Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 285141 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: NFL thread 2014 v. 31 horse race
« Reply #1540 on: September 23, 2014, 12:26:48 PM »
Personally, my top 3, in order would be something like:

1.  NFL refs
2.  49ers
3.  Seahawks
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #1541 on: September 23, 2014, 01:05:27 PM »
I think those are very fair rankings Kev

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1542 on: September 24, 2014, 07:48:48 AM »
Profootball mock had some good moments this week:

JOHN HARBAUGH
What a comeback! What a victory! WHAT A PROUD WEEK FOR THE ENTIRE BALTIMORE RAVENS ORGANIZATION!

JOHN HARBAUGH
WE SLIPPED BY THE BROWNS LIKE AN INCRIMINATING VIDEO OF RAY RICE PAST ROGER GOODELL’S OFFICE!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1543 on: September 24, 2014, 10:48:11 AM »
I was realizing how, by 4:50 remaining in the first quarter, the Saints had actually scored all the points they'd need to win the game, 13, since the Vikings ended up only scoring 9. I realize there are probably teams who've accomplished this even more quickly. Does anyone know how to look up such a record cuz I'm kind of at a loss as to how I would phrase such a search. I imagine it probably occurred during a shutout though it's possible it didn't.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1544 on: September 24, 2014, 11:03:35 AM »
I'm sure some team returned the opening kickoff, and then went on to either shut out or hold their opponent to just a FG or two.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1545 on: September 24, 2014, 11:23:43 AM »
I'm sure some team returned the opening kickoff, and then went on to either shut out or hold their opponent to just a FG or two.

That's probably the place to start, since an opening TD return is the second fastest score possible.  I think an opening touchback, and then a 1st play 80-yard catch/run would technically be the fastest possible score - eliminates the clock time an opening return would take to actually get to the 20.

Good luck with that.  I look forward to the trivia poll on FB later.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1546 on: September 24, 2014, 12:02:38 PM »
Well, if you want to talk fastest possible score you need to get creative. An opening kickoff misplayed by the receiving team and recovered by the kicking team in the endzone, would be a score with no time taken off the clock. The fastest possible scores are all going to involve the kickoff team scoring or a lot of presnap penalties to move the ball.

edit: Yeah, looks like the Steelers scored a safety one second into a game last year. ...but no shutout.  :lol

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:20:57 PM by yorost »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1547 on: September 24, 2014, 02:09:28 PM »
Wow, that dude didn't even know he screwed up.  :lol

Record for the fastest touchdown was an opening onside kickoff returned 37 yds for a TD in 3 seconds.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1548 on: September 24, 2014, 02:18:37 PM »
That's some amazing clock oversight, in both games, if a 37 yard return officially took less time than a kneel down. Tops 2 seconds on that safety, clock shows 1 second. A full uniform return covering 37 yards in 3 seconds, too?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1549 on: September 24, 2014, 03:39:44 PM »
Or an opening touch back with a quick fumble return or pick-six.  That would likely be somewhere between 5-10 seconds.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1550 on: September 24, 2014, 04:14:13 PM »
...or a snap over the QB's head into the endzone...

:angel:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1551 on: September 24, 2014, 04:45:20 PM »
...or a snap over the QB's head into the endzone...

:angel:

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1552 on: September 24, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
The Saints held the record for fastest score ever for a few years and did it by returning the Panthers' fumbled kickoff 12 seconds into a game. Some team then did basically the same thing but quicker a few years later. I still just wish we could come up with a way to figure this out conclusively. It's just so weird in a depressing way when you think that there have been several games where teams had already lost the game in the first quarter in theory.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 10:49:40 PM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1553 on: September 25, 2014, 07:06:32 PM »
Eli and the Giants look really good early on; Cousins and the Redskins do not.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1554 on: September 25, 2014, 07:10:30 PM »
Oh, right... it's Thursday.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1555 on: September 25, 2014, 08:39:58 PM »
Christ, Cousins has completely imploded. Those B2B picks were really dumb passes.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1556 on: September 25, 2014, 08:56:28 PM »
Three INTs in the 3rd quarter, all of them awful.   

