Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 279432 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: NFL thread 2014
« Reply #350 on: May 05, 2014, 10:27:53 AM »
As some of you might know, I used to coach football before I decided to pursue chemistry full time, but I'm still a student of the game.  If you like learning about the game at a level that well above TV commentator but still easily graspable by most people, I encourage you to follow Matt Bowen's articles on Bleacher Report.  While it is mostly review for me, we writes really well and I think most of you here would appreciate it.  Here's a link to his archive, but his Friday NFL 101's are the highlight.

https://bleacherreport.com/users/2822152-matt-bowen/archives/newest?rel=nofollow

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #351 on: May 05, 2014, 12:34:24 PM »
Fantastic!  Thank you sir.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #352 on: May 05, 2014, 02:48:08 PM »
And as fans whom hate this practice, we should abhor it rather than act like everyone else should have to put up with bullshit cuz we do too. If we accept the status quo, the status quo it shall remain.

You're right b_f, and it seems like the ones who complain about the status quo the most are the ones who allow it to continue.

I'll bitch about these fuckwad media types trying to chastize players for not attending VOLUNTARY offseason training functions. I don't give a flying fuck about what message it sends. If you give someone the option to have time off, don't be pissed if they utilize it. Classic needy gf mentality bullshit.

Take it from someone in the private sector....none of us are immune.   

In my experience, the people with permanent jobs are the people who do "off the clock" stuff.   There's a name for people who don't "volunteer"...they're called "temps"

It totally sucks...but it's totally fact.

Nah, I don't think that's totally fact.  It doesn't matter who you are.  There are only 2 kinds of people who do "off the clock" stuff.  Those who want to and those who make it look like they want to by crawling up someone's ass.  I'm sure if there was an absolute need for it, then it would be mandatory, not voluntary.  That's what I've seen in my nearly 30 years of experience.  ;)
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #353 on: May 05, 2014, 03:10:53 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #354 on: May 05, 2014, 03:30:29 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: May 05, 2014, 04:44:23 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #356 on: May 06, 2014, 12:00:38 AM »
And as fans whom hate this practice, we should abhor it rather than act like everyone else should have to put up with bullshit cuz we do too. If we accept the status quo, the status quo it shall remain.

You're right b_f, and it seems like the ones who complain about the status quo the most are the ones who allow it to continue.

If by "allow" you mean those who lack the leverage to be able to do anything about it then sure. I'm all ears for your attempt to expand on this point.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: May 08, 2014, 03:04:35 PM »
Can't wait to watch the first round of the draft tonight. I'm actually a Mel Kiper Jr. guy. Love watching him do his thing.

Cleveland should draft Manziel, maybe not at 4... but they could trade down, or trade up from 26. That franchise needs to roll the dice and Manziel is the guy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #358 on: May 08, 2014, 03:14:22 PM »
I won't watch, but I am mildly interested to see who the 49ers pick up and where Manziel goes. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: May 08, 2014, 03:39:57 PM »
And with the Patriots first pick of the first round.....they have traded out for a second and a 3 round pick,  *pick team* is on the board.

I hate hearing this almost every year.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #360 on: May 08, 2014, 03:54:07 PM »
Wait, what?  I thought it doesn't start for another 2 hours.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: May 08, 2014, 03:59:51 PM »
Was going to start a poll, as I can't decide which is the more annoying sports term: "Mock Draft" or "Bracketology."

Won't get excited for football till September, butt will continue to enjoy more months of hearing "...defending Super Bowl champion Seahawks..."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: May 08, 2014, 04:03:04 PM »
Wait, what?  I thought it doesn't start for another 2 hours.

I'm just mocking what the Pats do almost every year. :lol

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #363 on: May 08, 2014, 04:06:06 PM »
Very excited for the draft tonight. I think with one more great draft class the Eagles can be serious contenders to the likes of Seattle and SF. They aren't there yet, but the next three days could make a huge difference.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #364 on: May 08, 2014, 04:51:16 PM »
And with the Patriots first pick of the first round.....they have traded out for a second and a 3 round pick,  *pick team* is on the board.

Yeah, maybe their dumb asses will pick a QB in the sixth round or something.  :rollin

Personally, I'm a fan of the approach. Almost all draft picks carry a fair amount of risk. Nobody likes spending a first rounder on a bust. Yet if you're adept at picking talent you can do quite well in the latter rounds. NE fits into that category and they seem to do alright in that regard. Furthermore, where they're at doesn't offer a whole lot of upside, yet if there's a player somebody desperately wants, hell yeah you trade down a few notches. Belichick apparently doesn't much favor spending high draft picks on LB's and the TE's they are interested will be later round prospects, so trading down won't bother me. Granted, it lacks the excitement of the big draft day pick, but as NE has demonstrated, it can be made to work wonders for the long term.

There's also the fact that in the modern league, it's not like you're drafting somebody for a long period of time. Since there's no loyalty in the league anymore, it makes sense to spend high draft pick money on known quantities; ie. free agents. I'd say the Patriots did pretty well with that this year.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #365 on: May 08, 2014, 06:01:18 PM »
I hope to see a bunch of trades early in the draft. It's the only thing that makes it not mostly boring.

