Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 279419 times)

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: NFL thread 2014
« Reply #245 on: March 22, 2014, 11:50:20 AM »
As much as I love dogs-and living in the region of Virginia where Vick came from, I know just about every foul, disgusting thing about that story-the man did his time, seems contrite, and seems thus far to have learned his lesson. That's the point of rehabilitation, after all. I think I will always look at him with a LITTLE concern-he did some fucking horrible things with those dogs-but for now he's earned the benefit of the doubt.

As others have said, the Jets deserve scorn for hiring a QB with perpetual injury and turnover issues and an inability to consistently play well. That's beef enough.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #246 on: March 22, 2014, 11:57:30 AM »
I tend to agree with this. It's not like he had an epiphany one day and decided to change his life for the better. It took a federal investigation, and he was only "sorry" after he got caught. Pathetic.

I'm not going to exactly disagree with you, but it's still only half the story.  I just think you can't not give credit to someone who is willing to put in the work to leave behind a dark, evil, fucked up past and try to live the rest of your life the right way.

I doubt I'll ever be able to totally buy into Vick's redemption.  What he did was too horrible.  But he's handling his business above and beyond what's necessary.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #247 on: March 22, 2014, 12:17:31 PM »
Woah:

https://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/report-eagles-willing-release-desean-jackson

Eagles possibly releasing Jackson if they can't trade him.

I'm not sure how credible this story is.  It seems like opposing front offices trying to drum up buzz that helps them.

But where there's smoke, there's fire.
Over and over again

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: March 22, 2014, 12:48:02 PM »
From all the rumors I've read/heard, it sure seems Kelly has zero patience left for Jackson, and that he is done in philly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #249 on: March 22, 2014, 12:49:34 PM »

But where there's smoke, there's fire.

I am pretty sure that is what many of us always tell you about Rondo. :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #250 on: March 22, 2014, 12:58:03 PM »
lolJets
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #251 on: March 22, 2014, 02:39:47 PM »
This DJax thing looks bad.

Djac wants to know where he stands with eagles, but hasnt returned any of chip kelly's call's since season ended. #communications

https://twitter.com/TheRealDGunnCSN/status/447458821276200960
Over and over again

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #252 on: March 22, 2014, 03:56:59 PM »
I'll be happy if Vick has many turnovers, especially against Miami. :)

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #253 on: March 22, 2014, 09:09:49 PM »
On Vick:  I think what he did was awful.  There's no denying that.  And if it was up to me, he never would have been allowed back in the NFL after his release from prison.  But since the football gods deemed him worthy, not only did he return, but he wound up on MY team.  I was not happy when the Eagles signed him.  But that first season he played in Philly was so great.  I'll never be a Vick fan- I would never wear a #7 jersey.  But if he had continued playing in that manner, and something in the way of a championship would have come of it- well, that's a deal with the devil that I absolutely would have been willing to make.

I don't know if he is actually "rehabilitated" or not...but he has been all class throughout this entire past season, what with losing the starting spot to Nick Foles and everything.  But I think good for him for finding a team willing to give him another chance at being a starter. 

On DeSean-  It's a shame that he's so young and has so much talent and he already has such an attitude problem.  It's like he's been taking lessons from T.O.  I would hate to see the Eagles part ways with him, but it seems like he's causing more drama than he's worth. 
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #255 on: March 28, 2014, 12:07:27 PM »
Eagles release Desean Jackson.  :facepalm:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #256 on: March 28, 2014, 12:09:21 PM »
Good move.  Read this:

https://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/03/eagles_desean_jackson_off-the-field_troubles.html

After what happened with Aaron Hernandez, an NFL player with gang ties is likely gonna scare off most NFL teams.  Some team will take a chance on him working out for a year or two, but props to the Eagles for gutting this guy from their team. :tup :tup

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #257 on: March 28, 2014, 12:12:37 PM »
Desean released a statement saying he was never involved in any kind of gang. Not sure who to believe in this case. Either way, I hope to god the eagles draft Brandon Cooks now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #258 on: March 28, 2014, 12:15:44 PM »
I tend to not believe Jackson, since he has always been a hot-dogging d-bag.  When it comes to stuff like this, where there is smoke, there is usually fire.