Considering how bad Eli Manning has looked for the last year plus, it is shocking how good he looks again tonight. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1557 on: September 25, 2014, 08:58:21 PM »
Really awful. They'd be better of with Garo Yepremian under center.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1558 on: September 25, 2014, 09:12:49 PM »
Cousins looks awful.  That Joe Theismann sure is a genius. :lol :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1559 on: September 25, 2014, 10:19:56 PM »
Fuck me in the goat ass.  I picked up Eli for this week since Payton is on bye and I forget to put him in the lineup.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #1560 on: September 25, 2014, 10:27:20 PM »
We do a pool at work- about an hour ago I got a text from the guy who runs it:  "Out of 18 people you're the only one who picked the Giants to win tonight."

GO ME!!

As of right now, I'M WINNING THE POOL  :lol

I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1561 on: September 25, 2014, 10:30:36 PM »
You're the Neon Deion of picking.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #1562 on: September 25, 2014, 10:32:04 PM »
You're the Neon Deion of picking.

Let's just hope it continues through the weekend.   :P
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: NFL thread 2014 v. Kirk Cousins Lays the Pipe on His Career Prospects
« Reply #1563 on: September 25, 2014, 10:51:57 PM »
How does Jim Haslett still have a job as a DC in the NFL?  Seriously?  His defense have almost always underachieved or sucked.

His defenses in Pittsburgh in the late 90s were very good, but they were better before he got there and better after he left.

His Rams defenses ranked 23rd, 21st and 28th.

His Redskin defenses have ranked 31st, 13th, 28th and 18th from 2010-2013, yet he was retained as DC despite them getting a new head coach, and hey look, their defense looked like an utter joke again tonight. 

Him still working as a DC is as inexplicable as Brian Scottenheimer still being an OC.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1564 on: September 25, 2014, 11:13:08 PM »
Hey guy, don't forget the bangup job he did for the Saints.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1565 on: September 26, 2014, 03:57:52 AM »

You're right. They should disregard all of the other issues that went into this team loss, isolate the QB who was under duress all game and throw him under the bus.

One game a career doesn't make, one way or the other. The jury's still out on Cousins.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1566 on: September 26, 2014, 08:09:05 AM »

I left that out cause he was the head coach; I was focusing on just his ineptitude as a DC.

You're right. They should disregard all of the other issues that went into this team loss, isolate the QB who was under duress all game and throw him under the bus.

One game a career doesn't make, one way or the other. The jury's still out on Cousins.

I agree, but he looked dreadful last night.  You cannot deny that.

Also, since you were the one who invited this Cousins/RG3 comparison, here is how each has done in their first six NFL starts:

Cousins: 10 total TDs (10 passing and 0 rushing) and 11 INTs, with the Redskins going 1-5.
RG3: 11 total TDs (6 passing and 5 rushing) and 2 INTs. with the Redskins going 3-3.

:corn

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1567 on: September 26, 2014, 09:34:53 AM »

I left that out cause he was the head coach; I was focusing on just his ineptitude as a DC.

I agree, but he looked dreadful last night.  You cannot deny that.

Also, since you were the one who invited this Cousins/RG3 comparison, here is how each has done in their first six NFL starts:

Cousins: 10 total TDs (10 passing and 0 rushing) and 11 INTs, with the Redskins going 1-5.
RG3: 11 total TDs (6 passing and 5 rushing) and 2 INTs. with the Redskins going 3-3.

:corn

Yes.... he looked dreadful. There's no denying that.

Nice comparison for each player's first 6 starts. Here's another QB's stats after his first 6 games.

Peyton Manning: 6 total TDs (6 Passing and 0 rushing) and 14 INTs, with the Colts going 1-5.

Too many variables to make any kind of call based on six starts.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1568 on: September 26, 2014, 09:41:13 AM »
Except that Peyton Manning is not a part of this conversation or comparison, but nice try.

