Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 279362 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: NFL thread 2014
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2014, 11:02:43 AM »
Those Bucs unis remind me of something from the XFL.

Definitely.

As a '9er fan, I'm not overly concerned at this stage.  As is evident from this thread, it's a slow time for NFL news, so anything gets blown out of proportion if it looks like it might be newsworthy.  It's hard to tell whether there is any genuine frustration.  And even if there is some, as a practical matter, a lot of that is likely to vanish into thin air if the team makes it to the next level and wins a Super Bowl.  For right now, I'm just chalking it up to rumor mill and slow news day.

I hope you're right.

Bucs uniform:  The numbers are what kill it for me.  If they went back to the numbers that they have now, that uniform would be just fine.  Whatever...

Oh yeah.  They look like digital numbers on an alarm clock.

Fantastic news!

https://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10545077/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-cleared-play-2014-passing-neck-exam

This IS fantastic.  I need more Manning in my life.  Hopefully they can be better next year.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2014, 11:46:36 AM »
Those Bucs unis remind me of something from the XFL.

'xactly what I was gonna say.  That's straight from the Vince McMahon branding department.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2014, 11:54:21 AM »
Speaking of XFL, in case anyone forgot how bad it really was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioh3dXJnzws

Especially the commentary. YOU KNOW THERE'S NO SLIDING HERE OUR QUARTERBACKS ARE REQUIRED TO PLAY THE GAME MUWAHA

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2014, 12:39:06 PM »
Speaking of XFL, in case anyone forgot how bad it really was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioh3dXJnzws

I'm not really seeing the "bad" part.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
Niners re-sign Boldin.....  Happy Bosky?   :biggrin:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2014, 12:56:05 PM »

I'm not really seeing the "bad" part.  :lol

Did you fast-forward past the "scramble"? How about the staged locker-room WWE-type scenes.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2014, 01:05:53 PM »
Niners re-sign Boldin.....  Happy Bosky?   :biggrin:

Pretty much everything pointed toward re-signing him, so I'm not surprised.  But it's good to see that it is a done deal.  Details of the deal have not been disclosed, but unofficial reports say 2 years $12M.  Both the length and the amount seem right to me.  On both fronts, the message is that they value him, but they aren't going to overextend themselves as a team and end up hurting themselves in other areas.  That's a good signing.  :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2014, 01:24:38 PM »
I don't like defending him... he's a scrapper.  I would have been content to see him leave the NFC West.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2014, 02:40:31 PM »
Yea I don't really follow hockey that much but I found this to be very interesting.

Referee wears helmet cam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEBoOr12BrI

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2014, 03:00:43 PM »
Yea I don't really follow hockey that much but I found this to be very interesting.

Wrong sport?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2014, 03:36:51 PM »

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2014, 04:01:07 PM »
I do think it is a bit of an extreme; then again, as a mixed man, I hate the N word and I also hate how African Americans use it to refer each other. I don't care you replace the "-er" with an "a." It's still disgusting.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2014, 04:48:04 PM »
I think I have to agree with part of Sherman's argument. How can you just ban 1 word?  If you're going to do it , and I think they should, all racist/derogatory  terminology should be banned.  The trend, especially recently, in the NFL is to make it like any other work place environment.  No Hazing, no discrimination and no harassment. 

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2014, 04:54:17 PM »
I think I have to agree with part of Sherman's argument. How can you just ban 1 word?  If you're going to do it , and I think they should, all racist/derogatory  terminology should be banned.  The trend, especially recently, in the NFL is to make it like any other work place environment.  No Hazing, no discrimination and no harassment.

:iagree: 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »
It'd be nice if, in future societies, it was mandatory for businesses to respect free speech.  Like, the NFL banning players from using the N-word, as long as it's not being used in a hateful way, should actually be illegal.
Over and over again

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2014, 11:41:49 PM »

Wrong sport?
Me:  :facepaml:

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2014, 04:41:13 AM »
It'd be nice if, in future societies, it was mandatory for businesses to respect free speech.  Like, the NFL banning players from using the N-word, as long as it's not being used in a hateful way, should actually be illegal.
Where's this idea that you're free to act however you want at work coming from? How is it related to "free speech"?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2014, 06:22:07 AM »
Where's this idea that you're free to act however you want at work coming from? How is it related to "free speech"?

It's worrying to me that work places are basically trying to create a society of compliant, sanitized, inoffensive drones.  I get that, if you're on the clock as a representative of a company, what you say obviously has to be controlled.  Whether you're a cashier or a big money lawyer, you need to talk the right way.  What I mean is that companies shouldn't be able to punish or discipline you for anything you say outside of work that doesn't reveal business secrets or badmouth the business.