And let's be serious...he didn't write that statement that was released.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #259 on: March 28, 2014, 12:54:36 PM »
Yeah, I have to agree with pretty much everything you said, but man am I still going miss his production.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #260 on: March 28, 2014, 01:00:53 PM »
I have a hard time believing a word he says.  ...unless, of course, he ends up coming to S.F.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #261 on: March 28, 2014, 01:05:32 PM »
I have a hard time believing a word he says.  ...unless, of course, he ends up coming to S.F.

You're such a homer. :biggrin:

He'll probably end up in the CFL.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #262 on: March 28, 2014, 01:29:56 PM »
Read between the lines of DJax's statement:

Secondly, I would like to address the misleading and unfounded reports that my release has anything to do with any affiliation that has been speculated surrounding the company I keep off of the field.

If you untangle what this sentence literally means, it's saying that his release has nothing to do with speculation about gang affliations.  The Eagles didn't release him because of fan speculation.  They released him, in part, because two artists on his record label are crips members who were accused of murder.

I would like to make it very clear that I am not and never have been part of any gang. I am not a gang member and to speculate and assume that I am involved in such activity off the field is reckless and irresponsible.

No one accused DJax of being in a gang or being involved with gang activity.

If you read the statement without paying attention, it looks and feels like a legally tight denial of the rumors surrounding DJax.  But if you look very closely at the words, there is no explicit denial of the speculation being directed toward him.

This is very bad.  The Eagles are trying to avoid an Aaron Hernandez situation.
Over and over again

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: March 28, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »
For a team who signed dog killer and retained Racial Slur boy.... I am surprised that they flatly released Jackson. And my reaction is this: BRAVO!!!! It takes a lot of stones to cut your best player without getting any sort of compensation. And since the legal team has advised Philly's Front Office not to comment, I tend to believe that there's a very real legal issue on top of his on the field behavioral problems.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #264 on: March 28, 2014, 03:01:44 PM »
Jackson is a good player overshadowed by his douchebaggery.  Doesn't surprise me in the least that they released him.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline dparrott

« Reply #265 on: March 28, 2014, 05:53:13 PM »
Raiders got Maurice Jones-Drew!!!  Just when I push them aside for the Seahawks they start getting good players.  :facepalm:
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #266 on: March 28, 2014, 05:58:23 PM »
When you push them aside? You mean you are band wagoner or am I reading that wrong?

Offline dparrott

« Reply #267 on: March 29, 2014, 08:56:34 AM »
The Hawks got my attention when they got those new uniforms, but they really got my attention with the SB win.  Plus I didn't know how cool Lynch was!  I've been a Raiders fan since I started liking football, but I got fed up with them being so mediocre.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #268 on: March 29, 2014, 09:36:19 AM »
I see there's a twitter campaign to bring Jackson to the Raiders.  I welcome it.  These are the kind of players the Raiders should and used to have.  Good player but a little dangerous.  As long as he stays out of trouble, it should help them.  The Raiders need to be scary again. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #269 on: March 29, 2014, 10:13:46 AM »
For a team who signed dog killer and retained Racial Slur boy.... I am surprised that they flatly released Jackson. And my reaction is this: BRAVO!!!! It takes a lot of stones to cut your best player without getting any sort of compensation. And since the legal team has advised Philly's Front Office not to comment, I tend to believe that there's a very real legal issue on top of his on the field behavioral problems.

When did they cut LeSean McCoy??

The Hawks got my attention when they got those new uniforms, but they really got my attention with the SB win.  Plus I didn't know how cool Lynch was!  I've been a Raiders fan since I started liking football, but I got fed up with them being so mediocre.

I think this post is Exhibit A for being a bandwagon fan. :lol :lol :lol

Offline dparrott

« Reply #270 on: March 29, 2014, 10:23:58 AM »
Say what you want, I'm not ashamed about being a bandwagon fan.  They have a big future and I'm along for the ride.