Also, Clowney will not live up to the hype of being the number 1 pick in this draft.  His lack of a good work ethic won't fly in the NFL.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #366 on: May 08, 2014, 06:16:57 PM »
First pick is in the books, and we're off and running!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: May 08, 2014, 06:17:07 PM »
Work ethic can be taught/learned. I'm sure JJ Watt will take Clowney under his wing. Texans made the right pick. They have a good chance at going right back to the playoffs this season.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #368 on: May 08, 2014, 06:18:09 PM »
Clowney and Watt?  Jesus.
Over and over again

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: May 08, 2014, 06:19:53 PM »
Clowney and Watt?  Jesus.

Andrew Luck be like  :censored

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #370 on: May 08, 2014, 06:23:07 PM »
:lol  I don't usually watch the draft, but I have it on in the background while I'm working.  Why do teams take so long in the beginning?  If you are #1 or #2, I can't fathom any need to take more than 30 seconds to post your decision.  There are no variables on the table that haven't been there for the weeks leading up to the draft.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: May 08, 2014, 06:24:19 PM »
:lol  I don't usually watch the draft, but I have it on in the background while I'm working.  Why do teams take so long in the beginning?  If you are #1 or #2, I can't fathom any need to take more than 30 seconds to post your decision.  There are no variables on the table that haven't been there for the weeks leading up to the draft.

From what I understand... they're on the phone with teams interested in trading up. Can't hurt to hear what you could potentially get for trading down.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: May 08, 2014, 06:26:58 PM »
St. Louis take Robinson. Great pick, especially with the defenses that are in that division.

Jacksonville has got to be torn between Watkins or Mack. They're got needs all over, and these two guys could be elite.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #373 on: May 08, 2014, 06:27:15 PM »
But how likely is it that a #1, #2, or #3 pick are really going to give those picks up?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: May 08, 2014, 06:29:57 PM »
But how likely is it that a #1, #2, or #3 pick are really going to give those picks up?

Not too likely.. but I don't think that it hurts to listen to all offers. You never know when a team's going to give you a sweetheart deal like Washington gave St. Louis in 2012 so they could move up and pick Griffin. Heck, that #2 overall that St. Louis just used  was Washington's pick.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: May 08, 2014, 06:31:57 PM »

Jacksonville has got to be torn between Watkins or Mack. They're got needs all over, and these two guys could be elite.

Or they can reach for a QB! Hopefully it works out for them.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #376 on: May 08, 2014, 06:33:09 PM »
Who is Blake Bortles?  Why did the Jags pick him instead of Manziel or Bridgewater?

I don't watch college ball.  I have no idea if this pick is good or bad.  It's just so bizarre.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #377 on: May 08, 2014, 06:35:16 PM »
Bortles is kind of a surprise, but let's remember that a lot of teams are not high on Manziel, so he is not the can't miss prospect that some (see: Gruden) are making him out to be. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: May 08, 2014, 06:35:43 PM »
Who is Blake Bortles?  Why did the Jags pick him instead of Manziel or Bridgewater?

I don't watch college ball.  I have no idea if this pick is good or bad.  It's just so bizarre.

He's a big kid 6'4", 230 who has played in a pro system. It was a tossup of who would be picked first between him and Manziel. Bridgewater's stock has plummeted over the past few months. But he could still get picked tonight, especially if teams like Cleveland, Oakland, Arizona address their QB needs. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: May 08, 2014, 06:36:04 PM »

Yeah, maybe their dumb asses will pick a QB in the sixth round or something.  :rollin

Personally, I'm a fan of the approach. Almost all draft picks carry a fair amount of risk. Nobody likes spending a first rounder on a bust. Yet if you're adept at picking talent you can do quite well in the latter rounds. NE fits into that category and they seem to do alright in that regard. Furthermore, where they're at doesn't offer a whole lot of upside, yet if there's a player somebody desperately wants, hell yeah you trade down a few notches. Belichick apparently doesn't much favor spending high draft picks on LB's and the TE's they are interested will be later round prospects, so trading down won't bother me. Granted, it lacks the excitement of the big draft day pick, but as NE has demonstrated, it can be made to work wonders for the long term.

There's also the fact that in the modern league, it's not like you're drafting somebody for a long period of time. Since there's no loyalty in the league anymore, it makes sense to spend high draft pick money on known quantities; ie. free agents. I'd say the Patriots did pretty well with that this year.

Problem with the Pats is 8 of their 10 #1 picks have had a substantial impact on this team while they've had so many 2nd round busts.  Value is great if you hit on it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #380 on: May 08, 2014, 06:36:29 PM »
Bills just traded up to 4.  Wonder if they are gonna go WR.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: May 08, 2014, 06:36:45 PM »
Great trade by the Browns to allow the Bills to move from 9 to 4.

Guess they're going for Mack.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: May 08, 2014, 06:37:37 PM »
Bills just traded up to 4.  Wonder if they are gonna go WR.

Yeah... that makes more sense than Mack. Buffalo definitely needs help at the WR position.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #383 on: May 08, 2014, 06:37:57 PM »
I love that move by the Bills.  Sammy Watkins, it is.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #384 on: May 08, 2014, 06:38:32 PM »
Atta boys Bills  :tup