoring to get a Sam story or interview—without Sam voluntarily adding to it. At the scouting combine, Sam semi-pleaded with the media to see him as a football player and not as a gay football player. It would have been hypocritical for him, then, to seek that attention by having OWN cameras in his face off the field as he battled to succeed in his first year.

Thank god.
Over and over again

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #476 on: May 28, 2014, 07:32:44 AM »
4th Ravens player arrested so far this year. Stay classy Baltimore.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: May 28, 2014, 08:15:57 AM »
4th Ravens player arrested so far this year. Stay classy Baltimore.

Since the Steelers are beating the Ravens 19-17 in arrests according to this: https://www.utsandiego.com/nfl/arrests-database/?appSession=289107009056583&RecordID=&PageID=2&PrevPageID=&cpipage=2&CPISortType=&CPIorderBy=

I'll just leave this here for you....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #478 on: May 28, 2014, 08:28:35 AM »
Ray Rice's press conference last Friday was a total sham. I hope the NFL comes down on him hard.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: May 28, 2014, 08:46:11 AM »
Ray Rice's press conference last Friday was a total sham. I hope the NFL comes down on him hard.

Me too. I know that he's done a lot of good in the community over the past few years, but this whole fiasco has been embarrassing to say the least.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #480 on: May 28, 2014, 12:23:52 PM »
Sean Lee being out for the season disappoints me.  He put in work last year on one of my fantasy teams.
Over and over again

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #481 on: May 28, 2014, 03:29:02 PM »
LOL Sean Lee.  One of the best defensive players in the league and hasn't played a full season in the 4 years he's been a pro.  Another injury prone liability.  Good news for cowboy haters.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #482 on: May 28, 2014, 03:40:28 PM »
LOL Sean Lee.  One of the best defensive players in the league and hasn't played a full season in the 4 years he's been a pro.  Another injury prone liability.  Good news for cowboy haters.
Not really. I don't like seeing good players go down, and he certainly qualifies. Hell, I routinely root for the Eagles team jet to crash, but I have a good deal of respect for LeSean McCoy and wish him nothing but the best (and a parachute). Lee might be the only player on the Cowboys that's worth respecting.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #483 on: May 28, 2014, 04:37:22 PM »
Not really. I don't like seeing good players go down, and he certainly qualifies. Hell, I routinely root for the Eagles team jet to crash, but I have a good deal of respect for LeSean McCoy and wish him nothing but the best (and a parachute). Lee might be the only player on the Cowboys that's worth respecting.
Just out of curiosity, why LeSean McCoy?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #484 on: May 28, 2014, 06:59:12 PM »
Just out of curiosity, why LeSean McCoy?
Fantastic all around running back who never seems to find himself at the top of anybody's list. Despite never being the workhorse of his team, it's never really "his offense." He always plays full speed and up until now never bitched or copped any attitude (and I think his current attitude is well deserved). Not crazy about the 14 wives or whatever he's got, but then I'm not looking to marry him, either.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #485 on: May 28, 2014, 09:18:46 PM »
Fantastic all around running back who never seems to find himself at the top of anybody's list. Despite never being the workhorse of his team, it's never really "his offense." He always plays full speed and up until now never bitched or copped any attitude (and I think his current attitude is well deserved). Not crazy about the 14 wives or whatever he's got, but then I'm not looking to marry him, either.

Wuv you Barto :-*
Over and over again

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #486 on: May 28, 2014, 09:30:28 PM »

Wuv you Barto :-*
Well, I still want their charter jet to crash and all, but you know how it is.

More importantly, I meant to say "despite always being the workhorse." Lack of proofreading pretty much bungled my sentiment.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #487 on: May 29, 2014, 09:50:45 AM »

True, and he's definitely worth respecting.  But in this league, he's not gonna get much if he can't play at least a single season without getting hurt.  I didn't mean that people like seeing good players go down.  But, the NFC East will have a field day with the Dallas defense this year.  Without Lee they really don't have a chance.  Especially with Ware gone now.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #488 on: May 30, 2014, 09:14:57 PM »
A player was just banned from the league for a year for using marijuana.

This means Ray Rice is going to be banned for life, considering that he was caught on camera beating a woman.

Right?
Over and over again

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: May 30, 2014, 09:26:08 PM »
A player was just banned from the league for a year for using marijuana.

This means Ray Rice is going to be banned for life, considering that he was caught on camera beating a woman.

Right?

Well, if we're playing it that, way Daryl Washington broke his ex-girlfriend's collarbone last year. So I guess Ray Rice would have to fail two drug tests to make everything even  ;D