Offline robbob

« Reply #271 on: April 01, 2014, 03:31:44 AM »
Spring is here, but it's never the wrong time to talk football! Big Bear fan here, haven't seen much on the Bears in this blog, come on, there's got to be some other fans. Really like the moves they made on defense so far, especially on the D-line. The Jared Allen signing was surprising, they could have a great rotation at DE with Allen, Houston and Willie Young. Hoping they draft a couple of studs for the secondary, they need to get younger at CB and get a good safety.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #272 on: April 01, 2014, 08:08:32 AM »
Gotta love fans who jump around from one team to the next.  So, who's your team this year?  Whoever wins the SB.  Ahh... :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: April 01, 2014, 02:36:11 PM »

I don't think that it's a stretch to call Jackson better than McCoy. One's a 2x Pro Bowler and 2x All Pro, and the Other is a 3x Pro Bowler and 1x All Pro. They're both among the best at their respective position, and they both are absolute game changers.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #274 on: April 01, 2014, 02:50:43 PM »
Say what you want, I'm not ashamed about being a bandwagon fan.  They have a big future and I'm along for the ride.

Personally, I have no problem with "bandwagon fans."  Like whatever team you want for whatever reasons you want.  Makes no difference to me.  Obviously, there can be a bit of a hypocrisy issue for bandwagon fans who pretend they are not bandwagon fans, but that isn't you.  So, bandwagon away, I say!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #275 on: April 01, 2014, 10:18:14 PM »

I don't think that it's a stretch to call Jackson better than McCoy. One's a 2x Pro Bowler and 2x All Pro, and the Other is a 3x Pro Bowler and 1x All Pro. They're both among the best at their respective position, and they both are absolute game changers.

Jackson is not among the best at his position.  He is not a top 10 WR (which I think is a good cutoff for being called one of the best at WR).  Hell, his only All-Pro selection was as a punt returner, not as a WR.  I'll take Megatron, AJ Green, Bryant, Demaryius, Marshall, A. Johnson, Fitzgerald, V. Jackson, Josh Gordon and Julio Jones as the best 10 WRs in football.

McCoy, meanwhile, is a top 3-5 RB, easily. 

And I am talking reality here, not fantasy football numbers.  For example, Jackson put up better numbers than Larry Fitzgerald last year, but Fitzgerald is still a better WR. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #276 on: April 01, 2014, 10:48:10 PM »

Jackson is not among the best at his position.  He is not a top 10 WR (which I think is a good cutoff for being called one of the best at WR).  Hell, his only All-Pro selection was as a punt returner, not as a WR.  I'll take Megatron, AJ Green, Bryant, Demaryius, Marshall, A. Johnson, Fitzgerald, V. Jackson, Josh Gordon and Julio Jones as the best 10 WRs in football.

McCoy, meanwhile, is a top 3-5 RB, easily. 

And I am talking reality here, not fantasy football numbers.  For example, Jackson put up better numbers than Larry Fitzgerald last year, but Fitzgerald is still a better WR.
Yup, yes, and I agree.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #277 on: April 01, 2014, 10:55:10 PM »
I would argue that DeSean Jackson is one of the best receivers in the league.  It really is a shame that there's so much drama surrounding all of this.  I really hate that the Eagles just cut him without at least trying to get some compensation for him.  Come on...he's young, extremely talented...

But total attitude.  Also a very interesting point was made a few posts ago about how the Eagles would sign a convicted dog killer, and also keep someone on the roster who had a few racial slurs in his repertoire- so if there was any small amount of drama or controversy, I can't see the Eagles cutting him just because of rumored gang activity.  There really must be a lot of underlying shit going on.

But at any rate, I do know that DJax was causing a lot of drama, and that never sits well.  And now he's gone and signed with the fucking Redskins, so he's still going to be a thorn in our side twice a god damn year.
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #278 on: April 01, 2014, 10:57:15 PM »
Eh, the Skins still aren't much of threat if you ask me,

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #279 on: April 01, 2014, 11:09:14 PM »
Eh, the Skins still aren't much of threat if you ask me,

I agree, but it's just the principle of the matter. 
By signing with them, he still plays Philly twice a year.
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.