And this thing where the NFL thinks you can take football players, who are crazy aggresive people, and regulate what they say on the field, is insane to me.  And I mean insane literally.  It's hard for me to believe this will work very well.  And I don't know where they think they get the moral authority to do this.  The racial component is, of course, impossible to ignore.
Over and over again

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2014, 06:43:20 AM »

It's worrying to me that work places are basically trying to create a society of compliant, sanitized, inoffensive drones.  I get that, if you're on the clock as a representative of a company, what you say obviously has to be controlled.  Whether you're a cashier or a big money lawyer, you need to talk the right way.  What I mean is that companies shouldn't be able to punish or discipline you for anything you say outside of work that doesn't reveal business secrets or badmouth the business.

And this thing where the NFL thinks you can take football players, who are crazy aggresive people, and regulate what they say on the field, is insane to me.  And I mean insane literally.  It's hard for me to believe this will work very well.  And I don't know where they think they get the moral authority to do this.  The racial component is, of course, impossible to ignore.
Oh, I agree that the rule is dumb, and borderline racist. But I just don't get your rationale. It appears to me the NFL is trying to regulate what players do and say on the field and in the locker room. How can you liken that to businesses monitoring what their employees say outside of work?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2014, 06:47:39 AM »
To me, it's all part of a broader cultural trend.  But it's too abstract for a Football thread, so I can't blame anyone for not caring.
Over and over again

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2014, 07:31:15 AM »
The NFL (or any sport league for that matter) isn't exactly your traditional work environment.  Players are not actual employees of the team/franchise, they are simply under contract to perform duties.  I'm not sure they should be held to the same standards as official employees - that's the point of being a contracted employee (in any industry/profession)... you don't have an employer to "tell" you what to do.  Should their be a league-wide code of conduct?  Yes.  But spelling out a code of conduct down to specific words isn't necessary.  Insults and trash talking is a given in pro sports.  Why the NFL feels they need to regulate that aspect of the game I don't know. 

This sets a slippery precedent... that all major sports leagues may have to follow.  I'll be that the NBA isn't watching this very closely.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2014, 08:51:13 AM »
All true.

What bothers me too is that I like when sports get gritty.  I enjoyed Sherman's rant the moment I heard it.  KG was fun because, at least when it came to his choice of words, he was a crazy person.  I like watching tough defenses.  The Niners/Seahawks game was great.

Unfortunately, it seems that sports viewership as a whole disagrees.  Sports leagues become more sanitized all the time and people approve.  For whatever reason, the public lumps all the things above with workplace bullying (clearly wrong) and playing dirty to intentionally hurt other players.  Being tough and being a psychopath are not the same thing.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2014, 09:00:37 AM »

Oh, I agree that the rule is dumb, and borderline racist. 

Um, what?  I think most would agree that the n-word is the most vile, racist word in the English language, and telling players not to say a racist word is somehow broderline racist?  I can't wait to hear the rationale behind that.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2014, 09:04:16 AM »
It's white people making black people talk a certain way.
Over and over again

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2014, 09:32:19 AM »

Oh, I agree that the rule is dumb, and borderline racist. 

Um, what?  I think most would agree that the n-word is the most vile, racist word in the English language, and telling players not to say a racist word is somehow broderline racist?  I can't wait to hear the rationale behind that.
Except it's not, within certain communities, where the leadership of those communities even disagrees about the use of the world. I'm sure you'll find plenty of people of color against using the word, but there are even more (including community leadership) who use the word in an internal, non-racist way pretty consistently. No doubt, it's a delicate situation - obviously, DeSean Jackson using the word with LeSean McCoy is completely different than Riley Cooper using it with some security guards he doesn't like. But that delicacy is EXACTLY the reason why a broad sweeping new "rule" is NOT going to solve the problem. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 09:49:20 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2014, 10:14:07 AM »

In the workplace I can't call my fellow white co-workers Crackers...or white trash or rednecks without getting fired.  As far as the "Workplace" is concerned, which as much as it's a unique workplace, professional sports locker rooms and playing fields are workplaces.  As far as the non workplace is concerned it's always been a head scratcher to me how the n word is regarded as one of the most insulting words in the english language, yet inside the black community it's acceptable and really meaningless.  Here again, I don't call my friends things that are considered racist, why would I?  Cultural difference?  Regardless....it still doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2014, 10:18:17 AM »
It's not that there aren't serious issues with black people saying the n-word, even the 'a' version.

But it's not the place of authority figures to tell people how to talk.

Racial divides in this country still exist.  Your experience dealing with the cops will be completely different based on race.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 10:26:14 AM by ReaPsTA »
Over and over again

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2014, 10:28:57 AM »

In the workplace I can't call my fellow white co-workers Crackers...or white trash or rednecks without getting fired.  As far as the "Workplace" is concerned, which as much as it's a unique workplace, professional sports locker rooms and playing fields are workplaces.  As far as the non workplace is concerned it's always been a head scratcher to me how the n word is regarded as one of the most insulting words in the english language, yet inside the black community it's acceptable and really meaningless.  Here again, I don't call my friends things that are considered racist, why would I?  Cultural difference?  Regardless....it still doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
I'd say it's an unfortunately double standard thanks to some really unfortunate history. I wish it'd go away.

