Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 279402 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: NFL thread 2014
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2014, 09:04:30 AM »
  I disagree with the notion that Romo is a top tier QB.  He's had moments of excellence, but I wouldn't say he's any better than Cutler. 

His contract aside, I don't think anybody thinks Romo is a top tier QB.  Most would agree that the top tier consists of Peyton, Rodgers, Brady and Brees.  I'd put Romo in the top 10, albeit near the bottom.

As for Romo and Cutler, Romo is definitely better.  Since Cutler's first full season as a starter (2007):

Cutler: 146 touchdowns, 107 INTs, and has a career YPA of 7.2
Romo: 189 touchdowns, 88 INTs, and has a career YPA of 7.8

Even last season, Cutler was outplayed badly by a QB on his own team, as Josh McCown looked far better throwing to those weapons than Cutler did.

It really isn't close.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2014, 02:17:56 PM »
By "top tier", I was purposefully not saying "elite".  Yes, we all know the top 5 (in my mind that equals elite).  I'd struggle to put him top 10.  It's his consistency (er... lack of) that kills him.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »
Soooo speaking of terrible uniforms....L.A. KISS.....take at look the arena league's newest teams getup

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2014, 06:18:42 PM »
It's like the AFL parodied itself in both team name and uni. I definitely am enamored with how they seem to relish taking the piss as a foil to the No Fun League. Also, for a team like that playing in Cali, I'm surprised they ain't based out of SF.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2014, 07:02:17 PM »
By "top tier", I was purposefully not saying "elite".  Yes, we all know the top 5 (in my mind that equals elite).  I'd struggle to put him top 10.  It's his consistency (er... lack of) that kills him.
I wouldn't consider Romo inconsistent at all. He has the occasional bad game, like every other QB, and he has an issue with choking. But by and large he plays at a very good level most of the time. Nobody plays at a great level all of the time.

And Gene Simmons should just fucking die already.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2014, 08:20:39 PM »
Soooo speaking of terrible uniforms....L.A. KISS.....take at look the arena league's newest teams getup

That's awesome (for an Arena League team.)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2014, 08:55:51 PM »
And the Panthers are looking to trade Steve Smith.  *weeps*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2014, 09:00:01 PM »
It's like the AFL parodied itself in both team name and uni. I definitely am enamored with how they seem to relish taking the piss as a foil to the No Fun League. Also, for a team like that playing in Cali, I'm surprised they ain't based out of SF.

Actually, this is *EXACTLY* why I think I'm jumping on board with the AFL this year.   I've never really followed it, but it does just have that light-hearted "not quite as serious" feel to it.   And I really like that.   

It's like being a fan of the Lingerie Football League, but without having to make a long list of explanations and excuses that are only going to be met with an eyeroll.   :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

• DT.net Member
« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2014, 09:05:43 PM »
I've been a fan of the AFL off and on since discovering it in '91. If you think any less than 95% of the people you try to discuss it with aren't gonna roll their eyes at you, you're woefully optimistic.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2014, 09:47:26 PM »
A vendor gave me some tickets to an arena game a few years ago. The cheerleaders were more interesting than the game, and the highlight was Drew Pearson being in the audience and getting an ovation. The game itself was just taking turns throwing long touchdown passes and see who scores last. Think ours was 49-42 or something.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2014, 09:51:03 PM »
I went to a few Orlando Predators games, and it was alright. And going off from what El Barto said, i saw no strategy in the game like I'm used to watching NFL or NCAA games. AFL to me was more about the spectacle of the sport rather than the sport itself, and it looks L.A. KISS is going to capitalize on it.

I want to go to opening night just to see if the band plays!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2014, 09:51:09 PM »
A vendor gave me some tickets to an arena game a few years ago. The cheerleaders were more interesting than the game, and the highlight was Drew Pearson being in the audience and getting an ovation. The game itself was just taking turns throwing long touchdown passes and see who scores last. Think ours was 49-42 or something.

So...basketball?  :xbones

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2014, 09:54:09 PM »

So...basketball?  :xbones

lol

• DT.net Member
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2014, 10:16:32 PM »
The game probably seems a bit less strategic since it's somewhat of the polar opposite of the NFL. In an NFL game a team usually score 3-5 times (counting field goals) whereas in an AFL game teams usually only stop the other team 3-5 times so there's a greater urgency to score since allowing a score on defense is the expected outcome so you can't afford to fall behind.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2014, 02:42:42 PM »
NO!  The 49ers let Whitner go...  :(

EDIT:  Never mind.  :D
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2014, 05:19:54 PM »
The game itself was just taking turns throwing long touchdown passes and see who scores last. Think ours was 49-42 or something.

So .... it was a pretty low-scoring game for Arena League.   :lol

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2014, 05:25:11 PM »
Eagles sign Malcolm Jenkins. Like the move. Didn't have to break the break, and he's a definite upgrade over Patrick Chung.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2014, 05:32:08 PM »
Well crap.  The bloodletting in New Orleans continues.  Enjoy Jenkins, Tom -- he's still on the upswing.  No idea why the Saints let him get away.  Not sure who's left on the roster at this point.  Oh yeah, that's right:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2014, 06:41:23 PM »
Jermichael Finley is flying into Seattle tonight for negotiations. 

Hasn't he been hurt really bad lately?   Not sure how I feel about this.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2014, 08:00:09 PM »
Saints sign Jarius Byrd. He's a great player, but I don't understand why the Saints let all those players go and then spend a ton on one guy. At least for rickhawk and bf it will help ease the pain of losing all those players.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2014, 08:39:23 PM »
No it won't. As of the Byrd signing, this offseason has basically been like cutting off a few fingers, giving up a kidney, lung, and gall bladder in order to fund a quarter-inch cock enlargement procedure. Our front office is outsmarting themselves to a dumbfounding extent and we're gonna have a quasi-rebuilding year due to inevitable lack of cohesion and growing pains instead of the 12 or 13 win year we had a legit shot at if we hadn't mortgaged the next two years for Graham.

:rollin

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2014, 08:40:46 PM »
this offseason has basically been like cutting off a few fingers, giving up a kidney, lung, and gall bladder in order to fund a quarter-inch cock enlargement procedure.

So you're saying it was worth it?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2014, 08:51:46 PM »
this offseason has basically been like cutting off a few fingers, giving up a kidney, lung, and gall bladder in order to fund a quarter-inch cock enlargement procedure.

:lol :lol  I'm laughing on the outside but crying inside.  Floyd is right -- the loss of Sproles is going to be HUGE.  He's going to make some other team very happy next season....

• DT.net Member
« Reply #128 on: March 11, 2014, 08:52:44 PM »

I knew this response was imminent when I posted that :lol

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2014, 08:56:40 PM »
Saints sign Jarius Byrd. He's a great player, but I don't understand why the Saints let all those players go and then spend a ton on one guy. At least for rickhawk and bf it will help ease the pain of losing all those players.

That signing does explain why they let Malcom Jenkins leave for your team, Tom.  ;)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2014, 09:11:06 PM »
Jon Martin traded to 49ers.  Probably the best opportunity for him.  Hope he makes the best of it.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2014, 09:28:44 PM »
Jon Martin traded to 49ers.  Probably the best opportunity for him.  Hope he makes the best of it.
Why is it the best opportunity for him? There's a fair amount of ego floating around there. A coach who's a possible nutjob. Pre-existing drama in the locker-room. A possible coaching change. Not saying you're wrong, but it doesn't strike me as a good fit for a guy with depression and self-esteem issues.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2014, 09:57:19 PM »
Not sure I like the Broncos overpaying like that for Talib, but it's obvious they are pushing all their chips in to win a title before Peyton is finished. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2014, 10:05:09 PM »
Not sure I like the Broncos overpaying like that for Talib, but it's obvious they are pushing all their chips in to win a title before Peyton is finished.
Sorry to see him leave NE.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #134 on: March 11, 2014, 10:32:01 PM »
That ought to be a fun first team meeting with Welker.

If Denver can get Ware too... that's gonna be a massive improvement on their D with him and Miller rushing opposing QBs all season.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

• DT.net Member
« Reply #135 on: March 11, 2014, 10:36:12 PM »
I heard they're pursuing Pat Swilling but can't find any sites to confirm it yet. Stay tuned...

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #136 on: March 11, 2014, 11:04:38 PM »
Why is it the best opportunity for him? There's a fair amount of ego floating around there. A coach who's a possible nutjob. Pre-existing drama in the locker-room. A possible coaching change. Not saying you're wrong, but it doesn't strike me as a good fit for a guy with depression and self-esteem issues.

Harbaugh was interviewed for the Wells report and spoke very highly of him.  Whatever the facts, a lot of people are probably questioning Martin.  With the 49ers, he gets to be part of a winning culture with a coach who's done a good job with him in the past.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #137 on: March 11, 2014, 11:12:30 PM »
That ought to be a fun first team meeting with Welker.

If Denver can get Ware too... that's gonna be a massive improvement on their D with him and Miller rushing opposing QBs all season.

I don't remember Talib crying about the hit - that was all Belichick, IIRC - so I think it will be fine.

Their D should be improved, with or without Ware, but Decker's imminent departure will be a big loss.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2014, 11:17:16 PM »
Broncos also got TJ Ward. Their secondary should be much improved.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2014, 11:27:36 PM »
As an Eagles fan, my hope is that the team doesn't make any big, splashy signings.  Keep building slowly and organically.  Don't sign any bad contracts.  Of all teams, the Eagles should know that you can't just buy your way into a Super Bowl.
Over and over again