Cousins has only started 6 games, so it only makes sense to compare his 6 starts to RG3's first 6 starts, the big difference of course being that Cousins has had more weapons to throw to in his starts than RG3 did at the beginning of 2012.  I mean, how do Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson catch only a combined 3 balls last night?  Bad quarterback play, that's how.  Cousins has "career backup QB written" all over him.  RG3 might very well have "injury-prone QB" written all over him, which isn't good either, but from what we've seen out of both so far in the NFL, RG3's best is far better than Cousins' best, and Cousins' worst is way lower than RG3's worst.  In other words, RG3 has a much higher ceiling, while Cousins has a much lower floor.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1569 on: September 26, 2014, 09:49:49 AM »
I didn't see the game last night, but a Thursday game is never the measuring stick you want to use because the lack of preparation.

Cousins is getting first team snaps now, but he hasn't been getting them in the past.  RG3 has been getting first team snaps since last season, so it is going to take a little bit before the foreskins truly know what they have with Cousins.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1571 on: September 26, 2014, 10:05:03 AM »
Except that Peyton Manning is not a part of this conversation or comparison, but nice try.

Cousins has only started 6 games, so it only makes sense to compare his 6 starts to RG3's first 6 starts, the big difference of course being that Cousins has had more weapons to throw to in his starts than RG3 did at the beginning of 2012.  I mean, how do Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson catch only a combined 3 balls last night?  Bad quarterback play, that's how.  Cousins has "career backup QB written" all over him.  RG3 might very well have "injury-prone QB" written all over him, which isn't good either, but from what we've seen out of both so far in the NFL, RG3's best is far better than Cousins' best, and Cousins' worst is way lower than RG3's worst.  In other words, RG3 has a much higher ceiling, while Cousins has a much lower floor.

I brought Manning and his stats up to prove how nonsensical it is to use Griffin and Cousins' first six games stats to try to prove your point. Once again.... far too many variables... and if you can't grasp that, or refuse to acknowledge it, then there's really no point in anyone debating football with you. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1572 on: September 26, 2014, 10:16:32 AM »
I never said other variables didn't matter - I simply made a comparison of their first six NFL starts - but you are the one who has been beating the "Cousins might be better than RG3" drum for a long time, basing it on almost nothing ("He looks great in practice!" "Joe Theismann says so!"), and now that Cousins is starting and playing terrible more often than not (he was dreadful in the 4th quarter last week of a close game and awful last night), you want to throw out the "variables" excuse, when you damn well if he had played extremely well so far and the Redskins were winning, you would have been in here spouting off about it. 

There is still plenty of football to be played, and my gut tells me that RG3 will never be able to stay healthy enough to be as great as he was his rookie year, but Cousins will never be anything more than a good backup who throws out the occasional good start when given the opportunity; that is my guess.  Watching Cousins last night, it was like watching the bad Jay Cutler - bad decisions all over the place and just flinging balls all over the field in the hopes that something works out.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1573 on: September 26, 2014, 10:38:51 AM »
:iagree:

But it does beg the question... there's a "good" Jay Cutler?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1574 on: September 26, 2014, 10:57:44 AM »
I never said other variables didn't matter - I simply made a comparison of their first six NFL starts - but you are the one who has been beating the "Cousins might be better than RG3" drum for a long time, basing it on almost nothing ("He looks great in practice!" "Joe Theismann says so!"), and now that Cousins is starting and playing terrible more often than not (he was dreadful in the 4th quarter last week of a close game and awful last night), you want to throw out the "variables" excuse, when you damn well if he had played extremely well so far and the Redskins were winning, you would have been in here spouting off about it.

There is still plenty of football to be played, and my gut tells me that RG3 will never be able to stay healthy enough to be as great as he was his rookie year, but Cousins will never be anything more than a good backup who throws out the occasional good start when given the opportunity; that is my guess.  Watching Cousins last night, it was like watching the bad Jay Cutler - bad decisions all over the place and just flinging balls all over the field in the hopes that something works out.

I proved that the "first six" argument/comparison held no merit. No need to dwell on it.

As for the bolded text, kindly quote any posts that I made in that nature after Washington's drubbing of Jacksonville, or Cousins' 400+ yard performance @Philly (because I kept it in perspective). But what you will find is me attributing Cousins' first pass going for a TD to a blown coverage. So I think you're barking up the wrong tree with that mess.