Getting a bunch of suits and ties together to create a new rule "for everyone" isn't the way, though. It's not going to solve the problem.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2014, 10:40:07 AM »

Getting a bunch of suits and ties together to create a new rule "for everyone" isn't the way, though. It's not going to solve the problem.

You are probably 100% correct PC.   The problem has to be resolved within ourselves.   BUT..... we have to take out the emotional aspect of it and look at it from the business standpoint.   I think we all loathe the corporate entities...or the suits and ties as you called them.   In the corporate world, if you allow such practices, it's almost guaranteed that the lawsuits won't be far behind.  Like it or not, I think it has to apply to professional sports too.   Look at what just happened with the Incognito ordeal.  I don't know if anyone has done anything lawsuit wise yet...but If I were a betting man I'd say it will probably happen.  The corporations have learned the painful ($$$$) lessons of not addressing such issues.  That's why at my work, the HR department is bigger than the Safety department , and I work in one off the most dangerous environments there is (Oil Refinery)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2014, 10:49:41 AM »
BUT..... we have to take out the emotional aspect of it and look at it from the business standpoint.

Narratives like this are the problem.  Business shouldn't be put above respecting peoples' humanity.

In the corporate world, if you allow such practices, it's almost guaranteed that the lawsuits won't be far behind.  Like it or not, I think it has to apply to professional sports too.   Look at what just happened with the Incognito ordeal.  I don't know if anyone has done anything lawsuit wise yet...but If I were a betting man I'd say it will probably happen.  The corporations have learned the painful ($$$$) lessons of not addressing such issues.  That's why at my work, the HR department is bigger than the Safety department , and I work in one off the most dangerous environments there is (Oil Refinery)

I didn't think of this, and it's a great point.
Over and over again

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2014, 11:03:08 AM »

You are probably 100% correct PC.   The problem has to be resolved within ourselves.   BUT..... we have to take out the emotional aspect of it and look at it from the business standpoint.   I think we all loathe the corporate entities...or the suits and ties as you called them.   In the corporate world, if you allow such practices, it's almost guaranteed that the lawsuits won't be far behind.  Like it or not, I think it has to apply to professional sports too.   Look at what just happened with the Incognito ordeal.  I don't know if anyone has done anything lawsuit wise yet...but If I were a betting man I'd say it will probably happen.  The corporations have learned the painful ($$$$) lessons of not addressing such issues.  That's why at my work, the HR department is bigger than the Safety department , and I work in one off the most dangerous environments there is (Oil Refinery)

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. The thing is, this "rule" isn't going to solve any of whatever real issues that go on in the locker room. It's just another face-saving thing the NFL does to make itself look up-to-speed on issues people care about. 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2014, 11:17:17 AM »
It's not just for locker room reasons.

They're trying to make it appear that Football players aren't "thugs."  Which is fine.  Pander to overly straight laced people.  At some point, they'll succeed in making Football so boring that no one wants to watch it.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2014, 11:52:06 AM »
I agree that this won't solve the problem, but saying it is borderline racist?  C'mon, let's be serious.  It is not about white people telling black people what they can and cannot say, especially since the rule would be about anyone - black, white, hispanic, etc. - saying it; it is about the NFL trying to take a vile and racist word out of the game.  Again, it won't solve the problem, but I think it comes from a good place. 

CrimsonSunrise's post about it was really good, especially when looking at it from a HR point of view.  In this day and age, when so many look to be offended by anything, why not do everything we can to get people to not say a word almost everyone considers vile?

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2014, 11:54:20 AM »
  At some point, they'll succeed in making Football so boring that no one wants to watch it.

Yeah... they're heading towards that for sure.  You have a lot of current and ex-NFL players and coaches saying the same thing.  The game is changing in a lot of aspects, most of them not for the better.  If the trends keep going the way they are, we might be watching flag football in 20 years.... :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2014, 12:11:38 PM »
Addressing CS's point, is the cost of ignoring it from a HR standpoint greater than defending it in the inevitable 1st amendment case that'll pop up the first time somebody gets fined or suspended for something he said at a bar? I'm guessing not. Besides which, they might actually win a case against a disgruntled ex-player who felt slighted by his teammates, setting a nice precedent for them. I'm not sure the free speech angle is one they can win.

What really amuses me is that the average age of an NFL owner is probably over 60, and half of them are Southerners. You think this is really something that's troubling them from any perspective other than PR? I'd be interesting to be a fly on the wall during one of their meetings in light of this thing.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson